Author Topic: Brag on your MMM high-mileage or old car  (Read 403985 times)

parkerk

• Bristles
Re: Brag on your MMM high-mileage or old car
« Reply #800 on: November 18, 2019, 11:09:43 AM »
Hit 333,333.3 km on my Honda this weekend!  What can I say, I like seeing all those numbers line up.  :)

orcateeth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #801 on: November 23, 2019, 01:37:57 PM »
I'm still rocking a 2000 Toyota Avalon, with 211k miles.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Goldendog777

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #802 on: November 23, 2019, 06:57:45 PM »
DH drives a 1998 Ford Ranger with 140k miles.  Very few repairs made in the last 21 years.  It’s still going strong.  Purchased for $12k new.  Definitely gotten our money’s worth out of it!

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #803 on: November 23, 2019, 07:36:09 PM »
My husband is driving his 2004 Prius with >200k miles on it. Not going to win any prizes in THIS forum (did I read 475k miles? holy pickles!) but we've been pleasantly surprised that it's still going strong. We haven't had to change any of the hybrid battery cells like many people warned us about.

The interior and exterior are pretty trashed, though- he treats it like a pickup truck since we both drive Priuses (and his is the beater upper of the two). We've moved twice only using that Prius and all kinds of furniture have gone on top of the car and inside it, bruising it up some. He's brought bins of chicken feed and compost filling up the entirety of the space behind the front seats multiple times, and left the windows open in the rain a few times. It's pretty wrecked but still drives strong, so we will keep it until the bitter end- however far away that is!

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #804 on: December 05, 2019, 10:08:33 AM »
DH drives a 1998 Ford Ranger with 140k miles.  Very few repairs made in the last 21 years.  It’s still going strong.  Purchased for $12k new.  Definitely gotten our money’s worth out of it!

Nice ! I'm still driving my 07 ranger with 140k on it. It's something i hope to have for a very long time.

Only question i have for you guy/gals that driver older vehicles - like Mr Cadman with 88 olds - do you consider safety of the vehicle ?

My wife was driving a 88 corolla wagon. No air bags and overall tin can feel of that car and the thought of some 6k lb truck/suv getting into accident with her scared us into her getting a much newer safer vehicle - air bags and better overall srs.

My ranger sometimes feels like i'm in a death trap - lower frontal impact area and overall i think they would fair rather poorly in an accident (especially the overlap test).

What do you all think about this ? Not trying to sell you on a newer vehicle but you have to admit they are safer !

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #805 on: December 18, 2019, 04:57:02 PM »
In the '88 Olds, I've never felt unsafe. True, it lacks airbags, but it does have 3-point belts, door guard beams, crumple zones, disc brakes and amazing visibility. And in today's traffic it's certainly a small car. But safety is a sliding scale. During the summer I sometimes commute in a car that predates seat belts, has 4 wheel drum brakes and there's a giant metal spike ready to pierce my chest.

That said, there are a lot of dicey 80's vehicles, especially foreign, that I remember well and would NOT want to drive on a daily basis. Most rusted away years ago around here, but somebody pulled out a mint '86 Subaru GL wagon a couple years ago and was driving it daily where I work. It had that tin-can vibe with lots of hard, black plastic interior parts, hollow sounding doors and rock hard seats. By year 3 there wasn't a lot left.

Maverick1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #806 on: December 23, 2019, 10:41:48 AM »
I drive a 2013 VW Golf with 88,000 km.  When we purchased this vehicle we planned to own it for 10 years then reassess.  But then something happened last month....I accepted a position at a group of car dealerships.  I will soon be getting rid of the VW hatchback for an SUV from my new employer.

On the one hand the position comes with a $50,000 increase in base salary which will allow me to retire earlier.  On the other hand everything else about working for dealerships is anti-mustachian.  Do I deserve a face punch, or do my retirement goals trump anti car culture concerns?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #807 on: December 23, 2019, 12:02:17 PM »
You are responsible for your choices, and their consequences, regardless of your employer or the culture there. Out of curiosity, why does the job change require you to change not only your brand of vehicle, but also supersize it?

Maverick1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #808 on: December 23, 2019, 01:45:07 PM »
You are responsible for your choices, and their consequences, regardless of your employer or the culture there. Out of curiosity, why does the job change require you to change not only your brand of vehicle, but also supersize it?

There's no official requirement to upgrade my vehicle, it's a personal commitment I made when evaluating the offer.  For the money they are offering me and the position I'm coming in at, it wouldn't feel right to drive a vehicle from a competitor.  A larger vehicle is a necessity because they don't carry any hatchbacks, and only a few cars.  My question was kind of tongue in cheek.  Accepting the job was the best decision for my family and I, it just comes with some unmustachian elements :)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #809 on: December 23, 2019, 03:56:15 PM »

There's no official requirement to upgrade my vehicle, it's a personal commitment I made when evaluating the offer.  For the money they are offering me and the position I'm coming in at, it wouldn't feel right to drive a vehicle from a competitor.  A larger vehicle is a necessity because they don't carry any hatchbacks, and only a few cars.  My question was kind of tongue in cheek.  Accepting the job was the best decision for my family and I, it just comes with some unmustachian elements :)
So.....GMC?  :D

If your new employer doesn't manufacture small hatchbacks, are they really competing? (sorry, couldn't resist.  Congrats on the big step up(in job, not vehicle)!)

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #810 on: December 24, 2019, 09:03:11 AM »

So buy a 5 year old whatever from when they DID make whatever it is you need? Congratulations on the new job, but my sympathies on the lifestyle inflation before you've even started!

ColoAndy

• Stubble
« Reply #811 on: December 30, 2019, 12:03:26 PM »
2012 Honda Accord.  99k completely problem free miles.

Sanalways

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #812 on: December 31, 2019, 11:40:56 AM »
2002 Accord.
230K plus miles and running.

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #813 on: December 31, 2019, 11:52:04 AM »
2003 Forrester.....she's going to roll over 260K Km today (~161K miles), she's got a few wrinkles, but she's in better shape than I am.....  :-)

Unlike many on here, I buy my cars new, get exactly what I want, then keep them forever.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #814 on: December 31, 2019, 05:00:36 PM »
I did a service on our 2001 Holden Astra yesterday.  300,000 kms.  It needs a new engine mount and I was quoted $271 by Holden.  Amazon has it for $50. I think I will get the $50 part.

PVD_Kev

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #815 on: January 02, 2020, 07:58:14 AM »
My husband is driving his 2004 Prius with >200k miles on it. Not going to win any prizes in THIS forum (did I read 475k miles? holy pickles!) but we've been pleasantly surprised that it's still going strong. We haven't had to change any of the hybrid battery cells like many people warned us about.

The interior and exterior are pretty trashed, though- he treats it like a pickup truck since we both drive Priuses (and his is the beater upper of the two). We've moved twice only using that Prius and all kinds of furniture have gone on top of the car and inside it, bruising it up some. He's brought bins of chicken feed and compost filling up the entirety of the space behind the front seats multiple times, and left the windows open in the rain a few times. It's pretty wrecked but still drives strong, so we will keep it until the bitter end- however far away that is!

Mad respect for having a Prius full of compost!  Warms my tree-hugging heart!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #816 on: January 02, 2020, 10:03:14 AM »
Just passed 200k in our 2001 Volvo V70.  Runs great, just finally needs some suspension love after driving down our long shitty driveway before and after every drive.

BobTheBuilder

• Stubble
« Reply #817 on: January 05, 2020, 05:12:50 AM »
My 2008 Hyundai i30 is now at 185000km (116k Miles). It is starting to show its age, acoustics are getting worse.
But: Insurance is down to 240€ per year now because I have a flawless driving record since 2004 and I reduced the coverage to liability only, since the car has a book value of about 1.5k € now. If I hit a deer, I'll get the next car.

In March, I hope to get it through the mandatory safety check with one repair (steering cuffs), regular maintenance and a new set of summer tyres. If more than these known flaws need repairs, I need to re-evaluate if we are keeping it. Starting tomorrow, we will share this car for getting to work, since DW has a new job and can drop me off at my job on the way.

Over 45 months of ownership and 70000km of driving, that car has cost me 2,100€ in repairs and maintenance. Some of that I did myself (cylinder cover seal, headlamps, tyres). I think that is ok. Let's see how far it can go.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #818 on: January 06, 2020, 02:43:58 PM »
155,000 miles now on our 2012 Prius v (wagon).  It is the workhorse vehicle of our family.  Also have a 2010 Prius liftback with 110,000 miles. 

I'll have to say that both of our Prius vehicles have been the most reliable ones we have ever had. 

SunnyYellow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #819 on: January 14, 2020, 09:43:12 AM »
I am hanging onto my 1999 Toyota Corolla. Husband will sometimes say I should get a new car, but I figure I'll just keep driving this one because it costs next to nothing to run and I don't drive much anyway. Car has only 27,700 miles.

Mechanics at the shop always tell me to give them a call if ever I want to unload it. Something about cars without computers, plus they know it's been pampered with a garage and good care. If I hold onto it a little longer, maybe I can give it to one of my grandsons.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #820 on: January 14, 2020, 10:29:39 AM »
I am hanging onto my 1999 Toyota Corolla. Husband will sometimes say I should get a new car, but I figure I'll just keep driving this one because it costs next to nothing to run and I don't drive much anyway. Car has only 27,700 miles.

Mechanics at the shop always tell me to give them a call if ever I want to unload it. Something about cars without computers, plus they know it's been pampered with a garage and good care. If I hold onto it a little longer, maybe I can give it to one of my grandsons.
Your mechanics are 100% right.  A late 90's Corolla with low miles?  That's a mustachianmobile.  Economical, easy to work on, cheap to acquire, and reliable.

FWIW, your car *does* have a computer, but it's only connected to your engine/transmission.  No connections to your stereo, power windows or locks, headlights, HVAC, steering wheel buttons, or any sort of fancy display where your odometer is.

Bearblastbeats

« Reply #821 on: January 14, 2020, 10:31:55 AM »
2014 VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI. ~135,000 milles. Averaging 40+mpg and just passed another inspection free and clear of any problems.

(The Anti-Mustachian Mobile) 2014 Audi Q7 TDI. ~135,000 Miles. Averaging 30+mpg, also passed another inspection free and clear of any problems.

Love my diesel powered engines!

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #822 on: January 14, 2020, 11:47:22 AM »
1998 Honda Accord with just shy of 300,000 miles on it. Bought it new before I even got pregnant with our son. The bumper sticker layers are an archaeologist's dream.

ColoAndy

• Stubble
« Reply #823 on: January 17, 2020, 11:36:40 AM »
2012 Honda Accord.  Will hit 100k miles tomorrow (as I drive in to work for 8 hours of overtime).  car has been 100% problem free.

Mako52

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #824 on: January 22, 2020, 07:58:31 AM »
At what point do you declare that repairs to a high mileage vehicle are no longer worth it?  When it's 30% of the car's fair market value?  10%?  50%?

Toyota trucks are unquestionably reliable, but I've found the long-term repair/maintenance cost to be around 10 cents per mile. 

We have 206k on our Gen 1 Sequoia. 

Aeowulf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Aeowulf Forums
« Reply #825 on: January 23, 2020, 06:14:51 AM »
1996 Dodge Dakota

Only 134,000 miles on it. Took the 2-year on a road trip to the mailbox just to get it some road time. She loves that thing.

Only drove it 500 miles last year, and about 200 the year before that. A good chunk of that is driving it down the road and back every now and then just to make sure things still work and certain things don't dry-rot, etc.

acepedro45

• Bristles
« Reply #826 on: January 23, 2020, 11:14:22 AM »
At what point do you declare that repairs to a high mileage vehicle are no longer worth it?  When it's 30% of the car's fair market value?  10%?  50%?

Toyota trucks are unquestionably reliable, but I've found the long-term repair/maintenance cost to be around 10 cents per mile. 

So you think you've spent $20.6k on your truck lifetime (or perhaps you haven't owned it the entire time)...that sounds high to me.

Are you paying for the repairs/maintenance or doing them yourself? On my ancient corolla I get about 4c/mile, but that is a mix of hiring out sometimes but often doing it myself. Hopefully the 4c will come down as the shameful era of professional mechanical help recedes further and further into my past.

Mako52

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #827 on: January 23, 2020, 04:17:23 PM »

So you think you've spent $20.6k on your truck lifetime (or perhaps you haven't owned it the entire time)...that sounds high to me.

Are you paying for the repairs/maintenance or doing them yourself? On my ancient corolla I get about 4c/mile, but that is a mix of hiring out sometimes but often doing it myself. Hopefully the 4c will come down as the shameful era of professional mechanical help recedes further and further into my past.

I've logged every single maintenance or repair into Excel - date, mileage, cost.  Tires are $850 a set and last 40k miles. (Sorry, not gonna cheap out on tires.)  Timing belt and water pump are every 90k at $1300.  Just replaced the alternator at $700.  The tailgate actuator is a defective design that breaks about every 50k at $400 a pop.  Oil changes aren't much.  But everything else adds up.  Now I have a rusted area under a rear door that's going to be about $1000 in body work if I decide to fix it. 

acepedro45

• Bristles
« Reply #828 on: January 24, 2020, 09:50:10 AM »

I've logged every single maintenance or repair into Excel - date, mileage, cost.  Tires are $850 a set and last 40k miles. (Sorry, not gonna cheap out on tires.)  Timing belt and water pump are every 90k at $1300.  Just replaced the alternator at $700.  The tailgate actuator is a defective design that breaks about every 50k at $400 a pop.  Oil changes aren't much.  But everything else adds up.  Now I have a rusted area under a rear door that's going to be about $1000 in body work if I decide to fix it. 

Great data collection! You're getting most of it professionally done from those prices. I think DIY saves you roughly 2/3rds of hiring a mechanic, so I think we are actually seeing similar underlying costs.

It's good to see a fellow user of the old-fashioned Excel spreadsheet method of data storage/analysis. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 09:51:47 AM by acepedro45 »

Lucky13

• Stubble
« Reply #829 on: January 24, 2020, 10:46:48 AM »
wow props to anyone driving a vehicle from the 90s, mine is only a decade old so I have a ways to go before I can join this thread but now I have more motivation. :D

SEAK

• Stubble
« Reply #830 on: January 24, 2020, 01:10:24 PM »
I've been driving my 2001 Tacoma for the past 16 years without fail. The frame has finally rusted out enough to make if unsafe to drive. Been pretty bummed all week and can't decide what a proper replacement vehicle would be.

acepedro45

• Bristles
« Reply #831 on: January 24, 2020, 01:47:06 PM »
I've been driving my 2001 Tacoma for the past 16 years without fail. The frame has finally rusted out enough to make if unsafe to drive. Been pretty bummed all week and can't decide what a proper replacement vehicle would be.

2002 Tacoma?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #832 on: January 24, 2020, 03:17:33 PM »
2001 Tacoma from somewhere they don't salt the roads in the winter?

Kem

• Stubble
« Reply #833 on: January 24, 2020, 03:18:54 PM »

No good on this one... but on the next one --- yearly fluid film inside the frame, on the frame & the thinner fluid film inside the body panels

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #834 on: January 24, 2020, 03:42:18 PM »

No good on this one... but on the next one --- yearly fluid film inside the frame, on the frame & the thinner fluid film inside the body panels

You don't have to do it annually inside the frame, as it doesn't get worn/washed off -- definitely annually outside, though.  My GX470 is on its 3rd winter now (2nd with fluid film) and it's holding up great.

dmadill001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #835 on: January 29, 2020, 08:31:58 AM »
2003 Corolla, almost to 250k miles

Bought 3 years ago for $2000 at 195k, valued at ~$1500 now

Only major repair was front end suspension, done myself (parts: $200)

Still gets 30-32mpg combined city and highway.

To those wondering, yes, I drive a lot. Spent 8 months commuting 70 miles one way for an internship (never again). Spent the last 4 years commuting 15 miles one way into the city to get to University. Luckily, my rent is half of what it would be in the city, which more than makes up the cost difference. Also, I consider any more miles I get out of my Corolla to be free. That car has paid for itself already, and I'll drive it until something major fails.

I'd say all in all, it's a combination of good luck, preventative maintenance, and good Japanese engineering.

Here's to 300k!

MrsP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #836 on: January 31, 2020, 12:01:29 PM »
2005 Toyota Camry 230K (Bought for cash 7 years ago when it had 160k).

It is our only car for our family of 5 and this morning when I went to do my budget for next month I realized that I hadn't bought any gas during January!

Great car. Last year I had to take it to the dealership to get the CO2 sensor replaced (that I think the guy doing the inspection broke in the first place but that is another story and I can't prove it). Anyway, I had actually never been to a dealership before. The guy who was my service tech raved about the car, said it was in great shape and should last well over 300k. Then he told me that his Camry is going on 400k. I was pleasantly surprised that workers at a dealership would be so enthusiastic about older cars and keeping them going rather than replacing them.

ApacheStache

• Stubble
« Reply #837 on: January 31, 2020, 11:49:48 PM »
2003 Corolla, almost to 250k miles

Bought 3 years ago for $2000 at 195k, valued at ~$1500 now

Only major repair was front end suspension, done myself (parts: $200)

Still gets 30-32mpg combined city and highway.

To those wondering, yes, I drive a lot. Spent 8 months commuting 70 miles one way for an internship (never again). Spent the last 4 years commuting 15 miles one way into the city to get to University. Luckily, my rent is half of what it would be in the city, which more than makes up the cost difference. Also, I consider any more miles I get out of my Corolla to be free. That car has paid for itself already, and I'll drive it until something major fails.

I'd say all in all, it's a combination of good luck, preventative maintenance, and good Japanese engineering.

Here's to 300k!

I bought a used 2008 Corolla as my first major car purchase after graduating college. I remember making a large downpayment (relative to my salary at the time) and then throwing $800 a month at the loan to get it paid off in a little over a year. Most of this was made possible by still living at home with my parents :)

It was a pretty awesome car and I honestly could see myself enjoying driving an older model Corolla or Camry today. It wasn't exceptionally nimble in the rough Minnesota winters, but at the time, that seemed to be the norm for most sedans. The MPG on the 2003 Corolla is also especially impressive considering gas was still ~$1.50/gal at the time and high gases prices weren't a big concern for years to come.

Unfortunately the engine blew out on me and I ended up trading it in and getting $4,000 for it.

Fishing4FI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #838 on: February 04, 2020, 05:31:41 AM »
Nothing insanely mustachian here but no car payments:

Mine- 1998 Chevy S10 @ 117k mi
DW- 2013 Hyundai Elantra @ 108k mi

I really think the Elantra will wet the bed before my truck does.  The engine has gotten a little noisy despite regular full synthetic oil changes and tune up around 75k.  We'll see what happens but may elect to sell and replace with a Honda/Toyota before it poops out.

Shoutout to this forum:  When I found this forum I had a 2011 Silverado w/ a $26k loan.  Sold it, erased loan, bought the S10 with cash and I'm truly just as happy if not happier with this truck.  Serves all the same purposes as the Silverado.  Smile everytime I see it and the amount I save monthly no longer having the truck payment.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #839 on: February 07, 2020, 05:18:41 AM »
I had to put the old horse down.... I bought it used and got about 200,000 miles out of it. I put a fair amount of money into to it over the years, but it still eventually fell apart. I didn`t feel like getting anymore work done every 3-6 months to get it moving down the road. I just shopped around and bought an old 2003 Honda Civic that only has 115K miles, very low mpg, and in great shape inside, outside, and under the hood. I got to see the previous owner`s Carfax report and he only averaged 6-7,000 miles a year on it, kept his oil changes regular, and a year ago they got new tires. I am not sure if they put a new timing belt on it. I`m going to get that done very soon. Hopefully, I`ll get at least another 200K out of it with no major problems.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #840 on: February 07, 2020, 07:35:43 AM »
Celebrating 9 year anniversary (cariversary?) with our 2004 Nissan Sentra base model today.

9 Years
~93,000 miles
1 set of tires
15 oil changes
1 set of brake pads
1 belt
1 Crankshaft Sensor
1 Replaced Battery

She's been good to us.

We are getting rid of her to travel around the world for a year, and hope her new owned can get another 50-100k miles.

keyvaluepair

• Stubble
« Reply #841 on: February 07, 2020, 08:22:40 PM »
1995 Honda Civic DX Hatchback - 121K miles, original owner :-). My bike OTOH has plenty of miles.

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #842 on: February 08, 2020, 10:46:27 AM »
Opposite of a high mileage brag here but it seems like an appropriate place to put this:

I qualified for the special low-driver insurance discount as I drove less than 10,000km last year! That's 10% off!

My 2011 subaru has 87,000km on it, we both it in 2015 with 35,000 KM on it. 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #843 on: February 10, 2020, 02:07:39 PM »
2004 Saturn Vue V6. Currently at 149,569 miles.
Have had it since 72k miles. Great suv.
Very nice!  You dodged a bullet with that one.  You probably already know, but the four-cylinder (CVT) version of that car had all kinds of problems.  My parents bought one new (2003) and its transmission started acting up at 50k and was nearly dead by 100k.

Same in our circle. Quoted mileages were about the same too.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #844 on: February 10, 2020, 03:42:03 PM »
2004 Saturn Vue V6. Currently at 149,569 miles.
Have had it since 72k miles. Great suv.
Very nice!  You dodged a bullet with that one.  You probably already know, but the four-cylinder (CVT) version of that car had all kinds of problems.  My parents bought one new (2003) and its transmission started acting up at 50k and was nearly dead by 100k.

Same in our circle. Quoted mileages were about the same too.
Best part is that there was a class-action lawsuit about it but it was right around the time GM "restructured" and it was targeted at "Old GM" so it ended up worthless.

TheFixer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Getting smarter, 1 facepunch at a time
« Reply #845 on: February 11, 2020, 08:54:08 AM »
My collection of junk:
1992 LandCruiser FJ80, 254k miles, bought at 252k for $600. No, I didn't drive all those miles. Too bad for the sucka that paid $40k new for a vehicle that gets 14mpg on a good day. It's our trailer tow-er, junk hauler, canoe carrier to the tune of 1-2K mi/year.

2002 VW Golf TDI, 297K now, bought at 70K in 2006 for 10k cash. Yes, at 270k, it did drop a shaft in the manny tranny and it had to rebuild it into another case scavenged for free off the forum. And then at 290k the replacement turbo barfed up a bearing after only 70k of service, and it had to be rebuilt/combined with the OEM turbo for free. And then it was rear ended in traffic, totaled by insurance. Got a $3100 settlement, bought back for $250, went to JY & got good used color matching hatch & bumper& taillights for $175. Spent a day straightening the opening & hanging parts. Made about $275/hr for 9hrs of work.

'New' car: 2013 VW TDI sportwagen, bought at 136k last august for $5900 (cheap), but immediately spent $1100 for a new flywheel, timing belt & WP, rear springs & shocks,all maintenance fluids & filters. Wife's new commuter car, though it gets only 44MPG vs 48 for the '01. The safety & comfort improvements are worth the mileage hit.

In the springtime, I will sell the 02 TDI for $3,000 and a classic car for $15,000, to free up garage & brain space. Too much rolling stock here now.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #846 on: March 05, 2020, 09:59:45 PM »
Today marks 15 years since I bought our 2005 Honda Pilot and brought her home. It was not at all a mustachian purchase, but damn she’s been a most excellent car. Just over 197K miles and she still has never had a mechanical breakdown. We’ve kept up on the scheduled maintenance and the extent of any repairs includes two power window motors and one “O” ring related to the power steering, all done by my DH.

She is our only car and we plan to keep her until something major happens.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #847 on: March 10, 2020, 12:43:33 PM »
A couple months ago, my daily driver technically became a classic by hitting the 25-year-old mark.  Runs fantastic, although the motor mounts seriously need replacing.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #848 on: March 10, 2020, 08:07:51 PM »
I said goodbye to our 1999 Camry last weekend. It served us very well the last 6 years. I traded it in on a 2020 Toyota Corolla hatchback. The corolla is basically one of the most reliable vehicles ever made, and should last us a very long time.

The Corolla hatchback and 4Runner (which we also have) are one of the very few Toyota models still manufactured in Japan. Working in the quality field and learning a considerable amount about Toyota’s Lean Manufacturing Quality System, which has set the precedent for quality for many other companies, has really sold me. While the plants in Mexico, US, and Canada, still follow the same Lean philosophies, the Japanese culture has a sense of respect and responsibilities embedded deep within many, which I believe the models still manufactured in Japan are a notch above the rest in terms of quality.

SheepDog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #849 on: March 21, 2020, 11:27:23 PM »
We have an 07 Chevy Cobalt with 185k miles.  Runs good, needs some front end work. 
Also have an 04 Ford Ranger.  Truck was free to me, cost about 5k to get running again and in like new condition.  111k miles currently.

Wife's 07 Cobalt with 195k miles died last week.  Timing chain broke and killed the rest of the engine.  Rather than try to find a replacement engine, we bought a 09 Ford Fusion from wife's sister for $2500.  It has 175k miles on it and if we can get it to 200k miles, we will be happy.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!