Author Topic: Cheap gardening  (Read 37014 times)

www.montanahappy.com

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Cheap gardening
« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2016, 09:25:17 AM »
Thanks for the tip about coffee grounds.  I now pick up 5 gallons of coffee grounds every other day from one of my local espresso stands.  They are happy because they don't have to haul the grounds to the trash anymore.  I'm happy because slugs and snails don't like it and they are staying off the plants that I put it around.  Win, win!

What was so funny was that I recently went on vacation and I had several neighbors volunteer to pick it up because they wanted some themselves! :)

Arktinkerer

• Bristles
« Reply #101 on: June 28, 2016, 07:50:59 PM »
Just learned about growing mushrooms in coffee grounds.  Pretty sure I'm going to give it a go.  Should get at least two batches of mushrooms and then the grounds will be compost.  Sounds like getting an extra crop from the grounds rather than just tossing them onto compost pile!

FerrumB5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: June 28, 2016, 09:59:25 PM »
Just learned about growing mushrooms in coffee grounds.  Pretty sure I'm going to give it a go.  Should get at least two batches of mushrooms and then the grounds will be compost.  Sounds like getting an extra crop from the grounds rather than just tossing them onto compost pile!

Share details?

Arktinkerer

• Bristles
« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2016, 05:16:12 PM »
Haven't done any of this myself--  saw demo of growing mushrooms in layered starter/coffee grounds in mason jars.  Also discussion of "wine caps" that will grow on mulch under garden plants.  The growing medium gets saturated with the mushroom root system and serves as the starter for the next batch.  Also saw how it inoculate logs but don't think I'll likely be doing that.