Author Topic: Car Brakes  (Read 2034 times)

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
Car Brakes
« on: August 31, 2016, 06:16:44 AM »
Mechanic tried to sell me brake pad and rotor replacement for around 1K on my Honda Civic. I knew the brakes were shoddy. Bought new brake pads and rotors for less than $200 and over the course of two days replace everything myself. YouTube rocks!!

Next is the AC. Went out back in June and got a quote for $1700 to fix it a week or so ago. Needs new compressor etc. Told them I just wanted my car back. Wife's co-workers husband is a mechanic and going to do it for "free" (case of good beer). I just have to buy the parts, which I might try to find at a junk yard, since my car is 10 years old.

Man I hate cars!!

Tanor85

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Car Brakes
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 06:37:31 AM »
Hello,

How difficult was it to change the rear brake rotors?

I recently had mine changed for a total cost of $400. Parts were only 60$...

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 08:35:59 AM »
Hello,

How difficult was it to change the rear brake rotors?

I recently had mine changed for a total cost of $400. Parts were only 60$...

Not much different than the front. Overall it was pretty easy. I found out there is a set screw that holds the rotor to the hub. This set screw was rusted into place (quite common) on all 4 wheels. It's a rather dumb place to put a steel screw as it will naturally rust into place. I used a stripped screw extractor bit to remove all 4 of them. The screws themselves aren't necessary since the wheel actually holds the rotor in place.

But overall really wasn't difficult.

dz1087

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 11:21:12 AM »
Not much different than the front. Overall it was pretty easy. I found out there is a set screw that holds the rotor to the hub. This set screw was rusted into place (quite common) on all 4 wheels. It's a rather dumb place to put a steel screw as it will naturally rust into place. I used a stripped screw extractor bit to remove all 4 of them. The screws themselves aren't necessary since the wheel actually holds the rotor in place.

My old Pilot was like that but I snapped off the extractor in the dang hole I had drilled in the screw!  Took a Dremel with some sort of diamond carbide drill-bit thingy to get it out!

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 12:11:12 PM »

My old Pilot was like that but I snapped off the extractor in the dang hole I had drilled in the screw!  Took a Dremel with some sort of diamond carbide drill-bit thingy to get it out!

Yikes!! I snapped off the screw extractor on the 2nd screw and had to buy another one. Luckily it just broke off and fell to the ground. I learned quickly not to put too much force on it and let it do the work. I couldn't get one screw out at all. I took a sledge to the rotor and basically snapped the screw in half. Hard to believe one small screw (actually 2 in each rotor) could cause so much misery. 

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 12:31:25 PM »
Youtube is great.  I have learned a lot of helpful things & brushed up on many things that I've forgotten the "details" about over the years.