Author Topic: Blackout curtains: $5  (Read 4475 times)

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
Blackout curtains: $5
« on: November 20, 2013, 10:36:40 PM »
I moved a few weeks ago and really been missing the lighting at my old place.  When I removed my old curtain it was filthy and moldy.. yuck!  I decided not to bring it in to my new home.  So.. that left me looking for something new.  I ended up at the "Indoor Gardening" store, and bought some Panda Film.  If you don't know, this is the stuff that indoor gardeners to stop light from getting in, and it clocks 100% of the light.  It's white on one side, and black on the other, and comes in rolls 10 feet wide.

I asked for 5 feet, but he gave me 10 and only charged me for 5.  This is great!  My window is only about 3-4 feet tall, so I was able to double the plastic over, giving a clean white appearance on both sides.  I put it up with a tiny bit of white duct tape, and upon a quick test is is blocking ALL the light!

I couldn't be happier!  Just the other night I read about some $300 black out windows.. yuck!

Left

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Blackout curtains: $5
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 01:45:36 AM »
hm I used tin foil :S and normal curtains covering it... looks horrible but it works great. I'll look into this panda film, have to find a place locally that carries it, seems like shipping online is a lot for the weight of it

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 06:26:39 AM »
hm I used tin foil :S and normal curtains covering it... looks horrible but it works great.

I've seen that! You've solved a mystery for me because I never knew what the home owners were doing!

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 06:29:47 AM »
Why?   To me the more light the better. 

FitStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 11:28:30 AM »
Why?   To me the more light the better.
A few reasons:

1)  Lighting control for projector/home theater
2)  Many light barriers double as a form of insulation for your windows
3)  Blocking artificial light at night (street lights etc.)
4)  Preventing premature fading of interior fabrics
5)  You're a vampire ;-)

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 01:13:48 PM »
I work night shift, sleep during the day :D

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 06:19:12 PM »
Around here, the answer is "meth lab" and the authorites would be paying a visit to see if they can smell it. Tinfoil is not the recommended method hereabouts for that reason.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »
Around here, the answer is "meth lab" and the authorites would be paying a visit to see if they can smell it. Tinfoil is not the recommended method hereabouts for that reason.

Yes!  It is the least expensive, most accessible option.  It can look tacky and may be banned in some places "apartments, condos".  This is a case where it may be worth it to spend a (very!) few bucks.