Author Topic: Camper Trailer over commuting  (Read 1851 times)

rente39

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Camper Trailer over commuting
« on: September 01, 2016, 01:13:53 PM »
Not sure this is a trick, but I traded a long commute or pricy hotel with a camper trailer. The trailer is at a campsite, pretty close to the place I'm working at. It's pretty nice there during summer and saves me about a 1000$ a month. Told some colleagues but not all - might be considered weired and not professional...

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
Re: Camper Trailer over commuting
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 02:39:51 PM »
My brother did this for 4.5 years at Stephen F. Austin.  Two during his bachelor's degree and two during his Master's.  I don't think it was considered weird at all.

Typically judgements like that will also look down on using an 'good' car (by mustachian standards) and/or biking to work.  Depends on the industry, either way I would just let any comments be water under the bridge.  When you retire in 15 years while they have 15 to go, you will know why it was worth it.  :)

cbr shadow

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 05:06:17 PM »
That's awesome.  I'd like to hear more about it!  How much did the camper cost you, how much does the campsite cost, how do you get to work from the campsite?  What do you do for a living?  Do you have a SO/Family?
Pretty cool way to save lots of money if you do it correctly!

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 05:27:10 PM »
I think the camper is a great idea.  Sure beats a tent, and you can probably sell it for what you paid when you no longer need it.

rente39

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 11:56:35 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback!

That's awesome.  I'd like to hear more about it!  How much did the camper cost you, how much does the campsite cost, how do you get to work from the campsite?  What do you do for a living?  Do you have a SO/Family?
Pretty cool way to save lots of money if you do it correctly!

The Camper was 5 years old when I bought it and I paid about 13000$. It's loosing less then $1000 in value per year. The Campsite is about 1500$ a year (all in). On Mondays I drive to work which is a 2h commute. During the week I'll commute by car between the campsite and work which takes 15mins per trip. I'm self employed and do IT consulting. No sure what "SO" means but I'm married with no kids.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!