Author Topic: Brag on your MMM high-mileage or old car  (Read 404076 times)

P1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Brag on your MMM high-mileage or old car
« Reply #250 on: December 29, 2014, 01:40:13 PM »
Nothing crazy yet. Just an 08 Civic with just under 93000 miles on it. Hoping to have it til at least 200,000 though. It's paid for, so I have every intention of "driving it until the wheels fall off"

NICE!

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #251 on: December 29, 2014, 02:23:05 PM »
'03 Accord with 150k. I love it, but I'm definitely not the winner. Let's see if it will go another decade (if my job doesn't make me move somewhere where I can't ship it).

takeahike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #252 on: December 29, 2014, 09:46:19 PM »
1998 Isuzu Rodeo with 203,000 miles

Got it as a wedding gift in 2004 used with 109,000 on the odometer. We've been a one car family for about half that time with that one usually as our one car. It's not great on gas (average ~20 mpg with responsible driving around town), but we've used it to make one west-east cross country move and several north-south trips between Michigan and Florida. It sat unused for a year, but is now my once-a-week work vehicle.

Other brag-worthy notes on it. I was recently rear-ended and earned a bonus of $340 for a cosmetic blemish that makes my ride that much more of an eff you to the status seeking population. When my family came to town for Christmas, my brother thought about renting a car. I told him absolutely not. He ended up using that ol' reliable and loved it. His wife even enjoyed the opportunity to drive a stick shift again.

Yes, I have done some work on it to keep it running, but nothing that a novice like me couldn't figure out. I still look on Craigslist for its replacement from time to time, but this forum thread alone will propel me another couple years. Heck, by then, I might even crack 210,000.

I had a 1994 Isuzu Rodeo that I purchased brand new for the anticipated arrival of my first-born. Sold it after 2 years due to it's gas guzzliness. Purchased a Jetta that I kept for 16 years.. kicking myself now for ever selling the Jetta.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #253 on: December 30, 2014, 07:24:46 AM »
I don't tend to keep vehicles for extraordinarily long periods of time -- I enjoy driving different cars. They're a hobby/passion for me and much more than simply a way to get from point A to point B.

Here's my vehicle breakdown- bold = still have:

'98 Toyota Corolla, paid $3k, drove for a few years and gifted to a family member
'86 Toyota MR2, paid $1k, drove for 3 years, sold for $1500
'98 Toyota Tacoma, paid $5k, drove for 3 years, frame rusted out and Toyota bought it back for $12,194.50 (!!)
'91 Toyota MR2 Turbo, paid $7k, spent a lot on, still have 6.5 years later (this is my toy, 260k+ miles).
'91 Toyota MR2 Turbo w/blown motor, paid $1k, didn't have time for the project, sold for $1200
'05 Toyota Tundra, bought 3 years old with 36k for $15,995, sold 3 years later for $13k (could have had $15,500 but I made a bad call on the sale, thought I could get more at the time as book was $19k)
'04 Subaru Forester XT, paid $7394, was a toy for ~18 months (performance parts installed which added some to the cost), sold for $8200
'02 Suzuki SV650, paid $500 (needed significant motor work, which I did myself, and paint, done by a buddy for a fair price), sold a couple of years later for $2100
'91 Toyota MR2 project, paid $1500, didn't have time for the project, sold for $1500 (after finding Toyota shop manuals inside..score!!)
'04 Cadillac CTS-V, paid $12k, drove for 2.5 years, sold for $13k
'99 Tacoma, paid $4500, likely selling next month for $5500.  282k miles.
'97 Lexus LX450, my trail/expedition rig, paid $7200 and for sale at $9000 now.  212k miles.

I am looking at consolidating my Tacoma and LX450 into one newer lower mileage vehicle (Lexus GX470). Tired of working on 'em all the time. :P
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 07:50:26 AM by JLee »

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #254 on: December 30, 2014, 08:33:35 AM »
Mine isn't super duper impressive, but we have a 2005 Toyota Matrix and it has about 270 000 km (about 169k miles).  It's our only vehicle and we have two small kids.  Most of our peers have at least one SUV, but I've had a paid off car for seven years (we bought it used from DH's parents).  As long as it continues to be reliable, I don't plan on getting another.  I've started saving for our next car, but I'm hoping to get at least another couple of years out of this one.  It's a great family vehicle.

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #255 on: December 31, 2014, 01:35:22 PM »

I thought this was MY JOKE. Unless that sticker appeared before October 10 I'm suing Vanguard for ALL OF THEIR ASSETS. (Jk. Vanguard, if you're reading this, a few thousand shares of VTSAX will be fine.)

If were more assholish, we could have "My other car is a Vanguard account" bumper stickers.

EDIT: Or better, "My other vehicle is a Vanguard account". Again, it would be douchey.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:41:43 PM by senecando »

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #256 on: December 31, 2014, 03:07:06 PM »
I don't tend to keep vehicles for extraordinarily long periods of time -- I enjoy driving different cars. They're a hobby/passion for me and much more than simply a way to get from point A to point B.

'98 Toyota Corolla, paid $3k, drove for a few years and gifted to a family member
'98 Toyota Tacoma, paid $5k, drove for 3 years, frame rusted out and Toyota bought it back for $12,194.50 (!!)
'91 Toyota MR2 Turbo, paid $7k, spent a lot on, still have 6.5 years later (this is my toy, 260k+ miles).
'91 Toyota MR2 Turbo w/blown motor, paid $1k, didn't have time for the project, sold for $1200
'05 Toyota Tundra, bought 3 years old with 36k for $15,995, sold 3 years later for $13k (could have had $15,500 but I made a bad call on the sale, thought I could get more at the time as book was $19k)
'04 Subaru Forester XT, paid $7394, was a toy for ~18 months (performance parts installed which added some to the cost), sold for $8200
'02 Suzuki SV650, paid $500 (needed significant motor work, which I did myself, and paint, done by a buddy for a fair price), sold a couple of years later for $2100
'91 Toyota MR2 project, paid $1500, didn't have time for the project, sold for $1500 (after finding Toyota shop manuals inside..score!!)
'97 Lexus LX450, my trail/expedition rig, paid $7200 and for sale at $9000 now.  212k miles.

I am looking at consolidating my Tacoma and LX450 into one newer lower mileage vehicle (Lexus GX470). Tired of working on 'em all the time. :P

I like how you sold so many of these for more than you paid for them. Got any tips on how we can do the same?

I thought this was MY JOKE. Unless that sticker appeared before October 10 I'm suing Vanguard for ALL OF THEIR ASSETS. (Jk. Vanguard, if you're reading this, a few thousand shares of VTSAX will be fine.)

The joke's on you: Vanguard doesn't own any of its assets; it's owned by them.

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #257 on: December 31, 2014, 03:18:58 PM »

ARE YOU THAT JACK? Glad to have you, Mr. Bogle.

(I should have said, "ALL OF THE ASSETS [under management by Vanguard]". I got caught up in the greed that accompanies the thought of three trillion dollars.)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #258 on: December 31, 2014, 03:49:55 PM »

I like how you sold so many of these for more than you paid for them. Got any tips on how we can do the same?

I think the biggest thing that works in my favor is, since I own multiple vehicles and do repairs myself (I built the engine in my MR2 last year - there isn't much I won't do), I am never in a hurry to buy something.  I decide well in advance of a purchase what it is I want, why I want it, and once I've decided I'll start looking around to see what's available. I don't generally buy unless it's a particularly good deal - and since I never "need" a vehicle ASAP I do not have to compromise.

I am also willing to travel:
Tundra purchased in ME when I lived in NH
$1000 MR2 purchased in NH when I lived in FL (was traveling up there for a family visit anyway), sold it in NJ (where I went to pick up my 2nd MR2, which I still own)
Subaru purchased in CT when I lived in NH (sold in AZ to a guy in OR, who paid me to do maintenance items first and then also to deliver it)
CTS-V bought/sold in AZ
LX450 bought in Reno, NV when I lived in AZ
Current Tacoma bought/sold in state (verbal agreement, just waiting for me to pick up my next truck). It needed some work when I bought it (tires, a tie rod end, and steering rack bushings)

My next vehicle may get me punched by some (2007 Lexus GX470), but it was a careful deliberation and a compromise of the offroad ability of my LX450, the fuel economy of the Tacoma (abysmal by MMM standards, but perfectly adequate for me), comfort for long trips (my SO and I spent a week and 1560 miles going through Baja, Mexico last week), size for expedition trips (we camped in the truck most nights and are planning additional longer trips in the future), offroad ability for said trips and also for weekend adventures in Arizona, and reliability (Lexus/Toyota with 103k miles, vs the 212,9xx and 282k I have now). :)  My purchase price for this one is $4k under retail (per my credit union), $1k under KBB for 'good' condition, and it has an extremely rare option that is almost impossible to find (suspension package for improved on and off road performance).

I think many people walk into a dealer and go 'I need a car', and then pick something out there after falling for the "How much do you want to spend per month?" trap.  Decide on what you want ahead of time, even if it involves multiple test drives (that said, almost, if not every vehicle I purchased was the first one I looked at, because I knew exactly what I wanted). Know what you should pay - not just book value, but if it's a niche market vehicle (everything I drive has an enthusiast following - I do not buy 'appliance-cars' because they do not satisfy my personal goals for a vehicle), check message forums as well and see what vehicles are going for.

Depending on your plans for the vehicle, waiting for the right one can also save you a lot of money in other ways.  The LX450 (also known as an 80-series Toyota LandCruiser) I bought has about $10k in aftermarket parts (lift, offroad armor, winch, etc) that I didn't have to pay for because it was already on the truck when I bought it. If I were to have saved $1000 on the truck and then built it for offroad/expedition purposes, I'd have spent twice as much. You have to be careful buying modified vehicles (a lot of people do a poor job), but if done properly you can save a lot of money.

Also, be flexible. I wanted a Subaru WRX wagon when I lived in northern NH. As a car enthusiast I wanted something fast/fun to drive in the winter because I couldn't drive the MR2 (mid engine RWD with power, plus snow - bad idea). However, I wanted 2006+ because that's when they started the 2.5l engine, instead of the 2.0l used in 2004-2005. But - guess what? The Forester XT came with the 2.5l in 2004, was also available with a 5 speed manual, was even better for utilitarian purposes (larger inside), and it was cheaper than a WRX! Score! So, I bought the FXT instead of a WRX. :)

Cliff notes:
  • Be patient!
  • Negotiate pricing - most people will work with you. I talked my way into $140 in travel reimbursement for my pending purchase.
  • Don't be sucked in by car dealers. My stepdad walked out on a dealer because they wouldn't meet his price - sure enough, we weren't even in the truck yet before they ran out after us saying they'd work it out
  • If you are mechanically inclined (and even if you're not), do your research on common problems. You might find a hybrid that is being sold dirt cheap because it needs a $300 battery part. You also might find a deal that looks too good to be true, because of a common flaw in the model (for example, the high pressure fuel pump in some BMW 335i's, IMS bearing on certain Porsche models, flaky auto transmissions in some Hondas)
  • Sell private party - avoid trading in to a dealer! Remember that dealers have to make money, and they do that partially by taking used cars and selling them for more than they paid. How are you going to get the best deal when they're doing it to make money themselves?  There are exceptions - my Subaru and Tundra were from dealers - but these exceptions are not very common.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 03:53:41 PM by JLee »

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #259 on: January 01, 2015, 11:48:11 AM »
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6 cylinder with 240k miles. I won it in a contest so I'm, pretty much, ahead of the game. Still paid a ton in taxes, though.

marketnonsenses

« Reply #260 on: January 02, 2015, 06:38:25 AM »

I like your style. I have been doing the math and I think buying used cars with a following can be a good deal, they dont seem to lose much value or in some cases go up. I too like cars and think it would be cool to drive a different one every few years. I might start using your tactic.

SantaFeSteve

• Stubble
« Reply #261 on: January 02, 2015, 09:55:13 AM »
The DW and I still sharing our 1999 Subaru Outback with 237,xxx miles - so far.  It's been a decent car even though I had to replace the head gaskets, and a few other tidbits over the last few years. 
Hoping for a fairly repair free 18-24 more months and then we will ditch it for a slightly newer, more economical, front wheel drive, maybe a Focus (thoughtfully rubbing chin and staring into space)....

BriArrange

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #262 on: January 02, 2015, 11:23:49 AM »
My husband and I share a 2001 VW Jetta TDI that used to be driven by his mom, but we bought it from her in 2010 for $4K. It has 330,000 miles on it, and gets 53 miles to the gallon (diesel). We just did a cross country trip with it this past fall and put on 4,000 miles in 6 days....it still runs like a champ!

pshalterman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #263 on: January 14, 2015, 01:48:03 PM »
I am a little on the opposite end with an old car and low mileage. 2002 Ford Taurus with 60,000 miles on it. My parents bought it for me after I graduated college for $4k from an older woman in the country who drove it to church and to get groceries and that's it. Should be set for a long time.

dsw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #264 on: January 14, 2015, 02:58:12 PM »
Mine is a 1996 sedan that I bought for under 1000 in 2006. Beyond regular wear and tear items (spark plugs, wind shield wipers, tires, brakes), I've had no significant repairs to this point.

On a related note, in 25 years of driving, my combined purchase price for all my cars is under 7000. This started out as not having the money to buy anything nicer, but morphed into an aversion to paying thousands of dollars for a car (the notion of tens of thousands of dollars is something I can't even fathom). My cheap car habit has resulted in paying off my mortgage and student loans way early (yay!). My goal is that when my car finally dies (and I will get the absolute last mile out of this car) my next car still keeps my combined purchase price under five figures.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 06:17:10 AM by dsw »

Anti-ComplainyPants

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #265 on: January 15, 2015, 02:12:08 PM »
I got super lucky and was able to take advantage of a wonderful opportunity.

About 3 years ago my aunt and uncle gave me their 2000 Jeep Cherokee Limited because they were upgrading. I was very grateful for it and sold my crappy car to drive this one, although it broke down all the time and cost me my ass in poor gas mileage.

Then about a year and a half ago (as part of a just-discovering-MMM-and-getting-my-shit-together-spree) I sold it for $3850 (with 165k miles) so that I could buy a 2004 Dodge Neon with 58k miles for $3700. It had been dented to hell in a very rare hailstorm (Mississippi), so I was able to get it for stupid-cheap.

Moral of the story: Giving zero fucks about the hail damage allowed me to double my gas mileage and exponentially increase the lifespan of my vehicle, and I still made money on the exchange.

TimmyTightWad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #266 on: January 16, 2015, 10:39:32 AM »
2002 Honda Civic EX - 220K miles Original Engine and Trans
2010 Infiniti G37 - 72K miles

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #267 on: February 07, 2015, 02:10:15 PM »
2001 Dodge truck with currently only 65,000 original miles...just don't drive it too often, gas mileage is not that great, but I traded in my old truck and only added $400 cash for it, had less than 30,000 miles on when I bought it about 2003ish so meh! Paid cash, no financing charges, low miles, hauling capabilities (I live rural), etc. Knew I wasn't going to drive it much so yeah, didn't need the gas savings so much.  Tag is $28 a year now.  Mostly it's yard art.

I'm happy!!  Planning to drive it til the wheels fall off or we go down to one car. 

Tis our 2nd vehicle which is necessary for now w/aging parents who live a long ways away so overnights are sometimes needed in a health crisis for them and hate to leave the 3 people at home w/no transportation.  Can see the day we will go to one vehicle in sight.  The other is a 2010 Dodge Caliber.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #268 on: February 08, 2015, 07:11:40 AM »
I'm visiting my sister in Northern Virginia this weekend.  She has a '91 Camry with 150k miles.  Last night I taught her youngest son how to change the oil, coolant, and air filter.  I wish I had taken Auto Shop class when I was in high school...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 09:57:22 AM by zolotiyeruki »

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #269 on: February 08, 2015, 12:36:22 PM »
My wife's parents continue to drive their 1995 Chevrolet Suburban that they bought new in 1995. For a family of 6 it was the desired car back then. After putting a new heavy duty transmission in it, it now has 285k miles and runs excellent. It's a work rig (laying carpet), and a family car.

My parents bought nearly the exact same Chevy Suburban new in 1994, a year earlier. It has around 165k miles on it and aside from regular maintenance it has never had an issue. It hauled a family of 5, towed a boat, and served as the primary family vehicle. My parents still own it and use it in their retirement as a road tripping vehicle and sleep in the back of it on 4-6 week adventures.

People tell my dad he needs a new rig, and he gets excited by one friends super fancy camper van, and $30k mini motorhomes. But the fact remains that it's been paid off since 1999, is only worth about $4k if he sold it, and has very limited cost of ownership except for the 14mpg on the highway... But he's retired, with funds to buy the gas, so he doesn't give a shit. 

dsteele713

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #270 on: February 08, 2015, 03:57:53 PM »
2001 Honda Insight w/ just under 320K miles on it. Manual, and has averaged 59 MPG for me. Bought it for $4400 3 years ago with 225K on it. Doing the math, the ROI on this car compared to a Civic or similar for the same price, and I've come out VERY well.

Similar situation to you, 2001 Insight 3 years ago with 156k for $5600. It has a little over 200k on it now, and I'm having the transmission rebuilt by a guy on Insight Central who specializes in them. Will fix the synchro grinding issue and keep it from happening again with a special modification he does.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #271 on: February 12, 2015, 05:21:52 PM »
I still have my first car! Which was a hand me down. And the relative I got it from got it from a repo auction at our bank. It's got 270k miles on it and it's a 1994 or 96 Chevrolet Tahoe...don't recall right now actually. Technically an SUV, but not much bigger than some of the current "cross over" models like the Ford Escape. I think it's crazy how much bigger SUVs have gotten. Not the perfect MPG, but a good old reliable thing.

EDIT: Just went on KBB. My car is worth $2100! =P
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 05:54:56 PM by Bracken_Joy »

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #272 on: February 13, 2015, 01:52:33 PM »
I have a 1998 Camry LE that I bought in 2000 for $15k cash from a little old lady (really). It's been a very low-maintenance car. It has about 160k miles on it. I don't drive much since I am in a "mixed" relationship, by which I mean that my boyfriend is pretty non-Mustachian when it comes to driving. He drives everywhere that we go together, in his car. At least he owns an Elantra.

What I'm more proud of is that at 48 years old, this is my third car ever. That may not be unusual in this group, but it sure is in the wild. My mom is always asking me "When are you going to get a new car?", and the answer is always "When my Camry dies". My mom would rather see me in something more "suitable", which I'm sure for her purposes means a Lexus or at least an Avalon. I keep telling her the car is part of my early retirement plan. I am hoping to get at least another 100k out of it, which could easily be another 8-10 years for me.

About three and a half years ago, someone ran into me from behind and the insurance company totaled it. I ended up taking the money and paying an extra $1.7k to have it repaired. With the new panels and paint, it looks better than it has a right to. Since then, just routine maintenance and replacement of wear items.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #273 on: February 13, 2015, 05:30:15 PM »
Hi. Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

Low mileage / old car brag:  1995 buick century with...drumroll please...14,000 miles! 

Inherited it from Grandma last year (she had it since new!)  I'm planning on keeping it as a Mustachian ride for awhile even though the gas mileage is only around 26 mpg.  Am trying to get that up through better driving though.  Great in the NE winters though, probably because of the "boat of a car-style" hood weight at the front tires. 

^Chops's inherited Buick beats me, but my old-and-low brag for our only car:

2004 Buick Century, bought new in 2005: 28,000 miles. When I got it inspected last year, the DMV made fun of me.

We walk a lot!

Matthew

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #274 on: February 13, 2015, 07:04:41 PM »
1983 Honda Civic
Bought:  $500 in 2005
Driven:  many miles.  Including a trip from Alaska-Florida.
Fuel economy:  42 mpg
Rear-ended and backed into (twice):  $1800 net of insurance settlements after repairs
Sold: $1000 in 2013

[attachment deleted by admin]

NICE!

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #275 on: February 14, 2015, 01:09:40 AM »
Awesome, Matt. Why'd you sell it?

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #276 on: February 14, 2015, 02:09:02 AM »

2004 Buick Century, bought new in 2005: 28,000 miles. When I got it inspected last year, the DMV made fun of me.

We walk a lot!

Welcome to the forum!  Thoughtful use of your ride.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #277 on: February 14, 2015, 03:21:16 AM »
Hi. Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

Low mileage / old car brag:  1995 buick century with...drumroll please...14,000 miles! 

Inherited it from Grandma last year (she had it since new!)  I'm planning on keeping it as a Mustachian ride for awhile even though the gas mileage is only around 26 mpg.  Am trying to get that up through better driving though.  Great in the NE winters though, probably because of the "boat of a car-style" hood weight at the front tires. 

^Chops's inherited Buick beats me, but my old-and-low brag for our only car:

We walk a lot!

2004 Nissan Sentra, purchased for $7k with 13,000 miles in 2010. Currently sitting at 59,000 miles. I will drive this car till I get close to FIRE.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #278 on: February 14, 2015, 01:19:50 PM »

We walk a lot!

Welcome to the forum!  Thoughtful use of your ride.

Thank you!

Matthew, well done.

Matthew

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #279 on: February 14, 2015, 07:29:53 PM »
Awesome, Matt. Why'd you sell it?

I ask myself that every day!

Actually, it was covered in snow in a parking lot, and looked pretty much like a big pile of snow, the second time someone backed into it.  After I repaired that, I realized that if I drive my awesome car so little that it behaves like a snowbank, I should sell it.  Figured someone else needed it more.  Feet, bike, and bus get me most places I go anymore.

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #280 on: February 15, 2015, 06:12:30 AM »
Hahaha Matthew!!!  You sold a money maker if their insurance was paying off every time!!  Your little car reminded me of my old Honda...it was an even earlier 'roller skate' model. 

triumph07

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #281 on: February 15, 2015, 08:11:26 AM »
My commuter car is a '94 Acura Integra that currently has 285k miles, runs great but it's starting to rust a bit.  Wife has an XA with about 175k miles, hopefully both will last quite a bit longer.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #282 on: February 21, 2015, 08:51:53 PM »

ARE YOU THAT JACK? Glad to have you, Mr. Bogle.

(I should have said, "ALL OF THE ASSETS [under management by Vanguard]". I got caught up in the greed that accompanies the thought of three trillion dollars.)

LOL, I missed this back in December. I am not Jack Bogle. I almost wish I was... but not really because he's old.

Anyway, I'd like to brag slightly about the car I just bought: a 1990 Mazda Miata with only 78k miles on it, and so well-maintained that it looks (and drives) almost like new. Of course, it's not in any way Mustachian because I didn't need it -- I bought it to get into auto racing (an expensive hobby if ever there was one)! It even came with an extra set of rims, some upgraded suspension parts, and a hitch and 4' utility trailer (used for carrying racing wheels so you can swap at the track instead of wasting your expensive tread on the drive home).

Of course, now I need to build a garage (which I'd planned to do before, but now feel more urgency about)...

marketnonsenses

« Reply #283 on: February 23, 2015, 09:05:28 AM »
Saw an older Explorer with a bumper sticker that said 500K club the other day. Im impressed.

NICE!

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #284 on: February 23, 2015, 09:14:01 AM »
Saw an older Explorer with a bumper sticker that said 500K club the other day. Im impressed.

I don't know whether to be impressed or disappointed in that # because that's a lot of miles/year...aren't Explorers from the mid-90s? If so, that's ~25k miles/year.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #285 on: February 23, 2015, 09:53:26 AM »

I don't know whether to be impressed or disappointed in that # because that's a lot of miles/year...aren't Explorers from the mid-90s? If so, that's ~25k miles/year.
You never know. Maybe the current owner bought it used with a ton of miles on it already...though the balance of probability is not in favor of this scenario.

WranglerBowman

• Stubble
« Reply #286 on: February 23, 2015, 12:12:31 PM »
After extensive research on reliability and my utility needs I settled on 1995 Honda Accord Wagon EX.  Paid $1100 for it 2007 with 150k miles...I'm still driving it today with 282k miles, with no plans to ever sell it.  Not including gas and changing the oil, I've put less than $800 into this car and about $400 of that is just tires, the rest is an axle, VSS, timing belt, serpentine belts, plugs, wires, brakes, rotors, wiper blades, and I do all my own work.  The car has been paid for more than 3x over due to mileage reimbursement for work.  Just looked up the KBB value, $1,457 in Fair condition...it's almost possible that this car is actually paying me to drive it...is that even possible...or did I just blow my own mind!!!  Everyone makes fun of me for driving it...which I can't understand...how many daily driver car investments do you make in life that have a positive return...now who's laughing...ha haha haaaa...

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #287 on: February 23, 2015, 03:06:59 PM »
... The car has been paid for more than 3x over due to mileage reimbursement for work.  Just looked up the KBB value, $1,457 in Fair condition...it's almost possible that this car is actually paying me to drive it...is that even possible...or did I just blow my own mind!!!  Everyone makes fun of me for driving it...which I can't understand...how many daily driver car investments do you make in life that have a positive return...now who's laughing...ha haha haaaa...
I love jobs like that.  At my last job, I had one project that reimbursed me $0.55/mi for my commute.  It was almost 50mi each way.  In my '95 Corolla, I was, indeed, making a fair bit of money driving back and forth.

surfhb

« Reply #288 on: February 24, 2015, 09:40:13 PM »

I have a long commute ;)

surfhb

« Reply #289 on: February 25, 2015, 07:30:06 PM »
How come i never see you at the pier playing VB?   Im down there almost daily

TXScout2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #290 on: February 26, 2015, 11:18:25 AM »
I drive a 2001 Toyota Corolla with 175k miles.  I bought it in 2007 for $4k. 

It leaks/burns about 2 quarts of oil every 1500 miles, and the engine gets real loud if the oil gets low.  Braking at high speed causes some steering wobble.  Been thinking about upgrading but it seems like a lot of people here are rolling with even older cars.  If I'm going to keep it I think I at least need to change the break pads.  Not sure what to do about the oil situation though.  Any ideas?

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #291 on: February 26, 2015, 03:45:11 PM »
Brakes could be warped disks.  Easy for a brake shop to turn or, if you remove the disks yourself, you can take them to an auto store (e.g., O'Reilly's or AutoZone) and they will turn them for you.  Expense comes in if there isn't enough metal to turn them.

Oil leaks can be the oil pan gasket or ????  Best to have a mechanic look at it.

Makes noise when the oil gets low might mean you should consider selling it now.  It's probably been run low before and there might be engine damage.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #292 on: February 26, 2015, 07:49:47 PM »
I drive a 2001 Toyota Corolla with 175k miles.  I bought it in 2007 for $4k. 

It leaks/burns about 2 quarts of oil every 1500 miles, and the engine gets real loud if the oil gets low.  Braking at high speed causes some steering wobble.  Been thinking about upgrading but it seems like a lot of people here are rolling with even older cars.  If I'm going to keep it I think I at least need to change the break pads.  Not sure what to do about the oil situation though.  Any ideas?
Do you have a set of wrenches/sockets?  Then you can change your brake rotors and pads.  Buy 'em from Rock Auto rather than a brick & mortar store, and you'll pay about $50 for the set.  If you've never done it before, it'll take a few hours.  But it's a pretty easy thing to do (and I know from experience--I just did this, along with a bunch of other stuff, to my brother's '01 corolla, about 4 months ago).  Lots of videos on youtube to guide you through it.

As for the oil leak, get a mechanic to take a look.  Or get the engine nice and clean, run it for a while, and see if you can locate the leak.  It might just be a valve cover gasket for all you know, and it'll take you $10 of parts and an hour to fix.  Or it could be a crank shaft bearing an require a rebuild.  But at least you'll know.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #293 on: February 27, 2015, 09:10:01 AM »
Brakes could be warped disks.  Easy for a brake shop to turn or, if you remove the disks yourself, you can take them to an auto store (e.g., O'Reilly's or AutoZone) and they will turn them for you.  Expense comes in if there isn't enough metal to turn them.

Oil leaks can be the oil pan gasket or ????  Best to have a mechanic look at it.

Makes noise when the oil gets low might mean you should consider selling it now.  It's probably been run low before and there might be engine damage.

The first noise in my experience has always been the lifters. I'm not sure how the top end on a 2001 Toyota works (never had anything newer than, oh, 1978 apart) but if it's got hydraulic lifters of some sort that's probably the noise. In my case, when this was happening, it turned out to be a bad oil pump. Had to lift the engine and pull the pan, replace pump, clean it out. Everything was fine. Now, my sister, on the other hand, showed up with a car that was 5 quarts low the other day. The hell? They don't even take 5 quarts on an oil change these days!

My advice is just keep it topped off with oil. Probably just worn out stuff in there letting it burn oil unless you're getting huge puddles of oil, lots of smoke, or oil in the antifreeze.

TXScout2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #294 on: February 27, 2015, 04:30:24 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I have changed brake pads once before, on a suburban.  Sort of short on tools now but I bet I could get a buddy over to do it.  I think I might fix those and just keep driving it. 

Regarding the sound being something in the top end, that makes sense.  I didn't mention in the initial post but this thing is a beater: hail damage, front bumper paint almost completely flaked off (I guess the guy before me replaced the front bumper and got a real cheap paint job), dent in passenger door from getting hit.  So I doubt I can sell it for more than $1K.  Maybe topping it off I can drive it another year or two. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #295 on: February 28, 2015, 08:37:34 PM »
I couldn't help but laugh today. I live in a VERY nice area, high CoL. Today, my very old moss-covered, paint peeling Chevy (KBB value about $1.5-2k) was parked next to a brand new, perfectly shiny, black Lotus Evora. Contrast!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #296 on: February 28, 2015, 09:10:35 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I have changed brake pads once before, on a suburban.  Sort of short on tools now but I bet I could get a buddy over to do it.  I think I might fix those and just keep driving it. 

Regarding the sound being something in the top end, that makes sense.  I didn't mention in the initial post but this thing is a beater: hail damage, front bumper paint almost completely flaked off (I guess the guy before me replaced the front bumper and got a real cheap paint job), dent in passenger door from getting hit.  So I doubt I can sell it for more than $1K.  Maybe topping it off I can drive it another year or two.
I think it's the brake *rotors* that need replacing, not the pads.  The labor is about the same--you just need to take off one more piece (caliper bracket) to replace the discs.

mendoman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #297 on: February 28, 2015, 11:02:27 PM »
I got a 2002 honda CRV with 178K on it.  Runs great and works great for a family of 4.  My dad just sold my 1991 4X4 Toyota pickup with 278K on it.  That was a solid truck and he got $3000.00 for it.

aeal121

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #298 on: March 03, 2015, 09:30:57 AM »
My husband and I have one car, a 1999 Lexus RX 300 that I got from my parents for my college graduation. They had owned it for about 8 years before that.

It now has 198K miles. I am dreading the day that I will have to get something else because I love my old car so much! I am hoping she will make it to 300K, and this thread has renewed my hope that that will happen.

Abe Froman

• Stubble
« Reply #299 on: December 09, 2016, 09:12:40 AM »
By posting this - I may be sealing my fate with the old gal....but here goes.
She is a 2001 Honda Accord 2-Dr Coupe V6 with 304K miles.

I bought it brand new and gave it oil changes only after double the recommended mileage. But I used Synthetic Oil. Don't know if that helped some - or if that and being a Honda of that design helped. But I am really happy with it.

All my co-workers, wife, wife's family - all want me to get a newer car because its safer, more gas efficient, yadda yadda yadda.
But I feel like I have a secret that I am saving a lot more money on this car than anyone else with theirs. I joke that the cost is so low that they are nearly paying me!

Now - while casually looking for a replacement sometime soon - I am trying to determine if depreciation is negligible for some models, e.g. depreciation curve for new vs used has the same slope. Honda Odyssey's and I think Toyota Sienna's do this - but looking for a 4 door sedan of this type.