Author Topic: Brag on your MMM high-mileage or old car  (Read 403999 times)

NorthernMonkey

• Stubble
Re: Brag on your MMM high-mileage or old car
« Reply #700 on: March 20, 2019, 03:29:49 AM »
It's not really high milage, but a really good price

I paid £500 for my 06 vw polo with 70k miles on it. It needed new disks on the front (£80) but now its good to go.

The previous owner had a front end crash, but had replaced the bumper and wing from another car. This means it has fog lights fitted, but no switch inside for them. Other than that it's a fantastic little car

AO1FireTo

• Stubble
« Reply #701 on: March 20, 2019, 07:21:57 PM »

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #702 on: March 20, 2019, 08:06:40 PM »
Well, I already bragged on my 1997 Toyota T-100 bought in 2000 for $11,000, it now has 108,000 miles on it.
  Hurricane Michael caused a little damage to it, and the insurance company totaled it, the gave me $3,000 for it.
I bought it back for $726. So now I have $8,726 into it.

Did you buy it back from the insurance company?

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #703 on: March 21, 2019, 05:40:21 AM »
this guy is my hero... He gives zero F*cks what people think I bet.

https://www.11alive.com/article/news/nation-world/man-drives-75-pickup-to-work-for-38-years/85-28716583-67c1-446a-ad87-d35be85c868b

Anyone beat this?

Now that's frugal! I have a friend who bought a 1990 Honda Prelude and it's still the only car he's ever had. I'm sure he'll drive it for many more years.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #704 on: March 21, 2019, 01:19:11 PM »
Our 2004 Ford Focus does not get driven much, it is the second car for when our Leaf won't handle the distance.  I bike commute nearly exclusively, so the Focus mostly sits.  Currently it is at about 130k miles.

Over the last few years I've done a bunch of work myself to-date to keep it alive:
1)  Replace vacuum relay that caused a check engine light.
2)  Replaced ignition coils to fix hesitation during acceleration.
3)  Replaced MAF sensor, which didn't due anything for the hesitation.
4)  Replaced all 3 engine mounts (!) to get rid of vibration/humming (one had collapsed, another was pretty well cracked)
5)  Replaced wheel bearing.
6)  Replaced battery terminal that cracked/corroded.

Basically I've kept it running well enough to keep the "when do we get a new car?" talk at bay.  With the bike commuting I have probably bought myself at least 3-4 years on that discussion in total.

2bfree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #705 on: March 21, 2019, 01:25:10 PM »
I have a 2003 Honda Accord with over 160,000 km on it. DH wants me to change it, but I flat out told him no. All it needs is a spray job , and a minor upholstery job on the driver's seat. I plan to get both items taken care of later this year.

esmith2039

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #706 on: April 23, 2019, 11:25:49 AM »
Most of our vehicles are high mileage... Our 91 Festiva has over 258k now.. granted I got it with 253k or so three years ago free from dad. He had it from 98 and 81k. Pretty rusty but seeing how long I can get out of it. The junk... the Focus has 140k+ and got for no cost when my sister passed. We've drove it for 8 years and almost 60k but have put $2500 in it that time. The Escape has 160k with no major issues except rust which I'm dealing with that now. I'd like to keep the Focus and Escape till at least 200k /20 years but we'll see.

The only ones that can't be high mileage are is the 05 Class C RV with 65k and the 00 Dakota with 95k. All paid for but don't really need 5 cars for two drivers lol!

Master of None

• Bristles
« Reply #707 on: April 23, 2019, 11:44:32 AM »
97 Honda CRV that I bought from my parents in 2001. Currently sitting at 248k. I only drive roughly 2k miles a year so I'm hoping that it will last me another 10 years or so. Just now starting to see a few rust spots and I live in the midwest.

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #708 on: April 30, 2019, 03:06:12 PM »
2006 VW Rabbit with 118,000 miles on it. Bought new. I’m starting to think about a new car, but I just passed ten years since I’ve had a car payment. I think I’m going to get a new set of tires instead. Then i’ll have to keep this car for at least 2 more years.

Also, I’m sure this was posted earlier in the thread, but :
https://www.theonion.com/toyota-recalls-1993-camry-due-to-fact-that-owners-reall-1819577805

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #709 on: May 01, 2019, 10:53:59 PM »
this guy is my hero... He gives zero F*cks what people think I bet.

https://www.11alive.com/article/news/nation-world/man-drives-75-pickup-to-work-for-38-years/85-28716583-67c1-446a-ad87-d35be85c868b

Anyone beat this?

Now that's frugal! I have a friend who bought a 1990 Honda Prelude and it's still the only car he's ever had. I'm sure he'll drive it for many more years.

I dunno about frugal. That truck probably get 10-15 miles/gallon on a good day. Honda Prelude, which I think has 4 cylinder, that is frugal.

My 04 Lexus also has tape deck.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 10:56:00 PM by sequoia »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #710 on: May 02, 2019, 10:48:57 AM »
Our '06 Odyssey just cracked 175k miles last week on our vacation.  At this point, it's a race between the mileage and the rust.
I dunno about frugal. That truck probably get 10-15 miles/gallon on a good day. Honda Prelude, which I think has 4 cylinder, that is frugal.

Well, avoiding a  $40,000 truck purchase would pay for at least 10,000 gallons of gas.  Even with bad gas mileage, he's got four decades of that money working for him!

Heh, my car ('95 Corolla) has a tape deck.  Which sadly stopped working last year.

Tracyl-5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #711 on: May 02, 2019, 01:36:37 PM »
Bought my 1995 Toyota Tercel brand new in New Hampshire!  Only the second car I have owned.  Still have it, 160,000 miles later, and having brought it all the way to Hawaii!  Runs great, but the salty air is making it rust badly, and the sun is destroying the plastic parts...  Sadly, it will die here eventually. 

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #712 on: May 03, 2019, 09:23:04 AM »
I have an '08 Outback which has about 192,500 on the odometer. No interest in replacing any time soon (if ever). I thankfully went from a 80+ mile roundtrip commute to a 6 mile roundtrip commute last summer so that should hopefully prolong the life a bit!

DoNorth

• Stubble
« Reply #713 on: May 04, 2019, 09:35:27 AM »
moved overseas a year ago and sold my Buick Enclave and Buick Verano.  Bought a 2009 VW Touran diesel  van; 225K km.  I can drive about 650 miles on a $80 tank of gas (fuel is about twice as much here as it is in the US) but we mostly just use it for road trips around Europe.  I bike to work and the kids go to school within walking distance of our house.  Grocery, restaurants, bars, shops etc. are all within a 15 min walk.

londonbanker

• Bristles
« Reply #714 on: May 05, 2019, 12:22:56 AM »
moved overseas a year ago and sold my Buick Enclave and Buick Verano.  Bought a 2009 VW Touran diesel  van; 225K km.  I can drive about 650 miles on a $80 tank of gas (fuel is about twice as much here as it is in the US) but we mostly just use it for road trips around Europe.  I bike to work and the kids go to school within walking distance of our house.  Grocery, restaurants, bars, shops etc. are all within a 15 min walk.
Good to see that Kind if mileage on a modern VW. Our family car is a 2013 Touareg that we have taken to nearly 60k miles. Following some of the horror stories I’ve read online on higher mileage Touaregs, I was contemplating changing it at some point next year.
I might take my chances and see if we can push to 100k 

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #715 on: May 17, 2019, 08:29:21 AM »
Our '06 Odyssey just cracked 175k miles last week on our vacation.  At this point, it's a race between the mileage and the rust.

Well, avoiding a  $40,000 truck purchase would pay for at least 10,000 gallons of gas.  Even with bad gas mileage, he's got four decades of that money working for him!

Heh, my car ('95 Corolla) has a tape deck.  Which sadly stopped working last year.

LMAO.. why $40K truck..

My point is there are plenty of trucks with 4 cyl, better gas mileage and can carry more than that old truck. Even accounting for gas, you can come up ahead financially, and pollute less than burning 10K gallons of fuel. And also be safer on the road, think anti lock brakes, air bags etc. 

At some point keeping an old car is more expensive than getting a newer car, unless one buying a $40K truck.

I just realize someone mentioned Toyota T-100 ^^. +1, that is a great truck!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 08:33:33 AM by sequoia »

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #716 on: May 17, 2019, 08:42:29 AM »
Hubs was quiet at a work lunch when all his colleagues were moaning about their car repair bills.  6K in two years, 2k here and 2k there.  His immediate supervisor has had three vehicles since he started there in 2010 and the latest new car needed an $800 repair but on warranty.  He just had to bite his lip to stay silent.  He took our pink (faded red) 2004 acura in for an oil change this morning.  That car has needed the odd replacement parts (fogged up tail lights, brakes, tires, timing belt etc) but we couldn't think of a repair since the whole spiders in the air intake thing just after we bought it in 2007.  We gotta hang on to this baby until it is as least 20.  Maybe even until we can go down to one car. 

Mutt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #717 on: May 17, 2019, 01:19:02 PM »
2001 Honda Insight with 200k with a 5 speed manual.  I bought it in barely running condition for $1200, fixed it up myself.  The eco-junker has to be the greatest category of vehicle of all time.  Laughing when it hails, ignoring the minor issues, and being able to scrap the vehicle for more than the purchase price is the ultimate luxury.

This has to be one of the cheapest cars to operate.  It gets 65 mpg even though the hybrid battery is disconnected.  I replaced the 12v battery for $20 (fancy lay-z-boy riding lawn mower sized).  It only needs 2.5 quarts of 0w-20 so a 5 qt jug of the fanciest stuff lasts for 2 years.  With only 3 cylinders think of the spark plug savings over a 4 cyl (it is about $0.75/year)!  Owing to its aluminum body, rust is a non-issue and its scrap value is surprisingly high.

Plus, you cant get road rage if your the slowest car on the road, and not just by choice!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #718 on: May 17, 2019, 03:33:48 PM »
That car has needed the odd replacement parts (fogged up tail lights, brakes, tires, timing belt etc) but we couldn't think of a repair since the whole spiders in the air intake thing just after we bought it in 2007.  We gotta hang on to this baby until it is as least 20.  Maybe even until we can go down to one car.
Other than the tail lights, all those things are maintenance, not repairs!

pab88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #719 on: May 19, 2019, 04:32:22 AM »
After being car-free for 2 years I finally bought a car, a 2004 Toyota Corolla Levin station wagon, 5 speed manual with 150K kms for about $3600 USD equivalent.

I had been borrowing my father's Toyota Landcruiser while he was off travelling the country with my mother. I parked it in front of my garage in my apartment complex but didn't use it much as I'm still biking to work (mine is the only garage on the side of the complex, so I wasn't blocking anyone's access) and I got a fairly angry note left on the windshield about how I couldn't park in the driveway. At the same time, the neighbour below me was regularly parking overnight in the driveway in front of my garage (all residents have the right to use it to drop off groceries or elderly visitors, for example), even though I was pretty sure she was the one who put the note on the Landcruiser. So I thought, f*** it, I'll buy a car, put it in MY garage (its a small garage so the 'cruiser wouldn't fit) then no one can park in the driveway.

Absent-mindedly browsing car sales websites I had my heart set on an NB Miata MX5 (i'm a car guy and have owned an MX5 before), but I happened upon this perfect-spec Corolla and knew it would be a more sensible choice - much easier to throw bikes into but still a little bit sporty.

I had the very satisfying conversation this week with my downstairs neighbour. I told her that I now had a car, and would sometimes be using it instead of my bike for commuting. She semi-apologised for using the driveway and said she totally understood and would keep it clear so I could come and go as I pleased.

I LOVE driving the Corolla. It's like a sports car compared to the Landcruiser and fits like a glove into my garage, protected from the UV and humidity of Sydney. I changed the oil and oil filter yesterday for like $40 in parts, very easy to do. I could have had the free use of the cruiser for the next two months then bought a car but I don't think I would find one in this spec in decent condition.

My plan is to keep bike commuting to work, but now I have the car to visit friends and family at short notice in different parts of my city or do the odd longer road trip, which I feel is worth the roughly US$1500-2000 yearly ownership costs.

WranglerBowman

• Stubble
« Reply #720 on: May 22, 2019, 01:45:08 PM »
Just rolled 250k yesterday on my 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab!  Still driving my 95 Honda Accord Wagon as my commuter but have needed the truck to pick up bigger heavier things that won't fit in my wagon lately.  The wagon is up to 326k right now...

DK82

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #721 on: May 26, 2019, 12:49:39 PM »
Crossed 200k on my '06 4Runner a few weeks back.  Woo hoo!

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #722 on: May 28, 2019, 02:03:15 PM »
I have a 2003 Honda Accord with over 160,000 km on it. DH wants me to change it, but I flat out told him no. All it needs is a spray job , and a minor upholstery job on the driver's seat. I plan to get both items taken care of later this year.
You should just get a seat from a recycler.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 02:06:17 PM by HipGnosis »

Falke401

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #723 on: May 29, 2019, 01:45:11 PM »
We have an 07 Prius.  Rebuilt Title.  251K miles.  Also an 09 Prius with around 240K miles. 

Also 1999 Mustang Cobra with 192K miles.  Not Mustachian, but fun to drive. 

leonblack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #724 on: June 02, 2019, 06:20:18 PM »
2009 Medium Silver Blue Hyundai Sonata GLS
Bought it off of my sister out of college for $3,000.
Had it for 5 years as of September.
Just broke 100k miles.
Commute one way for the past few years has been 3.7 miles.

I'd rather be biking.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #725 on: June 02, 2019, 09:23:20 PM »
You should just get a seat from a recycler.
I'm seriously tempted to buy some seats from a junk yard, and turn them into furniture like Top Gear did.  I mean, I've sat in my car's seat for the last 140k miles, which comes out to something like 5,000 hours.  It's held up great and it's quite comfortable.  I hate it when furniture wears out!

Redstone5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #726 on: June 05, 2019, 02:49:43 PM »
My 1998 Chevy Cavalier had 196,000 km on it when I was forced to retire it for scrap this Spring (after the repair bills were higher than the purchase price of a new car). I cried my eyes out when they towed it away :(

But I love my new (2015) Leaf!

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #727 on: June 06, 2019, 08:22:13 PM »
Thinking y’all might get a chuckle out of this viral craigslist ad
https://www.fastcompany.com/40564686/now-this-is-how-you-sell-a-1999-fuking-toyota-corolla

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #728 on: June 07, 2019, 09:55:57 AM »
I like this one too: http://natewalsh.com/tanry/

Blueridgeboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #729 on: June 07, 2019, 01:13:36 PM »
I had a 07 VW wagon with 165000 miles accumulated, second owner.

It was a sweet ride and great on gas but eventually it became a beater as mechanical failures accumulated with age.

Not a single dollar spent on maintenance the last year of ownership, I prided myself, as it passed its last state inspection.

Used it as a logging truck around my property, pulling large Pines down while chain sawing..  You should have seen my neighbors.

Eventually sold it for $800 with driveshafts so worn it couldn't go over 35 mph. What a great car!

NinjaSalad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #730 on: June 10, 2019, 01:44:07 PM »
I drive a 2005 Toyota Matrix with 243,000 miles on it.
We made the stupid mistake of buying it new (paid it off early), but I would say that after all this time we've definitely got our money out of it and then some.
Knock-on-wood we haven't had to do very many repairs.
For some reason, the hubcaps fall off on a regular basis so I've stopped replacing them.
The car was in FL for 8 years so the salt air and love bugs have done quite a number on the paint job.
The underbody protection shield (not sure what it's really called) is held on by zip ties.
It's not pretty but it gets me where I need to go.
I plan on driving it into the ground.

londonbanker

• Bristles
« Reply #731 on: June 10, 2019, 03:28:51 PM »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #732 on: June 10, 2019, 03:31:01 PM »
Crossed 209k on my '05 GX470 over the weekend...moving into a house with a proper garage tomorrow so I will have a place to catch up on maintenance!  Timing belt, water pump, and brakes all around are just about due.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #733 on: June 10, 2019, 03:35:42 PM »
The underbody protection shield (not sure what it's really called) is held on by zip ties.
It's not pretty but it gets me where I need to go.
I plan on driving it into the ground.
I believe those are called splash guards.  And mine are in similarly bad condition.  In fact, a couple months back, DW and I were driving down to St. Louis when one of the splash guards caught the wind, flipped down, and started making an awful scraping noise on the pavement.  It took me all of 30 seconds to whip out my pocket knife and cut off the offending bit, and we were back on our way.

The funny thing is that the same splash guard did the exact same thing almost exactly 16 years ago, as we were on our honeymoon.  One of these days I really oughtta replace it.

Heywood57

• Stubble
« Reply #734 on: June 10, 2019, 03:44:02 PM »
2004 Toyota Highlander, just went over 300,000

NinjaSalad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #735 on: June 11, 2019, 08:08:12 AM »
I believe those are called splash guards.  And mine are in similarly bad condition.  In fact, a couple months back, DW and I were driving down to St. Louis when one of the splash guards caught the wind, flipped down, and started making an awful scraping noise on the pavement.  It took me all of 30 seconds to whip out my pocket knife and cut off the offending bit, and we were back on our way.

The funny thing is that the same splash guard did the exact same thing almost exactly 16 years ago, as we were on our honeymoon.  One of these days I really oughtta replace it.

That happened to DH and I too while we were on our way to our wedding - we got a lot of stares when we pulled up to the beach crossover in a loud scraping car and got out in wedding clothes!

FIRE-ing in the UK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #736 on: June 13, 2019, 04:56:32 PM »
Driving an 18 year old vw polo with only 61k on the clock. I think the car will rust and fall apart around the engine!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #737 on: June 14, 2019, 06:04:28 AM »
2004 Honda Accord just hit 105,000 miles, requiring new spark plugs. Hope to keep it till 2025 when the timing belt comes due again, then re-evaluate.

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #738 on: June 15, 2019, 11:01:57 AM »
I'm bragging about my oldish car with low kms! 2008 forester with only 60,000 km on it (40Kish miles). I use it for road trips for camping, and about nothing else. Since I bought it in 2011, I've spent $300 on repairs (odomoter at that time was 35,000km so I've driven it 25,000km in 8 years). I usually insure during the summer and then just get day insurance here or there when i'm going to need it the rest of the year.

SpaceCow

• Stubble
« Reply #739 on: June 17, 2019, 12:12:36 AM »
My V8-powered enclosed wheelchair is a 1999 Ford Crown Victoria with 166,000 on the odometer. It was my first car; I got it when I was 19. I'm 25 now. In that time, I've put about 88,000 miles on it. Maintaining and upgrading the car has taught me a lot about automotive repair, problem solving, and mechanical work in general. I've spent a good deal of time working on it (mostly maintenance and upgrades, plus a some minor to moderate repairs). For example, I have done the heater core (twice), intake manifold, complete suspension rebuild, upgraded all of the seats to leather ones from the junkyard, etc.

At this point I am becoming increasingly mustashian and do more cycling. I still do a lot of driving, but now the majority of it is driving for work which is paid for at the IRS rate. I plan on driving the Crown Vic until it dies, then buying a more fuel efficient car. In the meantime, I can live with 21MPG if it means a reliable vehicle I can maintain and service with ease.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 12:18:03 AM by SpaceCow »

Decibel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #740 on: June 23, 2019, 07:13:43 PM »
Bought my 1995 Suzuki Sierra in 1998. We are a one "car" household and it has currently done 450,000km (279620 miles). It still takes me to and form work and around.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 07:18:40 PM by Decibel »

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #741 on: June 24, 2019, 05:51:19 AM »
I'm bragging about my oldish car with low kms! 2008 forester with only 60,000 km on it (40Kish miles). I use it for road trips for camping, and about nothing else. Since I bought it in 2011, I've spent $300 on repairs (odomoter at that time was 35,000km so I've driven it 25,000km in 8 years). I usually insure during the summer and then just get day insurance here or there when i'm going to need it the rest of the year.

That's a great point about the insurance, I've been meaning to check if I can turn it on/off easily (I usually drive once a week). Mustachian problem! Paying for year round insurance when you drive so little.

savedandsaving

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #742 on: June 27, 2019, 03:17:04 PM »
Not sure if this is the place to post for this, but the husband and I just went down to one car recently and are super proud of it 😎 (In Atlanta, mind you, that’s a bit of an achievement.)

Things that make it especially BA in my mind: the one car we have, although it’s not too old and doesn’t have a crazy amount of miles, was brought back to life several years ago after a cracked engine block and messed up something-or-other belt by a backyard mechanic for less than 1k as opposed to the 3k+ other mechanics were quoting us. At first, we were forced down to the 1 car a few months ago when someone rear-ended me going 40+ while I was sitting still and totaled my beloved Prius—I got a nice check for 4K and was about to turn right around and put it in another Prius. But I heard the writing voice of MMM ringing in my head, accepted the job offer I got from my husband’s company shortly thereafter, and declared that we would be a one-car family with an extra 4K to invest! WOO!

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #743 on: June 28, 2019, 06:08:45 AM »
Not sure if this is the place to post for this, but the husband and I just went down to one car .................

It's the place. Good on you.

I was forced to replace a vehicle with 261k miles after it was totaled a 2nd time. However, the family van has 161k miles, and we're hoping to hold out another 5 years for when we can replace it with a car.

familyandfarming

• Stubble
« Reply #744 on: July 07, 2019, 01:31:25 PM »
Sad day today...As mentioned on the top of page 14 of this thread, our farm car is no more. The 1988 Olds Cutlass Cierra has a problem that won't be fixed. After 252,000 miles, the water pump gave out and our mechanic recommended euthanasia. So when it's colder, we will take it to the scrap yard. It has been replaced with an 2001 Olds Intrigue that has 215,000 miles. (It was our teenager car.) AND it has air conditioning! What a great NEWER farm car!

acepedro45

• Bristles
« Reply #745 on: July 08, 2019, 07:45:40 AM »
For all of you mega high mileage drivers on this thread...what's your philosophy on spark plug replacement?

I have two 14ish-year-old Toyotas with ~170k on the clock on their original spark plugs still running fine. They come with iridium spark plugs and the manual recommends replacement at 120k. I've been toying with the idea of replacing and wanted to hear some informed opinions. Any good resources for learning if a spark plug is worn out? I expect many may argue "just do what the manual says."

randomletters

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #746 on: July 08, 2019, 08:05:25 AM »
Still driving my 2003 Mustang Cobra that's been paid off for many years. It's not always practical, is starting to become more annoying to get in and out of each year that I get older, and gulps (premium) fuel, but it still gets me from point A to point B pretty reliably. I think I want to try to squeeze four more years of daily driving out of it before I retire her to occasional weekend cruising duty.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #747 on: July 08, 2019, 10:59:20 AM »
For all of you mega high mileage drivers on this thread...what's your philosophy on spark plug replacement?

I have two 14ish-year-old Toyotas with ~170k on the clock on their original spark plugs still running fine. They come with iridium spark plugs and the manual recommends replacement at 120k. I've been toying with the idea of replacing and wanted to hear some informed opinions. Any good resources for learning if a spark plug is worn out? I expect many may argue "just do what the manual says."
It doesn't cost much to replace them, and it's not a bad idea to do so.  A worn spark plug will require a higher voltage from the coil in order to spark, and that creates greater strain on your coil.  At least on my '95 Corolla, an ignition coil is $90,* which is a lot more than a set of iridiumspark plugs.

* In some way, the OEM coil is magically different from all the other coils that are physically compatible.  I went through three other (cheaper <$20) aftermarket "compatible" coils, and the engine ran terribly with all of them.  Once I shelled out for the OEM coil, it ran fine.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #748 on: July 08, 2019, 11:05:17 AM »

It doesn't cost much to replace them, and it's not a bad idea to do so.  A worn spark plug will require a higher voltage from the coil in order to spark, and that creates greater strain on your coil.  At least on my '95 Corolla, an ignition coil is $90,* which is a lot more than a set of iridiumspark plugs.

* In some way, the OEM coil is magically different from all the other coils that are physically compatible.  I went through three other (cheaper <$20) aftermarket "compatible" coils, and the engine ran terribly with all of them.  Once I shelled out for the OEM coil, it ran fine.
Agreed with this 100%.  I replaced the plugs in a Volvo one time with cheapo "equivalent" plugs and it ran like crap.  $49-for-five Volvo plugs went in and the car was much happier.

Just make sure you do them on the right schedule.  Older cars want 30k intervals but plenty of newer ones say 100-120k.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #749 on: July 09, 2019, 02:15:10 PM »

Agreed with this 100%.  I replaced the plugs in a Volvo one time with cheapo "equivalent" plugs and it ran like crap.  $49-for-five Volvo plugs went in and the car was much happier.

Just make sure you do them on the right schedule.  Older cars want 30k intervals but plenty of newer ones say 100-120k.

I believe iridium is good up to 100K miles (or maybe a bit more, depending on the vehicle). At 170K they are over due. As an owner of Toyota and Lexus, I recommend to get a Denso or NGK. I have tried other brands, and my cars do not like them. Spark plug is cheap when you consider they last 100K miles or longer. Just be careful when replacing them, they might be a bit seized into the engine since they have been installed for 170K miles.

Same with ignition coil, if need to replace, get the OEM. The cheap crap (plenty on different sites such as Ebay, Amazon) is not going to work.