Author Topic: Cheap recipes you love  (Read 4760 times)

RedMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Cheap recipes you love
« on: July 20, 2013, 01:12:48 PM »
With several threads talking about how to lower cost per person per meal, I thought sharing our favorites would help inspire and save further.

Cabbage noodles (Cabbage Balushka): 15 minute prep, well-loved by the family, few ingredients. What's not to love?!?

Fluffy pancakes : Add fruit, chocolate chips, crumbled oreos, etc on top or in the batter, or eat them plain.  Our favorite are "chunky monkey" pancakes: banana coins in the batter; when done cooking, sprinkle with powdered sugar and top with chocolate sauce.

Crockpot yogurt: several variations on the web.  Basics: heat milk to 185 degrees F, let it cool to 110 degrees F; mix in a container of yogurt from store with active cultures (single serving size or 3/4 cup). Let sit 8 hours.

Soups: chicken noodle, pizza soup (search on allrecipes.com), tortilla soup

Bread: using a bread machine, mixer, or food processor, it's a lot easier than you may think!
My favorite recipe (RAVED about!)
4 cup Water
1 1/3 cup Sugar
3 tablespoon Yeast or 2 packets of yeast
3 teaspoon Salt
1/2 cup Vegetable oil
12 cup Bread flour

Disolve sugar in warm water and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until it makes a creamy foam. Mix in salt and oil. Then mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on floured surface. Place in a greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover with a damp towel and allow to rise at least 1 hour. Punch dough down and knead. Divide in half. Place in greased pans and let rise another 30 mins. Bake at 350 for 30 mins.

Another cooking note: anything you see in the freezer section of the store, you can freeze or make ahead, too!  Make an extra batch or two of cookie dough; cook some now, freeze the rest for later.  Make bread/pizza dough and freeze some extras.  Meals work the same way, too... meatloaf, casseroles, soups, nearly anything!  If you are interested in further make-ahead cooking, google for freezable recipes, make-ahead recipes, Once a Month Cooking, etc.  It's a lifesaver when school starts!!

Please share your favorites!!

footenote

• Pencil Stache
  • MMMing in MN
Re: Cheap recipes you love
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 01:29:01 PM »
+1 on doubling just about anything and freezing.

Another tip for reducing the cost of favorite soups and stews: cut the animal protein in half (ex: 1/2 lb ground beef instead of 1 lb in your chili recipe). Bulk up other ingredients like beans or add beans.

I just made this for first time today: http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/1626803-Hot-and-Cold-Brown-Rice-Salad?full_recipe=true

It was great, and next time I make it, I'm going to use red beans in place of chicken.

Gizbar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Cheap recipes you love
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 06:24:34 PM »
Oh man, I love this topic!

Oats, oats, oats!  At least for breakfast.  Breakthrough: the suckers don't need hot water at all, let alone boiling!

First thing when one wakes up (maybe after some quick relief in the bathroom):

- 1/2 cup oats in serving bowl

- almond milk (or water + 1 tsp honey or more) (or milk, or whatever cold or hot liquid you like), just until it's flush with the oats in your bowl

- 1 tbsp of natural peanut butter (the liquidy all peanuts kind)

Now, if you used cold liquid, you need 15 minutes, so go take your shower or whatever it is you do in the morning.

- 1-3 tsp cocoa (unsweetened; the baking stuff)

- walnuts or almonds, as desired (I use 3-5 walnut halves, usually, wife doesn't add any nuts)

- about 2 tbsp of microwaved frozen blueberries

What we have here, ladies and gentlemen, is healthy chocolate cake.  For BREAKFAST.  It doesn't cost much either if you get big bags of frozen blueberries.  Moreover it can be modified to be way more frugal and even more nutritious. 

I eat this 9 mornings out of 10.  3 years now.  Not sick of it at all.  Maybe it's chocolate addiction?  I'm definitely addicted to PB.

Critiques appreciated, as always.