Author Topic: Bartered with local market  (Read 1964 times)

leighb

• Stubble
Bartered with local market
« on: October 28, 2016, 08:52:21 PM »
In preparation for the apocalypse we planted sunchokes (Jerusalem Artichokes). They grow like crazy, so never plant them in your main garden. You will never get rid of them. Anyway, my family is not a fan of them, hence this is only apocalypse food. So last week I asked our nearby market if they were open to a bartering relationship. Yesterday, I gave them 15 pounds of sunchokes at $2/lb. Not too bad for produce that would have otherwise been wasted. 

PappaBear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Bartered with local market
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 10:46:02 AM »
Couldn't you plant food that your family would actually enjoy eating? It seems like a poor use of space to grow something you don't even like.

leighb

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 08:29:17 PM »
I do grow food my family likes. I have about 800+ sqft going year round.

But once you plant these suckers it's hard to unplant them, that's why there not in my garden. They live where nothing else grows in a strip between the house and driveway. I never water them and they're pretty, like little sunflowers. So at the end of a season, I can either sell them or let them rot.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 02:37:33 AM »
There's a food coop in my city that I get almost all of my food from; great savings to be had by bartering with the other growers. It's fun, interesting, and saves me a huge amount on my food costs.