Author Topic: Brag on your MMM high-mileage or old car  (Read 404075 times)

johndoe

• Stubble
Re: Brag on your MMM high-mileage or old car
« Reply #1000 on: December 24, 2022, 06:38:59 AM »
Checking in with winter weather - sometimes you wonder just how reliable your car is and if you want to risk breaking down when the windchill is -30.  Or when you get a brand new battery and it struggles to turn over after sitting outside overnight.

Significant other and I were planning a 250 mile trip to see family at holidays. First we worried about forecast snow amounts, then got a flat tire day before trip! Spent hours worried about safety of trip/car/etc.  Ugh, winter trips just aren't worth it.  I'm going to try to convince my better half to have a "no winter trips" policy.  Why do people insist on seeing each other for Christmas?

When that car had issues, a bummer was that i wouldnt even consider taking my car that distance.  Maybe my frugality needs to be toned down a little.  On the other hand, if I could replace in-person visits with phone calls...

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
« Reply #1001 on: December 24, 2022, 07:01:13 AM »
265,000 miles on the 4Runner. 252,000 in the Highlander.

I love Toyota's.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1002 on: December 24, 2022, 08:47:54 AM »
Checking in with winter weather - sometimes you wonder just how reliable your car is and if you want to risk breaking down when the windchill is -30.  Or when you get a brand new battery and it struggles to turn over after sitting outside overnight.

Significant other and I were planning a 250 mile trip to see family at holidays. First we worried about forecast snow amounts, then got a flat tire day before trip! Spent hours worried about safety of trip/car/etc.  Ugh, winter trips just aren't worth it.  I'm going to try to convince my better half to have a "no winter trips" policy.  Why do people insist on seeing each other for Christmas?

When that car had issues, a bummer was that i wouldnt even consider taking my car that distance.  Maybe my frugality needs to be toned down a little.  On the other hand, if I could replace in-person visits with phone calls...

Sounds like the perfect scenario where renting a newer car through a car rental agency would come in handy.

weebs

• Stubble
« Reply #1003 on: January 04, 2023, 09:03:24 AM »
265,000 miles on the 4Runner. 252,000 in the Highlander.

I love Toyota's.

Nice!  We have a 2016 Toyota 4Runner that we will drive until the wheels fall off.  It has ~46K miles on it now and we drive it ~7K miles a year, so it may outlive me.

ColoAndy

• Stubble
« Reply #1004 on: January 09, 2023, 08:20:22 AM »
2012 Honda Accord at 127k trouble free miles.  Wife's 2015 Honda CRV sitting at 96k.

stacheasaurus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1005 on: January 09, 2023, 09:30:00 AM »
2012 Honda Accord at 127k trouble free miles.  Wife's 2015 Honda CRV sitting at 96k.

2013 accord 6MT at 125k, not quite trouble free miles though .  AC compressor needed to be replaced, as well as starter.  Regular maintenance otherwise. Hopefully just breaking it in

londonbanker

• Bristles
« Reply #1006 on: January 13, 2023, 05:48:44 PM »
One of my old land rovers managed to get over 150k miles since it left the factory in 1966

chasingsnow

• Bristles
« Reply #1007 on: January 13, 2023, 09:34:37 PM »
Currently have a 2002 Mazda B3000 (Ford Ranger) that is still running well at 200k kilometres. We have been given our in laws 2019 CRV this spring though and I am pleasantly surprised at the amount Honda comes up in this thread.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1008 on: January 13, 2023, 10:08:30 PM »
This story is courtesy of Mr. Dicey. One of his buddies had a 2001 Toyota Tacoma. He passed it on to his son. The truck now has 495k miles on it. The son took post-college job in Florida. He packed his stuff in the truck and drove from the Bay Area. He and his dog arrived safely and he started the new job. A few days later, the truck broke down on his way to work. He found a nearby shop and they replaced the ORIGINAL fuel pump for him in a couple of hours and got him on his way. He would have fixed it himself, but he didn't have any tools with him.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that young man sees this post one day.

PS - That is not a typo. Four hundred and ninety five thousand miles on the original fuel pump.

chasingsnow

• Bristles
« Reply #1009 on: January 13, 2023, 10:39:42 PM »
This story is courtesy of Mr. Dicey. One of his buddies had a 2001 Toyota Tacoma. He passed it on to his son. The truck now has 495k miles on it. The son took post-college job in Florida. He packed his stuff in the truck and drove from the Bay Area. He and his dog arrived safely and he started the new job. A few days later, the truck broke down on his way to work. He found a nearby shop and they replaced the ORIGINAL fuel pump for him in a couple of hours and got him on his way. He would have fixed it himself, but he didn't have any tools with him.

PS - That is not a typo. Four hundred and ninety five thousand miles on the original fuel pump.

I honestly believe it Tacoma's run FOREVER and most Toyotas in general. The only knock is how high the cost is for a used one in British Columbia its commonly referred to as the "tacoma tax" because people ask so much for used cars that it is hardly ever a reasonable option to buy used compared to other trucks.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1010 on: January 14, 2023, 06:06:22 AM »

I honestly believe it Tacoma's run FOREVER and most Toyotas in general. The only knock is how high the cost is for a used one in British Columbia its commonly referred to as the "tacoma tax" because people ask so much for used cars that it is hardly ever a reasonable option to buy used compared to other trucks.
There are definitely cases where buying new and taking great care of a vehicle for many years is the most efficient way to go. It helps to start by buying a solid vehicle.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1011 on: January 14, 2023, 03:30:31 PM »

There are definitely cases where buying new and taking great care of a vehicle for many years is the most efficient way to go. It helps to start by buying a solid vehicle.

I have one of those 1st gen Tacomas.   I bought it new 19 years ago and it has 290,000 km.    It's been pretty reliable, but corrosion's a bit of a problem in eastern Ontario.   I'm debating replacing it though.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1012 on: January 14, 2023, 04:10:31 PM »

I have one of those 1st gen Tacomas.   I bought it new 19 years ago and it has 290,000 km.    It's been pretty reliable, but corrosion's a bit of a problem in eastern Ontario.   I'm debating replacing it though.

Corrosion and Collision are by far the top two killers of Toyotas.  I often see Tacoma trucks around here with 300-400k on them being advertised still in the 5 figures.  Toyotas are just unbelievably reliable when taken care of, and even when something goes wrong, it’s hard to mechanically total a vehicle when it retains so much value. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1013 on: January 14, 2023, 04:16:50 PM »
We have a 1999 Lexus SUV, with about 300k miles on it. The thing is a tank. My husband takes exceptionally good care of it.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1014 on: January 14, 2023, 05:23:12 PM »

That's impressive. My '99 Tacoma lost its fuel pump around 280k miles - thankfully it was polite enough to do it while in my driveway.

chowdan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1015 on: January 18, 2023, 12:12:37 PM »
Last car was a 1996 Toyota 4Runner - bought it for $7,000 in 2017 with 210,000 miles on it. Zero leaks, zero issues with it. It had bit tires, and a lift kit. Great for what we were planning to do.

2017 i put roughly 50,000 miles on it with my wife while we lived out of it traveling through US and Mexico. Got back to Seattle and put an additional 8k-10k miles on it roughly. It was right around the 260-270k mile marker when a spark plug blew out of the cylinder head(with such force it dented the hood). Completely stripped the threads. Had a helicoil put in and traded the vehicle(due to not being able to utilize the vehicle for what it should be used for) to a friend who had a 2003(or maybe its a 06) Toyota Camry - base model - hand crank windows. It was a direct swap so i didn't pay squat for it and it was claimed as a "gift" so no taxes due. The Camry had 205,000 miles on it and since the swap in 2020 we have just rolled over 245,000 miles. It needs some work - struts and shocks, rear brakes are coming due, new fuel injectors, catalytic converter is possibly going bad(zero symptoms of one that is bad other than fault code that is generalized and its the last thing i haven't replaced) but overall the vehicle has been running great gets great gas mileage and is damn reliable.

I will likely always own older cars especially if they are Toyotas - regardless of the fact that buying new and holding on to this age may end up being cheaper. Most of these older cars will get shipped off to 3rd world countries where they roll the odometer anyways so why dont we do it? Just gotta be willing to get your hands dirty to keep costs down.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1016 on: January 19, 2023, 03:40:10 AM »
From the post above:
"...where they roll the odometer anyways so why dont we do it?"

Because it's the wrong thing to do?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1017 on: January 19, 2023, 08:42:58 AM »
From the post above:

I think they mean that they keep driving it until the odometer rolls over, i.e a million miles

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1018 on: January 19, 2023, 10:20:54 AM »
From the post above:

I think they mean that they keep driving it until the odometer rolls over, i.e a million miles
That's a very generous interpretation ;-)

ColoAndy

• Stubble
« Reply #1019 on: January 27, 2023, 02:54:17 PM »
We have a 1999 Lexus SUV, with about 300k miles on it. The thing is a tank. My husband takes exceptionally good care of it.
Wow. Talk about getting your moneys worth.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1020 on: January 27, 2023, 03:31:09 PM »
Wow. Talk about getting your moneys worth.

Even better when you consider it would probably still sell for excellent money.  I’ve been seeing a lot of Toyota FJ Cruisers that are selling for basically the same money as the same car would have sold for 10 or 12 years ago, but with 100-200k more kms on them, and I’ve seen a lot of older Lexus models, especially the Lexus version of the Land cruiser, going for insane money

mikefromtheuk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1021 on: February 22, 2023, 05:59:43 AM »
My "modern" daily driver will turn 23 in April, I've had it just over 20 years and taken it from 28k miles to the current 192k miles, though I don't do as many miles per year now. The previous one had 273k miles on it when it went off the road, but I still have it in the shed, gradually returning it to roadworthy condition. Despite the general hate for cars, they're a passion of mine, I enjoy restoring and repairing them. That's probably a good thing, as I currently have five, six if you include my Dad's old car.

RetireOrDieTrying

• Stubble
  • Gallivantin' across the US
« Reply #1022 on: March 17, 2023, 09:25:49 PM »
1995 GMC Yukon, 206k miles. Got it for free several years ago. I drive very little, so it's impossible to make an ROI work to buy anything else. I'm happy driving this thing until it returns to the dust whence it came. I take care of it, and nobody cares what I drive.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1023 on: March 22, 2023, 06:48:33 PM »
Just turned 304,001 miles on the daily driver, but also found serious rust damage hidden behind one of the wheel liners.  During normal times I'd probably be trading it in for another car, but car prices are still way high and selection very poor.  Might be worth another round of sheet metal work to repair it.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1024 on: March 22, 2023, 07:09:49 PM »
225K on Lexus LS400. Paint is like new since it is garaged all the time.  Seats need reupholstered but I am going to look into some fitted seat covers instead -- should look pretty decent.  Drives like a dream.  Umm, I saw a youtube video of one that has lasted 1M miles on same untouched engine.  Originally sold for $65k, I bought for $5k in 2011.  The A/C still works believe it or not -- never been recharged.

RetireOrDieTrying

• Stubble
« Reply #1025 on: March 23, 2023, 09:40:51 AM »
225K on Lexus LS400. Paint is like new since it is garaged all the time.  Seats need reupholstered but I am going to look into some fitted seat covers instead -- should look pretty decent.  Drives like a dream.  Umm, I saw a youtube video of one that has lasted 1M miles on same untouched engine.  Originally sold for $65k, I bought for $5k in 2011.  The A/C still works believe it or not -- never been recharged.

Great find, and great value. Those were incredibly good cars.

ontheheel

• Stubble
« Reply #1026 on: June 05, 2023, 09:23:29 AM »
Having been out of the country for the past seven months, my 1999 Jeep has been sitting in the driveway. It's got about 201k miles on it, and I'm sure every single seal has dried out and leaking. I gave it an oil change before I left, filled the gas tank, and put fuel stabilizer in it. I hooked it up to a trickle charger, and asked my wife to start it up once a week and let it run for about 15 minutes, but it got unplugged almost immediately and never plugged back in, and she never started it once, although a couple of neighbors did borrow it to jump the battery and drive it around on a couple of different occasions, the most recent being just a couple of days ago.

I get home tomorrow, so we'll see what kind of condition it's in.

ontheheel

• Stubble
« Reply #1027 on: June 10, 2023, 08:27:37 PM »
...aaaand that battery is toast. Charged it all night and couldn't get it to turn the starter at all. I don't remember when I bought it, but it might still be under warranty.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1028 on: June 10, 2023, 09:49:25 PM »
...aaaand that battery is toast. Charged it all night and couldn't get it to turn the starter at all. I don't remember when I bought it, but it might still be under warranty.

It might not be toast.  When a car battery gets that low, the charger often can’t get it to take a charge, but if you have another car battery with a good charge you can use, connect it in parallel to the bad battery with a set of jumper cables, and hook the charger to one of them, often it will allow the dead battery to recharge.  I have a 95 Tercel that I drive very infrequently as a backup car, as in I’ll put in on the road for a few months every couple years or so, and I often won’t be able to charge the battery unless I do that trick. 

ontheheel

• Stubble
« Reply #1029 on: June 11, 2023, 06:09:00 PM »
Interesting. How long do you leave it connected to the jumper battery before disconnecting?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1030 on: June 11, 2023, 06:12:43 PM »
We now own two 2006 Honda Odysseys, one with 225k miles, the other with about 80k.  Since we live in the midwest and winter can be really rough on bodywork, I bought a Woolwax undercoating kit and spent a couple hours yesterday under the newer one, liberally coating anything that looked slightly rusty (or potentially rusty) with a nice coat of Woolwax.  Here's hoping I can hold the rust off longer this time...

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1031 on: June 11, 2023, 06:37:33 PM »
Interesting. How long do you leave it connected to the jumper battery before disconnecting?

For a full charge, like overnight, with both batteries connected to a 12v car battery charger

bookish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1032 on: June 13, 2023, 09:44:43 AM »
Honda Accord: 224,000
Honda Accord2: 180,000
Honda Odyssey: 364,439

Yeah, we love our Hondas.

RetireOrDieTrying

• Stubble
« Reply #1033 on: June 13, 2023, 10:58:09 AM »
Honda Accord: 224,000
Honda Accord2: 180,000
Honda Odyssey: 364,439

Yeah, we love our Hondas.

As well you should. Talk about enduring value.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #1034 on: June 13, 2023, 12:31:58 PM »
It just dawned on me that the thread title says "or old", not just "high-mileage"!

At thirteen years, my car (VW CC, a sedan) is old by consumerism's standards. It's a youngster on this thread, but age is its only hope to qualify. At 102,000 miles total and with average miles per year dropping, it will never be high mileage by this thread's standards.

Private party market value of $3500 to $4,000 might be high-ish for this thread, but far cheaper than a five year old vehicle. Super high safety record as well, last I checked (fatalities for this model are less than 1/3 of an average sedan's). MMMish, maybe?

Anyway, congrats to the many cool examples on this classic thread.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1035 on: June 13, 2023, 01:17:51 PM »
My 2011 RAV4 just crossed 150k mi a week or to ago. Putting new tires on tomorrow.

We've been racking up miles lately, driving to & from the new house on weekends as we continue to fix it up.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1036 on: June 13, 2023, 01:51:38 PM »
We bought our 2005 Corolla new.  Other than a new muffler (thanks Ontario's salty roads in winter) it hasn't really needed any repairs or had any real problems.  (My son broke the rear door handle, but I was able to replace that for 40$ and a few hours of swearing in the garage.)

I'm hoping to get another ten plus years out of it.  :P