Author Topic: Best Easter yet  (Read 1933 times)

asauer

• Pencil Stache
Best Easter yet
« on: April 01, 2018, 09:26:29 AM »
This year we decided to avoid the expensive trappings of Easter.  No expensive meal, no fancy clothes, no gifts.  We packed up and headed to the beach for the weekend to camp- free on certain beaches. So for the cost of gas we’re having a fabulous holiday.

ThatGuy

• Stubble
Re: Best Easter yet
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 10:21:35 PM »
I hate people who live in warm weather areas.

jk, I'm just jealous.  I'm in Ohio and we just got about half an inch to an inch of snow.  Glad you're enjoying your holiday.

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 01:24:46 AM »
Haha!  I’m originally from Kansas so I totally get what you mean.  There’s a reason I stayed in NC after college ; )

It wasn’t swimming weather but it sure beat snow.

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 09:20:37 PM »
Sweet!  I'm glad you had the opportunity to relax - a weekend camping at a beach sounds great.  My family did something similar this Easter.  We got on our bikes and pedaled to a local state park where we had a picnic, observed critters, and enjoyed desert wildflower season.   The entry fee was a couple of dollars each for two adult bicyclists; the kid got in free.   

I'm curious about the camping details.  Did you visit a campground or was it more of a free-range camping experience?

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 02:03:33 AM »
What's all this?? In this part of the world you chuck some marshmallow eggs at the kids and that's Easter! If you're really into it, you might go to a church service.... What sort of gifts are you meant to give?? Baskets?

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 04:38:00 AM »
We go away for Easter now and it’s heaven. In a tropical resort now for another day. Heaven.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 09:46:42 AM »
We went for the first paddle of the season in the kayak. Also did some pedaling. And a movie. Weird that the extended family didn't gather (logistics) but it was fun all the same. Time marches on and the kids grew up.

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 01:42:11 PM »
Sweet!  I'm glad you had the opportunity to relax - a weekend camping at a beach sounds great.  My family did something similar this Easter.  We got on our bikes and pedaled to a local state park where we had a picnic, observed critters, and enjoyed desert wildflower season.   The entry fee was a couple of dollars each for two adult bicyclists; the kid got in free.   

I'm curious about the camping details.  Did you visit a campground or was it more of a free-range camping experience?
It was a campground but only $7/ night.

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 01:45:20 PM »
What's all this?? In this part of the world you chuck some marshmallow eggs at the kids and that's Easter! If you're really into it, you might go to a church service.... What sort of gifts are you meant to give?? Baskets?
Let me clarify- hubs and I don’t get expensive stuff for outlet kids.  However, my parents are very extravagant with holidays, Easter included.  So they go all out which creates tension b/c they expect everyone else to do likewise (which we won’t).  So it was nice just do a holiday on our terms with no explanation or expectations.  And yeah, we pretty much chucked chocolate at our kids and let them run wild.  It was awesome.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 11:17:11 PM »
Let me clarify- hubs and I don’t get expensive stuff for outlet kids.  However, my parents are very extravagant with holidays, Easter included.  So they go all out which creates tension b/c they expect everyone else to do likewise (which we won’t).  So it was nice just do a holiday on our terms with no explanation or expectations.  And yeah, we pretty much chucked chocolate at our kids and let them run wild.  It was awesome.

Tell your parents that if they want to give gifts, they will be happily received but that giving gifts is not in the spirit of YOUR easter.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!