Author Topic: Bought my first rental property!  (Read 5032 times)

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
Bought my first rental property!
« on: August 19, 2016, 08:59:50 AM »
Never thought I'd be a homeowner so soon but I ended up buying a condo for a sweet deal! Closing will be about a month from now. It's 5 miles from a busy college town and after running the numbers, it'll be generating $300/month positive cashflow + I'll be living there for free.

I might make a journal since I'm doing most of the repairs myself.

All of this wouldn't be possible without MMM and these forums. If I can do it then so can you!

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
Re: Bought my first rental property!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 10:44:06 AM »
Congratulations!

At 22 years, The mustache is strong in you ....

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 10:49:55 AM »
Never thought I'd be a homeowner so soon but I ended up buying a condo for a sweet deal! Closing will be about a month from now. It's 5 miles from a busy college town and after running the numbers, it'll be generating $300/month positive cashflow + I'll be living there for free.
So, roommate situation?

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 11:25:15 AM »
So, roommate situation?

Yeah, roommate situation. There's a finished basement that I'm turning into a studio apartment where I will live and then the upstairs 2 bedrooms will be rented.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 11:49:16 AM »
Condos are a lot different than houses.  Did you check with the HOA to see if the basement conversion is permitted under the CC&R's?  Does the City or County (zoning and permitting authority) permit you to build out a basement apartment?  Will there be enough parking to meet the requirements?  Check these issues out now if you have not.  You don't want to buy a property that you cannot afford if you can't do the conversion.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 12:02:43 PM »
Condos are a lot different than houses.  Did you check with the HOA to see if the basement conversion is permitted under the CC&R's?  Does the City or County (zoning and permitting authority) permit you to build out a basement apartment?  Will there be enough parking to meet the requirements?  Check these issues out now if you have not.  You don't want to buy a property that you cannot afford if you can't do the conversion.

Thank you, these are good questions to ask. I'm getting the bylaws soon and I have 5 days to back out of the deal for any reason.

I guess the way I phrased it is that the basement would be a whole separate apartment. That's not the case. Everything is attached and it'd just be a separate room I'd live in. It's just secluded from the upstairs with its own bathroom so it's practically functioning as its own apartment. In addition, I can still afford the property with 1 roommate. It'd just cost me $300/month to live there and there wouldn't be positive cash flow. 

Does that make sense?

VladTheImpaler

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 08:55:05 PM »
How much is the down payment?

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 08:56:49 PM »
Me too! House buying twins?
(I bought my first investment property today!!!)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 11:05:13 PM »
Just thinking about the HOA and building permit situation.

Assuming the worst case and you can't do a basement conversion, one option might be to do the conversion in such a way that you could easily remove it some years down the road. If your not too concerned and just want a functional bathroom then you don't have to finish it, just be prepared to rip it out when you sell the place.

If say you invested $1000 and you make say $300/month.. well that to me would be worth the risk of being found out.

I also have a visceral hatred of HOA's..:)

Just a thought.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 02:03:00 AM »
It's addicting. Good luck!

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 06:28:52 AM »

Assuming the worst case and you can't do a basement conversion, one option might be to do the conversion in such a way that you could easily remove it some years down the road. If your not too concerned and just want a functional bathroom then you don't have to finish it, just be prepared to rip it out when you sell the place.

If say you invested $1000 and you make say $300/month.. well that to me would be worth the risk of being found out.

Just a thought.

I also absolutely despise HOA's. I bought my condo mainly because there isn't a HOA in this neighborhood. I can do whatever I want to my house, which is pretty freeing. I rented my second bedroom out for years; there's nothing anyone can do about it, which I love.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 03:46:26 AM »
Congrats!  Good luck on everything going smoothly with the closing.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 07:35:07 AM »
How much is the down payment?

The down payment is $16,800.

Me too! House buying twins?
(I bought my first investment property today!!!)
Yayaya congrats!!!

Just a thought.
Unless the association has bylaws saying someone can't live in the basement and it's up to fire code standards, I'll be living in there. Otherwise it'll be a super cool mancave/bonus room :)
The bathroom is already there, it just needs a little bit of work.

Unstoppable

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 01:32:16 PM »
Congratulations, I started out with the house purchase and roommate situation at 24. The girlfriend (then wife) and I had 9 houses within 8 or so years, with full time jobs.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 01:44:13 PM »
Congratulations, I started out with the house purchase and roommate situation at 24. The girlfriend (then wife) and I had 9 houses within 8 or so years, with full time jobs.

That's awesome, I'm really interested in building a solid real estate portfolio. Average of 1 house per year is reasonable?

Unstoppable

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 01:59:58 PM »
That's awesome, I'm really interested in building a solid real estate portfolio. Average of 1 house per year is reasonable?

Absolutely. To be honest, it was actually more like 3 one year, two years of nothing due to life changes or upgrading a property, etc.

We have held as many as 9 at one time, sold four off last year (after rehabbing all four) and are doing a rehab with the proceeds on a A class single family as we speak.

You can accomplish way more than you think, with the proper systems and procedures.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!