Author Topic: Brag on your MMM high-mileage or old car  (Read 403994 times)

Purple_90

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Brag on your MMM high-mileage or old car
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2014, 07:50:28 AM »
I drive a 2005 VW Jetta. It doesn't have THAT high of miles on it yet (it's at about 130k), but my last car, which is a Honda, has over 220k on it. It's still going strong since I gave it to my brother.

ChrisLansing

• Bristles
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2014, 06:56:20 AM »
'04 CR-V with 80,000 miles.  This car should last us the rest of our lives.    '98 Ranger with 150,000 miles.   This truck should last several more years.   The mileage numbers are not impressive unless you realize that cars this old with low mileage represent the fact that we don't drive a lot.    My wife and I each drive about 6K miles a year.   That's 12K combined, still below the national average for a single driver.   

JoeK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2014, 11:37:54 AM »
This thread has gotten long, which is good news for the world. I may have already mentioned mine and that you can easily guess what kind of car I have. =-)

I was just thinking about this topic today as I am driving to meet someone and started to wonder if I would be judged for my car. I rarely drive to meet anyone as I either walk or take public transportation, so driving feels weird. The car is about ten years old, and some would be embarrassed for me, I know. What others do not know is that I think it would be even better to have no car at all!

A true Mustachian doesn't care if other people "judge" your choice of car. Honestly, I don't understand the mentality (although it is really widespread) that a car has to be some extension of you as a person.

I just recently sold a newer car that I was driving and replaced it with a newly-purchased 2001 Toyota Echo with 102,000 miles. Not only is it the oldest car I've owned in a long time, it's probably the one that's made me happiest, even though it's got roll-down windows and I can't use one of those remote buttons to unlock the doors any more. I'm pretty sure my family/friends think I'm crazy, but that's ok - this car gets 40+mpg and I don't really care what it looks like!

I just wish I'd had my Mustachian epiphany sooner, since I've wasted my fair share of money on cars and transportation.

Its purpose is to get me from place to place as cheaply and efficiently as possible. There are very few options better than an old Toyota for that, so your username is very apt.

One of my friends commutes round-trip 128 miles per day in a v6 Honda Accord. He's selling it and getting an even worse gas guzzling Lexus. I just don't get it.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: April 08, 2014, 05:13:05 PM »
Got another couple hundred $ into my '95 Eclipse now.  Was able to cut the rear toe arms off and replace them with an upgraded set (includes threaded rod adjuster for when the eccentric bolts rust into place, which happens FAST up here in Ohio).  127,000 miles.  Not much to brag about, but I enjoy working on it (which is good because it's broken a LOT).  :-)

Little Nell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: April 08, 2014, 10:45:23 PM »
1989 Volvo wagon with about 240k on it. We bought it in 2000 with 103k. It's been back and forth across the Cascades, Rockies and Great Plains. It's also our logging truck.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2014, 11:11:56 PM »
1965 Datsun Fairlady. Not sure of the mileage because it only goes up to 99,999, but I would estimate it's done at least 7-8 revolutions in it's life. It's a bit like grandpas axe though, 3x paint jobs, 3x engine replacements, 1x gearbox. Oh, and a new roof. Hubby and I do all the work ourselves, I estimate aside from fuel, insurance etc. it's averaged out around $200 a year in maintenance, including all the body and mechanical work. Most years it's just a couple of $50 oil and filter changes. Parts aren't expensive, they can be a bit hard to find though.

That's my most up to date photo, haven't taken any since I finished the most recent restoration. Yep, she's pink. No, we don't have any kids at home, so 2 seats is perfectly adequate. It also has a fudged-up bike rack so I can take her to triathlons.

Have to allow about 40 minutes to put fuel in her though, because every man and his dog wants to talk to me about her.

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: April 09, 2014, 04:17:59 AM »
Primm, that is a beauty!  I can see why it takes so long to fuel it up!

samburger

• Bristles
« Reply #107 on: April 09, 2014, 09:41:37 AM »
I drive the car my parents gave me when I was 16, a 2001 Saturn. I've had it for 9 years, but I have no idea how many miles the thing has because the odometer blew during one particularly brutal cold snap several years ago.

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #108 on: April 14, 2014, 02:24:27 AM »
2001 manual Toyota corolla.  138k miles, gets 35-40 mpgs (depending in how much city driving vs highway driving we doz). 
I had to replace the clutch in 2012, and my friend who owned the car before me replaced the transmission in 2004-ish (I bought it in 2005-ish).
It has a detroit tigers "D" sticker on the trunk, is a lovely red color, and has a very scratched bumper from street parking it in Manhattan.
I love my car!

SmilingBob

« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2014, 06:52:05 AM »
2004 GMC Yukon Denali, 33k miles.  :)

Yes, I know it isn't very Mustachian, but it is hardly driven, super low mileage, looks brand new and fits the gigantic dual stroller we need for our babies (car trunks no worky I'm afraid).  And Mrs. SmilingBob loves her giant trucks, what can you do?  It is our only vehicle, I have a company car with free gas and insurance for work.  :D

Heywood57

• Stubble
« Reply #110 on: April 14, 2014, 08:00:29 AM »

1990 Toyota 4x4 pickup with 310K miles.
2004 Toyota Highlander 215K miles.

Both have been trouble free.

rescuedog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2014, 10:26:54 AM »
I have a Saturn SL 1998 sedan.  I bought it 4 years ago for $2200.

It has 190,000+ miles on it.  I only drive it 3000 miles a year - mostly around town.  Annually costs, with gas, registration, maintenance, repairs, insurance... it costs $1200-1500 to own.

I no longer use it for road trips or anything that will take me out of the valley (I don't think it's all that trust worthy, but I should probably have a mechanic deem that instead), but when I did, I easily got 42 mpg on the highway.

I read a review about this Saturn. Someone said it was as exciting as low-fat vanilla yogurt.  Pretty true!

mrsggrowsveg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2014, 07:15:47 AM »
I have a 2003 Volkswagen Jetta TDI with over 300,000.  We haven't put that many miles on it, but bought it with high miles.  I drove a Jeep Cherokee in high school with over 300,000 miles and my dad is still driving it to this day.  We have had great luck with high mileage vehicles because my dad and now husband take immaculate care of their cars.

agentM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2014, 03:30:02 PM »
Another happy Toyota Echo driver here. It's a 2003 with 150k on it. Bought it in 2005 with 60k already on it. We do roadtrips alot to state parks, which is nearly all of the mileage on it. And we easily fit 4 people, a dog, and all of our stuff comfortably inside while driving 10 hours a day for 2-3 weeks.

So wish Toyota was still making this excellent car. The Yaris just doesn't measure up in terms of comfort and design to the Echo.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: April 17, 2014, 03:38:51 PM »
1998 Toyota Tercel - 150 000 kilometers with manual trans and roll down windows. We just had it repainted and it looks brand new. It was getting a bit too shabby looking even for us.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 05:58:32 PM by totoro »

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: April 20, 2014, 07:19:21 AM »
DH saw this article the other day "10 Cars Most Likely to go 200k Miles" and the Taurus is the only non-Japanese one to make the list. Makes me laugh whenever people dog on Fords :)

We had a decade long lesson on the difference between popular wisdom and reality, when it comes to vehicles that are "known" to be junk, based on the brand, or specific model.

In 2000 we bought a new Dodge Intrepid, base model with the 2.7 V6.  We drove it for the next ten years and 190K miles with very, very little spent on actual repairs, and way more than average spent on obsessive maintenance. I did the oil every 5K, and every two years EVERY fluid in the car was replaced, trans, coolant, brakes, etc..... At the ten year mark we were in solid shape financially, and the Wife decided that a new CRV was her next car, and since she had a high paying job, she wrote a check for one. We sold the Dodge to a repair shop and they are STILL using it as a daily loaner. They have almost 300K on it. It looks like a pile of well hammered shit, and it runs great.
   OTOH, many knowledgeable folks will tell you that that was a horrible car, very prone to oil sludging, unreliable, and to be avoided as a used car. IMHO, it really helps to have "good bones" and a Toyota will generally last a heck of a lot longer that most of the lesser Chrysler products out there, but it's amazing what a religiously obsessive maintenance campaign can due when it comes to creating an outlier. 

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #116 on: April 20, 2014, 05:41:10 PM »
Mine's a 2002 Saturn SL1 with less than 83,000 miles on it.  With any luck I'll still be driving it when I retire in 10 years.

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #117 on: April 21, 2014, 09:21:44 AM »
My 1996 Volvo wagon is at 164k, only bought it last summer with 155k on the clock though.  My dad's still driving his 1994 Buick LeSabre with 142k on it (he got it for free from his father-in-law about 11 years ago with 41k on it, doesn't get much better than that).  My girlfriend used to have a '93 Volvo with 211k on it before she moved across the country.  I'm sure it's still driving around Phoenix.

I see no reason why my Volvo won't last me well past 200k.  It's a *very* well-built car, and it's been very well taken-care of in the past.  I'm also babying it pretty hard.  Textbook maintenance.  If you treat a car like you'll have it forever, you probably will be able to.

The main problem with old cars (at least in northern Illinois) is rust.  Get something built decently, and without rust (or minor rust that you fix right away), take care of it, and no reason it can't run forever.  My Volvo had only two very small spots of rust when I got it, and I fixed them easily before winter came to make them bigger.

I'm driving a '92 Volvo with 230k (plus the three years when the odo was broken) up here in Wisconsin. I've heard they do very well w/r/t rust, but  it'll be a sad day nonetheless when it first appears.

If mine ever bites the dust, I think I'd "upgrade" to one of those mid-late nineties wagons.
Nice.  I do love the older RWD Volvos.  They're even more tank-like than mine.

Indeed, they were awesome! To bad they don't make them anymore. The newer Volvos just don't have the quality anymore. I've had one from 1971, one from 1984. Being from Sweden I still see them for sale here, lots of them have around 300000-400000 miles on them, still going strong. And spare parts were almost free for them, since almost everyone had a Volvo. I really miss them :( Now I have a 99 Toyota, that gets about 50% longer per liter of gas though, so not everything was better with the old Volvos.

Yeah. the mileage is a bit of a bummer. Short of taking off the doors, I really don't know what I can do about it, though I'm trying to finetune my hypermiling skills.

My parents had a new Volvo stationwagon and I really hated driving it. The visibility and turning radius were both terrible. After renting a car and driving a few other new ones, I really hate that they all seem to have made compromises with visibility.

luigi49

• Bristles
« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2014, 11:00:20 AM »
Wow the datsun fairlady is a nice car. Simple car to work on.  I rather have a crank window although the convenience of having power window I still prefer a crank window.

I have a taurus for company car and it had a lot of problem.  The only reason why it was on the road because its being service every 6 months.  Other than that it is uncomfortable car and not reliable.

Had a nissan with 200k miles that blew a head gasket so I sold it. 

Ftao93

• Stubble
Re: Brag on your high-mileage car
« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2014, 11:58:30 AM »
327,000 miles on my 1992 Honda Civic. Still gets ~ 40mpg. Manual transmission, manual windows, manual locks. 4 doors, spacious trunk. T

We no longer have a car, but I wanted to chime in on this.

I had a 91 civic, no frills, all manual.  sold it with 270 miles to a friend. He replaced the original clutch and some belts, it's still running 3 years later with over 300k.  Leaks lots of oil, so he'll have to redo the seals at some point.

I kind of regret selling it!

Jordie64

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2014, 12:15:54 PM »
I have a 2000 Toyota Camry with 248,000 miles on it. I have had it for 7 years and it's still going strong. It's going to need a big overall pretty soon but I know it will last me for a good while longer.

Before that I had a 1994 Toyota Camry which I sold to my friend's Grandma. Every once in a while I go over there and I still see it there, working away for her.

P.S. I have been lurking here for a couple months and this is my first post! Found MMM and it's definitely changed my way of thinking on all aspects of my financial life.

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
« Reply #121 on: April 22, 2014, 07:37:18 AM »
my dd 97 civic - 230k  (just replaced the original clutch last summer)
DW's 04 Subie- 174k (just replaced the original clutch last weekend)

Maintenance is done at home by us. Labor is free.
As for total operating expenses, tires are probably the most expensive items. Everything else is relatively cheap.
Still cheaper than a new car payment!

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2014, 06:35:55 PM »
Hand-me-down, cosmetically-challenged 1996 Honda Odyssey at 200,500 miles! Happy to see fellow Odyssey-ers and so many other Hondas on here! This van just keeps ticking and we're hoping it'll hold out for a few more years. Considering a Honda Fit after the Odyssey bites the dust (it can't live forever, right?).

The drawback to the Odyssey is the poor fuel efficiency, but, we do love the cargo space for toting our garage sale/side-of-the-road/craigslist finds. Plus, our greyhound enjoys stretching out in the back (and licking the window for unknown reasons...)

I love this thread--no one else appreciates or understands how awesome we think our ol' frugal-wagon is! You guys are the best!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2014, 12:28:21 AM »
A little off topic, but newly minted 16 year old driver told me yesterday that he thinks he'd like to buy a beater as his first car!

Winning!!!

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2014, 04:30:16 PM »
A little off topic, but newly minted 16 year old driver told me yesterday that he thinks he'd like to buy a beater as his first car!

Winning!!!

Show him this thread to prove:
1)  It's cool as we all think it is awesome!
2)  That some makes/models are more likely to hit MMM status than others

GBR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2014, 04:25:03 PM »
96' mazda with only 115,000 miles! I don't drive often. Unfortunately only ~25 mpg.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2014, 10:18:51 AM »
14 year old Toyota pickup is just about to click over 200000km.

Actually this truck has been a vital cog in my journey towards FIRE... upon purchase, it cost considerably more than comparable Ford Rangers, Nissan Frontiers etc... but has been worth the premium I paid. Not a single significant problem in 14 years... it still looks new, no rust, engine still purrs nicely... I can see this thing *knock on wood* powering past 400000km with ease. Don't think I will have to budget for a new vehicle for a long time as I head into ER.

Kudos to the car-free people, but I am one of those who will always have a truck - to haul my kayaks all over the Pacific NW and beyond.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2014, 06:32:34 PM »
Just had the 270,000 mile fluid changes done on my 1991 Toyota MR2.  :-)  I'll do the spark plug changes myself shortly.  I don't mind that, it's super easy.  Fluids, I don't do anymore.  I always manage to coat the garage floor with them even with all kinds of catch containers.  I figure it's my gift to the environment to have a pro (and independent guy that is very reasonable on labor) do that.  :-)

SJS

• Stubble
« Reply #128 on: April 28, 2014, 09:46:34 PM »
any idea how much you guys have spent over the lifetime of the car to maintain it those miles? i wonder if the costs adds up...

Trust me, the "costs" that they are putting into the cars a this point are FAR less than the car payments they'd be paying if they had a "newer" car! 

I just don't get folks who think you need to have a new car every 4 yrs.  Even every 6-7 years!  That's just crazy.  If you take good care of a car (routine maint, tires, other usual stuff) the car should go for way longer than that.  We are early retirees, and our financial planner had our financial projections showing a new car for each of us every 7 years.  I laughed my butt off at him!  My last Honda Accord was a manual, drove it for 15 years and finally gave it to a friend who needed a car.  Bought a Toyota Camry (new/cash) that I don't like as much as I did the Honda, but will drive it for at LEAST another 10 yrs..  We also just bought a used Honda Civic to keep at our winter home - it's awesome on mileage and is damn peppy!   I drive around town in this little car and look at all the other folks driving (alone) in their big a$$ SUVs/Trucks and just shake my head.    I just don't get it.  WHY would you drive around in those gas guzzlers (at $3.50/gallon!!) if you didn't absolutely have to have one?  Absurd.  Totally absurd. 

S0VERE1GN

• Stubble
« Reply #129 on: April 29, 2014, 07:14:18 AM »
Got an '83 Porsche 944 I'm going to turn into my Daily driver. Just needs an interior right now which I am stitching out of old leather coats.

Last year I repainted the entire thing in my garage at a total cost of about $400 including tool purchases.

badass, and frugal. Odometer read 153k before I bought it, and the guy had just rebuilt the engine. Love that car.

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: April 29, 2014, 09:13:28 AM »
Got an '83 Porsche 944 I'm going to turn into my Daily driver. Just needs an interior right now which I am stitching out of old leather coats.

Last year I repainted the entire thing in my garage at a total cost of about $400 including tool purchases.

badass, and frugal. Odometer read 153k before I bought it, and the guy had just rebuilt the engine. Love that car.

Got any pictures? 

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: April 29, 2014, 09:45:41 AM »
I just don't get folks who think you need to have a new car every 4 yrs.  Even every 6-7 years!  That's just crazy.  If you take good care of a car (routine maint, tires, other usual stuff) the car should go for way longer than that.

The saddest thing for me is to see people trade in perfectly serviceable, and paid for, cars for new ones because they hit one of the larger routine maintenance mileages.  Somehow, because it has scheduled maintenance due, they think the car is falling apart.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #132 on: April 29, 2014, 09:57:32 AM »
Registering my new old car today!

1999 Chevy Metro, 55hp 1.0L 3 cylinder engine, 5 speed manual.  146K miles on the clock.  Got it for a grand.  Previous owner said he was getting about 45MPG.  I should be able to get that up to 55MPG or so with some elbow grease and a new nut behind the wheel.  Needs a little bit of work, but will be a solid daily driver out of the gate.  These cars are so simple to work on.  I'm going to throw a new timing belt on sometime this week, and it probably won't take more than an hour if I go slow.

S0VERE1GN

• Stubble
« Reply #133 on: April 29, 2014, 01:06:35 PM »

Got any pictures?

If I remember I'll post some up when I get home.

AMustachianMurse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2014, 08:37:03 AM »
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 215k+ miles.  Gas guzzler like all hell, but I live a few miles from work so it's not that bad.  Working on biking to work to prolong the life of the old gal but I never learned how to ride a bike as a kid so it's going to be a challenging journey to daily bike commuter status.  No time like the present though!

The jeep also has a special place in my heart because that was the year Jurassic Park came out *do dooo do dooo dododo dodo do doooo*.

Slash, I had a patient the other day who was 19, worried about her hair and her bf before surgery, and I realized that she wasn't alive when that movie came out....lol...and I died a little inside.

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2014, 09:38:36 AM »
Trust me, the "costs" that they are putting into the cars a this point are FAR less than the car payments they'd be paying if they had a "newer" car! 

Whenever I take my '92 to the mechanic, I like to pretend I'm making a "car payment". One or two a year, if that.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2014, 06:11:56 PM »

1999 Chevy Metro, 55hp 1.0L 3 cylinder engine, 5 speed manual. 

Back when those things were new, my brother was running a rental place, and found it entertaining to give me a new one with an automatic, while my car was getting fixed. I headed home and got to a substantial climb, crossing over the mountain at one of the local ski areas. I mashed the pedal and it was hilarious. It made a whole lot of engine noise, like it should of really taken off, then ............well.......nothing happened. It just slooooowly climbed the mountain, making lots of noise.

I know that they have a real cult following and it will be reliable, cheap and get great MPGs for you, so I'm not picking on it. However, if you ever get the chance to take a 3 cyl. automatic one for a spin, don't pass it up. It's a lot like driving a lawn tractor. A slow lawn tractor.

kc2006

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2014, 08:51:06 PM »
She's not high mileage but I have to brag on this one.

Picked up an 03 Impala the other day with 60,000 miles on it, it was a little old lady's that bought a new prius and didn't want this car anymore.  It needed brakes, which I replaced already and just needed washed up.  The car is mint, and I only gave $2500 for it.  Blue book for a dealer is around $7000 for it, feels good to have such a cheap reliable car and no payment.

Oh and the lady kept track of the mileage in a little note pad with each fill up, from what I saw it regularly got 25-28mpg around town.  I drive like an old lady and so far I've seen the same, I love it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 08:52:37 PM by kc2006 »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #138 on: May 08, 2014, 06:12:19 AM »

1999 Chevy Metro, 55hp 1.0L 3 cylinder engine, 5 speed manual. 

Back when those things were new, my brother was running a rental place, and found it entertaining to give me a new one with an automatic, while my car was getting fixed. I headed home and got to a substantial climb, crossing over the mountain at one of the local ski areas. I mashed the pedal and it was hilarious. It made a whole lot of engine noise, like it should of really taken off, then ............well.......nothing happened. It just slooooowly climbed the mountain, making lots of noise.

I know that they have a real cult following and it will be reliable, cheap and get great MPGs for you, so I'm not picking on it. However, if you ever get the chance to take a 3 cyl. automatic one for a spin, don't pass it up. It's a lot like driving a lawn tractor. A slow lawn tractor.
Oh man, I've heard some awful things about the automatic transmissions they put in those cars.  They're really bad.  And they're only 3-speeds with no overdrive.  So the engine spins way too fast on the highway.  They're pretty useless in my opinion.  Their mileage isn't even that great (by comparison).  You can get like maybe 35MPG out of them from what I hear, which plenty of larger cars can do.

Last two tanks I got somewhere between 39MPG and 54MPG with this guy (different gas pumps, so inconclusive math).  It's been fun.

MrAlexMoore

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #139 on: May 08, 2014, 09:55:39 AM »
While it's very antimustachian for other people, I have to say I love people who buy new, pay off their car, and then sell it to me a few years later at a steep discount, only to go buy another new car.  Their insanity is my gain.

My wife and I share 2 cars.  While they aren't old now, I expect to keep these babies for the next 10-20 years.
2008 Honda Fit - purchased from a "new cars only" guy who took amazing care of it and then sold it to me for cheap.  It has 100k miles, and I'm hoping it gets to 300k at least.  28mpg, possibly the best car ever.
2003 Ford Focus - commuter only, purchased for $2500.  It has 135k miles and gets 32mpg, which gets the job done.

The only reason I bought the Focus, is my wife got in an accident in her 1993 Civic Del Sol.  These are the 2nd best car ever, basically a sexy mustachian convertible.  Unfortunately the cost to repair was more than it was worth, so we got the Focus. 

I drive the Focus to my job, and it definitely the cheapest car in the parking lot, by far.  While other people look at me funny, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Ftao93

• Stubble
« Reply #140 on: May 08, 2014, 10:30:59 AM »
Mustachian:

1 used Genuine buddy 125.  currently has @ 9k miles on it, purchased for 1k.  It has had some repairs that were unexpected, but it happens and they weren't bad.  Expect to get 70k miles out of it easy, average 90mpg with my wife on it.

1 1987 Honda helix 250.  Also bought for 1k to hone my scooter repair skills.  turns out it needs a belt and a master cyclinder rebuild.  Total cost: $40!   Doesn't get the best mileage due to age and such, only @ 54mpg.  May replace the tank/carb eventually, at which point it should get closer to 70mpg.  It's like driving a couch (that can't go up hill very fast...)

The Semi mustachian:

1 buddy 150, bought brand new.  I pimped it out with nice suspension, exhaust, etc.  gets @ 80mpg (note, it was still cheap!).  I've put 12k miles on it, @ half for work (which paid for the fanciness in mileage...).   It was my first new vehicle ever, and I went nuts with a service plan, etc.  Fortunately it worked out in my favor (I still have a year left) since I get free labor and service.  Given the miles I have used it, I came out ahead.  I probably won't do this again though, given the reliability of these vehicles.

1 Honda CTX700.  Also new.  Gets @ 70mpg, and is my longer distance commuter/touring  bike.  If it existed used when I needed it, I would have bought used.  I'll be paying it off for a year, but it's easy to maintain and a nice bike.

I still say get used if you can, and let someone else eat the depreciation.  Fortunately depreciation is much less on a scoot (as a $ amount, not a %), and I plan on riding all but maybe the Helix until the wheels fall off.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #141 on: May 08, 2014, 02:26:39 PM »
2000 Honda Accord V6 at 260k+ miles.  Had one transmission replaced on warranty (this was the year they left a part out of the transmission) and did it again for $5k at 180k miles.  Rest has been excellent.  Did have it repainted after about 10 years, and the Texas salt is making it need another paint job.  Normal maintenance (brakes twice, struts once, etc.), of course.

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 with 140k miles.  Bought it used about three years ago with 110k miles.  Had the timing belt replaced after buying it for preventive reasons, and normal maintenance since.

superone!

• Stubble
« Reply #142 on: May 09, 2014, 06:15:56 PM »
When I drive (I'm trying mostly to bike!) I drive a 1977 Mercedes 240D. Despite being more than 5 years older than me, she's got less than 110,000 miles on her! And the old solid mercedes engines will go for 500,000+ if you take care of them. Plus, as a diesel, I get around 30 mpg, which isn't bad for a 36 year old car!

katie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #143 on: May 09, 2014, 07:16:31 PM »
Our car is a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (the one with a supercharger).  It has 215k miles on it.  I got it long before I met my husband with plans to run it into the ground.  Since he can fix anything with a motor, I might have this thing forever. :)  As long as the transmission, motor, or supercharger do not go out, he keeps fixing all the little things.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #144 on: May 09, 2014, 09:30:34 PM »
When I drive (I'm trying mostly to bike!) I drive a 1977 Mercedes 240D. Despite being more than 5 years older than me, she's got less than 110,000 miles on her! And the old solid mercedes engines will go for 500,000+ if you take care of them. Plus, as a diesel, I get around 30 mpg, which isn't bad for a 36 year old car!
Badass!  Those cars are awesome and indestructible.

Hackstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #145 on: May 10, 2014, 07:01:24 AM »
2001 Chevy Cavalier with 198,000 miles on it. It's got some rust and this summer I'm going to cut that out and replace it with fresh metal. Good excuse to learn to paint a car as well.

I've only gotten a little bit of crap for driving this, but nobody teases me after I tell them that I paid it off seven years ago. It's a little two door stick shift and I've never had to worry about gas prices. Keeping this car and paying off the loan fast are two of the best money decisions I made prior to getting into the MMM swing of things.

William

• Stubble
    • First Quarter Finance
« Reply #146 on: May 14, 2014, 09:38:36 AM »

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX.  124,000 miles.  Not terribly mustachian, but still better than the average SUV/minivan on the road I suppose.  Parts are cheap, and *most* of them are readily available (there's a few that are insanely hard to find) but it breaks all the time and gas mileage is poor.  At one time I was getting 28-30 mpg mixed driving out of it, but it was due to a fuel flow problem that made it horrible to drive in traffic.  With that fixed it gets 26 mpg no matter what kind of driving I do with it (book value is 21/29 city/highway).  2013 was an ugly year.  I had air intake piping rust out and need replacement (did some upgrades at the same time, so dropped about $3500), some electrical wiring fell apart and had to be repaired (my own labor), a cooling system hose blew (original, when I had the shop do all the hoses a couple times they failed to notice/do this one hidden hose!  $150), a wheel bearing seized (and ultimately cost $3000+ due to lack of parts/collateral damage), brake caliper seized (fixed myself for around $20 in parts), a 9 month old battery cooked off (manufacturing defect?) and needed replacement ($120), and I just took it in for an alignment to finish the last of the repercussions of the wheel bearing episode only to find that the 1 wheel that's so far out as to do severe tire wear has a rusted solid toe adjuster (Charged me $39 for a front end alignment only, at least the steering wheel is straight again.  If I fix the rear and bring it back in 30 days the warranty kicks in so I only have to pay for the rear part of the alignment).  So, it's going back up on jack stands this weekend so I can do more suspension work.  At least parts are cheap.  It's been on jackstands at my house all but 2 weeks this year.  In 2013 it was on a lift at a shop for a total of around 7 months for the various problems.  As of now I've decided that this will be my project/fun car.  I will work on it for fun.  I won't count on it for getting to work.  If it doesn't run, I won't care.  Insurance and registration aren't too bad and like I mentioned above parts are (mostly) cheap.  Labor is expensive, so I'll just do everything myself on it now.  :-)

I read and appreciated each word of your DSM woes!  They can be trouble but I think we both agree it's worth it.

I drive a '99 10th Anniversary Edition GS with 168k.  No boost but that's okay for now.  I bought it off an older lady and it's bone stock!  I only drive it about once a month to visit my parents 2 hrs. away.  The rest of the time she sits pretty in the garage (I drool every day I see that hoop spoiler).  I bought it with a blown HG (insert shocked face here) and a need for a timing job.  At the same time, I did absolutely all the routine maintenance (plus some) except the new fuel filter which I'll do when I have time this summer.

And overall, I think DSMs are a fantastic mustachian car.  What other car looks this great for so little money?!  In my opinion none of them but I've been a DSMer since I was 16 so I may be partial..
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 09:44:33 AM by William »

Zee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #147 on: May 14, 2014, 04:35:54 PM »
I drive a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L. Just passed 170k miles on it. Purchased in 2001 with 60k miles at the time. The past few years it has served primarily as transport to the train so only putting about 3k miles on per year. Aside from some door and roof rust, no real issues. Solid engine.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #148 on: May 15, 2014, 05:01:32 PM »
2000 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4 with just under 232K.
Got it ever so slightly used 14 years ago.  At the time I really needed something bigger but this little SUV has done so much!  I've hauled so much, including goats, bees, chickens, hay and carseats.  Taught my kid to drive in it.  Pulled tractors out of mud.  Rarely needed anything other than routine maintenance.
Sadly I was rear ended yesterday and I think it's totaled.  ARGGH!  I'm gonna miss this truck.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: May 15, 2014, 05:04:35 PM »
And overall, I think DSMs are a fantastic mustachian car.  What other car looks this great for so little money?!  In my opinion none of them but I've been a DSMer since I was 16 so I may be partial..

...and go so fast for so little money.  :-)  Grab an old 1g for $2000, drop $2000 in parts on it and you're in the 12's.  :-)  Add a couple thousand more to the base price if you like the 2g body style.