Author Topic: Being a tourist in your own life  (Read 10186 times)

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
Being a tourist in your own life
« on: September 03, 2014, 08:02:21 PM »
See below for some great books, especially for those of us who love to travel. These books showed me various ways to take amazing satisfying voyages wherever I am right now - helping me to live larger and deeper (not to mention enjoy past trips over and over again).

- "When Wanderers Cease to Roam: A Traveler's Journal of Staying Put" by Vivian Swift
- "Keeping a Nature Journal: Discover a Whole New Way of Seeing the World Around You" by Clare Walker Leslie

Also good:
- "Tales of a Female Nomad: Living at Large in the World" by Rita Golden Gelman
- "Female Nomad and Friends: Tales of Breaking Free and Breaking Bread Around the World" by Rita Golden Gelman
- "Still Life with Chickens: Starting Over in a House by the Sea" by Catherine Goldhammer

Bon voyage!
Exhale

MsRichLife

• Pencil Stache
    • Living My Rich Life
Re: Being a tourist in your own life
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 08:43:21 PM »
Thanks for this. I suffer badly from wanderlust and need to find ways to be more content with enjoying what I have in my life right now.

domustachesgrowinhouston

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 11:56:21 PM »
Neat. Im checking my library first thing tomorrow.  Thanks.

Tieke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 03:37:21 AM »
Thanks for this. I suffer badly from wanderlust and need to find ways to be more content with enjoying what I have in my life right now.

+1.  Thanks Exhale!

bonjourliz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 04:00:22 AM »
Cool!  Thank you for sharing!!

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 10:55:55 AM »
Thanks!  I just checked and my library has Tales of a Female Nomad, so I'll start with that one.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 11:28:52 AM »
I can't wait to check these out!  There can be so much to learn and discover about your home area...after getting back from a recent trip, I found there are over 20 nature preserves/walking trails within 15 miles of my home to explore! 

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 11:58:20 AM »
Nice point.   I could probably spend an entire week in our local historical society museum.  I could also spend a week just meeting the 25 neighbors who live near.   Only met 7 so far after being here 4 years.  Shame on me. 

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 01:52:57 PM »
Thanks for these ideas!

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 02:15:48 PM »
I've been thinking about this sort of thing recently. I've realized that for years now I've lived in a city with world-class museums and I've only visited a few. I went on their websites and checked on their free and discount day and I'm making a point to visit by the end of the year.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 11:42:10 PM »
Found another => The Feast Nearby by Robin Mather - an interesting read by someone who had to live more frugally and, by doing that, started to live locally and more deeply.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 11:47:16 PM by Exhale »

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 10:52:12 PM »
I love this! I live in a tourist mecca and have only scratched the surface on my local offerings. There's so much I want to see in my nearby area and in my state that I sometimes overlook by trying to fly somewhere to travel. I will try to incorporate this in my life. Thanks!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 01:47:30 PM »
Nice! I'm just starting to learn parts of the city where I've lived all my life, partly because the new parts are where a lot of the bikers are.

The nature journal book reminds me that my kids and I kept nature journals/sketchbooks last year for homeschooling and need to restart that :)

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 02:01:38 PM »
I live in a National Historic DistrictTM and I'm still playing hometown tourist.  Four blocks west from me is the church where Patrick Henry proclaimed "give me liberty or give me death!"  Three blocks east of me is the site of the largest Confederate hospital during the Civil War (and part of a national park).  For a history nerd like me living in Richmond is the bomb dot com and I've only scratched the surface!

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 02:08:29 PM »
I always do better if I have kids (like The Goblin Chief) or guests to do it with than if it's "just" me. (Same challenge as with cooking - love doing it with/for others.) However, like MandalayVA I live in a place rich with history and nature. Hmmm, I think I need to make a list and post it here to keep myself honest about actually doing it. More soon...

Later...
Okay, wow I had no idea how much I've already traveled in my own back yard. This list is only for Seattle and doesn't include that many wonderful things I've done just outside/near to the city. I realize that my travel list is now more focused on getting brave enough to draw in public and supporting local writers.

My to-do list for 2014:
Check out the Ballard (Seattle neighborhood) library's rooftop garden and Sunday Farmer’s Market
Attend readings by local authors
Sketch outside - nature and/or urban subjects

Already enjoyed at least once:
- Books: Explored ten library branches, have three favorite bookstores (Elliott Bay, Open Books and Third Place)
- Shows/Talks: Benaroya, Central District Forum, Century Ballroom, Cinerama, Columbia City Theater, Daybreak Star, HiLo, Intiman, Langston Hughes, Pacific NW Ballet, Pink Door, Richard Hugo House, Seattle Children's, Seattle Rep, Seattle Town Hall
- Local food: Visited many community "P-Patch" gardens, Seattle Tilth garden, gone on Tilth's annual "Seattle Chicken and Garden" tour and been to Framer's Markets in Columbia City, Pike Place and the University District
- Outdoor experiences: Ballard Locks, Burke Gilman Trail, Ferries, Foster Island, Fremont Troll, Henry Moore’s Vertebrae, kayaking on Lake Union, Shilshole Marina for a sailboat ride, Smith Tower and 14 of Seattle's city parks
- Museums: Burke Natural History, Children’s, EMP, Flight, Frye Art , Henry Art, History & Industry, NW African, Olympic Sculpture, Pacific Science, Seattle Art, Seattle Asian Art, Wing Luke, Seattle Aquarium, Woodland Park Zoo
- Neighborhoods: Capitol Hill, Central District, Columbia City, International District (my favorite: murals, Wing Luke, Panama Cafe, KOBO at Higo, Hing Hay Park), Pioneer Square, University District & UW campus
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 04:04:31 PM by Exhale »

misschedda

• Stubble
    • The Chedda
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 04:43:53 PM »
Even without going to new places, I've lately been trying harder to be a "tourist" in my own life. Almost every day I notice a new neat architectural feature or flowering tree on my walk to work. Sometimes I consciously tell myself to look up at the sky every so often. It's another way I've noticed cool new things in my neighborhood.

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 04:48:38 PM »
I have a covered porch with is open on three sides.  Tonight I went out during a fierce thunderstorm and watched a heavy rain, the clouds rolling by and the lightning, listened to the thunder, and felt the cool raindrops lapping at my calves while the rest of me stayed dry.  Sometimes you don't even need to leave your house to have a fabulous outdoor experience.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2014, 06:41:25 PM »
I have a covered porch with is open on three sides.  Tonight I went out during a fierce thunderstorm and watched a heavy rain, the clouds rolling by and the lightning, listened to the thunder, and felt the cool raindrops lapping at my calves while the rest of me stayed dry.  Sometimes you don't even need to leave your house to have a fabulous outdoor experience.

I love watching thunderstorms from cover - I miss having a covered porch!

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2014, 07:32:52 PM »
Thanks for sharing.

We moved to our current area from many stats away and made the decision to live like we were "on vacation".  Every weekend we plan a new mini adventure, most involving hiking the numerous state and national parks nearby or visiting the local areas nearby.  Most of the time we spend nothing but gas, but have seen so many amazing things.  Everything still is very new to us having never lived near mountains or this part of the country before.  It is a fun way to journey through life.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2014, 09:26:24 PM »

I love watching thunderstorms from cover - I miss having a covered porch!

I love thunderstorms! (Seattle has rain but no thunderstorms like you get in the midwest or, apparently, in Boston). Yes, to big covered porches and a porch swing to watch the show!

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2014, 09:28:28 PM »
Thanks for sharing.

We moved to our current area from many stats away and made the decision to live like we were "on vacation".  Every weekend we plan a new mini adventure, most involving hiking the numerous state and national parks nearby or visiting the local areas nearby.  Most of the time we spend nothing but gas, but have seen so many amazing things.  Everything still is very new to us having never lived near mountains or this part of the country before.  It is a fun way to journey through life.

Yes! That should be the title of this thread, "Live like you're on vacation." In fact, that's going to be my mantra this month as I step up to this challenge/invitation. Thanks for the new mindset!

Stacey

• Stubble
    • Bottling Moonlight
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2014, 09:32:04 PM »
This is great!  Thanks for sharing the reading suggestions.  Once I finally settle somewhere and have access to a library again, I'm going to check these out.  I'm such a huge proponent of exploring where you are.  From the "destinations" to the little things you pass every day that could be looked at with a new curiosity.  I kick myself that I never attended a noon-time music hour at a church a block from my former work in DC (I claimed I was too busy).  I was always intrigued when I passed it walking from the metro.  Oh, and I second (or third, at this point) watching thunderstorms from a covered porch.  Awesome!

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2014, 06:27:05 AM »
We have moved to a completely new area three times in our lives.  From growing up and attending college in Monnesota we moved to Dallas.  For the first year we found all kinds of cool things to do, many the locals didn't know about.  Then we got into a routine and quit exploring.  After over a decade we moved to Kansas City.  Same thing....a year of exploring then the routine hit.  That's when we wised up upon moving to the mountains of western NC to make sure we didn't let that routine choke out the sense of adventure.  So far so good.  Doesn't hurt that there is tons to do here, but there is a lot to do in any area of you look.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2014, 09:27:40 AM »
This reminds me, I have been promising myself ever since we moved to our current town that some winter day I would have an overpriced cup of coffee in the coffee shop located in the old bank building just to enjoy the atmosphere and architecture.  Must make that happen this winter

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2014, 12:45:54 PM »
Good for you - let us know how it goes!

Okay, you've inspired me. Tomorrow I have the day off from work. I'm going make time to go walk around the Fremont neighborhood (where I lived when I first moved to Seattle, but never visit anymore).

Thanks for the helpful nudge!

MsRichLife

• Pencil Stache
    • Living My Rich Life
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2014, 02:36:05 PM »
Today we are going to walk down to Floriade, the Spring flower festival on the lake.  It's beautiful but we often avoid it because of all the tourists.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2014, 03:03:43 PM »
Yesterday morning, I couldn't find a car park at the local library/theatre/shopping complex (I was getting some petrol, returning library books and doing a major grocery shop) - every one in the whole area was taken - someone had obviously booked the theatre for something. AT 8AM on a Sunday

I didn't know about this major event, not far from my house. How many others could I participate in that I don't know about within walking distance of my house?

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2014, 07:49:47 PM »
- The good: went on "vacation" to a neighborhood in my city.
- The not-so-good: it was quite gentrified with almost no non-commercial public (other a small park and a branch of the public library)

Striking to see how much public spaces are about commercial activities. Let's hear it for public libraries and parks!