Author Topic: Bike to Work Week!  (Read 4908 times)

ShavenLlama

• Stubble
Bike to Work Week!
« on: May 18, 2012, 08:58:28 AM »
So I was just informed that this month is Bike to Work Month, this week is Bike to Work Week, and TODAY is National Ride Your Bike To Work Day! Good thing I haven't left the house yet!

[url]http://www.scpr.org/blogs/environment/2012/05/10/6069/la-cyclists-ride-free-bike-work-day//url]

My husband told me to take a picture of my ride and upload it to the local NPR affiliate. After not looking very hard through the above link, I couldn't find where to do it. So I'll do it here, when I get to work!

Anyone else participating in Bike to Work Day/ Week/ Month/ Life? Let's see what your commute looks like!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Bike to Work Week!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 09:01:15 AM »
So I was just informed that this month is Bike to Work Month, this week is Bike to Work Week, and TODAY is National Ride Your Bike To Work Day! Good thing I haven't left the house yet!

[url]http://www.scpr.org/blogs/environment/2012/05/10/6069/la-cyclists-ride-free-bike-work-day//url]

My husband told me to take a picture of my ride and upload it to the local NPR affiliate. After not looking very hard through the above link, I couldn't find where to do it. So I'll do it here, when I get to work!

Anyone else participating in Bike to Work Day/ Week/ Month/ Life? Let's see what your commute looks like!

..it's already Friday.  You sure it can't be next week?  ;)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

sideways8

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 11:34:52 AM »
Darn, too late for me! One of these days I WILL bike to work!! One of these days when I can roll myself out of bed early enough!

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 11:46:47 AM »

..it's already Friday.  You sure it can't be next week?  ;)

Nope its was this week
http://www.bikeleague.org/programs/bikemonth/

jwystup

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 12:33:30 PM »
I was going to post this same thing! I'm currently participating in bike to work LIFE so it doesn't make a difference to me, but I'm glad that this exists.

Not to go too off-topic, but there is an awesome biking (well any outdoor-type cardio) app called Endomondo. I have it on my android phone and I believe it's also available for iOS. The free version is pretty awesome, I grabbed the pro version when it was on sale for 50 cents! It will track your location over gps and track your whole ride (speed, altitiude, etc). I've gotten to the point where for work rides I just log it after, you can save routes on the website so I just use those. But for different rides it's still fun to see where I went and get the speed and everything. It also adds up all of the statistics so you can see how far you've gone this week/month/year/etc.

They also are part of the national bike challenge http://www.endomondo.com/campaign/national/ You can win stuff and make teams and things like that. Anyone up for creating/joining a mustache team?

ShavenLlama

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 02:01:27 PM »

Not a great picture, but I only had the camera strapped to the handlebars with a gorilla pod. This is the Santa Ana River, going past the Pond with the Big A in the distance.

And, I must add, I got to work in under 30 minutes even with the putzing around with the camera! My first ride was a miserable 45+ minutes a few months ago. It's about 5.5 miles.

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 02:08:50 PM »
I'm currently participating in bike to work LIFE so it doesn't make a difference to me

Awesome quote I just may have to use that!

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 02:27:17 PM »
i've been trying to map my route for a while now, with no success. i thought i'd have it ready by today but failed so now i'm going to give it a test run this weekend. i have 23 miles, hilly, with some terrifying freeway entrances/ exits that i'm trying to avoid crossing.

at least bike to work day made me realize that this is a serious possibility for me for at least one day a week or so. at 2-2.5 hours i'm not sure i can swing it more often than that. but i will start with one day next week.

congrats to everyone who rode today; you're setting a fantastic example. i loved seeing all those bikers out there!

stashette

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »
My husband rode his bike every day this past week, and in fact did not drive a car all week.  I only made 3/5 days on bike, but I hope to ride at least 3 more days next week, too.  My town had a large meet up Friday to bike to work with the mayor, and my workplace had free breakfast for people who rode their bikes.  I ride my bike fairly regularly, but it was a nice treat to have some free food at the end!

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 03:17:21 PM »
Its different days/weeks in different locations.

But the entire month is Bike Month.

If you haven't already used a bike for transportation this month, its not too late.  It doesn't have to be work, and it doesn't have to be one a particular day.

I spent my local BTWD supervising a crew of volunteers at the East Bay Area's largest energizer station at Oakland City Hall, where we served free pancakes, gave out over 750 goodie bags, valet parked 250 bikes, provided free tune-ups to several dozen, and signed up almost a hundred new members to the local political bicycle advocacy group.
14 hour day, but totally worth it.

Also, my second ever post as a professional blogger is on Bike To Work Day / Month: http://ecomodder.com/blog/infinity-miles-per-gallon

Scrooge

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 02:23:46 PM »
Fuck this. How about a bike to work year =) I bike to work every single day. Ok, some days I walk or run, but biking is the main thing. Then again, I live 2 kilometers from my work, so it's not exactly a fair contest.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 06:07:37 PM »
2km is fooken nice - I'd love to be in walking distance.

HumanAfterAll

• Stubble
  • Targeting 2021
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 07:33:49 AM »
I commuted 780 miles this month on my electric bike, out of 920 total commute miles.  The other 140 was carpooling one-way with my bike in the car.

Yes, my commute is too far, but it feels good to only drive my car on weekend trips to the mountains!

My average speed on the electric bike is 25mph (cruising at 30mph), which amounts to 32.5 hours this month.  On my normal bike at 15mph average I would have spent 52 hours in the saddle (19.5 hours more than the electric bike). 

I also saved $117 on gas and perhaps $50 on car maintenance.  I haven't included battery amortization on the electric bike but it will be less than the car maintenance. 

Zoom!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!