Author Topic: Rode my bike to the library  (Read 5301 times)

bzzzt

• Bristles
  • 5v to Lightning Bolts...
Rode my bike to the library
« on: April 01, 2015, 06:54:08 PM »
I rode my bike a mile each way to get my library card.

Not very bad ass compared to most around here, but six months ago I was driving 3 blocks to the gas station for snacks.

I was partially disappointed with the library though. The DVD section appeared to be larger than the adult non-fiction section. I'll have to spend more time next trip. I was in and out quick because I realized I didn't have a bike lock when I got there.

ryan114

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Rode my bike to the library
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 08:25:05 PM »
Ah... the banality of pure badassity.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 10:20:16 PM »
Everyone starts somewhere. Congratulations on starting.

Nancy

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 05:22:20 AM »
That's excellent progress! Well done and keep it up. In the early days of the blog, MMM said that if he had only one piece of advice to give it would be to ride a bike. I did so, and it's made me happier, healthier, and wealthier.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 09:17:44 AM »
Keep it up!

Regarding the library selection - if it's not great, or you're looking for something specific, many (most?) libraries participate in Inter-Library Loan. Talk to the librarian about your options.

My library also does ebooks, you don't need to go in to do that. I'm not really setup for that, but I guess it's very popular.

codemonkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 09:18:14 AM »
Great job!  A year ago I was driving 3.5 miles to a park to then run 4 miles and drive back home.  Yesterday was one of our first really nice days in mid-Michigan, so I rode my bike there, ran, and rode back home.  It was great, and I'll never drive there again.

Lynne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 08:15:51 PM »
DVDs circulate much, much better than nonfiction, and circulation stats do affect the budgets that get assigned to each collection.  Start checking out the nonfiction and help boost the stats.  :)

bzzzt

• Bristles
  • 5v to Lightning Bolts...
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 08:40:42 PM »
Thanks for the other library tips.

Ordered a bike lock and made a solo run to the grocery store today, 1.5mi each way. Easy peezy. Time to pick up a cheap bike/jogging trailer. Found one on CL for $60 vs. the $100-250 some people want for them. Hopefully, I can pick it up on my way home tomorrow because we're almost out of produce!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 08:42:13 PM by bzzzt »

Ysera

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 09:56:10 PM »
Thanks for the other library tips.

Ordered a bike lock and made a solo run to the grocery store today, 1.5mi each way. Easy peezy. Time to pick up a cheap bike/jogging trailer. Found one on CL for $60 vs. the $100-250 some people want for them. Hopefully, I can pick it up on my way home tomorrow because we're almost out of produce!

Good job! I'm working up the courage to make my maiden bike voyage to the local library next weekend. I'm kind of annoyed that my local grocery store doesn't have a bike rack. :|

agent_clone

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 01:51:22 AM »
Personally one of my aims is to get enough fitness to ride the approx 2.75 km (about 1.7 miles) from home to the pool.  The issue i have is that its all uphill on the way there... I figure once I can do the 3.7km round trip on a bike path near my place that goes up and down I can do the uphill trip to the pool.

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 09:08:07 AM »
Congrats! My first bike trip was to the library as well. That was a couple years ago. Now I try to ride my bike to work at least twice a week. It's a 12 mile round trip with steeps hills going. My quads are getting stronger every week!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 05:13:10 PM »
What an awesome place to ride your bike too--the place where everything is free :-).

I'm a librarian. Our DVD section is bigger than adult nonfiction. But, to be fair, that's ALL the DVDs--kids', nonfiction, foreign language, etc. It just is what it is. But most libraries are part of larger systems where you can go online and have books sent from anywhere in the system to your closest branch for pickup. Your friendly librarian would be happy to show you the ropes :-). Here in Colorado, not only do the cities have their own systems with several linked branches, but we have the Prospector system where you can order books from other systems in Colorado and Wyoming. It's not obvious how to use it, so again, make sure to ask so you're not missing out on resources!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 05:54:20 PM »
Next time ride it into the library

Breaker

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 10:35:15 PM »
That is a great start.  I just bought a new bike yesterday.  Since I haven't ridden a bike in many, many years I hope I get enough use out of it to make it worthwhile.  I realized today that once a week I go to an appointment that is about 5 miles one way.  I hope to be riding my bike there in a months time.