Author Topic: Biking to work...in work clothes!  (Read 6848 times)

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
Biking to work...in work clothes!
« on: March 18, 2015, 06:54:59 AM »
Lately I've been riding my bike to work more often (including every day this week). I've found that I'm getting quicker at it, which is awesome (my best is now about 27-28 minutes for 7.5km).

Most of the time I'd take a change of clothes in and change into work clothes once I arrived at work. This week I've started just riding in my work clothes (and keep a can of deodorant in my desk at work if needed). It's just easier without having to go through the added hassle of changing again at work. I've been trying to ride at 80% to avoid building up a sweat.

Fortunately my commute isn't that hilly (a few light inclines), and the weather is starting to cool down.

I'd considered converting my bike to electric, but then again, isn't Mustachianism about learning to enjoy doing things the hard way? :)

Here's hoping that I can build my fitness (and improve my speed) throughout the cooler months!

My public transport pass hasn't seen as much use lately. I don't think it'll be renewed once it expires.

rocketman48097

• Stubble
Re: Biking to work...in work clothes!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 07:41:15 AM »
I live in the US and ride in my work clothes all the time.  It's getting hotter here, but it's cooler in the morning and for a work commute, that's all that counts.

Oh, and congratulations.  Don't go electric, that isn't allowed for a beginner.  Get your fitness level up instead.  After many many years, then I will allow you to go electric. 

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 07:59:19 AM »
Yup, I do this on all but the hottest days of the summer (and the coldest days of the winter, when I like to wear a few more technical layers underneath everything). Today I only rode halfway to work but I'm wearing a lined wool skirt and tights and a blouse from Banana Republic. We have a shower and changing facilities at work but I just find it much easier to ride in the clothes I'll wear all day.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 08:05:34 AM »
We had a president at our company who biked to work in suits. He would put rubber bands around his pants legs to keep them  from getting into the gears.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 09:52:02 AM »
I change at work, but will ride in my skirts during the summer. I hate buying jeans and I found that commuting kills them faster, so its more about preservation than sweat. 

Regulatorr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 01:14:46 PM »
I change at work, but will ride in my skirts during the summer. I hate buying jeans and I found that commuting kills them faster, so its more about preservation than sweat.

What do you recommend wearing for bike commuters besides jeans?

jmusic

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 01:22:10 PM »

What do you recommend wearing for bike commuters besides jeans?

I'm a guy, but I'm gonna try some Khakis that Under Armor of all places sells.  The reviewers say they're as comfortable as sweat pants and breathe well. 

Bonus: I found them through the Southwest Rapid Rewards store and the purchase is 8points/dollar.  I'm trying to get the last 5k points for Companion Pass.  Not a frugal purchase, but I haven't bought any clothes at all in at least 4 months...

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 02:03:27 PM »
I wear leggings personally :-)

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 02:13:01 PM »
My boyfriend is a big fan of Levi's Commuter jeans/pants. They have some reinforcement at the crotch and when you roll up the cuffs there's reflective tape on the seams.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 02:25:40 PM »
We had a president at our company who biked to work in suits. He would put rubber bands around his pants legs to keep them  from getting into the gears.

I just stuff my pants in my socks...

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 02:34:54 PM »

I find I sweat profusely around my ankles when I do that.

jmusic

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 03:06:38 PM »

I find I sweat profusely around my ankles when I do that.

Yup.  BTDT.

otter

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 09:16:31 PM »
The cost may be a bit much for some of you, but I love Swrve pants for riding. I ride around 5k miles per year in any and all weather (I live in Chicago) and am sort of a power user of bike stuff. I got the first pair when I found them on sale at an LBS, and since acquired four more, in two weights and various colors. I don't mind riding in jeans but these are the most comfortable pants I have for riding. They look like normal pants until you look closely (e.g. a slight dart in the knees, reflective belt loops), but have plenty of nice little features designed for cycling. I wear them to work all the time, and they have also become my favorite travel pants. I also wear them (in cool-enough weather) for long recreational rides, and when I rode Barry-Roubaix last year I was surely the only guy riding in the same clothes he had worn to work the day before (I can get away with wearing my Ibex merino tops to work.)

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 07:36:40 AM »
Also does anyone want to share their tips for biking in skirts? Here are mine:

1) with a knee-length a-line type skirt, if it's not heavy enough to stay down on its own (a lot of my wool skirts are) clip a binder clip to the front. The extra weight will mostly stop it from flying up.
2) with miniskirts just wear tights or very nice underwear
3) with long or full skirts, use a rubber band to gather up a bunch of fabric in the front so that it doesn't get caught in your chain or spokes. The resulting bunch of fabric will also weight down the skirt, just like the binder clip.

I've tried the penny in your pants method but like my ways better.

tlars699

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 09:00:43 AM »
Also does anyone want to share their tips for biking in skirts? Here are mine:

1) with a knee-length a-line type skirt, if it's not heavy enough to stay down on its own (a lot of my wool skirts are) clip a binder clip to the front. The extra weight will mostly stop it from flying up.
2) with miniskirts just wear tights or very nice underwear
3) with long or full skirts, use a rubber band to gather up a bunch of fabric in the front so that it doesn't get caught in your chain or spokes. The resulting bunch of fabric will also weight down the skirt, just like the binder clip.

I've tried the penny in your pants method but like my ways better.

Or you could try the legging method- keeps your skirts clean in the pack, and then when you get there, take of the helmet and floop! over you head with some minor adjusments.
Would also mask issues from driving by/through puddles.
However, I think your methods would work well for riding in dresses.

rocketman48097

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 09:08:59 AM »

Me too

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2015, 05:00:27 PM »

I actually find that riding in jeans wears through them pretty quickly (I'm just ready to throw out a pair of jeans), yet my work slacks cope just fine. Funny that.

I'm still riding in work clothes, although I should probably take a change of clothes with me so riding home on hot days (it's summer here) is a bit more pleasant. The mornings are generally cooler so riding in isn't an issue in summer.

Maybe when the really hot days are forecast I should bring a change of clothes for the commute home.

I've had no real issues with trouser legs being caught in the chain, weirdly.

Does anyone have suggestions as to appropriate shoes? I've been in the habit of riding in sneakers and changing to my work shoes (normal leather shoes) upon arriving at work. The work shoes aren't ideal for riding a bike, soles are too slippery. I had a pair of skate shoes too, but they were terrible for riding a bike.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 05:02:39 PM by alsoknownasDean »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2015, 05:26:29 PM »
My ride is 22 km each way with one decent climb . . . and I have transitioned from wearing regular clothes to full on spandex and showering at work.  Not only am I a hell of a lot faster now (about 40 minutes on a good day), but it's much more comfortable.  At some point there is a trade-off between going quickly and the suitability of wearing regular clothing.

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 11:11:30 AM »
I would dislike spending my working day in dripping wet clothes from riding in the rain.  I wear rain gear over shorts/athletic t shirt, and have dry clothes with me in panniers for when I get to work.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 01:26:50 AM »
Also does anyone want to share their tips for biking in skirts?
I just flash the fuck out of everyone. You can't see my vag anyway - the bike seat's in the way. So... no issue! haha.

Also: I ride in work clothes - shorts & a polo shirt. Nice & easy. There's only 50 wet days a year (and they're mainly in summer when I don't work), so I take a taxi if it's raining.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 01:28:21 AM by Nudelkopf »

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2015, 02:11:56 AM »
Bike pants under the skirt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2015, 04:33:43 AM »
There were a few really rainy days in winter where I decided to take the tram, I'll admit :)

Riding in 37C heat the other day was a slightly different challenge.