Author Topic: Bank account churning: how to make $1600 in a year by being organized  (Read 381936 times)

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
Re: Bank account churning: how to make $1600 in a year by being organized
« Reply #750 on: August 23, 2020, 09:12:31 AM »
I tried to sign up for PenFed but they denied my account. My credit report with Equifax is screwed up. I can't access it or unfreeze it without mailing them a letter with copies of two forms of ID. Probably why I got referred to the fraud protection department with Bank of America when I tried to sign up for a rewards card with them.

I guess trying to do this stuff while deployed overseas without access to my cell phone is just not going to work.

@Michael in ABQ Word to the wise: Google Voice.  For 99% of my needs it has worked great as my "American cell phone" while living overseas (I'm in the U.S. Foreign Service).

You should still contact Equifax and get that pooch unscrewed, if you haven't already done so.

I ended up using Skype and paid $30 to get a real phone number people could dial. I tried Google Voice and the free version of Skype and I had multiple instances where various systems would flag it as a VoIP number and not allow it (i.e. for text verification for logging into a bank). I guess that's good for fraud prevention, but it made things frustrating. I couldn't call my parents land line they've had for decades because some system recognized my number as something any random scammer sitting in Nigeria or Russia could setup in two seconds.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #751 on: August 23, 2020, 11:27:19 AM »
I still don't have my bonus from pen fed. Comments on doc suggest that it takes 6 months to receive.

What was your opening date for Penfed?  We opened on May 5th and just got our bonuses on 8/20.  I was expecting it to take another month, but it capped off a $1500 week for bank bonus payouts for us, pretty solid.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #752 on: August 23, 2020, 12:36:40 PM »
I still don't have my bonus from pen fed. Comments on doc suggest that it takes 6 months to receive.

What was your opening date for Penfed?  We opened on May 5th and just got our bonuses on 8/20.  I was expecting it to take another month, but it capped off a $1500 week for bank bonus payouts for us, pretty solid.

I had not logged into PenFed for a couple weeks. Looks like I got the bonus (x2) on the 18th. Thanks for the heads up.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #753 on: August 23, 2020, 01:38:07 PM »
I opened the account on May 16 and met all requirements on June 1. Will give it a couple weeks.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #754 on: August 24, 2020, 01:18:00 PM »
I opened the account on May 16 and met all requirements on June 1. Will give it a couple weeks.

We opened ours May 12 and haven't received either. I wasn't planning on seeing the bonuses until sometime in September.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #755 on: August 25, 2020, 07:27:17 AM »
Officially sitting on $1,600 this year and have a $400 bonus from SunTrust pending.  Credit to Wells Fargo for having the easiest account closure process.

It looks like I'm out unless I'm ready to park $15,000 with CitiBank for 60 days for $400.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #756 on: August 25, 2020, 11:22:02 AM »
Officially sitting on $1,600 this year and have a $400 bonus from SunTrust pending.  Credit to Wells Fargo for having the easiest account closure process.

It looks like I'm out unless I'm ready to park $15,000 with CitiBank for 60 days for $400.

Was going to ask how quickly your WF bonus posted, but they just posted mine. I'll wait a little bit before closing.

Currently waiting on the Citi $400 bonus (opened 6/29), it was easy to open and didn't require merging online account access this time, which was a pain previously.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #757 on: August 25, 2020, 06:25:58 PM »
I had issues signing up for First Fidelity Bank and UMB Bank. FirstBank closed my account after automatically opening it. Too many Chex I guess.  UMB still has my opening deposits, but locked out of online banking and won't tell me why. So its pretty annoying.

UMB finally took the lock off my account after sending in various identiity documents. The UMB $200 savings bonus posted while I was locked out.  For the $300 checking, I'm still waiting on them to send me a debit card to do the required swipes. What a mess.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #758 on: August 25, 2020, 06:28:32 PM »

Was going to ask how quickly your WF bonus posted, but they just posted mine. I'll wait a little bit before closing.

Currently waiting on the Citi $400 bonus (opened 6/29), it was easy to open and didn't require merging online account access this time, which was a pain previously.

On the last Citi promo that I did, I had called in to change the Savings account to Accelerate savings, becaus I thought I read on DoC that you could have the Accelerate with these promos. I  asked the rep if that was going to mess with my promo, he said yes so I told him to cancel the change and he said he would. The change did happen though and the bonus never posted. I filed a CFPB complaint and they listened to the call and decided to still give me the cash and I don't think they took away the extra interest that i earned in between. Got lucky.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #759 on: August 25, 2020, 07:36:26 PM »
I had issues signing up for First Fidelity Bank and UMB Bank. FirstBank closed my account after automatically opening it. Too many Chex I guess.  UMB still has my opening deposits, but locked out of online banking and won't tell me why. So its pretty annoying.

UMB finally took the lock off my account after sending in various identiity documents. The UMB $200 savings bonus posted while I was locked out.  For the $300 checking, I'm still waiting on them to send me a debit card to do the required swipes. What a mess.

UMB locked us out as well, and was nice enough to mail us our first statements with a $3 Paper Statement Fee.  This was before I even knew if our accounts were open.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #760 on: August 25, 2020, 10:27:01 PM »

UMB locked us out as well, and was nice enough to mail us our first statements with a $3 Paper Statement Fee.  This was before I even knew if our accounts were open.

I had a $4 monthly fee that seemed to get automatically waived. I turned on the estatements before they had locked me out.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #761 on: August 27, 2020, 09:22:28 AM »
I ended up using Skype and paid $30 to get a real phone number people could dial. I tried Google Voice and the free version of Skype and I had multiple instances where various systems would flag it as a VoIP number and not allow it (i.e. for text verification for logging into a bank). I guess that's good for fraud prevention, but it made things frustrating. I couldn't call my parents land line they've had for decades because some system recognized my number as something any random scammer sitting in Nigeria or Russia could setup in two seconds.
I've occasionally run into the problem of some systems not accepting my Google Voice number for text notifications; however, I do use my Google Voice number with plenty of two factor authentication systems without issue. It is possible that Google Voice numbers are reported differently depending on if there is a forwarding phone configured (could have forwarding phone configured but disabled in settings, though Google Voice does require you to reconfirm forwarding phones that have been inactive too log). You used to need access to a US phone number to initially set up Google Voice, but I'm not sure if that is still the case, and I know that you can remove all forwarding phone numbers and still use Google' Voices VOIP services. It also may be significant that my Google Voice number is very old (dates back to when you needed a referral link to sign up for Grand Central).

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #762 on: September 01, 2020, 12:51:55 PM »
Regarding Penfed, both my wife and I had our bonuses post today on 9/1.
We both opened our accounts on 5/19. Our required initial deposit posted 5/28.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #763 on: September 01, 2020, 03:31:00 PM »
Regarding Penfed, both my wife and I had our bonuses post today on 9/1.
We both opened our accounts on 5/19. Our required initial deposit posted 5/28.

Mine posted today too!

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #764 on: November 17, 2020, 11:57:45 AM »
Working on US Bank for $400 (10% ROI). BBVA is also supposed to be nationwide and that's an easy $200/$50 (16% ROI).

Credit cards are now at 4/24 and about to become 3/24, which opens a lot of possibilities.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #765 on: November 17, 2020, 04:00:21 PM »
Working on US Bank for $400 (10% ROI). BBVA is also supposed to be nationwide and that's an easy $200/$50 (16% ROI).

Credit cards are now at 4/24 and about to become 3/24, which opens a lot of possibilities.

BBVA is a good one.  Did that 2x in the past 1-2 years.

Rhinodad

• Stubble
« Reply #766 on: November 17, 2020, 07:19:25 PM »
@Aunt Petunia Did the $300 bonus show when you were signing up?  I saw some comments on DoC saying that it never showed and they had to email with the referrers info.  This seems to be happening if they are already a Sofi member.  I am definitely interested in doing this for an easy $600, and don't mind a hard pull since it won't count toward 5/24 status.

On a side note for this thread: we just cracked $5,000 YTD from bank bonuses yesterday(two player mode FTW), with another couple thousand already pending.

I’m curious, has anyone signed up their kids, and funded the account (think college age kids) and split the cash with them? We are just starting and doing 2 player mode, but also have 4 children between the ages of 18 and 25. I know...4 kids, but My wife wouldn’t leave me alone at night for a few years, what can I say?

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #767 on: November 19, 2020, 06:27:47 AM »

Time to hit up those Chase cards? Start with Biz cards if you can, in case that isn't already obvious ( :

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #768 on: November 20, 2020, 08:31:35 AM »
@Aunt Petunia Did the $300 bonus show when you were signing up?  I saw some comments on DoC saying that it never showed and they had to email with the referrers info.  This seems to be happening if they are already a Sofi member.  I am definitely interested in doing this for an easy $600, and don't mind a hard pull since it won't count toward 5/24 status.

On a side note for this thread: we just cracked $5,000 YTD from bank bonuses yesterday(two player mode FTW), with another couple thousand already pending.

I’m curious, has anyone signed up their kids, and funded the account (think college age kids) and split the cash with them? We are just starting and doing 2 player mode, but also have 4 children between the ages of 18 and 25. I know...4 kids, but My wife wouldn’t leave me alone at night for a few years, what can I say?

That's an interesting proposition. I see a lot of people who do two player churning, but I haven't seen anyone do more than that. It'll be something to keep in mind for when my kid is older. What is the earliest they could start that, 16?

For those looking for a good bank bonus, Capital One has a $400 bonus that only requires two direct deposits that add up to $1k.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/capital-one-400-checking-bonus-direct-deposit-not-required/

Rhinodad

• Stubble
« Reply #769 on: November 20, 2020, 10:38:54 AM »
I think they need to be 18 so they could be the sole owner. Thinking for each of my adult kids, to split the $ with them after the taxes, and I do all the funding, and pay the taxes for them. This is a potential boom to them, and hopefully get them to read this site and get them in a frame of mind to search out happiness without gross consumption.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #770 on: November 23, 2020, 09:07:53 AM »
Eh, If they are college age kids I would argue that it's more important for them to learn to adult, than get involved with this so early on in their financial lives. They're your kids so you know them best. But this can make their financial picture pretty murky while they're just starting out. What happens if they forget to close an account? Or they go to get a loan and are suprised by a bunch of inquiries. Just saying that maybe the couple hundred bucks might not be worth them fully becoming responsible for their own finances, without their parents involved.

Rhinodad

• Stubble
« Reply #771 on: November 23, 2020, 01:52:53 PM »
Just a curiosity, as my bank does not show up on DOC as a data point for PNC, but I got this email from from PNC. On 11/19/20, $500.00 was credited to your account via direct deposit. This was a transfer from existing CU account. Think it's safe that this actually does count as a direct deposit? If so, that opens up alot of other possibilities as it frees up quite a bit of payroll direct deposit cash.

PVkcin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #772 on: November 23, 2020, 06:01:19 PM »
I'm fairly new to bank account churning. Do you guys close your accounts after you get the bonus / after there is no fee to close it?

I signed up for the Capital One 360 savings account in Jan 2020 for the bonus. We signed my wife up for the same one in May 2020. Just wondering if there's any reason to keep them open? Also I believe some banks have a minimum time you need to keep the account open - I didn't pay attention to the 360 savings minimum time to keep it open. I'm sure I could read through the fine print and find it somewhere!

billy

• Bristles
  • fired at 39 since 2021
« Reply #773 on: November 23, 2020, 06:14:13 PM »
Capital one checking is good to keep open for future face direct deposit and there's no fees to worry about. Generally you should close checking accounts once done meeting requirements and getting bonus, check out doctor of credit for info.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #774 on: November 24, 2020, 08:44:25 AM »
Most of these accounts have no fees if you meet certain requirements (minimum balance, direct deposit, debit card usage, and/or bill pay usage). Even if the zero fee requirements are easy to meet, you still might want to close the account for two reasons: 1) avoid extra accounts to keep track of, 2) sever the customer relationship so that the new customer offer is available to you again in the future.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #775 on: November 25, 2020, 10:38:35 AM »
Most of these accounts have no fees if you meet certain requirements (minimum balance, direct deposit, debit card usage, and/or bill pay usage). Even if the zero fee requirements are easy to meet, you still might want to close the account for two reasons: 1) avoid extra accounts to keep track of, 2) sever the customer relationship so that the new customer offer is available to you again in the future.

Agree on closure.  I have too many lingering that I need to empty out and close.  Too many accounts plus random bits of cash all over here & yonder :)

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #776 on: November 25, 2020, 10:49:15 AM »

Agree on closure.  I have too many lingering that I need to empty out and close.  Too many accounts plus random bits of cash all over here & yonder :)

Ha, that's me about 11 months out of the year. Oddly enough November and December I start closing out numerous accounts. Just sorta falls that way 

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #777 on: November 25, 2020, 10:50:37 AM »
Pretty funny that 5 years ago making $1600 from bank account churning seemed really awesome. $1600 now would be a very down year.

phildonnia

• Bristles
« Reply #778 on: November 25, 2020, 11:36:50 AM »
So this year, I made $1500 on bank account bonuses, and $750 on credit cards.

My best "customer" was Citibank, which gave $400 each to me and my wife. 

Speaking of customers, I'm keeping my Capital One savings account.  Note to financial institutions: Account opening cash bonuses lead to long-term customer relationships when they are followed up with a good product. 

I have no idea what Chase was thinking.  Their bank account has high fees, a $75k minimum deposit, and a non-existent interest rate.  Do they think that anyone with $75k is going to stick around after the bonus is paid?

« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 09:19:50 PM by phildonnia »

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #779 on: November 25, 2020, 11:50:42 AM »

Speaking of customers, I'm keeping my Capital One savings account.  Note to financial institutions: Account opening cash bonuses lead to long-term customer relationships when they are followed up with a good product. 

I have no idea what Citibank was thinking.  Their bank account has high fees, a $75k minimum deposit, and a non-existent interest rate.  Do they think that anyone with $75k is going to stick around after the bonus is paid?

Which bonus was this?  I thought the $400 checking & savings bonus only required a $15K deposit?

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-400-600-personal-checking-savings-bonus-available-nationwide-direct-deposit-not-required/

phildonnia

• Bristles
« Reply #780 on: November 25, 2020, 09:19:14 PM »

I have no idea what Citibank was thinking.  Their bank account has high fees, a $75k minimum deposit, and a non-existent interest rate.  Do they think that anyone with $75k is going to stick around after the bonus is paid?

Which bonus was this?  I thought the $400 checking & savings bonus only required a $15K deposit?

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-400-600-personal-checking-savings-bonus-available-nationwide-direct-deposit-not-required/

My mistake: This was Chase, not Citibank.  I'll correct my original post, FWIW.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #781 on: November 30, 2020, 05:04:48 PM »
I did the Citibank $400 one and closed the account, they sent me a new offer for $400.  Rinse and repeat.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #782 on: December 01, 2020, 04:49:02 AM »
I know it's a bit early, but what are people at YTD?  We just crossed $10,000 in bank bonuses, with maybe another couple hundred set to come in by the end of the year.

We should also end up with $775 net from IRA transfer bonuses (Chase x 2, Etrade x 1), and $2400 from credit card bonuses.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #783 on: December 01, 2020, 10:48:47 AM »
I know it's a bit early, but what are people at YTD?  We just crossed $10,000 in bank bonuses, with maybe another couple hundred set to come in by the end of the year.

We should also end up with $775 net from IRA transfer bonuses (Chase x 2, Etrade x 1), and $2400 from credit card bonuses.

Wow, that's awesome. Is that 2 player? Are you using a lot of state bonuses?

We're (2p) at $3300 for banks and $1400 for cards.

Rhinodad

• Stubble
« Reply #784 on: December 01, 2020, 11:48:31 AM »
My wife and I just started doing the account bonuses. Started out very hot/very heavy. Between the 2 of us, we should be seeing about $4500 after the next 60 days.

I'm curious, what is the average year over year for most people? With two player, is it reasonable to average $4000/yr for the family year/year? Just thinking if this along with Tradelines and CC churning, you can average roughly 10k/yr for any appreciable amount of time.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #785 on: December 01, 2020, 01:05:39 PM »
Holy crap. Great job on those totals everyone! I barely hit $700 this year. I was gearing up for my highest year, and then I had an insane amount of failed bonuses, about $2000 worth. Most due to banks reneging on the application of the promo offer (I still met requirements with actual paycheck DD's). Combine that with the ~30% taxes on the income, I don't see myself doing too many of these anymore. I might just stick with Citi and Chase rotating every 2 years.

Has anyone gotten HSBC to honor their $700 6-month direct deposit offer? I've sent in several chats and secure messages and they just tell me to wait on the inquiry and then say there was no promo code. There is absolutely no way on their site to apply WITHOUT going through a promo link.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #786 on: December 01, 2020, 01:36:57 PM »

Yes, 2 player mode.  Tons of state bonuses, I sign up for them as soon as I see them.

@therethere if you hit all the requirements and the banks didn't pay out, file a complaint with CFPB.  A lot of times that will make the bonus magically show up.

https://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

@Rhinodad $4,000 per year in 2 player mode should be easy.  Many of these bonuses can be done once a year.  Our numbers look like this:

2020 - $10,000 (so far)
2019 - $5500
2018 - $6600
2017 - $6200

Rhinodad

• Stubble
« Reply #787 on: December 01, 2020, 01:52:25 PM »

Yes, 2 player mode.  Tons of state bonuses, I sign up for them as soon as I see them.

@therethere if you hit all the requirements and the banks didn't pay out, file a complaint with CFPB.  A lot of times that will make the bonus magically show up.

@Rhinodad $4,000 per year in 2 player mode should be easy.  Many of these bonuses can be done once a year.  Our numbers look like this:

2020 - $10,000 (so far)
2019 - $5500
2018 - $6600
2017 - $6200

Thanks! What state do you live in?

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #788 on: December 01, 2020, 02:00:49 PM »
Looks like we'll be around $9K this year in bank bonuses (2 player mode). Before the pandemic we both fell below 5/24 after taking it easy on personal CC apps for the last year or so, so we hit Chase up pretty hard. Also maxed out the 5x points on office supply spend on my Ink Card. So not exactly sure grand total on CC bonuses but we cashed in roughly $7K with the Chase PYB feature.

I don't anticipate another banner year like this in 2021.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #789 on: December 01, 2020, 02:21:42 PM »
@Rhinodad in Wisconsin, though I have successfully done a few out of state bonuses.  Many of them just require you to join some cheap organization to be eligible.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #790 on: December 01, 2020, 02:43:27 PM »

Thanks for the link! I just filled one out. Fingers crossed. I'll have to keep better records and pdfs of my applications going forward to prevent this in the future at least for this big money bonuses. I was slacking because up until this year I've never had a bonus not pay out. Then bam, 2020 I missed out on 4 or 5 offers. Some were my fault, due to the craziness in the Feb/March timing. But I should have documented everything with HSBC as I've had major issues with them before when doing my bonus account.

Rhinodad

• Stubble
« Reply #791 on: December 01, 2020, 06:46:14 PM »
@Rhinodad in Wisconsin, though I have successfully done a few out of state bonuses.  Many of them just require you to join some cheap organization to be eligible.

Thanks! I’m in Oak Creek.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #792 on: December 03, 2020, 06:33:47 PM »
Roughly $3,000 YTD here in two player mode

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #793 on: December 12, 2020, 02:55:49 PM »
Anyone know how to nudge Citi to post the checking bonus before the 90 days are up? I want to realize income this year while I'm in the 0% federal tax bracket.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #794 on: December 12, 2020, 06:21:25 PM »
Anyone know how to nudge Citi to post the checking bonus before the 90 days are up? I want to realize income this year while I'm in the 0% federal tax bracket.

Good luck, Citi is one of the worst ones to deal with.  Is this 90 days after opening the account, or 90 days after the 60 days that qualified for the bonus?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #795 on: December 12, 2020, 06:24:36 PM »

Good luck, Citi is one of the worst ones to deal with.  Is this 90 days after opening the account, or 90 days after the 60 days that qualified for the bonus?
The 90 days after requirements being met, I hope. I met them shortly after account opening in early October.

Accrual

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #796 on: December 13, 2020, 06:13:25 PM »
Signed up for the Chase checking + savings account $500 offer. Had my direct deposit hit last week. Hoping to get the first $200 in a few days. Have to wait 90 days for the savings account.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #797 on: December 13, 2020, 06:21:59 PM »
Signed up for the Chase checking + savings account $500 offer. Had my direct deposit hit last week. Hoping to get the first $200 in a few days. Have to wait 90 days for the savings account.

Check your account on Tuesday, and you should have the bonus.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #798 on: December 13, 2020, 06:56:39 PM »
This is looking like my totals for the year:

Ally: $250
Chase: $600
Wells Fargo: $400
Marcus $100
Citibank $400
Service Credit Union: $100
BBVA: $200
US Bank $300
UMB Bank: $500
Desert Financial: $100

Not too bad.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #799 on: December 14, 2020, 06:53:49 AM »

The 90 days after requirements being met, I hope. I met them shortly after account opening in early October.

Citi was late for me this year, the bonus posted 18 days after the 90 days of requirements being met.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!