Author Topic: Cancelled Netflix Account  (Read 8650 times)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
Cancelled Netflix Account
« on: September 19, 2013, 05:54:08 PM »
After some interesting conversations (cajoling) with my boyfriend, we have CANCELLED OUR NETFLIX ACCOUNT :D

This was more to get our lives back, rather than to save the $8/month. But still! Saving money, rediscovering hobbies. I love Netflix, but this was a good move for us.

Has anyone else stepped away from this addiction?

Fletch

• Stubble
Re: Cancelled Netflix Account
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 05:58:07 PM »
Yep, 2 months ago! I had maybe watched 1 or 2 hours a month for a couple months before that, and I can always start again if I want it. No desire to go back yet.

Nicster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 06:59:46 PM »
Just wondering if you have cable or are you going TV-free?

Fletch

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 07:55:32 PM »
No cable, but i do have an antenna that gets NBC/fox/abc/PBS, so I have some tv when the mood strikes.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 09:08:49 PM »
I gave it up in June of 2012.  I also do not have cable, but do have internet.  With the great stuff to watch on the PBS website (for free), and the great DVDs I can get through my libraries, I have way more high quality entertainment than I can use.

AtlantaBob

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 09:16:48 PM »
Just did... well, planning on giving up the whole Internet on Sept 28th. I'm trying to wean myself off of it right now -- haven't seen any Netflix tonight at least! It can be a little unfamiliar (I'd use the word "scary" but I think that's just sensationalizing things). Congrats, and best of luck!

blake201

• Stubble
  • I draw/design/sew/knit/cook.
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 10:07:54 PM »
I'm impressed! We did cut back our Netflix account from three to two DVDs (and we cancelled Hulu Plus entirely) but I only go to the library once every two weeks and I'd struggle to avoid the late fees... very cool, though!

And yeah, Netflix binge-watching can be such a time-waster.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 10:28:49 PM »
No cable. I can stream things or rent from the library. But so far I have been reading BOOKS! Amazing :)

lcg377

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 04:13:36 PM »
We cancelled our Netflix dvd's when we started a business, and just never had the time to watch them.  Since then, I found out that our library actually has a very up-to-date movie section!  I often check out books, and assumed the video section was mostly documentaries and classics.  But our location is almost on par with what I could get from Red Box! 

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 05:55:44 PM »
I have broadcast (actually basic cable, but only because internet was cheaper that way... same channels, anyway) and an HTPC with DVR. I suddenly realized a few days ago that I can barely keep up with the PBS etc. stuff saved on the DVR, and that I haven't watched Netflix in a month or so.

I think I'm going to catch up on Merlin and then dump it.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 09:39:00 PM »
I cancelled my Netflix when they raised their prices several years ago.  I live in a rural area and would not have any TV without cable.  Luckily it's only $12 a month.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 06:41:16 AM »
... I only go to the library once every two weeks and I'd struggle to avoid the late fees...

There's no need for late fees anymore now that you can access your library account online and renew your materials if you can't make it to the library.  My library also sends me reminder emails when something is going to be due in the next couple of days.  No more late fees!

workathomedad

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 06:42:38 AM »
We got an iTunes gift card for Birthday / Christmas that pays for Netflix via the Netflix app. So it's not a budgeted expense.

blake201

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 11:30:44 AM »
... I only go to the library once every two weeks and I'd struggle to avoid the late fees...

There's no need for late fees anymore now that you can access your library account online and renew your materials if you can't make it to the library.  My library also sends me reminder emails when something is going to be due in the next couple of days.  No more late fees!

Ah, but I live in NYC... I get those emails and log in online, but if the item is on hold for someone else, you can't renew it. So I have to be careful. I still get all my books from the library, just not DVDs at this point.

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 01:27:32 PM »
We got an iTunes gift card for Birthday / Christmas that pays for Netflix via the Netflix app. So it's not a budgeted expense.
That's great! I have a $50 iTunes gift card that has been sitting around because I don't know what I want to spend it on. Using it to pay our streaming Netflix is a great idea!

Endersmom

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 06:09:43 PM »
We just started up again with Netflix but we cancel it as soon as the snows gone. ( we don't have snow yet)

blake201

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 10:02:28 PM »
Well, I stopped making excuses today and checked out a DVD to watch this weekend from the library. I'll manage to get it back in time! If I can do this regularly, I may cut out the DVD deliveries from Netflix too. If I'm honest with myself, the library is just a 10-minute walk from my office, and even on busy days I can get over there SOMEHOW to avoid the late fee.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 04:17:58 AM »
Yay--libraries are awesome!  Can you renew your DVD online?  Hope you enjoy it--and avoid any late fee!

avonlea

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 06:50:04 AM »
Yay--libraries are awesome!  Can you renew your DVD online?  Hope you enjoy it--and avoid any late fee!

Oh, how the library must hate how often I renew things just to avoid getting late fees. :) And then I end up going to the library two days later to pick up something else at the reserve desk...and I still don't bring back the items that were originally due, b/c they're not due anymore.  Holding onto a book for 9 weeks or a movie for 3 is ridiculous.  Seriously, I know this, but my bad behavior is not punished and I keep the vicious cycle going. If anybody else wanted those items, they would have make a hold request, right? :P

blake201

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 08:34:22 AM »

Oh, how the library must hate how often I renew things just to avoid getting late fees. :) And then I end up going to the library two days later to pick up something else at the reserve desk...and I still don't bring back the items that were originally due, b/c they're not due anymore.  Holding onto a book for 9 weeks or a movie for 3 is ridiculous.  Seriously, I know this, but my bad behavior is not punished and I keep the vicious cycle going. If anybody else wanted those items, they would have make a hold request, right? :P

Yeah, I'm the same way. I always have about 10 books checked out at any given time because I never know how long it's going to take for a hold book to get delivered. I also sometimes have four or five Kindle books checked out for the Kindle app on my smartphone. I LOVE THE LIBRARY.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!