Author Topic: Car-less for the next 3 weeks!  (Read 1970 times)

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
Car-less for the next 3 weeks!
« on: July 10, 2014, 10:07:43 AM »
I turned in my rental car this morning after buying a very used bicycle earlier this week.  Took it for a 5.5 mile spin on Tuesday and almost fell off when I tried standing afterwards.  Will have to build up a bit more strength to go where I need to go.  The good news is that I am walking distance from my job during this time and only need the bike for groceries and entertainment.

Oh, and I haven't biked (other than taking my kids out to a park) for over 20 years so this is a pretty radical experience for me!  Definitely something I wouldn't have considered prior to finding MMM.

EarlyRetirementGuy

• Stubble
    • Early Retirement Guy
Re: Car-less for the next 3 weeks!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 11:44:08 AM »
I turned in my rental car this morning after buying a very used bicycle earlier this week.  Took it for a 5.5 mile spin on Tuesday and almost fell off when I tried standing afterwards.  Will have to build up a bit more strength to go where I need to go.  The good news is that I am walking distance from my job during this time and only need the bike for groceries and entertainment.

Oh, and I haven't biked (other than taking my kids out to a park) for over 20 years so this is a pretty radical experience for me!  Definitely something I wouldn't have considered prior to finding MMM.

You mention only needing the bike for groceries; Have you got a MMM style trailer for it or will it all be in the backpack?

bbates

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 12:15:34 PM »
Great job!  Keep it up!  Having biked almost everywhere I can for the past 10 months, I can't imagine having to sit in traffic every day and fill up the car all the time.  It saves me tons of money, but I'd keep doing it if only for the life enjoyment it gives me.

foggnm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 03:07:21 PM »
Good job. You will find that once you start biking for simple things, you will wonder why you ever did it any other way. I haven't driven to work in 7 years (granted, I only live 1.5 miles from my job) and the most most enjoyable aspect of it is that when I leave work, I get an relaxing experience, while others sit in a car/traffic/etc. Even if you're not car-less, using the bike for errands and simple tasks is such a treat!

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 06:48:18 PM »

You mention only needing the bike for groceries; Have you got a MMM style trailer for it or will it all be in the backpack?

Backpack.  I needed more fruit today so I went to the store today and used my backpack to carry bananas and a watermelon!  Also biked 7.5mi after that so I'm building up.  I really enjoy it.  Just need to figure out how to bike safely around cars...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 07:58:26 AM by Milspecstache »

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 07:57:28 AM »
A friend has pointed out that my tires are in very bad shape so I am going to head out today on the bike and try to pick up new ones at a shop out in town.  I think it should be an easy enough repair to DIY.