Author Topic: Brag on your MMM high-mileage or old car  (Read 404006 times)

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Brag on your MMM high-mileage or old car
« Reply #400 on: April 06, 2017, 01:15:46 PM »
My 2007 Prius has 266,000 miles on it. I bought it new. I change my own oil, oil filter, and put high pressure in the tires to boost fuel efficiency.

I'm starting my slide into retirement, so I will be putting less miles on my car now. I just quit a job where I used to deliver newspapers each Wednesday in not such great neighborhoods in Detroit and Ypsilanti. That job just ended, so that will decrease mileage on my car now.

shawndoggy

• Bristles
« Reply #401 on: April 06, 2017, 01:16:02 PM »
01 excursion 7.3 with 193k on the clock. It's my daily (short commute). Still think it's worth what I paid 5 years ago (though I'm in for at least $5k in repairs and maintenance over that time). Engine is bulletproof but the rest of the truck is disintegrating around the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim89

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • “he who will not economize will have to agonize”
« Reply #402 on: April 07, 2017, 07:43:36 AM »
I sold an 02 Dodge intrepid last year with 180K for what I had bought it for (2K) 3 years earlier. The only thing I did was $20 oil changes​ s over the years. After I sold it I picked up a 2013 Dodge Dart with 30K for 6K out the door. 6 speed manual base model. 35 MPG avg and is a blast to drive!

Glad you like the new dart ! I think it looks great ! I know some friends who really liked the old neon that wish they would come out with a dart srt model.

Hope it serves you well !

People knock the 2.7 intrepids but mine ran like a champ. The Dart also gets a bad rep but most people review the autos. The 2.0 6 speed manual is VERY reliable and has plenty of pep for me. I will drive it into the ground. I put about 5K on the car per year so that's going to take a while!

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #403 on: April 07, 2017, 12:23:40 PM »
I sold an 02 Dodge intrepid last year with 180K for what I had bought it for (2K) 3 years earlier. The only thing I did was $20 oil changes​ s over the years. After I sold it I picked up a 2013 Dodge Dart with 30K for 6K out the door. 6 speed manual base model. 35 MPG avg and is a blast to drive!

Glad you like the new dart ! I think it looks great ! I know some friends who really liked the old neon that wish they would come out with a dart srt model.

Hope it serves you well !

People knock the 2.7 intrepids but mine ran like a champ. The Dart also gets a bad rep but most people review the autos. The 2.0 6 speed manual is VERY reliable and has plenty of pep for me. I will drive it into the ground. I put about 5K on the car per year so that's going to take a while!

The big problem with the 2.7 is that is would severely sludge up and destroy itself if you didn't change the oil at least every 5K.  My mechanic buddy had customers that would do a 10k interval due to neglect, or whatever, and by the time they did a couple of them, the motor was toast. The second problem is that they were virtually non-existent in boneyards, and very expensive as a rebuild. He had a few customers that disposed of really nice cars since dropping $5K for a motor didn't make sense.

FrugalAaron

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #404 on: April 13, 2017, 12:55:38 AM »
I'm a recent convert with long term Mustachian tendencies.

2007 - Saturn Ion

Purchase Price 3,000
KM driven 50,000
Drove for 2 years with only oil changes - Approx cost of maintenance 500
Sale Price - 1,800

Total Cost of ownership - 1700 (Not including insurance and registration)
Cost per KM - 0.034 per KM

So we recently had a baby and had to upgrade our car. New to us car bough in Jan. 

2009 - Pontiac Vibe
137,000 KM
4K Cash.

It's funny my co-workers are all purchasing fancy pants cars and we're more than happy with our reliable vibe

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #405 on: April 13, 2017, 11:33:13 AM »
2009 Toyota Yaris with 117K miles, just a baby. I plan on keeping her for several more years. Drives great, excellent gas mileage, and no repairs to speak of, just the usual maintenance.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #406 on: April 13, 2017, 09:38:12 PM »
My '95 Corolla (mentioned earlier in the thread, now with 212k miles) just got a new ignition coil tonight, and is primed for several dozen thousand miles of (nearly) trouble-free running.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 10:26:51 PM by zolotiyeruki »

starjay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #407 on: April 14, 2017, 09:21:08 AM »
We have a 1999 Nissan Maxima with ~250k miles, and a 2007 Hyundai Elantra with ~124K. The Elantra acts like it'll run forever, too, so I hope we won't need to replace either of them for quite some time. Fortunately, we both happen to work within 10 miles of home, so our commutes are good.

Octotat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #408 on: April 17, 2017, 12:44:23 PM »
I bought a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee with only 75,000 miles on it for $3k.  Drove it two years (25,000 miles) and just sold it for $3,800!  Would have kept it because it was still like new, except I suspected something expensive might be lurking in the motor

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #409 on: April 17, 2017, 03:08:27 PM »
My 2007 Prius has 266,000 miles on it. I bought it new. I change my own oil, oil filter, and put high pressure in the tires to boost fuel efficiency.

I'm starting my slide into retirement, so I will be putting less miles on my car now. I just quit a job where I used to deliver newspapers each Wednesday in not such great neighborhoods in Detroit and Ypsilanti. That job just ended, so that will decrease mileage on my car now.

I already commented but my 06 Prius (that I bought new) has just over of 290K on it.  She is sitting right now because I caved to temptation on buying an electric car.  We will be keeping her around for ranges that exceed the Leaf's capabilities.  We do plan to do some work to her but mostly just items that are listed in Toyota's 150k mile maintenance recommendations. My goal has always been to see the 300k mark but it seems it will take a little longer before we get to that point.

Ratherboard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #410 on: April 17, 2017, 07:27:09 PM »
I bought a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee with only 75,000 miles on it for $3k.  Drove it two years (25,000 miles) and just sold it for $3,800!  Would have kept it because it was still like new, except I suspected something expensive might be lurking in the motor

Whoa!  Now THAT's some awesome "cost-per-mile" numbers!  or I should say "PROFIT per mile driven!"

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #411 on: April 17, 2017, 08:24:11 PM »
~181k miles, fixed a thing: http://i.imgur.com/IOnjn7U.png

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #412 on: April 18, 2017, 07:27:55 AM »

I already commented but my 06 Prius (that I bought new) has just over of 290K on it.  She is sitting right now because I caved to temptation on buying an electric car.  We will be keeping her around for ranges that exceed the Leaf's capabilities.  We do plan to do some work to her but mostly just items that are listed in Toyota's 150k mile maintenance recommendations. My goal has always been to see the 300k mark but it seems it will take a little longer before we get to that point.

So you bought a Nissan Leaf ?  Did you buy a new model year one ?

I was thinking about buying an electric car too.

wkumtrider

• Stubble
« Reply #413 on: April 18, 2017, 10:09:12 AM »
2000 Dodge Dakota with 204,000 miles.  Still runs great.  Still has original hoses and alternator.  Very little repairs over the years (bought new).

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #414 on: April 18, 2017, 03:10:43 PM »

So you bought a Nissan Leaf ?  Did you buy a new model year one ?

I was thinking about buying an electric car too.

Yes I bought a '17 Leaf in December.  My area had a $10k off MSRP offer and I had been considering it since new charging stations were installed across the street from work last summer.  So far I do not have any major complaints.  I have a 40-45 mile one-way commute so I watch my mile range really close and charge (for free right now) at the charging stations across the street during lunch.  Now that it is warm I do not need to charge during lunch but it is free energy so I do it anyways.  Over the winter I did HAVE to charge during lunch, especially if I used the heater.  I did find that with the heated seats, a small blanket, and some gloves usually allowed me to get where I was going without the need for the heater.  I anticipate that the battery will slowly lose some of it's capacity and at some point (hopefully a few years at least) it will need to become my DH's car (he doesn't have much of a commute at all) or I will have to charge it more often (or longer) while I am at work. 

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #415 on: April 18, 2017, 04:32:30 PM »
2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level 2 4.0L/5sp with 220,000 and it still runs great.  Bought it from a guy for $500 because his angry girlfriend started the interior on fire.  Bought a wrecked Ranger with a nice interior and completely swapped it over down to the nuts and bolts.  Parted out the rest for a profit and now have a really nice pickup.

steviesterno

• Bristles
« Reply #416 on: April 18, 2017, 05:08:43 PM »
currently driving a 2007 FJ cruiser. Not the best milage, but I live pretty close to work and I bought it because I always wanted on. got it in 2013 for 15k and it's still worth about 15k since it was discontinued. It's got 67k miles on it and one of the best engines ever made. Tires, batteries, oil and brakes was all I was into it until this year (alternator).

Anyway the brag portion is because I painted it myself! Clear coat was coming off so I sanded, prepped, primed, and rhino lined the whole thing! I got the paint off amazon with gift cards, did the work myself with the help of the FIL to tape off, but now it's one of the coolest looking FJs I've ever seen and should last a few more years in this hot sun. It's also dent and hail resistant now, and I think it's bad-ass.

SavinMaven

• Stubble
« Reply #417 on: April 18, 2017, 07:43:20 PM »
My first post! Hi, everybody!

The weekend before last, we're driving home in my husband's 2006 Toyota Sienna with 196,000 miles on it when it just shuts down. $50/yr for the AAA membership gets us a free tow... total repair cost? $84, for a new belt to turn the alternator :)

surfhb

« Reply #418 on: April 19, 2017, 12:44:24 AM »
My beloved Toyota Pick with 555,000 miles was stolen as I was surfing 6 months ago.   

I bought another just like it with 98k.   Same make, model and color.     I'm still tripping out on that one!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #419 on: April 19, 2017, 05:55:57 AM »
currently driving a 2007 FJ cruiser. Not the best milage, but I live pretty close to work and I bought it because I always wanted on. got it in 2013 for 15k and it's still worth about 15k since it was discontinued. It's got 67k miles on it and one of the best engines ever made. Tires, batteries, oil and brakes was all I was into it until this year (alternator).

Anyway the brag portion is because I painted it myself! Clear coat was coming off so I sanded, prepped, primed, and rhino lined the whole thing! I got the paint off amazon with gift cards, did the work myself with the help of the FIL to tape off, but now it's one of the coolest looking FJs I've ever seen and should last a few more years in this hot sun. It's also dent and hail resistant now, and I think it's bad-ass.
I want to see pictures of this, because it's something I've considered doing for my own car(s).

Cabaka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #420 on: April 19, 2017, 12:54:18 PM »
My beloved Toyota Pick with 555,000 miles was stolen as I was surfing 6 months ago.   

I bought another just like it with 98k.   Same make, model and color.     I'm still tripping out on that one!

No offense meant, but if I was a car thief and got into a car with 550K miles, I would move on to the next one; you know he's not paying for repairs if something wears out.

My measly 68K on a 2008 seems like a new car by comparison.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #421 on: April 19, 2017, 01:18:52 PM »
Cars thieves don't drive the cars they steal. They get sold for parts.

DarinC

• Bristles
« Reply #422 on: April 21, 2017, 11:02:29 AM »
Older/reliable vehicles might be shipped to other counties whole and sold.

El_Viajero

• Stubble
« Reply #423 on: April 28, 2017, 07:31:30 AM »
My family drives a 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid with only 86,000 miles on it. It's ugly as hell, and it's our only car. I'm keeping it for another decade.

Before I acquired it in 2009, it was a seldom-used pizza delivery car with a gigantic dent that took up the entire driver-side door. The drivers also left cigarette burns in the upholstery. Both of these "big problems" made it cheaper. The dent has been hammered out, but the cigarette burns will be there forever.

We only drive 7-8K miles per year, so this thing's got lots of life left in it.

One big problem: Last year, I had to replace the battery that drives the hybrid system. These things fail after awhile, and if the car is old enough they aren't under warranty anymore. This battery is a specialty item, and it cost me $2500. I paid cash, of course.

Expensive? Yep. But it's cheaper than getting another car, especially considering the low mileage on the current vehicle.

I'd have been better off had this been the normal, non-hybrid version of the Civic, but it was a great deal at the time. It still is, mostly, but having to replace that battery pretty much negates any fuel savings you enjoy from having a hybrid car.

Scottfree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #424 on: April 30, 2017, 02:29:47 PM »
2008 Lexus gx470 with 185k. Running great!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #425 on: May 02, 2017, 06:40:22 PM »
2008 Lexus gx470 with 185k. Running great!

If you ever need pointers working on it (or if your air suspension fails and you want to convert to springs), join us over at GXOR! :)

My '05 is at 181k - humming right along like it's brand new.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 06:46:44 PM by JLee »

Salvo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #426 on: May 03, 2017, 10:06:39 AM »
Just passed emissions check on my 1995 Honda Civic LX 1.5L!  Cost me under $1000 last year in total (insurance, gas, maintenance/parts) to drive and I'd be lucky to sell it for that much so I'll never get rid of it.  Car has 180k on it and still gets 33-35+ MPG.  Rear quarter panels are falling apart thanks to Ohio rust, and paint is peeling in multiple spots, but the motor and transmission are solid.  I'm the second owner, put 80k miles on since 2010.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #427 on: May 03, 2017, 02:13:30 PM »
Just passed emissions check on my 1995 Honda Civic LX 1.5L!  Cost me under $1000 last year in total (insurance, gas, maintenance/parts) to drive and I'd be lucky to sell it for that much so I'll never get rid of it.  Car has 180k on it and still gets 33-35+ MPG.  Rear quarter panels are falling apart thanks to Ohio rust, and paint is peeling in multiple spots, but the motor and transmission are solid.  I'm the second owner, put 80k miles on since 2010.
I used to own a '94 civic with manual everything.  I LOVED that car, and still sorta miss it.

RoostKing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #428 on: May 03, 2017, 05:28:59 PM »
I bought a 2001 Ford Ranger new and drive it to this day. Its been an ultra-reliable vehicle with just some A/C compressor issues(Multiple compressors) . Still runs good, but the transmission is starting to go.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #429 on: May 08, 2017, 12:40:56 PM »
I bought a 2001 Ford Ranger new and drive it to this day. Its been an ultra-reliable vehicle with just some A/C compressor issues(Multiple compressors) . Still runs good, but the transmission is starting to go.
I probably posted this but also have a 2001 Ranger extra cab with a shell. 115k miles. Use it for camping and hauling my "toys" and ride my bike rest of the time. So far no problems but new fuel pump. Sisters small truck, 2000 Frontier, has 200k miles. She bought hers new in 2000 for around $8k and I bought mine use in 2007 for $4k with about 40k miles on it.

Ranger is the official mmm vehicle ? haha

As a fellow owner of an 07 ranger I hope to get 300k out of mine.

Dr.Jeckyl

• Stubble
« Reply #430 on: May 16, 2017, 02:21:24 PM »
I currently daily a '03 Cavalier. My wife bought it new in college. I swapped cars with her when our son was born since it was easier to get his car seat in the 4 door. At about the same time I had been promoted to a job with a 140 mile round trip commute. I no longer have that long of a commute but the Cav now has over 257,000 trouble free miles and growing.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #431 on: May 16, 2017, 02:54:18 PM »
I currently daily a '03 Cavalier. My wife bought it new in college. I swapped cars with her when our son was born since it was easier to get his car seat in the 4 door. At about the same time I had been promoted to a job with a 140 mile round trip commute. I no longer have that long of a commute but the Cav now has over 257,000 trouble free miles and growing.

Pretty amazing service from a Cavalier. Good job.

Dr.Jeckyl

• Stubble
« Reply #432 on: May 16, 2017, 03:04:39 PM »
Pretty amazing service from a Cavalier. Good job.
[/quote]

Thanks. I met my wife when the car was about a year old and I've taken care of the maintenance ever since. I have a love (it keeps running and costs are low) and hate (I'm a car guy and have never owned an automatic economy car) relationship with it. It pretty much goes to show that if you do some maintenance you can keep almost any modern car running for a long time. After all, this is Chevy's lowest model car from a time when they were about to declare bankruptcy. Part of my wishes something major might break so that I had a reason to purchase a Volt or some other car, but I can't justify the expense.

WranglerBowman

• Stubble
« Reply #433 on: May 17, 2017, 10:52:36 AM »
2000 Dodge Dakota with 204,000 miles.  Still runs great.  Still has original hoses and alternator.  Very little repairs over the years (bought new).

I have a 2000 Dakota Quad Cab 4.7L 5spd that I bought a little over a year ago with 210k miles on it.  Big plans for this truck to be a diesel conversion.  Dad has a 2000 Durango 4.7L Auto that has 293k miles on it.  That 4.7L has been a pretty impressive gas motor and I still see a lot of them on the road with high miles.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #434 on: May 20, 2017, 12:52:36 PM »
I like this thread!

We have 3 old cars with very low mileage but we've always outsourced all of the maintenance because we are both clueless on all things car related.  But I just enrolled in a 6 week automotive class at the local jr college.  Cost of class will be less than $200 including all the extra fees they add ($161 for the units themselves) and it includes a free daily bus pass for the whole semester.  The bus goes right by my house and will drop me off on campus in 10-15 mins.

This thread has inspired me to start doing our own maintenance and save lots of money. 

Sarah Saverdink

• Stubble
    • The Saverdinks
« Reply #435 on: May 20, 2017, 01:15:21 PM »
Love all the high mileage Prius brags!! Husband drives a 2005 Prius as his commuter car. Bought is 3 years ago with 100k miles on it. It just passed 200k miles and no issues yet. Hoping it makes it another 50k+ miles.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #436 on: May 24, 2017, 02:53:45 PM »
Love all the high mileage Prius brags!! Husband drives a 2005 Prius as his commuter car. Bought is 3 years ago with 100k miles on it. It just passed 200k miles and no issues yet. Hoping it makes it another 50k+ miles.

Prius are incredibly reliable vehicles.  Even so, you still have knuckleheads that bash them all the time.  I suppose they are not 'exciting' enough for many so maybe that is part of where the bashing comes from.  Apparently huge raised pickup trucks are the 'exciting' vehicles these days.  :-)

Oh..and the fact that the Prius Hybrid Synergy Drive is a truly 'beltless' design (at least on 2010+ models) means they are extremely reliable without much of the maintenance required for a non-hybrid.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 02:57:46 PM by farmecologist »

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #437 on: May 24, 2017, 04:03:01 PM »
I probably posted this but also have a 2001 Ranger extra cab with a shell. 115k miles. Use it for camping and hauling my "toys" and ride my bike rest of the time. So far no problems but new fuel pump. Sisters small truck, 2000 Frontier, has 200k miles. She bought hers new in 2000 for around $8k and I bought mine use in 2007 for $4k with about 40k miles on it.

Ranger is the official mmm vehicle ? haha

As a fellow owner of an 07 ranger I hope to get 300k out of mine.

It probably is the official truck of choice.  If you don't need 4x4 or towing power, the 2.3L gets 24 city / 29 hwy mpg and is extremely functional.  If do, the 4.0L is rock solid and can easily go to 300K.  Rangers are extremely undervalued compared to the Tacoma so you can pick them up very cheap.  I have personally owed 3 different ranges and loved them all.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #438 on: May 24, 2017, 07:00:26 PM »
Oh..and the fact that the Prius Hybrid Synergy Drive is a truly 'beltless' design (at least on 2010+ models) means they are extremely reliable without much of the maintenance required for a non-hybrid.
I didn't realize they did away with the accessory belts.  That's kind of cool.  Although...belts are cheaper to replace than electric motors, and simpler.  And I find that even though they're in the way of replacing the timing belt (does the Prius still have one of those?), they're usually one of the easier things to remove from an engine.  it'll be interesting to see how the electric solution lasts.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #439 on: May 26, 2017, 10:10:11 AM »
I didn't realize they did away with the accessory belts.  That's kind of cool.  Although...belts are cheaper to replace than electric motors, and simpler.  And I find that even though they're in the way of replacing the timing belt (does the Prius still have one of those?), they're usually one of the easier things to remove from an engine.  it'll be interesting to see how the electric solution lasts.

I see tons of 'second generation' Prius (2003-2009) all over the place around here...and this is in a high wear area ( Minnesota ).  Many of these cars have 150-200K+ miles on them now...most with very little repair work.  To me this is a very good sign.  It has been proven that the failure rate on the electric accessory motors and for that matter the hybrid battery is extremely low (as in they last the life of the vehicle).  All of this paired with the extreme simplicity of the transmission make for a very reliable combination.

I was extremely skeptical about all of this...until we got a used 2010 model.  It has (so far) far the most reliable car we have owned.  And we have put it through the wringer.  Multiple 5000 mile road trips up and down mountain passes, Minnesota winters, etc...

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #440 on: May 26, 2017, 01:42:10 PM »
This weekend, my wife and I are flying to DC on Saturday morning (tomorrow) for a friends wedding. (Of course we're burning Southwest Airline miles). Wedding is on Sunday. We were intending to stay in the DC area until Wednesday and fly home, but instead, I cancelled our return tickets (no penalty for cancelled flights up to 10 minutes prior to the flight), and we're buying a 1997 Honda Civic 2dr coupe from it's original owner, for $1k, and we're driving the thing home to Seattle over the course of 4 days.

It currently has 295k miles. Bring it on.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #441 on: May 26, 2017, 01:56:23 PM »
On my 2007 Prius which has just under 270,000 miles on it, I had to replace the water pump and the driver's or serpentine belt. I also had to replace the right front wheel hub and assembly. Also a minor repair was needed on the exhaust.

I'm thinking I should buy a new car soon, just not sure if I should be an expensive all electric Chevrolet Bolt, or maybe another Prius.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #442 on: May 26, 2017, 03:09:13 PM »
On my 2007 Prius which has just under 270,000 miles on it, I had to replace the water pump and the driver's or serpentine belt. I also had to replace the right front wheel hub and assembly. Also a minor repair was needed on the exhaust.

I'm thinking I should buy a new car soon, just not sure if I should be an expensive all electric Chevrolet Bolt, or maybe another Prius.

Why buy a new car now? It's got plenty of life left in it yet.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #443 on: May 26, 2017, 03:58:08 PM »

Why buy a new car now? It's got plenty of life left in it yet.

I hope you're right. Then I really am FIRE since the money saved up for a new car can really push me over the top.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #444 on: May 26, 2017, 04:59:53 PM »

What paint did you use? You say you Rhino-Lioned the whole thing, but I've never seen it available in a retail shop, much less on Amazon.

I bought a big ass 2004 Ford F-350 that was sprayed with bed-liner as well. I get compliments every time I drive it (Though I don't drive it often).

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #445 on: May 27, 2017, 02:31:39 PM »

Belts also involve tensioners and pulleys, which eventually need to be replaced as well.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #446 on: May 28, 2017, 01:41:46 PM »

That's right...2nd Gen Prius do have a belt.  Gen3 (2010)+ are the ones that are 'beltless'.

kelvin

• Stubble
« Reply #447 on: May 31, 2017, 01:38:33 PM »

The main problem with old cars (at least in northern Illinois) is rust.  Get something built decently, and without rust (or minor rust that you fix right away), take care of it, and no reason it can't run forever.  My Volvo had only two very small spots of rust when I got it, and I fixed them easily before winter came to make them bigger.

How exactly did you fix the rust? Is this something I can do myself, or do I have to take it to a shop? Bodywork is really expensive.

I've purposely avoided buying Mazdas because every Mazda in the city (Ottawa, ON) has rust in the exact same spots.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #448 on: May 31, 2017, 01:49:18 PM »

The main problem with old cars (at least in northern Illinois) is rust.  Get something built decently, and without rust (or minor rust that you fix right away), take care of it, and no reason it can't run forever.  My Volvo had only two very small spots of rust when I got it, and I fixed them easily before winter came to make them bigger.

How exactly did you fix the rust? Is this something I can do myself, or do I have to take it to a shop? Bodywork is really expensive.

I've purposely avoided buying Mazdas because every Mazda in the city (Ottawa, ON) has rust in the exact same spots.
What I fixed were two very small surface spots, to the point where I could grind them down to bare shiny metal and see zero rust at all (it wasn't deep).  I used a Dremel tool to get rid of most of the rust, then coarse and fine sandpaper to finish removing it and smooth it out.  Then after cleaning and drying, I threw a small amount of body filler on there, let that cure, then sprayed on primer, basecoat, and clearcoat.  It would have been much more work if it was a large or deep rust spot.  It probably didn't look quite as good as if a body shop had done it, but it kept the rust from spreading, and it was only noticeable if you knew where to look.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #449 on: June 01, 2017, 05:46:45 PM »
We have decided to keep our 2001 Ford E350 15 passenger van even though we aren't hauling most of our large family around in it anymore, just the four youngest. It is great because it has tons of cargo space when you remove rows of seats. We have fit 6 bikes in there plus coolers etc. It's wonderful. We were considering downsizing but it's long since paid for and costs very little in maintenance. Driving it till the wheels fall off!