Author Topic: Bikenstein - Parts list of what you've worn out and replaced  (Read 2434 times)

moof

• Pencil Stache
Bikenstein - Parts list of what you've worn out and replaced
« on: August 15, 2017, 11:43:53 AM »
Me:
2011 29er bike I spent too much on now with almost 6k miles on it:
3 tires ($105)
1 rear wheel, old one kept having spokes loosen and break, maddening ($50, plus $75 of spokes and truing before giving up on the original)
Half dozen sets of brake pads (have not tracked well) ($120)
Rear hydraulic brake assembly ($80)
2 bottom brackets ($70)
1 set of pedals ($50)
Large and medium front chain rings ($40)
2 cassettes ($50)
3 chains ($60)
1 Derailleur ($45)
1 seat ($0, had leftover from old bike)
1 front shock rebuild ($70)
Probably a half dozen tubes ($40)
Riser handle bar and shorter stem widget to get the fit better ($40)

So about $900 in parts on top of the original $1k bike, not counting several hundred on a few rounds of rain gear, fenders, lube, tools, pumps, etc.

I've heard the claim that biking is $0.05/mile.  I am way off from that at roughly $0.40/mile if you assume my thrashed jalopy of a bike has minimal residual value at this point.  Next bike will definitely be chosen for commuting exclusively instead of with aspirational trail riding that will never happen in mind.

sw1tch

• Bristles
Re: Bikenstein - Parts list of what you've worn out and replaced
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 12:15:39 PM »
I haven't spent nearly as much as you have on anything.  I've got ~ 4,160 miles on the bike that I bought for $500 new about a decade ago.

- 3 tubes (~ $4-$5 each, I'll go with $15). This was before I realized (and soon learned) I could just patch my old tubes.
- Tube patch kit ($4)
- 2 sets of brake pads ($10)
- Thornbuster tire liners ($12)
- Chain Lube ($12)
- New cables ($10)
- Rear rack ($15)
- Cheap mtb fenders ($10)
- Tire irons, chain removal tool ($15)

I'm still on original everything else (both derailleurs, bottom bracket, chain, cassette, tires).  If I still have this bike, I'm just going to ride out this chain and replace it at the same time as the rear cassette.  So, with the above I've spent ~$103; there's probably other things that I've forgotten, so maybe an extra $20-$30.

Not too bad at all.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 05:29:41 PM »
I have a Cigna mountain bike that I got for free.

Spent $100 on 2 new tires and tubes because the tires were mostly rotted. I got a bike lock for $10, phone holder for $12.

It needs a brake job but I don't know how to do that yet.

So $122 total. I don't ride enough to invest in a better bike yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pennyhandlebar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 12:52:16 AM »
I have a very old-school Hoodoo steel hardtail. I have about 12,000 miles on it - 2,000 miles of touring, and about 10k miles of commuting (10 years at roughly 100 miles a month, so I may be underestimating). I didn't keep receipts, but here's what I've done to it:
-new back wheel (the original wheels were nothing special; I switched to a 32-spoke wheel to address frequent cracked spokes when touring)
-New front wheel (I wore through the rim with my brakes!)
-New seat (I wore one out, I must be a hardass)
-I am on my 3rd drivetrain (chain, cassette, chainrings) because I suck at maintenance
-I think I replaced the shifters once
-Have been through a number of brake pads
-Full-coverage fenders for rain commuting
-Lights
-My Blackburn rack was moved from my last bike and must be approaching 30 years old...they are built to last!

If I had to do the math, I would guess I might have about $800 into it in parts and labor (no, I don't do my own work, facepunch please), over and above the original purchase. Getting closer to the $.05/mile point, but not there yet. 

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 05:13:06 PM »
I believe a lot of my fast wear is our wet winters here in Oregon along with 95% bike commuting throughout the winter.  I regularly get to home/work covered in a thick layer of road grit despite my fenders, enough to warrant daily hose sessions before I let myself or my bike inside.  The options for 29'er fenders are grim, which will disqualify another 29'er as a commuter bike in the future.  I jalopied a better fender solution this spring just in time for the weather to get good, but the couple semi-wet rides were night and day better than before.  My commute has a couple decent hills which also speeds up drive train wear a fair bit.

I also put on a better grade bottom bracket after two in a row did not last even 3000 miles.  The new one is supposed to be much better sealed up, but cost $10 more, plus another $10 for the tool to install it myself this time.

powskier

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 01:54:46 AM »
5 or 6 Cassettes, 7 or 8 chains, many brake pads, 6 tires, many tubes, 2 wheels, 3x handlebar wrap, 1 derailleur.

Since going tubeless no longer go trough tubes or patch kits or have flats, just buy a few bucks worth of sealant every 6 months.

Only broke the wheels( high speed big rock hit) and derailleur, all the rest is normal wear.

Capt j-rod

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 07:20:56 AM »
It can't be calculated, but be sure to consider the savings from being healthier and happier.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 08:10:27 AM »
I've got two bikes.  My summer bike is ridden March to mid-December, and my winter bike is ridden December to March (and particularly rainy days during the summer., and when I'm trying to fix something on my road bike during the summer).  This is after about six or seven years of an awful lot of mileage (have been bringing my weekly average up over the last three years, and now it's a bit over 200km/wk):

Winter bike:
- 1x Saddle (snapped a rail when bike flipped in car crash)
- 1x bottle cage (somehow also damaged in car crash)
- 1x front derailleur (salt)
- 1x rear derailleur (salt)
- 1x light (I think this was due to a particularly big pot hole in the middle of a very dark morning commute)
- 1x set tires Front/Rear
- 1x Rear wheel (bike came with a 32 spoke rear wheel, which was just not up to carrying my weight with winter clothing and panniers for more than a year)
- 10x spokes (9 rear wheel, 1 front wheel and counting)
- 4x sets of brake pads (slushy/wet conditions)
- 2x full replacement of bearings and grease in front/rear hubs
- 2x cassettes
- 5x chain
- 1x Handlebars/2x shifters/2x brake levers/1x stem (converted flat bar bike over to drop bars - fuck flat bars in the winter winds).
- 1x Pedals (salt completely killed the bearings on my first pair of studded flats and they weren't serviceable)
- 1x Bar tape (best not to think how dirty the black tape actually is)
- 1x set of fenders (ok, not technically unusuable . . . but they're falling apart and need to be replaced soon so they're on the radar)
- 2x full cable housing replacement
- 4x brake/shifter cable replacement

Summer bike:
- 1x Chainring (worn enough that it started slipping under pressure)
- 2x Cassette (worn)
- 5x Chain (worn)
- 3x bar tape (I find that the red stuff I like on this bike doesn't last more than a year before it gets pretty gross looking)
- 1x Pedals (studded flats -> clipless)
- 15x spokes (old rear wheel sucked)
- 1x full wheelset (my old wheelset just wasn't built very well, and I was regularly replacing broken spokes.  I tensioned the new one properly, and haven't broken a spoke or had them go out of true in more than 12k km)
- 2x set of brake pads
- 1x saddle (comfort - narrow and hard)
- 1x handlebar (comfort - 44 cm shallow drop ergo bars -> 40 cm traditional bend traditional drop)
- 1x stem (comfort - longer)
- 2x sets of tires front/back
- 1x full cable housing replacement
- 2x brake/shifter cable replacement

I do all the repairs myself, so the cost is not too bad . . . but it's probably outpaced the price of the bikes a couple times over.