Author Topic: Barber schools for a cheap haircut  (Read 12881 times)

JTD1968

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Barber schools for a cheap haircut
« on: February 08, 2016, 09:41:25 AM »
Like many guys, I keep my hair short and simple ( basically just run the clippers over my head). My dilemma has always been that while I hate the idea of paying between 10 and 15 dollars for such simple haircut,I  also truly hate the mess and hassle of cutting it myself at home. I have recently started going to the local barber school for a great $3 haircut ($5 if you include  a $2 tip for the young student barber). They always do a great job, and are supervised by a teacher. It's a great deal that you can't beat. While getting my hair cut, I often see parents who don't appear very wealthy bringing there kids in for an affordable haircut.  These schools are providing a good service at a great price.

TheBeardedIrishman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Barber schools for a cheap haircut
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 03:12:11 PM »
Like many guys, I keep my hair short and simple ( basically just run the clippers over my head). My dilemma has always been that while I hate the idea of paying between 10 and 15 dollars for such simple haircut,I  also truly hate the mess and hassle of cutting it myself at home. I have recently started going to the local barber school for a great $3 haircut ($5 if you include  a $2 tip for the young student barber). They always do a great job, and are supervised by a teacher. It's a great deal that you can't beat. While getting my hair cut, I often see parents who don't appear very wealthy bringing there kids in for an affordable haircut.  These schools are providing a good service at a great price.
HELL YEAH I am glad I am not the only one...I go to a local barber college too they charge $6 tho..the student is supervised as well and any touch ups or things that need to be done the teacher does at the end...I have noticed the students do a great job and are really passionate about their craft.. plus I feel good going to the barber college letting the students gain experience...the way I look at it $15(normal rate for haircut)-$6(barbershop college haircut) = $9 X 12 months (1 haircut per month) = $108 a year that could have been invested and turned into $1000's over a lifetime

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 03:15:38 PM »
These are great ways to save money!

I went to Cosmetology school and the amount of hours and practice you have to put in before they let you work on clients is quite a bit. Our school was in a public high school and students of the high school got free haircuts!

My grandma went their for years to get her weekly hairdo :) she was pretty dang frugal, lived in an underground house with solar built in the late 70s

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 08:19:02 PM »
I got the best hair cut ever at the local beauty school. I got to help a student learn it just took a bit extra time. But for $10 and no tip accepted it was awesome. Plus the instructor charges $80+ a hour when he cuts hair. But at the school he makes sure the hair cut is perfect. It really is a win win.

david51

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 12:13:42 AM »
     Went to a beauty college and paid 3$ twice.  Satisfactory cut.  But for about the last 5 years I just cut it myself.  DD doesn't even know when I cut it.  I'd say it might take 2 attempts to be skilled enough to give yourself an acceptable haircut.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 08:34:56 AM »
Glad you were pleased with your haircut.  I am still a bit scarred from some awful hair cuts received as a child and a bit sensitive about my haircuts.  When I moved a few years ago, I had to leave my trusted barber and find a new one.   I went to 4 different barbers before I found one I was satisfied with.  I was worried he might retire or die before I retired given he is in his 70's , but looks like he is going to make it.  Post FIRE, I'll be using clippers to keep my hair in the 1/2" range for basically free. I probably should have worked up the nerve for a short cut during my working years, but wanted to look as professional as I could, especially in the early years.   

startbyservingothers

• Stubble
    • A Full Year
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 12:16:00 PM »
I have cut my hair myself for about 10 years.   I used to get my haircut by a gentleman named 'Cecil' at a local Great Clips, which he was way overqualified to work at.   He would be at any number of locations on a given day.  I would cut my hair myself if I couldn't track him down.  Long story short, he disappeared from Great Clips and I have felt it a waste of money to pay anyone else to cut my hair since.  (Okay, being that I am a visitor to this Forum, this outcome was a near certainty).

SO got hair cut at a beauty school for a time.   Ended up using a Groupon once, and then the hairdresser continued to extend a similar price going forward.    Cut + deep conditioning treatment now only costs slightly more than the beauty school price was.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 12:19:09 PM by startbyservingothers »

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 07:09:50 PM »

Chrome Dome Baby, Chrome Dome.

FunkyChopstick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 05:45:53 PM »
Nice. I cut my hubs hair with a pair of clippers at home. No appointment necessary. I have heard really good things about hair academy but I am still trigger shy. I overpay for my hair cut and shampoo ( redheads need special love) but I have been traumatized by asking for layers and getting a gd mullet instead. Never again.

My fancy salon can charge me $55 for a cut and $35 for my shampoo. I drink fancy beer when I am there and cheat by getting trims (and I mean,"I will cut you if you take off more than a 1/4 inch" trims) at Hair Cuttery for $15 in between. I cope.

arthurllyle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 02:44:45 AM »
I am a simple and cool guy and like spiky hair. Actually, I just a student and learning the different types of haircuts beauty techniques  from barberseye.com. I am planning to open my own Saloon. Can anyone give me some tips on beauty and hair.

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 07:18:37 PM »

Chrome Dome Baby, Chrome Dome.

HAHA, that is the direction I am heading.

Great thread. I have set a goal this year of jettisoning my high priced stylist (who is also a friend) and going to a local barber college. I like my hair short, so it should work out.

I have gone to a friend who owns a salon, and since I live in Marin, the cost of a cut at a salon here is two-facepunch worthy. You would not believe the prices on Avocado Toast. But hey, I was helping a friend out.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 12:32:16 PM »
Along the same lines, check out massage therapy colleges.  Some of them offer cut-rate massages.  The only caveat is that they can't issue receipts for insurance purposes, but it's great for peeps with no insurance, or for those who've maxed out their benefits.

simonkkkkk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 01:07:04 PM »

Always great :)

Nurse_Nash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 05:03:46 PM »
I'll admit I only cut my hair in one big swoop once a year. For maintenance in between, I trim my own split ends hassle-free. As a woman, I do not dye my hair ( I haven't touched dye in 4 years) nor do I have an extensive or complicated hair cut/style. I keep the layers simple when I get my big chop yearly (usually let them take an upward of 3 inches off if they want), keep longer layers, and the maintenance is easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy.

-Nash

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 03:35:04 PM »
Wahl clippers (with attachments) for me.  No more hassle with making appointments and travelling, paid for itself after the first use.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!