Author Topic: Brag on your MMM high-mileage or old car  (Read 253516 times)

TheFixer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Getting smarter, 1 facepunch at a time
Re: Brag on your MMM high-mileage or old car
« Reply #850 on: February 11, 2020, 08:54:08 AM »
My collection of junk:
1992 LandCruiser FJ80, 254k miles, bought at 252k for $600. No, I didn't drive all those miles. Too bad for the sucka that paid $40k new for a vehicle that gets 14mpg on a good day. It's our trailer tow-er, junk hauler, canoe carrier to the tune of 1-2K mi/year.

2002 VW Golf TDI, 297K now, bought at 70K in 2006 for 10k cash. Yes, at 270k, it did drop a shaft in the manny tranny and it had to rebuild it into another case scavenged for free off the forum. And then at 290k the replacement turbo barfed up a bearing after only 70k of service, and it had to be rebuilt/combined with the OEM turbo for free. And then it was rear ended in traffic, totaled by insurance. Got a $3100 settlement, bought back for $250, went to JY & got good used color matching hatch & bumper& taillights for $175. Spent a day straightening the opening & hanging parts. Made about $275/hr for 9hrs of work.

'New' car: 2013 VW TDI sportwagen, bought at 136k last august for $5900 (cheap), but immediately spent $1100 for a new flywheel, timing belt & WP, rear springs & shocks,all maintenance fluids & filters. Wife's new commuter car, though it gets only 44MPG vs 48 for the '01. The safety & comfort improvements are worth the mileage hit.

In the springtime, I will sell the 02 TDI for $3,000 and a classic car for $15,000, to free up garage & brain space. Too much rolling stock here now.

iluvzbeach

• Bristles
« Reply #851 on: March 05, 2020, 09:59:45 PM »
Today marks 15 years since I bought our 2005 Honda Pilot and brought her home. It was not at all a mustachian purchase, but damn she’s been a most excellent car. Just over 197K miles and she still has never had a mechanical breakdown. We’ve kept up on the scheduled maintenance and the extent of any repairs includes two power window motors and one “O” ring related to the power steering, all done by my DH.

She is our only car and we plan to keep her until something major happens.

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #852 on: March 10, 2020, 12:43:33 PM »
A couple months ago, my daily driver technically became a classic by hitting the 25-year-old mark.  Runs fantastic, although the motor mounts seriously need replacing.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #853 on: March 10, 2020, 08:07:51 PM »
I said goodbye to our 1999 Camry last weekend. It served us very well the last 6 years. I traded it in on a 2020 Toyota Corolla hatchback. The corolla is basically one of the most reliable vehicles ever made, and should last us a very long time.

The Corolla hatchback and 4Runner (which we also have) are one of the very few Toyota models still manufactured in Japan. Working in the quality field and learning a considerable amount about Toyota’s Lean Manufacturing Quality System, which has set the precedent for quality for many other companies, has really sold me. While the plants in Mexico, US, and Canada, still follow the same Lean philosophies, the Japanese culture has a sense of respect and responsibilities embedded deep within many, which I believe the models still manufactured in Japan are a notch above the rest in terms of quality.

tommy murph

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #854 on: March 13, 2020, 11:51:45 PM »
We have a '99 civic at like 165k and a 2011 prius at about 110k. Yea baby!

SheepDog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #855 on: March 21, 2020, 11:27:23 PM »
We have an 07 Chevy Cobalt with 185k miles.  Runs good, needs some front end work. 
Also have an 04 Ford Ranger.  Truck was free to me, cost about 5k to get running again and in like new condition.  111k miles currently.

Wife's 07 Cobalt with 195k miles died last week.  Timing chain broke and killed the rest of the engine.  Rather than try to find a replacement engine, we bought a 09 Ford Fusion from wife's sister for $2500.  It has 175k miles on it and if we can get it to 200k miles, we will be happy.