Author Topic: Beast Ice  (Read 10744 times)

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
Beast Ice
« on: July 11, 2014, 12:01:32 PM »
Yep, I drink it. Before last summer, I used to buy a 12 pack of IPA (had to be on sale though)every Friday for the weekend and following week, but as a result of a large unexpected expense and a job prospect that didn't work out for my wife, I decided to revisit our spending habits which had experienced some hedonic adaptation over the last few years.   All sorts of expenses were evaluated and cut or reduced including my beer budget. I cut it to the bone at first, only allowing a purchase if friends were coming over to hang out.  Out of everything I cut, that was probably the thing I missed most.  I spend most of my weekends doing yardwork/gardening/outdoor projects and usually wind the day down with a hunk of meat on the grill and a few cold ones.  It is almost a ritual and I really felt shorted without it.  So I decided to revisit the badass methods of college and buy cheap beer.  Sure, the flavor is not there, and I could drink less and buy better beer, but for now, this seems to be a workable compromise that helps get me closer to my ER date (7/4/15). Although, my eyes do still wander down the beer isle towards the IPAs!

EarlyRetirementGuy

• Stubble
    • Early Retirement Guy
Re: Beast Ice
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 12:05:39 PM »
I could drink less and buy better beer, but for now, this seems to be a workable compromise that helps get me closer to my ER date (7/4/15).

I think I recall MMM mentioning that he preferred to drink less but have better quality beer.. but ultimately you gotta do what works for you and what you're gonna stick with! Well Done!

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 12:10:35 PM »
I'm also trying some experiments where I steep home grown hops in the Beast to alter the flavor.  I'm growing Willamettes right now which seem to add a nice aroma but don't do much for bitterness.  I've started Cascades, Chinooks, and Mt Hoods this year and look forward to seeing what they can add to the Beast...

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 01:18:36 PM »
I love Keystone Ice, myself. Cheap beer for the fucking win.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 01:50:42 PM »
Opposite from a recent reddit:

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 04:06:30 PM »
I puked a little when you said Beast. Where are you from lots of time when i say Beast people have no idea what i am talking about.

Spartana

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 06:08:29 PM »
Geeze I need glasses. I thought you said BReast Ice and thought it was some new age thing where women iced and then sold their breastmilk. Bleck!

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 06:20:38 PM »
Geeze I need glasses. I thought you said BReast Ice and thought it was some new age thing where women iced and then sold their breastmilk. Bleck!
There are stories of women who sell their breastmilk to bodybuilders.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 08:18:46 PM »

Rule 34.

Spartana

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 09:34:42 PM »

Rule 34.
True :-)!

Had to google that one though.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 10:05:26 AM »
Chilled human breast milk straight from the source sounds like something a depraved Saudi oil sheikh would most likely love.

Potential side gig for some of the ladies?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 04:05:41 AM »
People around Ohio tend to call it Ice Beast (or Yeti), even though that's the opposite order from the can. I have no problems with shitty beer but you could do a lot better than this for the same money ATMO.

Chilled human breast milk straight from the source sounds like something a depraved Saudi oil sheikh would most likely love.

Would you have to induce severe hypothermia to get it straight from the source and chilled?

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 04:57:42 PM »

Awesome....

Just awesome.

You are a genius.

ampersand

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 09:03:10 PM »
Homebrew for the win!!! I've seen great beer made for $5 a gallon. That's not IPA and in very large quantities, but you get the point when I say it's much cheaper than buying craft beer. There's a Homebrew thread on MMM... And as a general rule is a pretty accepting hobby to new comers. For the record at least your drinking the beast over natty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 09:16:11 AM »
I keep reading the thread title and thinking you're talking about "beasting it", like, ripping the can in half to drink it.  Like Hushpuppy and the crab in Beasts of the Southern Wild.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oiTd6dEScI

Spartana

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 02:37:28 PM »
People around Ohio tend to call it Ice Beast (or Yeti), even though that's the opposite order from the can. I have no problems with shitty beer but you could do a lot better than this for the same money ATMO.

Would you have to induce severe hypothermia to get it straight from the source and chilled?
On tap? Of course it must be shaken, not stirred :-)!

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 01:22:06 PM »
Scored a case of "discontinued" Keystone Light for $8.29 last night.  Haven't bought beer that cheap since college! Date was fine.  I figured it was discontinued due to the fact it was 18-16 oz cans vs 24-12 oz cans.  I almost missed the fact that is was a full case, and I bet many others did too!   

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 01:42:37 PM »
I'm also trying some experiments where I steep home grown hops in the Beast to alter the flavor.  I'm growing Willamettes right now which seem to add a nice aroma but don't do much for bitterness.  I've started Cascades, Chinooks, and Mt Hoods this year and look forward to seeing what they can add to the Beast...

cool idea!

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 10:43:22 PM »
This is bad, very, very bad.   I'll gift you some Dogfish Head 60 Min Clone for a small donation of $5 a six pack if you're in the Denver area.    You're just making me sad.

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 05:43:14 PM »
This is bad, very, very bad.   I'll gift you some Dogfish Head 60 Min Clone for a small donation of $5 a six pack if you're in the Denver area.    You're just making me sad.
Ohhh...I love me some Dogfish Head 90 min IPA!

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 05:53:22 AM »

Thank you for the offer, but don't feel too bad for me.  I have several friends that understand my mission but are not mustashians themselves so they provide home brews, growlers from the local brewery, and occasional 6 packs of IPAs when we hang out.  One friend even "trades" me beast for something good!  Last night I even got to go to the bar and drink several local brews, fortunately our bill was largely comped because we won their trivia night!

I have planted many apple and other fruit trees and someday hope to have enough to make a steady supply of hard cider.

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 06:19:12 AM »
WTF is Beast Ice?

bluecollarmusician

• Pencil Stache
  • You call this a Fi(re)?
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 06:27:46 AM »
HHAHAHA!  Beast Ice.   As opposed to unleaded Beast....which was our preferred choice when I was in college.  There were frequent occasions when the party involved a tub (and a washing machine) packed with Beast.  These days, for my cheap beer I usually go with PBR.  Price is pretty much the same...

BTW we would have had Beast Ice, but if I recall right Icehouse only came out about that time, and it took a few years for all the ice beers to get on the market. 

kosh525

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 07:57:57 AM »
It takes a lot for me to not bring home an expensive 6 pack of some craft/imported beer.  I may just get myself a pack of PBR.  PBR and I had some fond memories.

Grateful Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 08:54:45 AM »
So I decided to revisit the badass methods of college and buy cheap beer.

I'm with ya, OP.

I used to brew my own, collect beer, 'age' beer, and spend a shit-ton of money on the stuff ($8-$15 for a badass bomber, no problem. In fact, I once spent $48 on a 4-pack).

However, for the past few years, I too have been returning to the cheap stuff, particularly in the beer department. Straight Budweiser is my go-to. It's actually a well-made beer, and I have my past snob-beer credentials to back me up if I am ever questioned.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:57:01 AM by Grateful Stache »

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 11:20:24 PM »
So I decided to revisit the badass methods of college and buy cheap beer.

I'm with ya, OP.

I used to brew my own, collect beer, 'age' beer, and spend a shit-ton of money on the stuff ($8-$15 for a badass bomber, no problem. In fact, I once spent $48 on a 4-pack).

However, for the past few years, I too have been returning to the cheap stuff, particularly in the beer department. Straight Budweiser is my go-to. It's actually a well-made beer, and I have my past snob-beer credentials to back me up if I am ever questioned.

I'm with you if you don't brew, but I can brew a 6 pack of the previously mentioned DFH 60 Min clone for less than $4 a six pack.    IIRC, that's cheaper than just about everything in the store.     

Do you just not enjoy brewing?  It can be a time commitment if you're not really digging it, or you're not a total alcoholic that can really benefit from the money savings.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 12:10:56 AM »
I'm not picky when it comes to beer.  I like light shitty beer* and I'm not ashamed to admit it.  I'll buy whatever is on sale.  I haven't found a light beer I don't like as long as it's properly chilled before imbibing.  We'll buy a case of miller high life, pabst, coors, or whatever is on sale.  A case usually lasts us a few months unless we're putting on a shindig. 
I warn visitors who might be beer snobs that we typically only stock shitty beer, so they might want to stop by Whole Foods and pick up a sixer of some microbrew IPA shit before they come over (or at least don't bitch about drinking ice cold Coors in fairly unlimited quantities for free at my house while eating my awesome food).

Anyone who finds they can't stomach shitty beer they bought on a cost-saving whim can PM me for my address and forward any unwanted beverages to me. 

* I've also tried a few fancier beers at trader joe's and liked some (hefeweizen, dunkelweizen) and didn't like some that were bitter (Vienna something or other).  And they have some beers that are $3-4 for a six pack that are like the light beer I buy for almost the same price. 

Grateful Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 11:12:30 AM »
Do you just not enjoy brewing?  It can be a time commitment if you're not really digging it, or you're not a total alcoholic that can really benefit from the money savings.

Huge time commitment. Plus I realized that the folks at Avery, Stone, Rogue, DFH, etc. were much better at brewing than me.

It IS a helluva lot of fun, though!

Cheers.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2014, 07:41:31 AM »
Brewing is a huge time committment, my hubby was really into it, but now he mostly makes meads.  Kegging helped, but then you need a fridge to chill it.  I don't miss the smell of the malt/grain/hops or whatever it is. 

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2014, 02:13:17 PM »
Brewing is a huge time committment, my hubby was really into it, but now he mostly makes meads.  Kegging helped, but then you need a fridge to chill it.  I don't miss the smell of the malt/grain/hops or whatever it is.

Interesting, most people love the smell of brewing beer.    It's usually reminiscent of fresh bread because of the large grain bill.

BooksAreNerdy

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2014, 02:20:36 PM »
For cheap beer, you just can't beat a good ole Hamm's!

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2014, 08:07:43 PM »
Tonight, I just drank a 40z of natty ice. It was great. I put a lime in it.