Author Topic: Changed car air/cabin filters  (Read 3184 times)

WTFrugal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Changed car air/cabin filters
« on: January 10, 2015, 02:40:50 PM »
I know this isn't extremely badass but for some reason I've just had a smile on my face all day after doing this. I was at the car shop this morning to get an oil change. I'm not very handy when it comes to things around the house or with our car. Anyways, as usual the shop comes over to discuss other non-sense that they suggest. I declined the suggested air filter changes that was going to run around $60 for both. I was able to pick up the air filter and cabin filter for $18 at the local Autozone ( + 5% for using BOA card). It took about 20 minutes and 2 Youtube videos to get the job done but it felt great.

Next time I'm going to try to change my own oil. To best honest my wife doesn't trust me yet with this stuff... she thinks I'm going to destroy our only car.

Feels like this is going to be a great year.

-WTFrugal

mwulff

• Bristles
Re: Changed car air/cabin filters
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 04:04:33 PM »
Oil change is simple. Take your users manual and check what type of oil it needs. Buy a new oil-filter. Use a proper jack and a stand for safety.

1. Make sure the engine is warm when you turn it off
2. On a level surface jack up the car and secure it with a stand.
3. Locate the drain plug underneath the car and open it. Be aware that the oil will come gushing out, use a plastic container below the sump-plug.
4. Lower the car back down while the oil drains, this will help you get all the oil out.
5. Open the oil filler cap and leave it open. (Makes it easier for the oil to get out)
6. Replace the oil filter now. You may need a special tool here, check your filter type and google your car.
7. Jack the car up again(remember the stand), refit the sump plug and tighten up.

8. Fill up the car with the amount mentioned in the manual. As you get close to full start checking the dip-stick. You don't want to overdo it.
9. With the dipstick at the halfway mark you're done.

10. In the morning with a cold engine check the level again and fill it to the midway point if it needs more.

Good luck

CAtoTX

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 04:57:13 PM »
I know this isn't extremely badass but for some reason I've just had a smile on my face all day after doing this. I was at the car shop this morning to get an oil change. I'm not very handy when it comes to things around the house or with our car. Anyways, as usual the shop comes over to discuss other non-sense that they suggest. I declined the suggested air filter changes that was going to run around $60 for both. I was able to pick up the air filter and cabin filter for $18 at the local Autozone ( + 5% for using BOA card). It took about 20 minutes and 2 Youtube videos to get the job done but it felt great.

Next time I'm going to try to change my own oil. To best honest my wife doesn't trust me yet with this stuff... she thinks I'm going to destroy our only car.

Feels like this is going to be a great year.

-WTFrugal
That's great!  I know exactly how that feels.  Next time you go to get the oil changed...say "I don't want you to take out the air & cabin air filters...I handle that myself."  And then get righteously upset if they take them out anyway, because they have messed with your territory.  :-)

Dan_at_Home

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 07:37:27 PM »
Anyways, as usual the shop comes over to discuss other non-sense that they suggest. I declined the suggested air filter changes that was going to run around $60 for both

That's crazy, I can't believe they charge that much.  I always changes these myself (both of them only take 10-15 mins combined).  In one of my cars, years ago, a shop put in an air filter, and they actually overtightened the bolts on the air filter outer plastic casing to the point where it cracked and it was permanently damaged (when trying to open it, the bolts would spin forever and never come out due to the damage).  Of course the shop never told me about this, even though they would have definitely heard it cracking at the time, I did not find out about it until at least 1 year later.  I fixed this myself by replacing the air filter housing but it cost extra money and was a hassle to install.  One more reason to do yourself.

Oil change is simple.
MWulff is right about this, now that you have mastered the air filters, in a couple months , try taking on the oil yourself (watch youtube videos first), then you will not have to be in the shop at all.

TheGadfly

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 12:10:09 PM »
I know this isn't extremely badass but for some reason I've just had a smile on my face all day after doing this.

Ha! Awesome.  I have the exact same feeling today.  I replaced my battery yesterday after getting it tested for free at the mechanic (it failed).  They wanted to sell me a replacement for $209 plus $15 recycling fee.  Instead I went to an autoparts store, bought the replacement for $100 and THEY gave ME $15 back after I gave them my old battery.

It's the small things that count.

ChaseJuggler

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 04:34:47 PM »
If you're a rookie working on your car, http://www.carcarekiosk.com/ is an incredibly useful resource. You select the make/model and the job you want to do, and it has step by step videos for that exact car! It's how I did my first oil change/air filter job a few years ago.

Nice job on the savings! Air filters are sooooooo easy on some cars =)

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 08:09:53 AM »
Awesome, thanks for the tips!  I ordered a replacement cabin air filter for my Honda Accord on ebay (with better filtration performance than the dealer model) for $5.99 and replaced it myself after spending 3 minutes researching online and watching a youtube video. 

The dealership wanted to charge $55!