Author Topic: Brag on your MMM high-mileage or old car  (Read 404011 times)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
Re: Brag on your MMM high-mileage or old car
« Reply #300 on: December 09, 2016, 09:19:03 AM »
2009 Hyundai Accent with just over 255,000 miles on it and still going strong.  Paid $1000 for it earlier this year with a bad heater core (replaced that myself before it got cold).  Previous owner bought it new and commuted 80 miles each way (highway, suburb to suburb) for some insane reason.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #301 on: December 09, 2016, 11:40:10 AM »
Not going to win the thread or anything, but my old Toyota is pretty badass.  1995 Tercel Sedan, 4spd stick and no frills, still going strong at 330k.  Had it for 14 years, paid $5k in Dec 2002, could probably still get $1k for it.  I've done almost all work on it myself, except for a new clutch at 300k, and the welding on of a new (used) muffler when the old one was destroyed by a journey on a very rough logging road.  It's never actually broken down on me once in 14 years (i've killed the battery a couple times in the driveway leaving lights on, but thats a quick jumpstart). 

EarlThePearl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #302 on: December 09, 2016, 12:08:05 PM »
I had a 95 Tercel Coupe. 4sp manual, kept it until 2006. Looked like a shrunken BMW from certain angles- terrific little car!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 12:13:49 PM by EarlThePearl »

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #303 on: December 09, 2016, 01:22:02 PM »
I had a 95 Tercel Coupe. 4sp manual, kept it until 2006. Looked like a shrunken BMW from certain angles- terrific little car!

Haha, mine's a 2-door coupe also, and it totally does look like one from some angles.  Not having AC sometimes sucks, but other than that its a great car.  The clear coat is starting to go on some of the panels, so i'll have to do some learning and probably paint and clear coat it this coming summer

EarlThePearl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #304 on: December 10, 2016, 09:13:24 AM »
I
mine's a 2-door coupe also
Do you have the gray vinyl interior and space on the dash where the clock should be (but no clock).
I bought my first car with AC this fall. I'll miss being smug about it!

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #305 on: December 11, 2016, 10:44:57 AM »
I
mine's a 2-door coupe also
Do you have the gray vinyl interior and space on the dash where the clock should be (but no clock).
I bought my first car with AC this fall. I'll miss being smug about it!

Yep, got the grey interior, and a plastic cover where there should be a clock, and one where the AC button should go.  I did put in a better stereo like 10 years ago, because the tape player and 2 speakers it came with sucked. 

EarlThePearl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #306 on: December 11, 2016, 04:57:52 PM »
My friend was like "It would probably cost just as much to put the clock in as would to have put in the plastic cover."
Awesome and true barebones car

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #307 on: December 11, 2016, 05:29:39 PM »
I'm a big fan of the 93/94 GM GMT-400 platform (truck/SUV). Being rural plus almost a mile from the nearest road, 4WD and ground clearance is an absolute must.

I had a '93 Blazer that was a beast of burden for years until the rust and transmission finally went out, closing in on 300k. Oh, the places it went and the things it hauled. I picked up a '93 Silverado long box-std cab to replace it that's hauled fire wood, scrap metal, car engines, appliances, building materials, trash, you name it (plus all the miles of heavy towing). And for 6 months out of the year, serves as winter transportation on our heavily salted roads. This one is just about 'used up'; replaced a brake line and did a bleed yesterday in the driveway but the frame is almost gone. It's replacement will be another 93/94, but I might have to ship one in from outside the rust belt.

These vehicles hit the sweet spot for me- EFI but pre-Vortec. ABS but straightforward disc/drums. A real tilt column, mechanical transfer case and HEI style ignition but lots of niceties, like digital climate control, full instrumentation and DTR without ANY multiplexed wiring. All systems are independent. That all changed in '95, along with the cheapening of the interior and a more trouble-prone drivetrain.

Insurance is dirt cheap, registration is $50/yr and parts, if needed, are cheap and plentiful and can be replaced with basic tools.

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #308 on: December 12, 2016, 08:46:49 AM »
Sold the 2004 Red Prius with 257K miles.  (we had bought that one when it was 6 years old @ 185K miles)
Bought a 2010 Blue Prius with 103K miles. It has heated seats! (we love this)

We like to buy 6 year old higher mileage cars! We're a one car family
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 07:12:52 PM by monarda »

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #309 on: December 12, 2016, 11:28:05 AM »
Green Prius = 2006 280k miles and going strong.
Black Prius = 2008 85k miles, salvage title and gets a little less mpg than the green one.

We are currently debating taking advantage of a really awesome deal on a new EV, if we do we will probably unload the black lower mileage Prius.  The Green one is part of the family, I got it with 17 miles on it and love that car. 

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #310 on: December 12, 2016, 11:39:59 AM »
Silver Civic that I bought new back in Feb 2002 after college.  I still even think of it as my new car sometimes even though I've put 134k miles on it. 

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #311 on: December 12, 2016, 11:44:57 AM »
Not anywhere near as impressive as others, but I love my car! I don't know why, but it was my dream car since a very young age. I guess I don't dream big.

I haven't had anyone judge me for driving a 13 year old car, maybe because the paint looks so good and its age isn't obvious. It would be in immaculate condition if it wasn't for assholes in parking lots. I /almost/ wish I drove an older more embarrassing beater car though for hilarity. Fellow classmates are buying brand new Camaros or Lexuses after getting their first shiny jobs post graduation. My car isn't embarrassing enough to post satire pictures of. Some of them literally have an entire album of their car, interior and exterior.

I'll probably buy another if this one dies. Only 145k miles, hopefully another 150k  more!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 11:46:56 AM by marielle »

Samaki Mdogo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #312 on: December 12, 2016, 01:21:50 PM »
1997 Nissan Maxima gle with 230k miles. Still running strong. Bought about 11 years ago. Hhad to replace all struts 3yrs ago, and muffler and cat converter last year after they rusted out. Other than that, I only do general maintenance like oil change, etc. Will drive it till it can't drive any more.

eyerishgold

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #313 on: December 12, 2016, 02:38:55 PM »
I have a low mileage older car, a 2002 with just over 105,000.

I worked from home for a number of years and now I work about 3 miles from home so I don't drive it much at all. To be fair, my wife has a newish 2010 that we use for most of our driving. Hers has just under 80,000 miles on it. We plan on keeping both until they give out on us.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 02:41:01 PM by eyerishgold »

south of 61

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #314 on: December 12, 2016, 05:56:55 PM »
1991 Toyota 4Runner with 380 000 km. Just retired her this winter to be our plow truck, replaced her with a 2004 model -that's new for us!

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #315 on: December 12, 2016, 06:08:11 PM »
2007 Honda Odyssey with 135k, and going strong.  I have resisted the urge to upgrade the minivan! Yay!  Also, I am driving less, trying to schedule my life closer to home.

C40

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #316 on: December 12, 2016, 09:07:47 PM »
My vehicle (a cargo van) is 16 years old, and I live in it!

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #317 on: December 13, 2016, 12:54:10 AM »
My neighbor just got a new (to her) car and I'm insanely jealous.  It's a Suzuki Twin. I can't imagine how insanely great the gas mileage must be!

Gunny

• Stubble
« Reply #318 on: December 13, 2016, 07:20:44 AM »
Kick me out of the club.  I just bought a new-to-me truck.  2008 Titan 4x4 with 47k miles.  It will replace my 2002 GMC Sierra with 230k miles.  The GMC still runs fine and looks good, but...I figure if I wanted to get any value from it I need to sale before too many more miles.  The Nissan with the Endurance V8 should last an easy 300k. 

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #319 on: December 13, 2016, 07:34:46 AM »
I've got 181k miles on my chevy 2500 4x4 monstrosity. It's a 2003 and still kicking along pretty well. While it might not be considered a mustachian vehicle, it brings in money hauling dirt, rock, firewood, and the occasional camper trailer, plus we own a small farm. When this truck gives up the ghost I may try for a smaller one, but I'll still need something with clearance, 4WD, and hauling capacity. Fortunately, it will be a farm truck, so I can pick up a hail damaged one for cheap.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #320 on: December 13, 2016, 11:53:09 AM »
My vehicle (a cargo van) is 16 years old, and I live in it!

Truly badass!

Greenway52

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #321 on: December 13, 2016, 07:17:06 PM »
Mine's a 1993 Honda Accord with 432,000 km. My car is just 2 years younger than me.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #322 on: December 13, 2016, 08:11:28 PM »
My neighbor just got a new (to her) car and I'm insanely jealous.  It's a Suzuki Twin. I can't imagine how insanely great the gas mileage must be!

OK, how about a little more info? What country? How common are they, and how do they compare, size wise, to a Smart car?

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #323 on: December 14, 2016, 04:09:14 AM »
We are in Japan, and it's a tiny car even for here.  I think it's smaller than a SmartCar, though I haven't seen them size by size.  But this strikes me as smaller, and especially more narrow. 

A quick google tells me it's slightly longer than a SmartCar (which surprises me as I'd have guessed shorter), but it is more narrow. 

We are in Japan, and this is a small car even for here. 

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #324 on: December 14, 2016, 07:14:16 PM »
Updates:

The 2000 Buick Regal GS is going strong. 152k miles. 17 years old, plus a couple months. I drive it for fewer miles these days, because ...

Got a 2003 Corvette. Bought at ~81.5k, is at ~90k miles. Works great for road trips. Comfortably carries speeds the buick can't even reach. (Testing done in "mexico.")

Now I have two older GM cars, one daily and one modified high-power sports car. Total value less than a new honda.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #325 on: December 14, 2016, 09:38:34 PM »
My '95 Corolla (mentioned earlier, now with 209k miles) has apparently had a very slightly cracked radiator for the past two years.  I finally noticed a small leak after changing the oil a month ago.  I was very happy to find out that not only does a replacement only cost $55+shipping, it's also a piece of cake to replace, about as hard as replacing brake pads.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #326 on: December 14, 2016, 09:50:33 PM »
My '95 Corolla (mentioned earlier, now with 209k miles) has apparently had a very slightly cracked radiator for the past two years.  I finally noticed a small leak after changing the oil a month ago.  I was very happy to find out that not only does a replacement only cost $55+shipping, it's also a piece of cake to replace, about as hard as replacing brake pads.

Nice! Glad to know it's cheap.

If it's very small, and you're very lazy - or to those who may have similar problems and where radiators are expensive - you can probably just patch it up from the outside. Then you can add a small amount of UV dye to your rad, and check the crack with a UV flashlight on a semi-regular basis, and obviously check the levels.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #327 on: December 15, 2016, 05:39:22 AM »

Nice! Glad to know it's cheap.

If it's very small, and you're very lazy - or to those who may have similar problems and where radiators are expensive - you can probably just patch it up from the outside. Then you can add a small amount of UV dye to your rad, and check the crack with a UV flashlight on a semi-regular basis, and obviously check the levels.
Yeah, the crack wasn't even visible to the naked eye--I just noticed a drop of antifreeze slowly seeping out when the engine was running.  I considered doing something like melting/sealing the plastic with a heat gun or soldering iron, but it felt like it would be a very temporary and weak repair--after all, the radiator *has* been through 20 years of thermal cycles.

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #328 on: December 15, 2016, 11:14:52 AM »
2003 Lexus RX300. Finally had to replace it last year, but it took me to 265,000 miles. I put 210,000 of those miles on it myself. Purchased a 2012 Hyundai Sonata after the Lexus gave out on me and am hoping to keep that around for a good amount of time as well.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #329 on: December 15, 2016, 01:19:25 PM »
2003 Lexus RX300. Finally had to replace it last year, but it took me to 265,000 miles. I put 210,000 of those miles on it myself. Purchased a 2012 Hyundai Sonata after the Lexus gave out on me and am hoping to keep that around for a good amount of time as well.

Out of curiosity, what failed on the Lexus?

thunderball

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #330 on: December 15, 2016, 07:14:41 PM »
Our 2006 Honda Odyssey is still going strong at 130,000 miles.   We feel the bumps more and I'm thinking the front suspension may need attention.  Shocks, springs?  I'm not gearhead-savvy, unfortunately.  But we love that car.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #331 on: December 15, 2016, 09:08:58 PM »
Our 2006 Honda Odyssey is still going strong at 130,000 miles.   We feel the bumps more and I'm thinking the front suspension may need attention.  Shocks, springs?  I'm not gearhead-savvy, unfortunately.  But we love that car.

Probably struts/shocks (I'm not sure what the Odyssey has); springs are quite durable.

Grogounet

• Bristles
    • http://www.quest2independence.com
« Reply #332 on: December 15, 2016, 09:31:35 PM »
Aren't we supposed not to drive cars on this forum? :-))))))

distanceman89

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #333 on: December 16, 2016, 01:25:48 PM »

I try not to and bike to work/run errands as much as I can! Honest!

But my 2000 VW Golf TDI does all the heavy lifting. just hit 270K miles, and i bought him at 250K used with bad suspension and clutch- after mostly fixing him up  he cost $2500, gets 40-50 MPG  (less now that its so cold! starting on a super cold morning after sitting for a few weeks is quite entertaining). Manual windows so fewer VW electrical gremlins, and these motors are known to last 400-500K! Though I have a timing belt coming due soon, which aren't cheap but I'm doing the labor at least since I enjoy that work.

When I redid the suspension I put Jetta wagon towing-package springs/struts in there (400-500 lbs heavier car), cost the same but now hes got ground clearance and weight capacity for firewood and lumber/finished furniture hauling! (I'm a woodworker/furnituremaker by trade). I named him Arnie since he's all buff now.

It's only got a 5 foot bed (6 on pass side with the seat forward, and 8 footers fit on top of the passenger seat folded forward, or on the roof) but you can't beat a 50 MPG enclosed bed that will happily carry 5-800 pounds of firewood day after day. Had around 900 lbs of sack concrete in there earlier in the fall and it handled it just fine!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #334 on: December 16, 2016, 02:34:24 PM »

My commute is 6.2 miles by car. It's 15.5 miles by bike.

I'm driving.

Maverick1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #335 on: December 16, 2016, 08:44:28 PM »
In 2003 I bought a 2002 Pontiac Sunfire on leaseback for $10,000. I drove it until 2014. I eventually sold it for $500 in a year where I made nearly $200,000. I don't know many people earning nearly 400x the value of their car!

Now I have a kid and drive an SUV. Sometimes we get drive through.  Being a parent has made me weak!

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #336 on: December 17, 2016, 01:47:21 AM »
We are in Japan, and it's a tiny car even for here.  I think it's smaller than a SmartCar, though I haven't seen them size by size.  But this strikes me as smaller, and especially more narrow. 

A quick google tells me it's slightly longer than a SmartCar (which surprises me as I'd have guessed shorter), but it is more narrow. 

We are in Japan, and this is a small car even for here.
Surprising gly the Smart Fortwo car only get 31/39 mpg (average 35) which is pretty sucky for such a small car. Some mid sized sedans like Nissan Altima and Hyundai Sonatas have around the same (maybe better) mpg and tons more room. Of course hybrids of  everything get better mpg.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/best/bestworstNF.shtml
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/37142.shtml

I have a 2001 Ford Ranger extra cab V-6 with approx 120k miles.. Bought it used in 2007 for $4k  as my FIRE truck to go camping in. Terrible gas mileage especially with a shell so ride my bike most everywhere and only use it for camping road trips with the dog. I'll be selling that truck once my house sells and already bought a Hyundai sedan that gets MUCH better mpg. More than double.

The interwebs tell me the Twin gets up to 80PMG!

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #337 on: December 17, 2016, 01:47:43 AM »

Priority #1 is the struts/shocks (I believe it has struts, but who knows - in short, dampers.) However, you should also replace your strut mounts, including all the stuff that sits up there, which is a strut mount bearing etc.

Ideally you should just buy an entire assembly for both front sides, but the only companies making assemblies are monroes, unities, and other no-names... ie, low quality. However, the job to do the components individually is way more expensive and annoying than doing them as assemblies.

Consult your trusted mechanic, get quotes. You may find that $75-150 (per corner) cheaper assemblies that you need to replace every four-five years (hopefully?) are cheaper than quality parts you have to replace every twelve, even over the course of that time. Also, make sure you have a good idea about how long you expect to keep the car.

After that, I'd be looking at control arms - specifically the bushings and ball joints. Generally speaking, it's much cheaper to replace the entire arms than those components.

Cork

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #338 on: January 08, 2017, 06:04:46 PM »
180,000 mile manual transmission 2009 honda fit.  Bought at 150k miles for 6 grand  from an old lady who commuted 100 miles a day in it on the highway.  She serviced it every 7k miles at the dealership including changing all fluids, wiper blades, and spark plugs every 50k.  When I bought it, it still looked brand new.  I've replaced the alternator and the picture below has my winter tires/wheels installed.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #339 on: January 10, 2017, 01:47:55 PM »

170K ish miles on a 2004 Mazda MPV.  Bought new and maintained myself.   It is currently a 'winter beater' and 'around town' car.   We do have other cars but kept the MPV because it is cheap to drive, has relatively high clearance and hauls stuff well during the summer ( mulch, etc... ).   I'm on a mission to get it to 200K and hopefully it will last till then!

Unfortunately, the MPV is rusting like crazy!  We have had three Mazda vehicles and ALL of them have rusted.  Frankly, the rust issue turned us off from buying another one.  However, I do hope they have solved the rust issue with their latest generation of vehicles...mechanically they are top notch!

We also have a Hyundai Sonata and Toyota Prius and nether of them have a spot of rust on them.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #340 on: January 10, 2017, 01:57:33 PM »
I'm curious what everyone does as far as maintenance. I want to keep driving old cars (maybe even older than my current 2003) but I work full time and don't know what to do if a car has to get work done on it. Is it anti-mustachian to have two beater cars as a backup? Do you rent a car when you get work done? I do some easy repairs myself, but if it's a major repair it would still take just as long because I would have to go on youtube and learn how to do it, then spend a couple days on it, etc...

Riding in with a coworker isn't currently an option but may be in the future. There is a company truck, but I can only use it two weeks each month when that employee is out of the country.

No family/friend option to borrow a car either...

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #341 on: January 10, 2017, 11:08:15 PM »
I'm curious what everyone does as far as maintenance. I want to keep driving old cars (maybe even older than my current 2003) but I work full time and don't know what to do if a car has to get work done on it. Is it anti-mustachian to have two beater cars as a backup? Do you rent a car when you get work done? I do some easy repairs myself, but if it's a major repair it would still take just as long because I would have to go on youtube and learn how to do it, then spend a couple days on it, etc...

Riding in with a coworker isn't currently an option but may be in the future. There is a company truck, but I can only use it two weeks each month when that employee is out of the country.

My old beater broke down on me last week.  It appears that some deferred maintenance was the culprit (I neglected to replace the spark plugs).  Fortunately, the kids were still out of school and I was able to use the minivan until the parts arrived and i was able to swap them in.  I also live close enough to work that in warm-enough weather, biking is an option.

There's a '99 corolla for sale for $1200 near me that I sort of thought about buying, just to have a spare :)  However, the fact of the matter is that if you keep up to date on all your regular maintenance, you're very unlikely to find yourself stranded.  And if you keep up on your maintenance, you further reduce the probability of major repairs.

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #342 on: January 11, 2017, 01:54:35 AM »

I would just rent a car for the day or two when the car is in the shop. Many shops offer car rental as a service. Could you check if a shop local to you has this service.

The trick is also to find a good local shop that does good work and stick with them. Shops are like people, they like people they know and treat them accordingly.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #343 on: January 11, 2017, 10:26:52 AM »
Currently at 205,000 miles on the 1999 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 / Manual transmission, Forest Service Issue.

Doubling down on it and just invested in 4 new off-road shocks, ttl cost was more than the vehicle itself. Plan is to take this Jeep to 300K if possible. Hands down my Jeep is the oldest car in my neighborhood and at work, by far (excepting the landscapers that drive in daily to work in my neighborhood and at my job).

People do make insulting comments to me about it. Fuck 'em. I wear that old Jeep as a badge of honor. The mechanic that installed my shocks beat me though, bragging about his 1985 Porsche still in operation.

:)

Frugal_NYC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #344 on: January 11, 2017, 11:39:36 AM »
1999 Toyota Avalon XLS - 150K miles

1999: Dad buys it brand new from dealership, played the sh*t out of Backstreet Boys Millennium CD in it
2007: I turn 17 and dad gives me the car as my first
2014: I move to city after college and give car back to Dad who drives it about 5 miles a day back and forth to work

2019??: I move out of city and re-claim my prized possession as long as pops continues to take care of it

Toyotas rule

Cowardly Toaster

• Bristles
    • My MMM Forum Journal
« Reply #345 on: January 11, 2017, 12:48:27 PM »
Really nicely preserved '94 Mazda B-Series pickup with 4x4 and manual tranny, 191k miles. Extended cab and beautiful red paint.

One bonus is that the older Mazda's have many interchangeable parts with Ford Rangers, so getting parts is a breeze. Even the engines can be replaced inexpensively.

I'm proud to say that it is the oldest vehicle in the company parking lot. There is a '99 F-150 but nothing else is even close. The median year in the parking lot is probably 2010 and many people are driving giant SUVs and trucks. So I'm proud as heck of my dinky little truck.

A lumber rack and trailer hitch upgrade are planned.

SoCal Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #346 on: January 11, 2017, 06:53:19 PM »
My daily commuter is a 1991 Honda Accord. Everything about how the car drives works great. The things that relay information from car to driver do not work so great: speedometer spends larges chunks of time stuck at zero, door ajar lights always on, etc. All part of the experience!

pegleglolita

• Stubble
« Reply #347 on: January 11, 2017, 07:57:41 PM »
me:  2007 Nissan Versa 5-speed (making my boys learn how to drive on a stick! mwahahahahah!) 125K miles
spouse:  1989 VW Doka retired from the German army motor pool, can't remember how many miles on the replacement Audi diesel engine.  Ready for the zombie apocalypse in this thing:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #348 on: February 27, 2017, 06:51:56 PM »
This is going to sound a little nuts, but if you currently bundle your auto insurance with the same provider as your homeowners, you might find they offer a substantial discount when you insure a second car, to the point that your overall amount due is cheaper than having just one car on the account!  (this is in response to a previous comment someone made about keeping a beater around)

Some have found this out the hard way when their premiums went up after downsizing to one car; others, only ever having a single vehicle, might not know they've been overpaying. The absurdity has reached a point where some folks have bought non-running junkers just so they can hold the title and add the car to their policy.

I went through something similar a few months ago with a popular national carrier. Pretty crazy.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #349 on: February 27, 2017, 08:34:37 PM »
any idea how much you guys have spent over the lifetime of the car to maintain it those miles? i wonder if the costs adds up...

We don't do our own repairs or maintenance and have a 2003 Toyota Corolla with 163k miles on it.  DW and I merged our finances 7 years ago and we've put about $3500 total into it since then.  So about $500/year, and that includes getting unlucky with a transmission.