Author Topic: Built an engine  (Read 1953 times)

magnet18

• Bristles
Built an engine
« on: October 24, 2018, 12:31:25 PM »
Built an engine for the first time! (Longblock anyway)
My truck (86 Toyota 4runner) was eating oil and running rough, so I tore into it expexting to need a timing chain job minimum, found that and a stuck exhaust valve

Pulled it out, while it's out, 200K is a good time to freshen it up, so I inspected it, and last weekend i painted it, replaced all the bearings, polished the crankshaft a bit by hand, honed the cylinders and replaced the rings, new water and oil pumps and seals, new head with new cam and valves, new timing chain and guides, new gaskets, and adjusted the valves

Of course i still don't know if I messed anything up, time will tell when it goes back in, i still need to do the transmission input seal, new clutch, and service all the fuel injectors, and get it back in and hooked up, but I'm pretty stoked about this progress!

Anyone know why it won't let me attach a 3.5MB picture? I have to link to another site instead

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 12:35:00 PM by magnet18 »

magnet18

• Bristles
Re: Built an engine
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 12:36:29 PM »
Oh yea, and project total less than $1,000!

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 06:11:39 PM »
I'd say you re-built the engine. 

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 06:16:41 PM »
Nice, looks pretty clean too!

This is something I'd love to do if I had the time, space, and tools....     

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 07:47:18 PM »
I'd say you re-built the engine.
Technically I'd say rebuilding is a subset of building
Nice, looks pretty clean too!

This is something I'd love to do if I had the time, space, and tools....     

Thanks!

This has been high on the list of things I want to learn for approximately forever.

It has required a fair bit of time, I'm probably 6-8 days into it, probably 2 weekends minimum left to reassemble everything.  I don't exactly *have* the time, but I'm doing it anyway, last week I took 2 days off work

This rebuild surprisingly hasn't required many tools other than the garage basics + engine hoist and stand, it's a pretty simple 80hp engine
Replacing the head instead of rebuilding it is part of why tool needs are low though

BeardedMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 02:51:36 PM »
Nice going OP! I've got a similar project (broken valve) project car that I'm finishing up.

Auto repair/maintenance should be a more frequent topic on these forums, since there's so much money to be saved by DIY.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 07:01:54 AM »
Nice work!  I'm curious if you got any machine shop estimates for redoing the old head.  Assuming no cracks, I'd think it would be cheaper.  Be sure to check flatness of both the block and head surfaces or you're going to have leaks.

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 10:57:22 AM »
Nice work!  I'm curious if you got any machine shop estimates for redoing the old head.  Assuming no cracks, I'd think it would be cheaper.  Be sure to check flatness of both the block and head surfaces or you're going to have leaks.

New loaded heads for a 22RE are so cheap it's actually pretty well acknowledged in the community that it's surprisingly cheaper to buy than rebuild, a new quality head with cam and valves was less than $200, a head rebuild shop can charge $100/hour...

I don't have a machinists ruler to check flatness, but the block has never been overheated, and the gasket is a metal crush type, so I'm told it should be fine

Also, i expect this engine to make a whopping 75 horsepower, it's a pretty forgiving engine from what I'm told, fingers crossed

BobTheBuilder

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 11:40:05 AM »
Impressive, nicely done!

foobaz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 08:23:46 PM »
Good job, it looks like a lot of work. I've rebuilt smaller motorcycles engines and it takes me a day, but it's so satisfying having the engine fire up again after being disassembled.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 09:06:03 PM »
$200!  Holy cow, that's cheap.  That's like a gasket set for a Subaru.  Or 20% of a cam set.

WranglerBowman

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 10:56:49 AM »
This is badassity by definition!  Envious of you.  I'm getting ready to put a new clutch in my Dakota...just waiting to have space in our garage to actually work...and of course 8-10 hours to actually complete the work.  I want to rebuild an engine bad, but time is such a premium for me, and either family or work ends up taking the hit...generally work.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 08:20:14 AM »
Nice going OP! I've got a similar project (broken valve) project car that I'm finishing up.

Auto repair/maintenance should be a more frequent topic on these forums, since there's so much money to be saved by DIY.

Yeah it should, see my thread here about how much a shop wanted for an alternator. Some of this is due to the high % of techies here. It always strikes me as funny that technical folks can bang out thousands of lines of code where something as small as a { out of place ruins the whole whole thing, but simple things like brake pads, windshield rock dings, oil changes, belts and 5k or 10k service checklists might as well be black magic. That's gonna save you THOUSANDS over the life of a vehicle, especially if you go to a dealership for repairs.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!