Author Topic: Cell Phone Badassity  (Read 3455 times)

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
Cell Phone Badassity
« on: March 22, 2015, 10:02:15 AM »
We are a family of five with four cell phones:

+Two Moto G's on Republic Wireless each @ $10/month plan
+Two iPhones through AT&T @ $90 for two lines

My contract expires w/AT&T tomorrow, so I called to see what they can do to keep me. We want to keep our iPhones & ATT service, b/c on our last trip out west the Republic service sucked...good around here, but not so much while traveling.

At any rate, AT&T customer service was grrreat today. They reduced our two lines from $90 to $75/month + AMEX has an offer $10 statement credit for next three months when you pay your bill w/their card...further reducing my cost to $65/month.

This will make my total cost for four phones @ $85/month...I used to pay that FOR ONE LINE!

Not as bad-ass as some of you flip-phoners, but I'm pretty impressed w/myself.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
Re: Cell Phone Badassity
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 11:12:09 AM »
Looks good, but you may be able to do better without pain. 

Once the iPhones are off contract, you can use Airvoice (which uses the same AT&T towers).  I don't know how much data you use, but I have my iPhone on their $10/month plan, which works great for me.  The also have unlimited call/text with 500meg of data for $30 a month (each). 

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 04:14:01 AM »
Haha, that's not great at&t service; $75 is their standard off-contact price! If you want to keep at&t service why don't you go to an at&t MVNO? Cricket I think is $35 for cheapest data plan, H2O is $27. Straight talk is walmart and I don't want to deal with them so don't know their prices.

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 09:06:01 AM »
I've read lukewarm reviews for Cricket. And at $35 that would save me $2.50/month/line....meh.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 02:16:30 PM »
I've read lukewarm reviews for Cricket. And at $35 that would save me $2.50/month/line....meh.

wait, you pay $75 for two iphones on AT&T? Sorry that's totally different. Are you sure it's not per line?? that's crazy, I've never heard it being that cheap with at&t. Usually it's $75 per line for their lowest data, off-contract.

I had cricket for ~6 months and it was fine. They give more data for the lowest plan. But H2O is cheaper if 500MB is enough.

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 05:53:24 PM »
Yes -- $75 for 2 lines. Unlimited talk, text, and we share 2GB of data. The rep looked at our last three months of data usage (we use about a half GB/month) so the 2GB is plenty.