Author Topic: Brag on your MMM high-mileage or old car  (Read 404005 times)

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
Re: Brag on your MMM high-mileage or old car
« Reply #600 on: October 28, 2017, 12:47:50 AM »
Tirerack is an interesting situation. Once I add shipping and installation to their prices, I find it pretty easy to match or beat their prices locally. I just needed to replace tires on my motorhome, which was a horrifyingly unmustachian adventure. I was looking at $350  a piece (X6) for locally sourced mid-grade tires. I found "simple tire" online. They had the tires shipped to a local truck repair shop, in a few days, with free shipping. They were $202 each. They guaranteed fresh tires, and all six were made in July. It worked out well and saved me about $600 in the end. Tirerack is a great resource, but don't hesitate to ask your local tire dealer to match their prices.

+1. Tirerack is the best site to find information, but not necessarily the best price. 

Great post @paddedhat re tire safety.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #601 on: November 04, 2017, 12:35:12 PM »
This is worth a look. It's an ad a guy made to sell his girlfriend's 1996 Honda Accord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KlNeiY4Rf4

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #602 on: November 08, 2017, 08:45:40 AM »
I have a VW Bora that is coming up on 237,000 miles. Its 15 years old, and I plan to drive it until something major happens. Until then, its on the road and working hard.

My wifes car died recently and we ended up buying a BMW 1 Series, a truly beautiful car, but not exactly frugal. We paid half up front and will be paying off the second half over 3 years. Not too bad, but we intend to keep it for a long time, so hopefully it turns out to be a good purchase.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #603 on: November 08, 2017, 09:54:44 AM »
I have a VW Bora that is coming up on 237,000 miles. Its 15 years old, and I plan to drive it until something major happens. Until then, its on the road and working hard.

My wifes car died recently and we ended up buying a BMW 1 Series, a truly beautiful car, but not exactly frugal. We paid half up front and will be paying off the second half over 3 years. Not too bad, but we intend to keep it for a long time, so hopefully it turns out to be a good purchase.

You bought a new BMW, and financed half of it. It was not a good purchase. It was a very expensive one.

BiochemicalDJ

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
    • My FI Journal
« Reply #604 on: November 09, 2017, 07:41:41 AM »
I'm sad. I'm moving to a new place that doesn't support parking for 2 vehicles, so my littlest car has to go.

I received the first offer on Kijiji this morning: "I'll give you $250 for that trashcan on wheels."

Man, people sure know how to flatter you, huh? Made me unexpectedly sadder this morning.

I'd almost rather give it to someone who would get use out of it rather than sell it to some asshole (especially considering how much time and effort I put into bringing it back up to factory spec).

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #605 on: November 09, 2017, 08:20:03 AM »
I'm sad. I'm moving to a new place that doesn't support parking for 2 vehicles, so my littlest car has to go.

I received the first offer on Kijiji this morning: "I'll give you $250 for that trashcan on wheels."

Man, people sure know how to flatter you, huh? Made me unexpectedly sadder this morning.

I'd almost rather give it to someone who would get use out of it rather than sell it to some asshole (especially considering how much time and effort I put into bringing it back up to factory spec).
Take your oldest trash can you have, weld some wheels onto it, and sell it to that guy for $250.  I hate that crap.  It's unavoidable with Craigslist unfortunately.  They'll send that message to 1000 sellers, and one might say yes.

BiochemicalDJ

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
    • My FI Journal
« Reply #606 on: November 09, 2017, 08:41:03 AM »
Take your oldest trash can you have, weld some wheels onto it, and sell it to that guy for $250.  I hate that crap.  It's unavoidable with Craigslist unfortunately.  They'll send that message to 1000 sellers, and one might say yes.

Honestly man, I really appreciate the support. I know I'd be a terrible content creator, because I let that douche get to me worse than I ever expected- If I had to contend with a 'comments' field I'd be screwed xD

*Sigh* It wouldn't hurt so much if I hadn't put so much into the car, both moneywise and time wise. But I learned a lot. And grew to appreciate just exactly how tinker-toy like the inside of those things are from a repair perspective when you see the inside of a more luxurious engine compartment.

If I get $500 CAD for it, my cost/KM will be $0.53,
If I get $1000 CAD for it, my cost/KM will be  $0.42.

Either way, I get to keep all the tools.

Too soon, cruel world. To soon to take this sweet prince.

I am so awful at buying beaters at riding them into the ground. I have an obsession with trying not to abuse mechanical objects, and that includes maintaining things well beyond a logical limit. It has bitten me very hard today.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 08:42:54 AM by BiochemicalDJ »

ontheheel

• Stubble
« Reply #607 on: November 09, 2017, 10:12:58 AM »
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport
185,000 miles
22 MPG
Dirt cheap and easy to fix when things break (they rarely do)
Purchased in 2014 for $8,000, worth about the same today, primarily because SoCal loves Jeeps

Also

2004 Honda Odyssey
150,000 miles
27 MPG
Leaking like a sieve from every orifice...more work than it's worth, and hoping to sell in the next couple of years.
Purchased this past summer for $4,200

When we move again in about a year and a half, I'm putting my foot down when it comes to commuting. Pulling my bike back out for trips to/from work. The Jeep will become solely a toy for family fun on weekends.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #608 on: November 10, 2017, 02:36:16 PM »

Honestly man, I really appreciate the support. I know I'd be a terrible content creator, because I let that douche get to me worse than I ever expected- If I had to contend with a 'comments' field I'd be screwed xD

*Sigh* It wouldn't hurt so much if I hadn't put so much into the car, both moneywise and time wise. But I learned a lot. And grew to appreciate just exactly how tinker-toy like the inside of those things are from a repair perspective when you see the inside of a more luxurious engine compartment.

If I get $500 CAD for it, my cost/KM will be $0.53,
If I get $1000 CAD for it, my cost/KM will be  $0.42.

Either way, I get to keep all the tools.

Too soon, cruel world. To soon to take this sweet prince.

I am so awful at buying beaters at riding them into the ground. I have an obsession with trying not to abuse mechanical objects, and that includes maintaining things well beyond a logical limit. It has bitten me very hard today.

What car is it? PM me :)

*Edit* never mind, I see your other post saying you got offer/s over asking.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 02:44:10 PM by daverobev »

Captain Mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #609 on: November 13, 2017, 07:32:08 PM »
280K and going strong.

It's a Honda Accord, so basically just keep driving and it fixes itself. Also just lucky. Very little maintenance needed that I couldn't do myself. :)

el_ingeniero

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #610 on: November 17, 2017, 08:24:17 PM »
This is the car not to buy car: in 2014 I overpaid about $1000 for a 1998 Subaru Forester S. It needed a brake job right away, then I had to get the tree sap cleaned off it. I should have sold it when the first major repair happened. Or the second. Or the third. I finally gave up end of 2016 when it needed a head gasket job.

2 reasons not to get a Subaru:
  • boxer engines are notorious for leaky head gaskets
  • without the 6-speed automatic, mileage is crap
But you guys probably knew that anyways.  At least it was 1/2 the cost to insure than the car before.

MatthewK

• Stubble
« Reply #611 on: November 18, 2017, 09:49:50 AM »
2008 Subaru Outback, 162k. bought 2 years ago, previous owner replaced head gasket/timing belt so I didn't have to deal with that. However I have had a lot of other things replaced, wheel bearings, front/rear suspension, ball joints, sway bars, brakes and cat converter. Now looking at tires before the snow starts flying here in Michigan. One could say a lot of this stuff is wear/tear items that would have to be replaced on any auto with this mileage/age right????? Oh, and I paid cash for it so I feel better about that. Next car will be much smaller and efficient though....honda fit, toyota yaris, ford fiesta or focus and manual tranny if I can help it.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #612 on: November 18, 2017, 10:16:46 AM »
This is the car not to buy car: in 2014 I overpaid about $1000 for a 1998 Subaru Forester S. It needed a brake job right away, then I had to get the tree sap cleaned off it. I should have sold it when the first major repair happened. Or the second. Or the third. I finally gave up end of 2016 when it needed a head gasket job.

2 reasons not to get a Subaru:
  • boxer engines are notorious for leaky head gaskets
  • without the 6-speed automatic, mileage is crap
But you guys probably knew that anyways.  At least it was 1/2 the cost to insure than the car before.

I once read a fascinating series of posts (on another forum) from a guy who owned a small, independent Subaru repair shop in Vermont. As many might already know, that part of the states is well stocked with Subarus. He wrote of the curious cult attachment that Subie owners seem to be afflicted with. He had a ton of loyal customers, many who pride themselves in driving their cars until they just can't be fixed anymore. He noted that it's the only brand he has ever worked on, where owners of supposedly durable, economy cars, will unhesitatingly toss large amounts of money at, often repeatedly, to keep the car on the road. He claimed that he has many customers who will have multiple sets of head gaskets, wheel bearings, or other expensive repairs,  by the time the car is finished, and typically have a repair history of spending $4,000+ at his shop.

That's kind of amazing to me. As a loyal Honda owner, I can safely say that decades of owning, maintaining, repairing and putting countless hundreds of thousands of miles on ALL of them, they never required $4,000 in major repairs. Especially since absolutely none of them ever required a major repair at all.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #613 on: November 18, 2017, 10:26:41 AM »
2008 Subaru Outback, 162k. bought 2 years ago, previous owner replaced head gasket/timing belt so I didn't have to deal with that. However I have had a lot of other things replaced, wheel bearings, front/rear suspension, ball joints, sway bars, brakes and cat converter. Now looking at tires before the snow starts flying here in Michigan. One could say a lot of this stuff is wear/tear items that would have to be replaced on any auto with this mileage/age right????? Oh, and I paid cash for it so I feel better about that. Next car will be much smaller and efficient though....honda fit, toyota yaris, ford fiesta or focus and manual tranny if I can help it.

Short answer?  Hell no.  I have driven many vehicles past ten years and 160K miles and never replaced anything you mentioned, with the exception of sway bar bushings, which were a quick, easy $40 DIY job.   When it's time to get rid of that wallet sucker, stick with a Toyota or Honda. As much as MMM, and some of the crowd here, claim that the smaller Fords are worthy, there is a mountain of evidence to the contrary. In the group you are thinking of, it's a Fit or Yaris, end or the story. Everything else will be more expensive to operate, and less reliable.

MatthewK

• Stubble
« Reply #614 on: November 18, 2017, 10:41:06 AM »

Short answer?  Hell no.  I have driven many vehicles past ten years and 160K miles and never replaced anything you mentioned, with the exception of sway bar bushings, which were a quick, easy $40 DIY job.   When it's time to get rid of that wallet sucker, stick with a Toyota or Honda. As much as MMM, and some of the crowd here, claim that the smaller Fords are worthy, there is a mountain of evidence to the contrary. In the group you are thinking of, it's a Fit or Yaris, end or the story. Everything else will be more expensive to operate, and less reliable.

Shit!! Thanks for the face punch, not the answer I was hoping for :-) Yah I'm guilty of the "I've sank this much money into it I can't afford to get rid of it now! I did have a 2002 Honda Accord that I love'd and regret to this day getting rid of it. I did have the water pump/timing belt replaced as recommended on all honda's, but other than that just brake pads and of course oil changes that I do myself all but once a year when I pay to have it done by a mechanic so they can check other things out as a general safety measure.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #615 on: November 18, 2017, 10:52:46 AM »
2004 Nissan Sentra, purchased for $7k with 13,000 miles in 2010. Currently sitting at 59,000 miles. I will drive this car till I get close to FIRE.

It's funny that I thought this was a Mustachian purchase, but 3 years later, we have 88k on the clock and she's going strong. 8 years and the only thing I've done is oil changes, new battery, brake pads, tires. She still has a KBB of $2k.

Caveat - SO drives her now. I replaced my car with an unmustachian 2008 g37s in 2016. 21k miles on the odometer for $16.5k =p

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #616 on: November 18, 2017, 11:46:24 AM »
We are full time travelers. We bought a 2004 one ton Dodge RAM DRW a couple of years ago to be our dedicated hauler/daily driver. We bought it to replace our 1998 Dodge RAM 2500 that I used to haul horses for many years. The older truck got HORRIBLE gas mileage, or we would have kept it for hauling us around. So this "newer" truck is a diesel and is our only vehicle. At the campgrounds, it is definitely one of the "older" tow vehicles which doesn't bother me at all.

DH really, really wants a newer truck. I don't see the need for anything newer. Our Dodge does have a couple of issues that can be annoying but we've already put enough into it that it should be gtg for another 100k miles.

To tempt him further he recently got a small inheritance at which time he was 100% sure he would spend it on a newer tow vehicle. After looking online at pricing he came to his own conclusion that we are better off spending that money on another  rental property.

/whew  - I feel like I dodged a bullet.

FIREySkyline

• Stubble
« Reply #617 on: November 18, 2017, 11:18:00 PM »
1987 Toyota Corolla Hatch

Purchased for $700 w/100k, now has 150k. Did replace the A/C, timing belt, headgasket, front brakes (calipers, rotors, pads) and struts -- but that actually wasn't terribly expensive over the course of 50k and the car just runs. Plan to drive it while it keeps going, but do not intend to do any more major maintenance items.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #618 on: November 19, 2017, 02:26:18 PM »

Purchased for $700 w/100k, now has 150k. Did replace the A/C, timing belt, headgasket, front brakes (calipers, rotors, pads) and struts -- but that actually wasn't terribly expensive over the course of 50k and the car just runs. Plan to drive it while it keeps going, but do not intend to do any more major maintenance items.
I learned to drive on an '87 Corolla.  My parents finally put it out to pasture with 250k miles, not because of any mechanical issues, but because 15 years of Wisconsin winters left it with almost more rust than bodywork.

FIREySkyline

• Stubble
« Reply #619 on: November 19, 2017, 03:03:39 PM »

I learned to drive on an '87 Corolla.  My parents finally put it out to pasture with 250k miles, not because of any mechanical issues, but because 15 years of Wisconsin winters left it with almost more rust than bodywork.
That is the biggest issue with old cars in the midwest and northeast. Somehow this one is still in one piece.

Knapptyme

• Bristles
« Reply #620 on: May 30, 2018, 08:19:47 AM »
1998 Isuzu Rodeo with 203,000 miles

Got it as a wedding gift in 2004 used with 109,000 on the odometer. We've been a one car family for about half that time with that one usually as our one car. It's not great on gas (average ~20 mpg with responsible driving around town), but we've used it to make one west-east cross country move and several north-south trips between Michigan and Florida. It sat unused for a year, but is now my once-a-week work vehicle.

Other brag-worthy notes on it. I was recently rear-ended and earned a bonus of $340 for a cosmetic blemish that makes my ride that much more of an eff you to the status seeking population. When my family came to town for Christmas, my brother thought about renting a car. I told him absolutely not. He ended up using that ol' reliable and loved it. His wife even enjoyed the opportunity to drive a stick shift again.

Yes, I have done some work on it to keep it running, but nothing that a novice like me couldn't figure out. I still look on Craigslist for its replacement from time to time, but this forum thread alone will propel me another couple years. Heck, by then, I might even crack 210,000.

Sold it earlier this month for $1000. It only had 206,400 miles on it.

nkt0

• Bristles
« Reply #621 on: May 30, 2018, 08:57:47 AM »
Not super extreme, but my only car is a 1999 Mazda Miata that i use during the summer when i'm back home. It has 90k miles on it and has never seen winter. However, my Mustachian goal is to never buy another car again. Twenty years later, so far so good!

Astreja

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #622 on: May 30, 2018, 09:15:46 AM »
2003 Toyota Corolla.  Most reliable, least-repaired car I ever owned.  Taking it in tomorrow morning for semi-annual "physical" and oil change.

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #623 on: May 30, 2018, 09:19:05 AM »
VW is now at 241,000

Vintage509

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #624 on: May 30, 2018, 12:24:43 PM »
2005 Chevy Cavalier with 219,000.  My previous '02 cavalier went to 285,000 miles.  You can be these cars below 75,000 miles and pay around $4,000.  Main thing to remember is change your fuel pump around 150,000 miles.  Few other issues with these cars.
I commute, deliver pizza and pull a 5 x 8 trailer with it.  In my opinion these cars are under appreciated.

PrairieBeardstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #625 on: May 30, 2018, 01:03:48 PM »
This thread made me happy. Being the resident car guy among my friends the advice I give all the time when they inevitably ask what they should buy: Unless you care about cars as much as I do buy a cheap Honda or Toyota and be done with cars forever.

My anti-mustachian, yet mustichian car: 2001 Honda S2000. Put 240,000 of the 290,000km it has on it through some pretty aggressive driving (I used to race it). In that time, other than oil changes I replaced: rotos/pads once, rear wheel hub/bearing (common problem), drive belt, spark plugs. That's it. I did the work myself so all of that cost me about $800 or so. I drove it year round for ten years. Pretty fantastic for a performance car.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #626 on: June 16, 2018, 08:45:23 AM »
Husband has a 1992 F150 pickup. Bought it brand spankin new for about $12k. Still going strong.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #627 on: June 22, 2018, 01:10:23 AM »
Recently bought a 2001 Astra for $3000.  It has 250000 kms on the clock.  Should be good for 150000 more.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #628 on: June 22, 2018, 08:15:53 AM »
I had bought my Honda Civic 2001 or 2003 for $3200 with 105k miles. This car was in top shape ... nothing wrong with it. AC didn't work though and I never got to make it work because never felt the need...

I sold it 3 years later for $4500 and with 145k miles ... only used oil and a new CV Joint. I miss that car... too bad it wasn't a manual transmission or I probably would have kept it

Mon€yp€nny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #629 on: June 23, 2018, 07:18:09 AM »
This was my first car:

on my husband's birthday years ago, when I booked him a Ferrari ride.  I loved that car so much. It was first owned by my grandparents, I drove into it's 19th year of existence. Note the many shades of red (grandpa had parking issues as he got old). Nobody was taking me seriously in traffic ;-).

I drive a 20.. eh, no idea, 2005, maybe? Suzuki Alto now. I bought it because it's cheap in insurance and road tax, reliable and cheap in maintenance.
We just traded in husbands Hyundai Matrix, great car without mayor costs but it was getting really old, had a lot of mileage and the timing belt had to be replaced soon. Unfortunately the newer Hyundai models were more than we wanted to spend so we bought another brand.

startbyservingothers

• Stubble
    • A Full Year
« Reply #630 on: June 23, 2018, 04:12:48 PM »
Sorry, but I'm not that big on high miles.  I would rather pick up an 'older' car with low miles.   

I picked up a 2004 cavalier 7 years ago for a great price.  I've added about 50K miles to it with nothing but oil changes and a new set of tires.  (A little bit of gas as well.)

I realize most will not consider 2004 as "old".  But take into account:

1. Very faded - not in the cool "hiphop" / "rap" way either.  This car looks more like it's made last century, not this one.
2.  It's a Cavalier.

I could still resell for at least what I paid for it.  - That makes my cost per mile pretty close to what I paid for gas!

« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 04:15:11 PM by startbyservingothers »

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #631 on: June 26, 2018, 04:34:14 AM »
I used to have a 1995 140K mile Fiat Tipo, that I got for 1 dollar.

But I sold it over 3 years ago.

For 85 dollar.

thriftyc

• Bristles
« Reply #632 on: July 10, 2018, 08:26:43 PM »
03 Toyota Camry - still runs great at 500k km (310k miles)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #633 on: July 11, 2018, 09:13:20 AM »
This was my first car:

on my husband's birthday years ago, when I booked him a Ferrari ride.  I loved that car so much. It was first owned by my grandparents, I drove into it's 19th year of existence. Note the many shades of red (grandpa had parking issues as he got old). Nobody was taking me seriously in traffic ;-).

I drive a 20.. eh, no idea, 2005, maybe? Suzuki Alto now. I bought it because it's cheap in insurance and road tax, reliable and cheap in maintenance.
We just traded in husbands Hyundai Matrix, great car without mayor costs but it was getting really old, had a lot of mileage and the timing belt had to be replaced soon. Unfortunately the newer Hyundai models were more than we wanted to spend so we bought another brand.
Chevy Sprint, or european equivalent?!  That was my first car too (though in 2012...).  Mine was blue.  The guy I bought it from won it at Burger King back in the day so it just sat as an extra car (~42,000 miles on the clock when I bought it).  That car was great, but was nearly rusted out by the time I crashed it into a Jeep. :(

FreshPrincess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #634 on: July 11, 2018, 09:53:04 AM »
1999 Toyota Camry with 114k on the odometer.  She's missing the passenger side mirror, but Black Beauty is still going strong.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #635 on: July 11, 2018, 10:30:32 AM »
1999 Toyota Camry with 114k on the odometer.  She's missing the passenger side mirror, but Black Beauty is still going strong.
Up until a couple years ago, I had never been to a junk/salvage yard.  I've been now a few times, and it simply boggles my mind how cheap parts are.  I mean, sure, you have to spend some of your time to go there and pull it off the car, but my preferred junk yard will sell a side mirror for $15.

Elizabeth377

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #636 on: July 11, 2018, 04:51:14 PM »
New to the MMM community...I have a 2001 Ford Freestar with 380,000 miles, still going strong. I don't expect any other car to even get close to that mileage. Downside is the terrible gas mileage, only 17 mpg city.

I also have a 2006 Nissan Altima with 220,000 but the AC went out, the fuel sensor doesn't work, and theres a leak in the coolant line.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #637 on: July 11, 2018, 06:47:02 PM »
New to the MMM community...I have a 2001 Ford Freestar with 380,000 miles, still going strong. I don't expect any other car to even get close to that mileage. Downside is the terrible gas mileage, only 17 mpg city.

I also have a 2006 Nissan Altima with 220,000 but the AC went out, the fuel sensor doesn't work, and theres a leak in the coolant line.
Sounds like a good opportunity to pick up some new skills!

I don't know if our '06 Honda Odyssey qualifies as old or high-mileage, but I did a bit of cheap repair on it tonight.  Honda Odysseys have a well-earned reputation for door rollers that fail (and cause all sorts of nasty scraping noises, and if you ignore it long enough, nasty scrapes along the bodywork).  The actual rollers are made of plastic, are sort of riveted in place, and rotate around a plain shaft.  No lubricant as far as I can tell.  Seriously designed to fail.

Rather than pay $40/door for the whole new roller assembly, I figured out a way to remove the solid (like a washer) retaining ring, pull the failing plastic rollers off, and replace them with nylon spacers from the hardware store ($0.59 ea!).  And then I thought "there's gotta be a ball bearing this size."

As it turns out, there is.  A standard, plain ol' 605ZZ bearing ($1.29 for a pair shipped all the way from China!) not only works, it fits like a glove.  That, plus a couple of e-clips ($12 for a set of several hundred in various metric sizes) and half an hour's work, and now I have a door roller that will not only last practically forever, it will also be easy to repair if/when needed.  It sure seems like the engineers planned to have a replaceable ball bearing there, but then the beancounters told them to save $0.50 by putting plastic spacers there instead.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #638 on: July 11, 2018, 07:41:46 PM »

My car is 12 years old and in great condition.  Low miles.  I installed a remote starter myself, love it, especially in the winter.

ginjaninja

• Bristles
    • My Journal
« Reply #639 on: July 12, 2018, 03:36:11 PM »
Late to the discussion:

I have a 2001 Lexus RX300 with 265,000 miles on it.  Registration was just paid at $75.  I love this car and will not get a new one until it dies.

ParkwayD123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #640 on: July 12, 2018, 07:36:34 PM »
I've got a truck with approx 220K on it and my wife's SUV has 125K. 
They aren't going anywhere anytime soon!

Eventuality

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #641 on: July 17, 2018, 07:59:52 PM »
I have a '01 Subaru Forester with 145,000 miles. Minus the head gaskets ($$$), which I knew about when I bought the car and budgeted for, it's been very easy on repairs and has averaged about one $2-300 annually, which is certainly less than a car payment! I'm planning to drive it to 200,000 miles and maybe even longer if it's still economical to do so.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #642 on: July 19, 2018, 07:28:44 AM »
Not sure if I can call it overly old, but the other week I picked up a 2002 Holden Barina with 111,000km for $3000.

It's got plenty of space for the driver for a small hatchback, and the 1.4L engine has plenty of go.

Let's see how long it lasts :)

I've got a photo of the odo at 111111 as well :)

Still running well at 146000km (91000 miles). The first service was expensive (timing belt), and I had to replace the pedal box a couple of years ago as something bent when I pressed the clutch, but aside from that it’s been fine.

Should be good for a while yet, but I wonder if I should sell it in a year or two while it’s still got some value left in it and buy something a few years newer. Waiting for the third gen Prius to get cheap enough, but I may not drive enough to justify it :)

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #643 on: July 19, 2018, 07:20:32 PM »
Not sure if I can call it overly old, but the other week I picked up a 2002 Holden Barina with 111,000km for $3000.

It's got plenty of space for the driver for a small hatchback, and the 1.4L engine has plenty of go.

Let's see how long it lasts :)

I've got a photo of the odo at 111111 as well :)

Still running well at 146000km (91000 miles). The first service was expensive (timing belt), and I had to replace the pedal box a couple of years ago as something bent when I pressed the clutch, but aside from that it’s been fine.

Should be good for a while yet, but I wonder if I should sell it in a year or two while it’s still got some value left in it and buy something a few years newer. Waiting for the third gen Prius to get cheap enough, but I may not drive enough to justify it :)

My advice would be to drive it until it dies.  It will be cheap enough to find something else then.

TomSelleckJR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #644 on: July 31, 2018, 03:05:13 PM »
I had a 2000 Toyota Echo with 285k on it.  Manual trans, no air con, manual windows, manual locks, etc.
It was (by far) the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.
42+ mpg

I finally sold it after taking a work from home job, and realizing that it didn't make sense to let it degrade om the driveway.

Saved me a TON of money over the years when I had a commute.

mntnmn117

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #645 on: August 01, 2018, 03:45:02 PM »
1998 Toyota Landcruiser
285,000 Miles

Not exactly frugal 14 MPGs, but supports year round recreation for a family of 6.

aetheldrea

• Stubble
« Reply #646 on: August 20, 2018, 08:08:05 PM »
Just last month replaced the factory front brakes on my 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid ~191,000 miles

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #647 on: August 21, 2018, 03:51:01 AM »
my VW is now at 242,000

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #648 on: August 21, 2018, 04:53:44 AM »
Our car is 42 yrs old

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #649 on: August 21, 2018, 07:06:57 AM »
My 2006 Prius died this month at 320,000 miles! 

She died NOT due to mechanical failure but due to the teenage driver she kept safe in 3 different accidents over the last 3 months.  I was really hoping to get 500k miles from her but I guess that will not be happening.  Glad the kiddo is safe! Bummed the car is gone, I am sure it was very non-MMM but I brought her brand new after college.  I like to think it was a good purchase considering I got 12 years and 320k miles out of her.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!