Author Topic: Brag on your MMM high-mileage or old car  (Read 404128 times)

esmith2039

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Brag on your MMM high-mileage or old car
« Reply #750 on: July 19, 2019, 10:49:36 AM »
Most of our vehicles are high mileage... Our 91 Festiva has over 258k now.. granted I got it with 253k or so three years ago free from dad. He had it from 98 and 81k. Pretty rusty but seeing how long I can get out of it. The junk... the Focus has 140k+ and got for no cost when my sister passed. We've drove it for 8 years and almost 60k but have put $2500 in it that time. The Escape has 160k with no major issues except rust which I'm dealing with that now. I'd like to keep the Focus and Escape till at least 200k /20 years but we'll see.

The only ones that can't be high mileage are is the 05 Class C RV with 65k and the 00 Dakota with 95k. All paid for but don't really need 5 cars for two drivers lol!

The old Festiva is going to the farm with two more, the rust is to the point it'll cost us more to tow it home than it's worth.

Rented a Kia Soul while we're out of town. Man it's hard not to upgrade after driving a new vehicle. Think I've finally talked myself out of it but driving that Soul was like a go cart.. fun!

aetheldrea

• Stubble
« Reply #751 on: July 19, 2019, 06:06:01 PM »
For all of you mega high mileage drivers on this thread...what's your philosophy on spark plug replacement?

I have two 14ish-year-old Toyotas with ~170k on the clock on their original spark plugs still running fine. They come with iridium spark plugs and the manual recommends replacement at 120k. I've been toying with the idea of replacing and wanted to hear some informed opinions. Any good resources for learning if a spark plug is worn out? I expect many may argue "just do what the manual says."
One data point here: I had a 1990 Camry that I replaced the spark plugs on in 2003 when it had its one and only tune-up. I drove that car until 2005 when it had 265k miles. I never noticed any difference in the way it ran with the new plugs, engine still ran fine when I sold it.

onward19

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #752 on: July 20, 2019, 07:53:33 PM »
We made a serious mistake several years ago and bought a 3 yr old car with a hefty loan. I hated making those loan payments! When we finally paid it off we sworn never to buy another vehicle with a stupid loan - cash only!
  So that vehicle is 12yrs old now and still running strong at 160,000 miles. We've done the usual maintenance - oil changes, tires, brakes, headlight bulbs, a/c charging, batteries. Last year was the first time we ever had trouble with it - silly car blew an ignition coil while on a trip. So it now has a new coil( or 2?) and spark plugs. I love this car and plan to drive it until there's more kids than back seat can hold. 

Now for the bragging part - bought a beater truck for $2000. It was to get DH back and forth for a commute that required a second vehicle. We expected it to last only a couple years, just long enough for what he needed it for. Well we've had it 7 years now and that truck just refuses to die! The mileage is crazy high, the a/c works when it wants to, the heat died last year, it's a rust bucket and it's 20 years old! We've put as little money as possible into the truck as we keep expecting it to die, just enough to keep it safe and reliable.
 But DH loves having a vehicle where it doesn't matter if some jerk in the parking lot dings it with a shopping cart. We've used this truck to haul so many random things, I honestly don't know how people make it without a truck to cart stuff around! It's hauled a lot of stuff we found for free on Craigslist, and also the used couches, chairs, bookcases, etc that we've bought cheap. If we'd had to pay to rent a truck we wouldn't have snagged a lot of freebies, or snatched up good deals like our $75 couch.
  When it dies we plan to replace it with a truck about the same age, just a better make.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #753 on: July 20, 2019, 09:18:20 PM »
2002 Subaru Outback with 190k miles.  It's probably the last model year that had a cassette player instead of CD.

It's showing its age with a few rust spots and dings and dents (including one caused by a deer running full speed into the front quarter panel--the poor thing was killed instantly) but I figure there's still plenty of life left in it as my first Subaru went 314k miles before giving up the ghost.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #754 on: July 21, 2019, 08:24:49 AM »
For all of you mega high mileage drivers on this thread...what's your philosophy on spark plug replacement?

I have two 14ish-year-old Toyotas with ~170k on the clock on their original spark plugs still running fine. They come with iridium spark plugs and the manual recommends replacement at 120k. I've been toying with the idea of replacing and wanted to hear some informed opinions. Any good resources for learning if a spark plug is worn out? I expect many may argue "just do what the manual says."
It doesn't cost much to replace them, and it's not a bad idea to do so.  A worn spark plug will require a higher voltage from the coil in order to spark, and that creates greater strain on your coil.  At least on my '95 Corolla, an ignition coil is $90,* which is a lot more than a set of iridiumspark plugs.

* In some way, the OEM coil is magically different from all the other coils that are physically compatible.  I went through three other (cheaper <$20) aftermarket "compatible" coils, and the engine ran terribly with all of them.  Once I shelled out for the OEM coil, it ran fine.
Agreed with this 100%.  I replaced the plugs in a Volvo one time with cheapo "equivalent" plugs and it ran like crap.  $49-for-five Volvo plugs went in and the car was much happier.

Just make sure you do them on the right schedule.  Older cars want 30k intervals but plenty of newer ones say 100-120k.

I believe iridium is good up to 100K miles (or maybe a bit more, depending on the vehicle). At 170K they are over due. As an owner of Toyota and Lexus, I recommend to get a Denso or NGK. I have tried other brands, and my cars do not like them. Spark plug is cheap when you consider they last 100K miles or longer. Just be careful when replacing them, they might be a bit seized into the engine since they have been installed for 170K miles.

Same with ignition coil, if need to replace, get the OEM. The cheap crap (plenty on different sites such as Ebay, Amazon) is not going to work.

Another Toyota owner here (95 Tercel, 330k), I also changed the plugs one time to one that was listed as compatible, but it ran like crap, so I went direct to the Toyota dealer and bought the oem denso iridium plugs and it ran fantastic. 

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #755 on: July 21, 2019, 08:10:46 PM »
My 2006 VW Rabbit doesn’t even qualify as old around here, but I’ve had two funny occurrences in the last few months. I was stopped at a light with my window down and a guy in the cross walk starts talking at me. “Hey, what year is that? I had one just like it, it was a great car!”

Separately, my downstairs neighbor was out in our shared driveway one day. Someone walking down the street checked out my car and tried to buy it off him.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #756 on: July 21, 2019, 08:29:28 PM »
My 2006 VW Rabbit doesn’t even qualify as old around here, but I’ve had two funny occurrences in the last few months. I was stopped at a light with my window down and a guy in the cross walk starts talking at me. “Hey, what year is that? I had one just like it, it was a great car!”

Separately, my downstairs neighbor was out in our shared driveway one day. Someone walking down the street checked out my car and tried to buy it off him.
Heh, back in the mid 2000's, when I lived near Houston, I had a '94 Honda Civic with 165k miles and several good-sized dents in it.  I think we owned it for about two years, and during that time we probably had half a dozen people knock on my door and ask to buy it.  It was the oddest thing--there was no "For Sale" sign in the window, or any other indication that we had any intention of selling it.  People would just see it parked there, think "hey, I wonder if they'd be willing to sell it," and come knock on our door.

When we *did* sell it, it was for about the same amount we bought it for.  Man, I miss that car sometimes.  Manual transmission (well, and everything else), great mileage, fun to drive, only cost $2500 to buy...

savedandsaving

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #757 on: July 29, 2019, 09:55:54 PM »
Now for the bragging part - bought a beater truck for $2000. It was to get DH back and forth for a commute that required a second vehicle. We expected it to last only a couple years, just long enough for what he needed it for. Well we've had it 7 years now and that truck just refuses to die! The mileage is crazy high, the a/c works when it wants to, the heat died last year, it's a rust bucket and it's 20 years old! We've put as little money as possible into the truck as we keep expecting it to die, just enough to keep it safe and reliable.
 But DH loves having a vehicle where it doesn't matter if some jerk in the parking lot dings it with a shopping cart. We've used this truck to haul so many random things, I honestly don't know how people make it without a truck to cart stuff around! It's hauled a lot of stuff we found for free on Craigslist, and also the used couches, chairs, bookcases, etc that we've bought cheap. If we'd had to pay to rent a truck we wouldn't have snagged a lot of freebies, or snatched up good deals like our $75 couch.
  When it dies we plan to replace it with a truck about the same age, just a better make.

You're living the dream!! Well done!!

DH and I have never had a truck, but for the next few months while his parents are nomadic and waiting to move into their new construction home, they're probably going to loan us their pickup so they won't have to deal with it! We're deeply excited. I'm already trying to line up the big Craigslist buys and curb alert finds! :)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
Brag on your MMM high-mileage or old car
« Reply #758 on: July 30, 2019, 02:06:18 AM »
Our 2008 Honda Fit (bought new) has a lot of cosmetic damage at this point but it’s still going strong. I think we’re almost at 95,000 miles? Just topped off the Freon and replaced a broken tail-light cover. I accidentally gave birth to our third kid in this car so it has bonus sentimental value.

We recently added a new-to-us 2009 Honda Odyssey minivan with 160,000 miles. It was owned by a smoker which you can smell on hot days if it’s been sitting in the sun but we’ve been airing it out. It’s a top-of-the-line 2009 driving experience with a six CD changer and DVD player!

We loved the Fit and it fit our family of 5 just fine but we recently added a fourth kid (born in hospital Whoo!) and it seemed like having seats in a car for all the kids was the responsible thing to do, if only so we could all bug out together after an earthquake.

FWIW, our solar-powered velomobile cost a lot more than our new used minivan which amuses us to no end.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 02:14:41 AM by jengod »

SpaceCow

• Stubble
« Reply #759 on: August 11, 2019, 10:42:17 PM »
My 1999 Ford Crown Victoria made me nearly $1000 in mileage reimbursement for my job last month... spent about 300 on gas though. The good thing about driving an old car for work is that at this point it is pretty much done depreciating. Aside from the cost of consumables like tires and oil, the car's value will stay about the same as long as it still runs and drives. It's at 170K right now. My goal is at least 200K, but I will drive it until it dies.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #760 on: August 12, 2019, 04:20:48 AM »
My 1999 Ford Crown Victoria made me nearly $1000 in mileage reimbursement for my job last month... spent about 300 on gas though. The good thing about driving an old car for work is that at this point it is pretty much done depreciating. Aside from the cost of consumables like tires and oil, the car's value will stay about the same as long as it still runs and drives. It's at 170K right now. My goal is at least 200K, but I will drive it until it dies.

<3 Crown Vics

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #761 on: August 12, 2019, 08:11:47 AM »
Just cracked 150k in our 2005 Kia.  Still going strong.

191k on our 2001 Volvo and I'm convinced it will outlive us all. Timing belt due at 215k.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #762 on: August 12, 2019, 08:49:17 AM »
We've hit 180k on our 2006 Honda Odyssey.  This year, however, has been expensive on it--the starter, alternator, battery, and serpentine belt tensioner have all needed replacement.  I have to tell myself that these are not wholly unexpected things on a car of this age, but it still hurts.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #763 on: August 12, 2019, 09:54:03 AM »
Turned 211k on my GX470 over the weekend.  I need to change the timing belt and then I should be good til 300k!

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #764 on: August 16, 2019, 11:23:16 AM »
Engine block cracked at 114000 miles in wife's 2006 Honda Civic LX, one and only owner = us.
Time to get a new car.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #765 on: August 16, 2019, 09:12:30 PM »
Engine block cracked at 114000 miles in wife's 2006 Honda Civic LX, one and only owner = us.
Time to get a new car.
Ouch.  How did you manage to do that on a car that's renowned for its reliability?

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #766 on: August 16, 2019, 09:59:36 PM »
Not high by forum standards, but our 09 Fit passed the 10 year mark and we forgot to make it a cake. Under 80 on the clock on it, but plenty of door dings and similar from inconsiderate gits.

FWIW, our solar-powered velomobile cost a lot more than our new used minivan which amuses us to no end.

I've been eyeing some of the different pedelec/velomobile/etc type vehicles for when it gets cold here. The cold wind gives me chapped eyelids and that SUCKS. Want to do a review of your new (bike) ride and post it in ask-a-mustachian?

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #767 on: August 16, 2019, 10:11:14 PM »
Not high by forum standards, but our 09 Fit passed the 10 year mark and we forgot to make it a cake. Under 80 on the clock on it, but plenty of door dings and similar from inconsiderate gits.

I've been eyeing some of the different pedelec/velomobile/etc type vehicles for when it gets cold here. The cold wind gives me chapped eyelids and that SUCKS. Want to do a review of your new (bike) ride and post it in ask-a-mustachian?

I would except the company that made ours just went bankrupt. I think we got the last one or something? We are in SoCal so the wind is just free AC for us.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #768 on: August 16, 2019, 11:53:35 PM »
Time to get a new car.
Ouch.  How did you manage to do that on a car that's renowned for its reliability?

That era had a known issue with the engine block.

https://www.8thcivic.com/threads/documenting-cracked-engine-block-for-those-out-of-the-warranty-coverage.609546/

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #769 on: August 17, 2019, 06:18:13 AM »
Time to get a new car.

That era had a known issue with the engine block.

https://www.8thcivic.com/threads/documenting-cracked-engine-block-for-those-out-of-the-warranty-coverage.609546/
My coworker had his well-maintained 2007 Scion's engine crap out in rural Tennessee hundreds of miles from home earlier this year at only ~140k miles.  Shit happens, even to statistically reliable cars.

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #770 on: August 17, 2019, 10:03:13 AM »
Two high mileage cars:

2007 Jeep Liberty 172,000
2008 BMW 174,000

Both drive great.  I've done most of the maintenance myself replacing things like brakes, alternator, belts, fluids, filters, shocks.  Only thing I didn't do was change the AC compressor on the Jeep.

Hoping that both will last 3 more years till FI.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #771 on: August 17, 2019, 01:59:44 PM »
Took a few days to go away on vacation for the first time in a long time.  We took our 09 Fusion without any concern.  Since crap can happen, I threw one of my extra wheels with a full size tire in the trunk, just in case (so 2 spares).  1200 miles and everything went without issue.  The car still looks nearly new.

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #772 on: August 17, 2019, 04:46:51 PM »
I would except the company that made ours just went bankrupt. I think we got the last one or something? We are in SoCal so the wind is just free AC for us.

Yeah, below 50 the wind isn't my friend anymore.

Just bankrupt, that means an organic transit elf?

Brianmcg321

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #773 on: August 18, 2019, 11:57:35 AM »
1992 Honda Accord EX. 265,000 miles. This was my wife's first car she bought when she graduated from nursing school.
2001 Ford F-150 regular cab. 175,000 miles. I purchased this 4 years ago for $5,000. Only one previous owner and I believe he only drove it once a week to church.
2007 Acura MDX. 135,000 miles. We bought this 3 years ago. This was an upgrade from a 2000 Tahoe that had 250,000 miles on it and the trans dropped.

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
« Reply #774 on: August 19, 2019, 06:16:34 AM »
Toyota 4Runner, 250,000 miles. Still going strong. Just spent the weekend rebuilding the front end. Here's to another 250K!

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #775 on: August 20, 2019, 04:06:09 PM »
Toyota 4Runner, 250,000 miles. Still going strong. Just spent the weekend rebuilding the front end. Here's to another 250K!

This is awesome.  Love it when people fix their own vehicles.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #776 on: August 21, 2019, 03:46:00 PM »
Our old Astra started to misfire this week.  It is up to 295,000 kms.  I replaced the plugs, but that didn't solve it, so I then replaced the coil pack.  It runs like a dream now.  Around $300 for all the parts, including a couple of special tools needed to remove the special bolts.  I can now do all the maintenance on this car.

Chickadee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #777 on: August 29, 2019, 03:20:30 PM »
 A curiosity question, how many of your vehicles trip just a teeny bit of oil?

My Truck at 150,000 Is just leaving the tiniest blop of oil For the last month or so which does not occur every time, it occurs after a long hot ride.

I don’t have the skill to investigate it but was putting off seeing a mechanic for two weeks.

I live in a small town and they’re fairly busy right now with families starting the school year. I stopped by and he asked me if it’s not emergency if I could come by another morning. I figured I can give them two weeks. :)

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #778 on: August 31, 2019, 03:25:10 PM »

My Truck at 150,000 Is just leaving the tiniest blop of oil For the last month or so which does not occur every time, it occurs after a long hot ride.

I don’t have the skill to investigate it but was putting off seeing a mechanic for two weeks.

I live in a small town and they’re fairly busy right now with families starting the school year. I stopped by and he asked me if it’s not emergency if I could come by another morning. I figured I can give them two weeks. :)

My 175,000 Mile BMW drips a bit of oil each night.  Usually requires a quart of oil after about three months.  The fix is complicated and expensive - so i'm going to let it drip. 

My goal is 200K miles. Anything above that is icing on the cake.

Chickadee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #779 on: August 31, 2019, 04:37:49 PM »

My 175,000 Mile BMW drips a bit of oil each night.  Usually requires a quart of oil after about three months.  The fix is complicated and expensive - so i'm going to let it drip. 

My goal is 200K miles. Anything above that is icing on the cake.

Yeah I figured stuff gets loose and wriggly and it happens. I will def not be fixing if over 400 and IF not affecting car running - because its only worth about 2000$us max

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #780 on: August 31, 2019, 06:29:07 PM »

I dunno about dripping, but my '95 Corolla (which just passed 230k miles this week) used to "lose" about a quart every six months (burned?  dripped along the road while running?  Who knows?).  While diagnosing some ignition issues, I noticed that there was some oil residue near the distributor, and replacing the o-ring there has significantly reduced the oil burn. 

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #781 on: September 03, 2019, 07:53:38 AM »
my '03 element is creeping up to the 200k mark ever so slowly. I just hit 193k, and had a new timing belt installed and a transmission service. Should be good for a while now! I am amazed at (generally) how little owning this vehicle has cost me. Aside from a suspension replacement, nothing out of the ordinary seems to ever go wrong. I love how reliable Honda cars are, and probably won't ever own another make. Also given that I drive about 5k miles a year I look forward to owning this car for many more years.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #782 on: September 04, 2019, 06:04:04 AM »
Not sure if I can call it overly old, but the other week I picked up a 2002 Holden Barina with 111,000km for $3000.

It's got plenty of space for the driver for a small hatchback, and the 1.4L engine has plenty of go.

Let's see how long it lasts :)

I've got a photo of the odo at 111111 as well :)

Still running well at 146000km (91000 miles). The first service was expensive (timing belt), and I had to replace the pedal box a couple of years ago as something bent when I pressed the clutch, but aside from that it’s been fine.

Should be good for a while yet, but I wonder if I should sell it in a year or two while it’s still got some value left in it and buy something a few years newer. Waiting for the third gen Prius to get cheap enough, but I may not drive enough to justify it :)

Currently at 159000km. I spent about $1500 back in May to replace the clutch.

There's a bit of an issue where the heater doesn't work all that well and I think it's losing a bit of coolant. I'm hoping it's not a leaky head gasket, but the temp gauge is fine so probably not. My guess is that the radiator has sprung a leak.

The plan is to replace it in 6-12 months (after I move), probably with a second gen Prius (the city fuel economy is appealing). I'm getting over driving a manual transmission in traffic. It'll be due for a timing belt at 180000km, and I plan on being rid of it well before then.

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #783 on: September 04, 2019, 07:05:02 AM »
2002 Subaru Outback with 190k miles.  It's probably the last model year that had a cassette player instead of CD.

well, I guess 2003 Forester is just fancy then, it has a 6 pack cd player and a cassette player!  :-) 
She's going strong at 255,000 KM (158,000 miles), boxer engines will go forever.  She's got a little knocking, and the AC stops working at very long traffic lights or stop and go traffic (which is a regular occurrence on the 401 in Toronto), but it's apparently not bothering me enough to go for a costly repair, mechanic didn't find anything at first glance, and now that it's September, I'll make it a problem for next year.   At about the 10 year mark, she needed the O2 sensor replaced, and the driver's window switch stopped working (in the up position thank goodness).   Other than than the AC being a little sporadic, it's been just regular maintenance.
I haven't decided if I'll drive her until the wheels fall off or replace her in a year or so.   And I'll probably replace her with a Subaru Crosstrek as I think the Forester has gotten a bit bloated.   I buy new, yeah, I know, depreciation, but I've only owned 2 cars in the last 30 years, it's not like a trade up every 2-3 years, I'm willing to take that hit to get what I want.

I laugh at the car commercials that come right out and say you're judged by the car you drive.....you know the saying: "those that care don't matter, those than matter don't care"......my elderly mother was concerned because I was driving such an old car, but once I convinced her it was because I chose to and it's the easiest car for her to get in and out of, she was okay with it.  I'm okay with others thinking I'm broke, don't like Mom worrying.

aetheldrea

• Stubble
« Reply #784 on: September 04, 2019, 06:43:14 PM »
Was hanging out after a gig this past weekend and my '05 Civic Hybrid with 205k miles was the junior member. Drummer's 2000 Toyota pickup had 250k and guitar player's '02 Subaru had 220k

PlanetDee

• Stubble
« Reply #785 on: September 05, 2019, 07:35:23 PM »
I have a 2000 Ford Focus Station Wagon with about 194,000 miles. Her name is Ronda and she has been quite the trusty vehicle! It was my parent's car and they gave it to me when I was done with school and they were ready for something new. I learned to drive in it, took my driver's test in it, and have really never driven anything else. She constantly requires oil top offs and has had some major repairs over the years, but I'm not ready to give her up!

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #786 on: September 11, 2019, 07:38:37 AM »
Well....the new looking 09 Fusion is totaled.  My younger son had been driving it to community college, misjudged distance and side swiped a landscaping truck.  Damage is nearly all cosmetic.  Mirror broken off, outside door handle broken so it doesn't operate, dents on fender, both doors and behind the rear door.  Doors all still operate.  Window still operates.  Adjuster called this morning to just give me that heads up.  I'll look at the numbers and ask about owner buy back to retain the car.  I already had priced a mirror at the junkyard I go to and that's $25.  So if the buy back is cheap enough, I know I can very cheaply keep it going for a long time.  81k miles on the clock.  It'll need tires by the winter but (flash!) I, of course, have a set of wheels with snows in my shed, so it won't need a set of tires.  I've done some paintless dent removal techniques following Youtube videos when someone drove into the side of another of my cars 2 summers ago just to make it look "less bad".  I'm sorta hoping the buyback option works so I can do some of that and make it as good looking as possible.  We'll see.  Our family has 4 other cars (4 drivers total) so we won't be put out if this car goes away.  It's just such a nice car and runs perfectly but has no real monetary value.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #787 on: September 11, 2019, 11:03:59 AM »
... It's just such a nice car and runs perfectly but has no real monetary value.
Congratulations, you've reached automotive nirvana.  Little concern about it being stolen or (cosmetically futher) damaged, will continue to be reliable, and a continual reminder to drive carefully :) 

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #788 on: September 11, 2019, 01:59:05 PM »
Well....the new looking 09 Fusion is totaled.  My younger son had been driving it to community college, misjudged distance and side swiped a landscaping truck.  Damage is nearly all cosmetic.  Mirror broken off, outside door handle broken so it doesn't operate, dents on fender, both doors and behind the rear door.  Doors all still operate.  Window still operates.  Adjuster called this morning to just give me that heads up.  I'll look at the numbers and ask about owner buy back to retain the car.  I already had priced a mirror at the junkyard I go to and that's $25.  So if the buy back is cheap enough, I know I can very cheaply keep it going for a long time.  81k miles on the clock.  It'll need tires by the winter but (flash!) I, of course, have a set of wheels with snows in my shed, so it won't need a set of tires.  I've done some paintless dent removal techniques following Youtube videos when someone drove into the side of another of my cars 2 summers ago just to make it look "less bad".  I'm sorta hoping the buyback option works so I can do some of that and make it as good looking as possible.  We'll see.  Our family has 4 other cars (4 drivers total) so we won't be put out if this car goes away.  It's just such a nice car and runs perfectly but has no real monetary value.

Make sure you can still register it if you buy it back from the insurance company. If you get it back with a salvage title you may need to apply for and go through an inspection to get a rebuilt title, which may require full repair of body damage.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #789 on: September 12, 2019, 06:42:21 AM »

Make sure you can still register it if you buy it back from the insurance company. If you get it back with a salvage title you may need to apply for and go through an inspection to get a rebuilt title, which may require full repair of body damage.

Yes, thanks for the reminder.  Mass has something called "owner retained salvage" which allows me to keep and drive the car.  I don't know what happens if I sell it, though.  I'm very aware of the salvage title process as I had to go through it with a kit car 20 years ago.  They use the same places and the same pissed off State Police officers who screwed up on the job so are assigned to these as punishment.  Not interested in doing that!  Anxiously awaiting the numbers.  If they're high enough...the car might just become gone.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #790 on: September 13, 2019, 06:48:10 AM »
Got the numbers from the ins company last night, discussed with the wife and will buy back at 1/10 the retail value.  I lose the sales tax that the ins co would have paid.  Just got off the phone with them.  Because the car is over 10 years old, I do not have to re-title as owner retained (or go through the hassle of dealing with the RMV or paying $75).  Heading to the junk yard tomorrow to get a mirror or if they have a full door in my color, perhaps that.  I got the door handle working last night and pried the fender up half a mm, which was enough to get rid of the rubbing.  The car still drives like new.  So the best part is that the amount they're sending me, even after buying back is about double what I would have sold the car for!  On the down side, I am sure my rates are going up next year.  I'll drop collision today, which saves $500 a year.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #791 on: September 13, 2019, 04:21:05 PM »
Not sure this is braggable.  My 2006 Matrix is at 144k miles, and it died on me this week (would not start after dropping kids at school).  My neighbor gave me a jump, Toyota dealer replaced the battery.  (Officemate asked, "you didn't go to CarMax and buy your own?"  Dude, my husband has been traveling for 3 weeks and I've been running solo...um, no.)

But today it died again, it was the starter, not the battery.  Anyway, my oldest sister cannot believe I have a 13yo car, and now it's time to get a new one!  But ya know, it's a Toyota!  A starter and a battery is so much cheaper than that shiny new minivan I've been eyeing.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #792 on: September 14, 2019, 08:29:24 AM »
Not sure this is braggable.  My 2006 Matrix is at 144k miles, and it died on me this week (would not start after dropping kids at school).  My neighbor gave me a jump, Toyota dealer replaced the battery.  (Officemate asked, "you didn't go to CarMax and buy your own?"  Dude, my husband has been traveling for 3 weeks and I've been running solo...um, no.)

But today it died again, it was the starter, not the battery.  Anyway, my oldest sister cannot believe I have a 13yo car, and now it's time to get a new one!  But ya know, it's a Toyota!  A starter and a battery is so much cheaper than that shiny new minivan I've been eyeing.

Starters are cheap! :) I had to replace one in my Tacoma too.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #793 on: September 14, 2019, 12:10:14 PM »
End of the road today for our 2005 Kia.  Water pump belt broke on the highway; girlfriend was driving and she didn't notice the temp gauge rising.  A few miles later she had smoke coming out of her tailpipe and she pulled over.  Blown head gasket, cracked radiator.  Was quoted by where it was towed $2000-3000 to repair "if the engine is savable" and I'm sure it's not.  Car is dead.  152,000 miles.  I just replaced that stupid belt a few months ago and had a shop adjust the tension even more recently.  Oh well.

Huskerfan

• Stubble
« Reply #794 on: September 21, 2019, 06:50:06 PM »
 In the military, I constantly see bad decisions about car buying. Even while in the Natty Guard.
My main car for driving/commuting is a 2001 Honda Insight. I get around 70mpg with it. Great little car. The battery pack is starting to get sluggish, but I’ve got a plan to rig up a different mod soon and add a lithium battery pack which will allow even more assist and greater MPGs.  The car is ugly...but worth it. Especially when I have to travel 3 hours sometimes to go somewhere for a meeting or work.

acepedro45

• Bristles
« Reply #795 on: October 30, 2019, 07:45:36 AM »
End of the road today for our 2005 Kia.  Water pump belt broke on the highway; girlfriend was driving and she didn't notice the temp gauge rising.  A few miles later she had smoke coming out of her tailpipe and she pulled over.  Blown head gasket, cracked radiator.  Was quoted by where it was towed $2000-3000 to repair "if the engine is savable" and I'm sure it's not.  Car is dead.  152,000 miles.  I just replaced that stupid belt a few months ago and had a shop adjust the tension even more recently.  Oh well.

Any insights as to the belt failure? Improper installation, poor quality belt, or just bad luck? I am always interested in the OEM/aftermarket debate on car parts.

Our 2005 Corolla (171,000 miles) rear ended a Jeep last night. The driver blamed a "brake malfunction" that sounded suspiciously like the normal operation of anti-lock brakes on a slick road. Seems to be all cosmetic damage, including a slightly crumpled hood, and no damage to the Jeep, so lucky us. I will check it out thoroughly this weekend.

I am wondering about getting a new junkyard hood. I have always dreamed of having a two-tone car, a car that says I care nothing for aesthetics, only utility. Maybe my chance has come at last.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #796 on: October 30, 2019, 11:25:33 AM »
I am wondering about getting a new junkyard hood. I have always dreamed of having a two-tone car, a car that says I care nothing for aesthetics, only utility. Maybe my chance has come at last.
Our 2006 Honda Odyssey is navy blue, with a silver-ish liftgate (thanks to me being dumb).  It's ever so slightly embarrassing, but! it's really easy to spot in parking lots.  It kinda looks like an Iron Man helmet.

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #797 on: November 13, 2019, 09:29:24 AM »
What's with all the cars from this century? I thought this was an old car brag thread?

Kidding aside, the 1988 Oldsmobile daily driver continues to run flawlessly as we enter winter (knock on wood). Did the front brakes and an oil change last weekend for <$20. Hit the interior with some leather cleaner and will keep driving 'til the wheels fall off....figuratively I hope.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #798 on: November 13, 2019, 02:07:12 PM »

Any insights as to the belt failure? Improper installation, poor quality belt, or just bad luck? I am always interested in the OEM/aftermarket debate on car parts.

Our 2005 Corolla (171,000 miles) rear ended a Jeep last night. The driver blamed a "brake malfunction" that sounded suspiciously like the normal operation of anti-lock brakes on a slick road. Seems to be all cosmetic damage, including a slightly crumpled hood, and no damage to the Jeep, so lucky us. I will check it out thoroughly this weekend.

No idea.  I had replaced the belt a few months prior.  It was squealing at one point after that, so I had a shop adjust the tension while it was in for something else.  Then it was fine until it wasn't.  RIP.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #799 on: November 13, 2019, 02:43:27 PM »
Sold my 43k mi Corvette -- down to a 215k GX470 and a 270k MR2 now :P