Author Topic: Bike MS Challenge - 150 miles in 2 days for charity  (Read 1630 times)

Flynlow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Bike MS Challenge - 150 miles in 2 days for charity
« on: August 07, 2014, 06:54:35 PM »
Hi All,

Many people that are further along the path to FI have expressed a desire to increase their volunteering or charitable work, and I thought I'd share one that's important, and encourage the community at large to participate :). 

For the past few years, I've been riding for BikeMS, in the hopes of raising money to fund research into MS and try to find a cure.  They run events all across the country, and I think it embodies many of the traits the Mustachian community value: helping others, giving back, and lots and lots of bike-riding.  This charity also hits home in a personal way, as a loved family member has MS, and I've seen how the new research and advances have improved their quality of life.   

The event I'm participating in is the Virginia ride in September, from Richmond to Williamsburg, but they do many other events across the country, and I'd encourage anyone interested to seek out one that may be closest to them via their website: 

https://secure3.convio.net/nmss/site/SPageServer/?pagename=BIKE_National

Don't worry if you're not a hardcore cyclist, they offer shorter loops for all abilities, and if you don't have or ride a bike (!!!), they always need volunteers to help run the event :).

I was hoping to use this thread to eventually share some pictures and stories from the event and the ride.  I'll start off by posting my bike, which has carried me successfully 150 miles each year since I've been participating, and I hope will do so again this year :

The mountain bike, suspension, and knobbies make it at least a little badass, right?

Also, mods, I do have a personal fundraising page for this event, is it OK to post a link so anyone that can't participate but might want to donate can do so?  If not, no worries, but I thought I'd ask.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 06:59:28 PM by Flynlow »

Doomspark

Re: Bike MS Challenge - 150 miles in 2 days for charity
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 09:27:38 AM »
That's cool.

We volunteer for the Citrus Tour (Central Florida) leg of the Bike MS challenge every year - I coordinate with law enforcement, and my wife runs the amateur radio operations network.

peppermint

• Stubble
Re: Bike MS Challenge - 150 miles in 2 days for charity
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 03:13:37 PM »
Good on you! I did the MS150 in 2011 and 2012 (Missouri) and had a great time.
I am not in fighting shape to ride that kind of distance this year, but maybe next year...