Author Topic: Brag on your MMM high-mileage or old car  (Read 403997 times)

RainyDay

• Bristles
Re: Brag on your MMM high-mileage or old car
« Reply #900 on: June 30, 2021, 07:25:44 AM »
2010 Toyota Prius (95k-ish miles), which isn't all that unusual, but makes me smile every time I see a big truck on the road.  Eighteen months ago I sold my F-150 (after reading MMM) and bought the Prius.  So now when I see an F-150 on the road, I like to imagine the dollar bills flying out the tail pipe as they hit the gas. 

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #901 on: July 01, 2021, 08:55:38 PM »
I have a 92 Civic in my driveway with 639,000 miles. The last tank I calculated at the pump to be 65mpg. My 270k Honda Insight and 240k Honda Fit are babies in comparison.

EDIT: The Civic costs me $8 per month to insure.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 08:59:56 PM by Ecky »

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #902 on: July 01, 2021, 11:15:05 PM »
@Ecky, I’m pretty sure you win at 639K miles. That’s incredible.

My ‘05 Pilot with 204K miles seems like a baby now. If my beloved Pilot could continue being the awesome car it is until either that age or mileage, I’d be a damn happy camper!

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #903 on: July 02, 2021, 07:00:15 PM »

My ‘05 Pilot with 204K miles seems like a baby now. If my beloved Pilot could continue being the awesome car it is until either that age or mileage, I’d be a damn happy camper!

Thanks! The car actually has a website. I picked it up earlier this year from its original owner of 1992, and have set about restoring it. It's amazing how cheap parts are for these old civics.

The site: www.Aerocivic.com

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #904 on: July 02, 2021, 11:11:22 PM »
Cool! I’ll check it out.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #905 on: September 07, 2021, 10:56:08 AM »
How do you post pictures here?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #906 on: September 07, 2021, 01:32:46 PM »
How do you post pictures here?
underneath the text box where you type your reply, there's a link that says "Attachments and other options". That'll get you what you need

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #907 on: September 07, 2021, 02:02:14 PM »
I’ve been kicked out of the high mileage car club. We replaced our ‘05 Pilot with a new Passport.

We do still have a 1995 Geo Tracker with 198K miles that we drive around in the mountains near our house, so perhaps that will allow me to remain a member of the club.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #908 on: September 13, 2021, 06:39:33 PM »
I’ve been kicked out of the high mileage car club. We replaced our ‘05 Pilot with a new Passport.

We do still have a 1995 Geo Tracker with 198K miles that we drive around in the mountains near our house, so perhaps that will allow me to remain a member of the club.

Hey our Passport has 775 miles on it now!..:)

I just got the new Winter wheels and tires for it today.. When you look at the monster Winter tread its no wonder the OEM won't go in half an inch of snow!

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #909 on: September 13, 2021, 07:32:31 PM »
Our Passport now has 338 miles on it. I think it’ll be a very long time before we reach 200K miles again. It’s amazing how much less driving one does when not commuting to a job ~5 days a week!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #910 on: September 14, 2021, 01:24:24 PM »

Thanks! The car actually has a website. I picked it up earlier this year from its original owner of 1992, and have set about restoring it. It's amazing how cheap parts are for these old civics.

The site: www.Aerocivic.com

No kidding...I remember that from many years ago!

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #911 on: September 21, 2021, 10:06:51 AM »
Turned 300,000 miles on my daily driver MR2 last night!  It will be 31 years old in a couple more months.

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #912 on: September 21, 2021, 04:03:36 PM »
Turned 300,000 miles on my daily driver MR2 last night!  It will be 31 years old in a couple more months.
That’s amazing!!

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #913 on: September 21, 2021, 07:21:39 PM »
Well, it took me way too long, but I finally tackled the big job on my old Hyundai.  Started off as an annoying belt squeak, but turned into me replacing the serpentine belt, pulleys and tensioner, the harmonic balancer, timing belt, pulleys and tensioners, timing belt cover and water pump.  Would have been an absolutely brutal bill from a mechanic, so I’m glad I finally gathered the courage to tackle the timing belt and fix the squeaking issues (and do water pump since it’s timing belt run and I was in there already and it’s a 15 year old hyundai with 225k), it runs perfect now. 

jafr1284

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #914 on: September 29, 2021, 02:49:00 PM »
I just sold my honda for $1800 more than I paid for it... After owning it for 5 years. The only money I put into it was new tires and regular maintenance. If you have an old car sell it now! I'm very excited to be car free again.

ColoAndy

• Stubble
« Reply #915 on: October 22, 2021, 02:53:55 PM »
2012 Honda Accord sitting at 115k miles, all problem free.

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #916 on: October 24, 2021, 01:56:33 PM »
2007 Focus hatchback with the 2.0L and auto tranny. Just passed 120k miles. I've had it for 5 years, and put 10-12k miles yearly on it. I've replaced an engine mount, and the coolant thermostat. Little things too..horn, brake light bulb, etc. This year it's developed a very slow power steering fluid leak, and recently the engine rpms and headlights fluctuate at idle, unless the fan or AC is on lol. Need to figure that one out. Routine maintenance hasn't been too bad of a chore. Gotta ways to go to hit the high mileage clubbers in here.

WGH

• Stubble
« Reply #917 on: November 17, 2021, 03:14:26 PM »
I have a 2009 Nissan Altima hybrid with 268,000 miles on it. I've replaced the serpentine belt once, new rotors, front suspension, oxygen sensors and that's about it. I get oil changes every 10k miles with full synthetic and it seems to be fine.

It has some many dents and dings and the back looks terrible because I was rear ended and they wouldn't pay for the cosmetic damage as surprise surprise the car wasn't worth the repairs.

I'm kind of curious how long it will go before it just completely craps out. I was thinking of replacing it this year but with car prices being what they are then the journey to 300k miles is on!

ColoAndy

• Stubble
« Reply #918 on: December 03, 2021, 08:21:38 AM »
2012 Honda Accord 108,562 miles.  100% problem free.  Bought it new exactly 9 years ago today, Veterans Day 2011.
Sitting at 117,340 (still) 100% problem free miles.

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #919 on: December 03, 2021, 08:37:33 AM »

2009 Ford Focus, 110k miles, got it about 5 years ago, used.

It has been an awesome little car. No mechanical issues at all, but it is now rusting under driver and passenger doors with a rust hole on each side. It is a pity, because makes the car look really bad, I'm unsure on what to do to fix it or even if is worth it at all. The car is probably worth about 2k.

jamaicaspanish

• Stubble
« Reply #920 on: December 03, 2021, 09:01:31 AM »
2009 Honda Civic
Currently 145k
Our daily driver for the first 30k years
Then five years of college driving for two kids (while we were working overseas)
We took it back when college kids graduated and got jobs and got their own cars
BUT
Almost every conversation began and ended with  How is the Civic? Does it need an oil change?
So all maintenance has been performed on time every time
It is still a really, really nice Civic
This month I replaced the window belts (that disintegrating rubber strip on the bottom of the four windows)
And the door checkers
We bought a new Civic in 1989
We bought this Civic new in 2009
I am holding out to buy the next new Civic in 2029 -- twenty years seems about right

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #921 on: December 03, 2021, 09:54:31 AM »
2003 Toyota Sequoia with about 160,000 miles. I bought it from a family member for $500 where it was being used as a farm runabout. When we got it detailed before I took it, the cleaner said it was the dirtiest vehicle he'd ever cleaned! But it's in good shape (only a few duct-taped areas) and may it live long. Or at least until used car prices settle down. It's only 2WD and I occasionally run into issues with driving it in places a 2WD vehicle shouldn't go (but I'm also pretty good at getting unstuck - had lots of practice when I lived in a truck camper and drove a dually). I put winter tires on it and it's respectable in snow. I especially love it because I can put my mountain bike inside the vehicle for protection.

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #922 on: December 03, 2021, 03:31:54 PM »

Seems better to have low miles than to be driving all the time polluting the environment and contributing to climate change.

My car purchased new in August 2006 has 52,000 miles.  It's the only car in my household.  And as a plus, I haven't been on any planes in about 15 years.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #923 on: December 05, 2021, 10:00:43 AM »
So, we now have a teen driver, and because we have lots of kids, we often have to go three directions at the same time. So we are now a three-car family. Now, before you unleash your face punches, I have to brag a bit. Our third car is 15 years old and has 203,000 miles. AND its arrival has actually reduced the average age of our fleet. AND I got it for free, from a friend that didn't want to pay for some repairs on an old beater.  Since I do most of my own car maintenance and repair, I'm taking care of those few squawks, and I'll have a roadworthy car for very little money indeed.

thriftyc

• Bristles
« Reply #924 on: December 07, 2021, 07:48:54 PM »
2015 Hyundai Sonata with 280,000 KM on it.  I'm in outside sales and do a lot of driving. :)
Wife's car is a 2009 Toyota Corolla - @265,000 km.

We maintain the cars well, both run great.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #925 on: December 10, 2021, 07:49:31 AM »
So, 3/3 of our vehicles, all with over 200K miles,  went down in under 24 hours yesterday/day before.

One was deliberate, and was first, as my husband started disassembling a big chunk of it to try to replace the heater core (has had no heat for years). But then mine died on the way home when an idler pulley broke. And then, after we discovered the idler pulley is largely unavailable in the continental US, his died on the way back from a failed attempt to find the pulley in a junkyard. So after we had his towed home, we did a partial reassembly on the heater core replacement in progress (no heater core installed yet) so we can drive to the ER or at least to somewhere an ambulance can access if we have to.

Part for mine located at a dealer three states away, so it'll be here next week. Haven't even started troubleshooting his yet, but it's pouring rain so that will have to wait.

We may have to replace his, and if we do, we may buy something under 100K miles. The horror!

Meanwhile, the tractor still runs!

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #926 on: December 10, 2021, 08:08:33 AM »
So, 3/3 of our vehicles, all with over 200K miles,  went down in under 24 hours yesterday/day before.

One was deliberate, and was first, as my husband started disassembling a big chunk of it to try to replace the heater core (has had no heat for years). But then mine died on the way home when an idler pulley broke. And then, after we discovered the idler pulley is largely unavailable in the continental US, his died on the way back from a failed attempt to find the pulley in a junkyard. So after we had his towed home, we did a partial reassembly on the heater core replacement in progress (no heater core installed yet) so we can drive to the ER or at least to somewhere an ambulance can access if we have to.

Part for mine located at a dealer three states away, so it'll be here next week. Haven't even started troubleshooting his yet, but it's pouring rain so that will have to wait.

We may have to replace his, and if we do, we may buy something under 100K miles. The horror!

Dang! Do they all park in the same garage? Perhaps they're scheming against you?
I always have a backup vehicle, too. Right now it's a '79 Ford Econoline van I got for free, because my '91 Nissan flatbed (my preferred backup) needs a head gasket.
"If you've got room you might as well keep it"--Country philosopher.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #927 on: December 10, 2021, 08:47:11 AM »

Dang! Do they all park in the same garage? Perhaps they're scheming against you?
I always have a backup vehicle, too. Right now it's a '79 Ford Econoline van I got for free, because my '91 Nissan flatbed (my preferred backup) needs a head gasket.
"If you've got room you might as well keep it"--Country philosopher.

They all park in the same don't-have-a-garage (which is why we're not inclined to work on things in the pouring rain). The Wrangler will fit in the barn, but it's the one that's running again now, just without heat.

I don't know if they're conspiring. At this point it's really gotten to the point it's funny. It'll stay that way unless we run out of dog food... ;)

We just put a new engine in that Wrangler in October - it had been dead a couple years until then. So it could easily have been worse. This is why we keep a backup.

I learned to drive in a '63 Econoline - those things just keep going.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #928 on: December 11, 2021, 12:58:38 PM »
So we're nowhere near the high miles seen in this thread, but some of our cars are heading there.

2013 Subaru Crosstrek Limited.  Bought new.  About 150k miles on it.  Replaced CVT tran by Subaru under warranty at 53k miles and short block at 94k miles.  Just borked a CVT controller.  In the olden days, I'd just sell it off and buy something new, but this market has driven prices up tremendously.  This is a car I let one of my kids drive, and he doesn't take good care of cars, so I'm not getting him a new car.  So our mechanic will do the work along with other stuff and it'll keep on going.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.  I know this is the ultra car on MMM.  39k miles on it.  I do some serious offroading with a club.  This week, it's an extra car, being used because my older son's car backed the rooftop antenna into a not quite open garage door, allowing water to get in.  So any chance of rain and he leaves it here. 

2017 Subaru Legacy Limited.  We bought this one year used.  Sedans drop like a rock in value, so we did take advantage of that.  DW drives it.  44k miles on it.

2019 Subaru Crosstrek manual.  19k miles on it.  It's sort of my "nice" car.  Good mileage.  With the discounts I'm able to get on gas, it costs me less per mile to drive than any Tesla.  I lowered it 1.2 inches on RS-R springs and like it's handling characteristics and looks far better.  Yes, I'm a car guy.

2004 Honda S2000.  81k miles.  My son bought it a year and a half ago with 80k miles on is.  He may want to buy a different sports car, in which case, he'll sell it to me.  I've had toy cars in the past (before kids college).  College is all done, so I have money again.

2020 Subaru STi.  21k miles at less than a year.  This is my son's commuter to go the hour away to work.  He'll likely run it to 100k miles.  The worst part of this car is the stupid 19" wheels with rubber band tires.  He put a massive dent in one wheel and was told that 2 others are bent when he replaced tires.  He ended up buying some used 18" STi wheels and putting some snows on them.  He'll probably buy some other 18's for the summer.

So we only have 6 cars for 4 drivers.  My garage with a lift can hold 5 of them if needed.  I expect a year from now, we may have more.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #929 on: December 12, 2021, 01:46:07 PM »

Update: 2/3 vehicles running again. We put a not-quite-right idler pulley from the junkyard on mine as a temporary measure until the right part gets here. We won't drive it far or fast, but this will let us go get groceries in a vehicle that has heat. Delivery delayed but still expected Tuesday night.

His truck is going to take some work, but at least he was able to go to town for parts!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #930 on: December 12, 2021, 08:06:05 PM »
Well, it's official:  the beater a friend gave us is now road-worthy enough, and is now registered and insured.  We're a 3-car family.  The cars are 15, 15, and 26 years old, and have 203k, 214k, and 244k miles each.

PVD_Kev

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #931 on: January 10, 2022, 09:11:19 AM »
My 2013 Honda Civic Si is still going strong: 135k miles and still does a mean 0-60 and can go 90 MPH if I need to (you would be surprised how fast you have to go to use the passing lane for 20 seconds on I-95 between Providence and Boston), and I get 32 mpg on the highway. Had some clutch work done on it about five years ago, am on my second set of tires.  Nothing else but oil changes and such. In my 10-yr financial plan that started in 2016 I figured I would have to get a new car by now but now I am going to see how long she lasts.

Virtus3

• Stubble
« Reply #932 on: January 10, 2022, 09:32:09 AM »
My 2014 Forester just rolled over 40k miles. Out of interest I plugged it into Carvana and got an instant offer for about what I paid for it in Feb '18.

If the used car market wasn't so crazy right now I might try to roll into something less expensive.

Otterwins

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #933 on: January 10, 2022, 03:58:40 PM »
2008 Toyota Corolla with 230,000. I still think of this car as "new." 😂

I'd love to see it go another 10 years. It's the best little car.

MisterA

• Stubble
« Reply #934 on: January 14, 2022, 06:39:42 AM »
Some huge mileages here, with very small running costs.

Our (UK) 2006 Ford Mondeo station-wagon has covered 150k miles, and I'd estimate that it costs us in the region of $500/year in repairs. Last year it had a new steering rack (fitted by a mechanic I know) and new rear brake discs and pads (which I did). In the UK, there is a road worthiness test (called an MOT) which is required annually. The last check was in December, there is some rust underneath that will need patching (welding), and the whole brake system pipework needs changing before the next check (due to minor corrosion).

The following link shows an image of the car type, and if you scroll down, you'll see the results of all the annual checks since 2008 (if anybody is interested!):

https://www.carveto.co.uk/mot-history-check/?affiliate=mot-check+main+page%2C+top&carVrm=bt55rhu

This is a list of the 'advisories' from the last check, in December:

Nearside front brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
Offside front brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
Nearside rear brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
Offside rear brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material both front to rear pipes (1.1.11 (c))
Nearside track rod end ball joint dust cover damaged or deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt (2.1.3 (g) (i))
Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))
Nearside rear tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge 1.6mm (5.2.3 (e))
Rear integral body structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced crossmember (6.1.1 (c) (i))
Nearside rear brake hose slightly deteriorated (1.1.12 (b) (ii))
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 12:57:36 PM by MisterA »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #935 on: January 14, 2022, 08:11:28 AM »
Some huge mileages here, with very small running costs.

Our (UK) Ford Mondeo station-wagon has covered 150k miles, and I'd estimate that it costs us in the region of $500/year in repairs. Last year it had a new steering rack (fitted by a mechanic I know) and new rear brake discs and pads (which I did). In the UK, there is a road worthiness test (called an MOT) which is required annually. The last check was in December, there is some rust underneath that will need patching (welding), and the whole brake system pipework needs changing before the next check (due to minor corrosion).

The following link shows an image of the car type, and if you scroll down, you'll see the results of all the annual checks since 2008 (if anybody is interested!):

https://www.carveto.co.uk/mot-history-check/?affiliate=mot-check+main+page%2C+top&carVrm=bt55rhu

This is a list of the 'advisories' from the last check, in December:

Nearside front brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
Offside front brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
Nearside rear brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
Offside rear brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material both front to rear pipes (1.1.11 (c))
Nearside track rod end ball joint dust cover damaged or deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt (2.1.3 (g) (i))
Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))
Nearside rear tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge 1.6mm (5.2.3 (e))
Rear integral body structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced crossmember (6.1.1 (c) (i))
Nearside rear brake hose slightly deteriorated (1.1.12 (b) (ii))
Wow, they called out a deteriorated, but still functional, tie rod end boot?  Dang, I'm glad I don't have to deal with that sort of nit-picking.  I can only imagine what the inspector would call out on my cars...

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #936 on: January 22, 2022, 02:08:34 PM »
Sad news.  My '95 Corolla is no more.  It was done in, not by mechanical failure, nor rust, nor even my teenage drivers.  I lent it to my brother, and he got rear-ended on a slushy highway.  Because of its age and mileage (245k), the insurance company totalled it.  We owned that car for almost 19 years.  Bought it before we got married.  Brought our first two kids home from the hospital in it.  Moved across the country multiple times in it.

Now I'm in the market for a car.  Again.

goodmoneygoodlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Good Money Good Life
« Reply #937 on: January 24, 2022, 06:18:33 AM »
I walk, and have no car to maintain.

*mic drop*

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #938 on: February 03, 2022, 09:11:56 AM »
Good news!  The insurance company paid us $1700ish for our '95 Corolla.  Three days ago, we found its replacement.  We are now the proud owners of....a '97 Geo Prizm (basically a rebadged Corolla) with only 150k miles.  Which we paid $1700 for.  So, for the cost of the title and plate transfer and sales tax (can you believe that IL quadrupled the sales tax on old cars?), we now have a car that is two years younger and has almost 100k fewer miles.  I'll have to work through some deferred maintenance (change fluids, a couple minor squawks, maybe change the timing belt, since there's no record of that happening), but because it's basically the same car, I already know where everything is and how everything comes apart.

After spending a couple months driving a positively massive Pontiac Grand Prix, I am thoroughly enjoying the amazing visibility, the maneuverability, the fuel efficiency, and the honest simplicity of this car.  Oh, and it handled yesterday's huge snowstorm like a champ.

ColoAndy

• Stubble
« Reply #939 on: February 04, 2022, 12:37:12 PM »
2012 Honda Accord with 118,620 problem free miles.

HawkeyeNFO

• Bristles
  • Retired at 44.....back to work at 45
« Reply #940 on: March 07, 2022, 09:45:15 AM »
2003 Chevy Trailblazer - 185k - my daily driver
2009 Ford Escape - 130k - "disposable" car for the teens to learn how to drive
2018 Chrysler Pacifica - 70k - Mrs HawkeyeNFO's daily driver

So 2 old cars, but the average is an age of 12 years old, with over 128k miles.  I do also have a garage queen / toy roadster convertible, but it's not frequently used.  If you can do most of the maintenance yourself, like oil changes, brake service, and some other items, it really keeps the ownership costs low.

ColoAndy

• Stubble
« Reply #941 on: March 09, 2022, 07:03:42 AM »
2012 Honda Accord sitting at 115k miles, all problem free.
Just hit 119k miles.  Still 100% problem free.

ColoAndy

• Stubble
« Reply #942 on: March 09, 2022, 07:07:13 AM »
I walk, and have no car to maintain.

*mic drop*
LOL!

theninthwall

• Stubble
« Reply #943 on: May 12, 2022, 07:11:28 AM »
I was directed to this thread by another member. I don’t know if anyone will be interested but it makes me feel better to post/brag here haha.
We bought our Prius for $6k with 95,000 miles on it back in 2018. It went very well until 2021, when we needed to get the ABS accumulator replaced and a wheel bearing fixed. A mere two weeks later we were in a fender bender. The car still drove, but I needed to use a crowbar to bend the fender back enough to open the driver’s door.
Then earlier this year the catalytic converter got stolen, so that was another $2k, including a guard to stop it happening again. A few days later we were left stranded eight hours from home after some debris got into the MAF sensor (a friendly mechanic diagnosed that for us).
Cut to a week ago and we were almost left stranded again, this time by an inverter water pump failure. Needless to say my wife and I were feeling pretty exhausted by the car at this point.
We started looking into new cars, but we wanted a report from our mechanic Todd (Tampa Hybrids, highly recommended if you are in the area). He gave us renewed faith in the car, and said we’d just been unlucky. He said worst case scenario is the battery fails and the engine goes tomorrow, and those run at $2k and $2.5k respectively to replace, so we would still be money ahead to keep the Prius and not get a brand new car or another Prius (bearing in mind that to get another ten year old Prius with less than 100k miles is in the $13-14k range right now).
Anyway, the fun part of the story is Todd said he knew a Cuban guy who could do a budget repair job on the front end. We had panel shops look at the car in the past and they had quoted us anywhere between $3k and $5k to fix the damage. This guy found a fender, a headlight, a fog light surround and did what he could with the existing bumper and hood to make it look smooth with some carbon fiber vinyl. My wife and I thought the end result was hilarious and love it.
We have 173,000 miles on now and we want to get as many as we can. Before and after photos attached.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #944 on: May 12, 2022, 07:59:37 AM »
Been driving a 1997 Subaru Outback Sport with ~170k on the odometer since we returned to the USA in October. Neat little car. It needs some work, but it cost us almost nothing.......#stealthwealth.

Still driving this POS, still haven't changed the oil, 180k on the clock now.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #945 on: May 12, 2022, 08:35:46 AM »
2011 Chevy Aveo, salvage title. My salvage-yard mechanic, who I only use if I have something extremely specific I want put in or taken out, told me he has a customer who has taken his over 300,000 miles by changing the timing belt every 80,000 instead of 100,000 miles. I did mine at 90,000 and it just hit 100,000.

The cooling system gave me trouble for a while, but that turned out to be because the guy who rebuilt it after it hit a deer (hence the salvage title) put in a lot of common hoses, and that system needs molded hoses. So new (proper) hoses and a heater core flush sorted it out.

At the moment I am pushing the limits of what you can move in a small car. Most recently I fit two 7-foot trees in it. I've fit one entire pallet in it, and several items of furniture. Thinking about roof racks or one of those $350 Harbor Freight trailers to expand my hauling capabilities as we're in DIY season and I don't have a boyfriend with a truck at the moment.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #946 on: May 17, 2022, 08:36:19 AM »
Well we said goodbye to our 2004 Acura TL with 202,000km on it.
DS was driving back from quidditch practice in Kingston (DS has reached peak nerdom) and was hit on the 401.  No one was hurt. Phew. DS was deemed not at fault.  Phew. Both vehicles were insurance write offs. 
We negotiated a $4,650CAN settlement that captures HST and all the towing charges. 

We are now a one car family with four drivers.  And both offspring have been involved in car accidents that resulted in vehicle write offs but were not injured in less than six months apart. 

That acura engine is in such good shape. At the wreckers DH started it up to get all his CD's out of the stereo and it turned over on the first try.  As it has done every time since we bought it in 2007 even in cold weather.  My brother always referred to it as a piece of junk - he the owner of a fancy audi convertible that he replaces every four years because he starts needing tows.  A very good example of how little my brother knows about cars.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #947 on: May 18, 2022, 08:16:42 PM »
We just bought a new (to us) car.  A 2009 Holden Cruze with 170,000 kms on the clock.  It is immaculate and feels like a new car.  Such luxury. 

It was about half price of others on the market, and as far as I can tell the main reason was it being manual.  Put a stick shift in a car and it becomes a heap cheaper as 3/4 of Australians under 30 can't drive it.

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #948 on: May 18, 2022, 09:51:32 PM »
It isn't me, but there's some bloke in the land down under with a similar email and his Focus is due up for its 345,000 kilometer service. Hats off to ya, mate, those are some real miles!

alex2918

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Wealth is the ability to fully experience life.
« Reply #949 on: May 21, 2022, 11:18:51 AM »
My 2008 Pilot with 192K miles I think qualifies bragging. I bought it for 26K brand new. My two kids both grew up in this car and the car is gone through all kind of use and abuse. We also had a major accident driving at high speed and we all came out without a single scratch.

And that is not all .. We have been renting this car for last 3-4 years and more or less recovered 15K .

I have few other cars much newer but I can say this car still drives better than most other cars.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!