Author Topic: Cheap eats in Germany in the late 1980's  (Read 2444 times)

rob in cal

• Bristles
Cheap eats in Germany in the late 1980's
« on: June 02, 2014, 06:11:43 PM »
    I spent a semester at the University of Freiburg in Germany in 1987.  I usually ate at the cafeteria for lunch and dinner.  IIRC meal tickets were about one dollar and fifty cents. You got a pretty decent meal, and then salads and the vegetable was unlimited refills.  Also if you got the cheaper lunch soup option that was unlimited refills as well.  I was an eating machine back then and I'd end up getting thirds and fourths. I would have a decent breakfast at the university library cafe, and then the lunch and dinner at the cafeteria.  Dinner was served about a 25 minute walk from my house, but I usually walked to get there, so as not to spend extra money on transportation.

Kriegsspiel

Re: Cheap eats in Germany in the late 1980's
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 01:11:33 PM »
When I was younger, we went to pick strawberries. There were bugs everywhere! They were eating the strawberries that dropped on the ground, and laying eggs all over the place. The daughter of the owner went to my school, she was really pretty. I filled up two buckets. I don't even really like strawberries. The field was like a big vineyard. There was also a handpainted sign.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 01:36:49 PM »
I used to live in a cave high above a village.  Once every year that town would get together and exchange presents and sing.  How I hated it.  So one year I went and stole all their presents the night before and just as I was about to toss them off of a cliff, their singing (which happened anyways, in spite of the fact that all the presents were gone!!!) melted my heart and I returned everything and ate a big feast with them.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 11:16:24 AM »
When I was twelve years old, we did a field trip, a lock-in at the zoo. I met this girl, I thought she was so perfect. I was in love with her. But when the sun came up, I knew it wasn't real, 'cause she was ugly and I had grown tired of her.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!