Author Topic: Bank account churning: how to make $1600 in a year by being organized  (Read 381756 times)

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Re: Bank account churning: how to make $1600 in a year by being organized
« Reply #300 on: March 23, 2018, 02:51:31 PM »
Twist: all the data points are from HSBC employees trying to discourage churners.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #301 on: March 23, 2018, 04:20:36 PM »
Twist: all the data points are from HSBC employees trying to discourage churners.

Haha, that's a lot of employees.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #302 on: March 23, 2018, 05:21:47 PM »
The HSBC bonus CanuckExpat posted is a really good deal, you don't often see $350 for tying up $10k for 90 days.  The deal ends on Monday for anyone interested.

My $350 bonus posted today. It was a long wait, and I figured it wasn't coming, but it showed up.
The deal is alive again until the end of the month: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/hsbc-200-750-checking-bonus-direct-deposit-not-required/#Advance_Checking_350_Bonus

HSBC seems to be hit or miss for paying out

How long was that for your bonus to post? We just hit 90 days this week, wondering when I might see my $350.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #303 on: March 23, 2018, 07:34:49 PM »
How long was that for your bonus to post? We just hit 90 days this week, wondering when I might see my $350.

Looks like opening deposit Nov 14th 2017. Bonus posted Mar 22 2018

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #304 on: March 24, 2018, 07:26:32 AM »
The HSBC bonus CanuckExpat posted is a really good deal, you don't often see $350 for tying up $10k for 90 days.  The deal ends on Monday for anyone interested.

My $350 bonus posted today. It was a long wait, and I figured it wasn't coming, but it showed up.
The deal is alive again until the end of the month: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/hsbc-200-750-checking-bonus-direct-deposit-not-required/#Advance_Checking_350_Bonus

HSBC seems to be hit or miss for paying out

Most data points I see are saying roughly 120 days.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #305 on: April 07, 2018, 11:22:33 AM »
I don't know why it took me so long to add checking account churning to my list. For this year so far:

Name/ Bonus/ Annualized Return
Chase Checking, $300, 40.0%
Chase Savings, $200, 5.2%
Memory Bank Checking, $100, 66.7%
Wells Fargo Checking, $200, 2000.0%
Elements Financial Checking, $200, 80.0%

Compared to credit card bonuses, I really like that there is no hard credit pull and that I don't have to worry about a minimum spend. I also am able to change my paycheck deposit accounts to multiple accounts with specific numbers so it makes it easy to not have to worry about a ACH push being counted or not by a bank.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 11:56:15 AM by tralfamadorian »

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #306 on: April 08, 2018, 02:14:22 PM »
I did my first bank account churning today.  Thank God for Chase Bank...they are the gift that keeps on giving.  I did the checking for $300 bonus and the savings for a $200 bonus.  I'll be back to do the business checking for another $300 and will also take my wife up there to rinse and repeat.  I had a question on getting my wife a checking account.  She doesn't work so in order to get a direct deposit my employer allows me to split my check into several accounts as little as $25 a month.  Does anyone know if that will fit their direct deposit requirement so she will get the $300 bonus.  Funny thing is I had the private client guy drooling from the mouth once they started asking investing and net worth questions.  I simply had to smile and tell him as a fee conscious investor I didn't see how he'd be able to help me.....

yes, you can use your direct deposit into her account to meet the requirements.  We did this for my account with Chase.  I am self employed, but my husband can split his paycheck into several accounts, so we divided his into two accts (his and mine) with Chase and met the bonus requirements.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #307 on: April 09, 2018, 05:49:32 AM »
I don't know why it took me so long to add checking account churning to my list. For this year so far:

Compared to credit card bonuses, I really like that there is no hard credit pull and that I don't have to worry about a minimum spend. I also am able to change my paycheck deposit accounts to multiple accounts with specific numbers so it makes it easy to not have to worry about a ACH push being counted or not by a bank.

Yep, the downside is that the bonuses are taxable. I try to do a mix of both. I like the $500-$1000 spend for $200 statement credit cards as well. Very easy to hit a few of those throughout the year.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #308 on: April 23, 2018, 04:57:04 PM »

Yep, the downside is that the bonuses are taxable. I try to do a mix of both. I like the $500-$1000 spend for $200 statement credit cards as well. Very easy to hit a few of those throughout the year.

Just did chase business, it was a PITA.  They were really nice it just took forever with the upselling and “let me introduce you to the team” BS (she literally introduced me to every employee in the branch- luckily many were at lunch)

For $300, by really $200 after tax and $140 after opportunity cost, the hourly rate is getting pretty low

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #309 on: April 24, 2018, 05:18:49 AM »

Just did chase business, it was a PITA.  They were really nice it just took forever with the upselling and “let me introduce you to the team” BS (she literally introduced me to every employee in the branch- luckily many were at lunch)

For $300, by really $200 after tax and $140 after opportunity cost, the hourly rate is getting pretty low

That kind of sucks. The branch near me was busy so no introductions thankfully. Man you have a high tax rate. My wife does our taxes and our tax rate was under 10%. Keep in mind she works full time and I semi-fired around July. I am not sure how she pulled that one off.

I am actually struggling to keep up on some of the bank bonuses this year as I don't have enough in savings to hit all the ones I would like. 

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #310 on: April 24, 2018, 06:05:35 AM »
Sorry to hear that Chase business was a pita @dragoncar

My easiest so far has been Memory Bank. From opening to bonus to close was ~1 week.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #311 on: June 29, 2018, 09:26:08 AM »
Seems like a slam dunk, if you don't mind waiting nine months to double $200:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/fidelity-sign-up-for-investing-spending-accounts-get-200-bonus

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #312 on: June 29, 2018, 11:47:03 AM »
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/fidelity-sign-up-for-investing-spending-accounts-get-200-bonus

This is a great card for world travelers as well!

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #313 on: June 29, 2018, 12:02:44 PM »

It was such a slam dunk that they have already ended the promotion.  Glad I got both of ours opened.

If anyone is interested in the Citi checking bonuses ($200, $400 or $600), you need to sign up by tomorrow.  Info is here: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-400-600-personal-checking-savings-bonus-available-nationwide-direct-deposit-not-required/

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #314 on: June 29, 2018, 12:22:43 PM »
Current in progress bonuses:

Chase Biz - $300.00
Valley National - $200.00
WF Personal - $200.00

Need to open:
Suntrust - $200.00

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #315 on: June 29, 2018, 12:27:22 PM »

I went in and was a little pushier which I think helped. I was in and out after about 45 minutes, but I have many chase cards (personal and biz) as well as a pre-existing relationship. I just told them “I want this product, here is my sign up code, I don’t want any extras, and I have another appointment in an hour so we need to get this done.” They’d rather sign you up than not, so putting a strict time limit on banks for things like this tends to help.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #316 on: June 29, 2018, 03:27:24 PM »

It was such a slam dunk that they have already ended the promotion.  Glad I got both of ours opened.

If anyone is interested in the Citi checking bonuses ($200, $400 or $600), you need to sign up by tomorrow.  Info is here: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-400-600-personal-checking-savings-bonus-available-nationwide-direct-deposit-not-required/

I passed on the Citi. Ties up too much money for too long for me.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #317 on: June 29, 2018, 03:30:10 PM »

I went in and was a little pushier which I think helped. I was in and out after about 45 minutes, but I have many chase cards (personal and biz) as well as a pre-existing relationship. I just told them “I want this product, here is my sign up code, I don’t want any extras, and I have another appointment in an hour so we need to get this done.” They’d rather sign you up than not, so putting a strict time limit on banks for things like this tends to help.

I went and signed up for the $750 Huntington Business a couple days ago. Literally was in and out in 20 minutes. I didn't ask but the banker told me I can downgrade the account if I don't like the fees. I plan on doing that very thing once I get the business.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #318 on: June 29, 2018, 03:45:39 PM »
I've lost track, but I'm well over $1500 at this point.  Most recent have been:

Chase Business Checking: $300 (probably going to use this account for my business from here on out)
CapitalOne 360: $200 (not a very good return on $10K, but it also yields 1.6% and I'll probably keep my EF here from here on out)

I also tried the Elements Financial checking for $200 but either they are no longer "seeing" CapitalOne deposits as Direct Deposits, or I have screwed something up because it's been two weeks and no Bonus posted...

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #319 on: June 29, 2018, 05:32:25 PM »
Anyone do the chase business checking account that doesn't really have a business LOL?  I've got several business cc one being with them and have thought about it.  I do have a business that I make about 10k a year off but I run it as a sole proprietor and don't have tax numbers ect.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #320 on: June 29, 2018, 05:56:28 PM »

Thanks for mentioning this!  I was stalling on this for some reason...  It was an easy application process.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #321 on: June 29, 2018, 05:56:55 PM »
Anyone do the chase business checking account that doesn't really have a business LOL?  I've got several business cc one being with them and have thought about it.  I do have a business that I make about 10k a year off but I run it as a sole proprietor and don't have tax numbers ect.

You do have a small business so you do qualify for business accounts. Some banks have asked only for my SSN. Some ask for the business EIN. Some want both. Getting an EIN from the IRS is free and instant.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/apply-for-an-employer-identification-number-ein-online

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #322 on: June 29, 2018, 06:29:08 PM »
When I signed up for the chase business checking, they wanted my EIN

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #323 on: June 29, 2018, 06:36:10 PM »
Yes. Just say you’re in resale. If you’ve sold something on eBay/Craigslist, congrats! Resale. Your SSN is your TIN for sole proprietorship. Just tell them the business is your full name. They don’t ask too many questions other than what they need to plug in to open the account. I.e. what kind of business, expected profits, current assets, how long it’s been open, etc.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #324 on: June 29, 2018, 07:45:35 PM »
I just opened the Chase Business checking using just my social security number as a sole proprietor.

How much has everyone made so far for 2018, since we are now at the halfway point?

We (two player mode) are currently at $2900 paid, with another $3081 pending. 

I am shooting for $7,000 this year from banks, and $20,000 total from banks + credit cards + tradelines + other random stuff.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #325 on: June 29, 2018, 08:01:20 PM »
I just opened the Chase Business checking using just my social security number as a sole proprietor.

How much has everyone made so far for 2018, since we are now at the halfway point?

I am shooting for $7,000 this year from banks, and $20,000 total from banks + credit cards + tradelines + other random stuff.
I'm at a paltry $800 total for 2018 (most of it not paid out yet). Haven't seen many good offers in my state, I don't bother with anything under $200.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #326 on: June 30, 2018, 05:15:13 AM »

Dang that's awesome! If I had more money to play with I would probably be a bit higher. I've had a lot of side work come my way so I've been busy as hell this year. Not as much time to pursue every bonus.

Looks like we are at $1700 paid with another 2K pending. As far as CC's not sure. We did just get back from Florida and had our flights (4 people) hotel and rental car all paid for with CC rewards. Saved us roughly 2K at least.

We are selling more tradelines this year. I think these are drying up with some CC companies cracking down.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #327 on: July 02, 2018, 05:54:12 AM »

Seriously impressive kpd! You might smash your overall $20k goal.

2018 YTD: $3,330 total in bank accounts ($1500) and credit card bonuses ($1830). Might not get the $100 Incredible bonus because my employer screwed up DD and won’t hit by 7/15. I’ll try Vanguard and Discover ACH’s to see if those might trigger bonus, can’t believe there are still no data points for what qualifies as a direct deposit with Incredible bank.

Orin!

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #328 on: July 05, 2018, 01:24:56 AM »
I have made $3000 in bank account bonuses in the last two months. Florida is great. Props to doctorofcredit.com

Chase total checking $300
Discover savings $200
Discover savings player #2 $200
Discover savings player #3 $200
National Valley Bank $200
National Valley Bank player 2 $200
Suntrust $500
Memory bank $100
PNC $200
TD $150
Hancock $300
Elements $200
5 3rd $250
Fidelity $200

Total $3000

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #329 on: July 05, 2018, 09:32:18 AM »
I have made $3000 in bank account bonuses in the last two months. Florida is great. Props to doctorofcredit.com

Discover savings $200
Suntrust $500
Memory bank $100
PNC $200
TD $150
Hancock $300
Elements $200
5 3rd $250
Fidelity $200

Total $3000

Did you actually set up direct deposit for your elements checking bonus?  Mine is not posting using Capitalone360 transfers...

Orin!

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #330 on: July 05, 2018, 09:55:17 AM »

Discover savings $200
Suntrust $500
Memory bank $100
PNC $200
TD $150
Hancock $300
Elements $200
5 3rd $250
Fidelity $200

Total $3000

Did you actually set up direct deposit for your elements checking bonus?  Mine is not posting using Capitalone360 transfers...

I did not set up an actual DD on any of these except the first Chase account.

On Elements, which seems to have triggered it was a ACH push from Discover checking account. I did two of them of $501 and $502 and four days later it posted.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #331 on: July 05, 2018, 09:59:31 AM »

Discover savings $200
Suntrust $500
Memory bank $100
PNC $200
TD $150
Hancock $300
Elements $200
5 3rd $250
Fidelity $200

Total $3000

On Elements, which seems to have triggered it was a ACH push from Discover checking account. I did two of them of $501 and $502 and four days later it posted.

Is there a difference between an ACH push and an external deposit?  My two transfers have been tagged "External Deposits" on the Elements website
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 10:04:29 AM by v8rx7guy »

Orin!

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #332 on: July 05, 2018, 10:40:51 AM »

Discover savings $200
Suntrust $500
Memory bank $100
PNC $200
TD $150
Hancock $300
Elements $200
5 3rd $250
Fidelity $200

Total $3000

Is there a difference between an ACH push and an external deposit?  My two transfers have been tagged "External Deposits" on the Elements website

My Discover ACH push marked as an “external deposit” as well.

I first did an external push from a different bank at the end of May. A month went by and no bonus posted as I just threw some more at it from a different avenue and then it triggered. I really like my Discover checking account. It does pushes and pulls. I heard ally and Capitol 1 360 do the same.

In the end I don’t know if my first push trigger the elements bonus or the second. But I read people got their bonus shortly after so I threw Discover at it and then it posted four days later.

mckaylabaloney

• Bristles
« Reply #333 on: August 21, 2018, 10:49:33 AM »
Finally making the leap into this. I've been reluctant for a while, for dumb reasons -- which actually helps me better understand my family and friends who are skeptical of my credit card churning habits. But anyway, I'm doing it now. Opened a Citizens Bank account yesterday -- if all goes well, I should get $400 (less 1-3ish months worth of an unavoidable $25 fee) for a single $1000 DD.

Zacharias

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #334 on: August 21, 2018, 11:36:22 AM »
Finally making the leap into this. I've been reluctant for a while, for dumb reasons -- which actually helps me better understand my family and friends who are skeptical of my credit card churning habits. But anyway, I'm doing it now. Opened a Citizens Bank account yesterday -- if all goes well, I should get $400 (less 1-3ish months worth of an unavoidable $25 fee) for a single $1000 DD.

Welcome to the club. I did the same bonus and the good news is that if they follow the same procedure as with my account, the first 3 months of maintenance fee is waived. I received the bonus roughly 90 days after meeting the requirements and was able to close the account without any fees assessed.

mckaylabaloney

• Bristles
« Reply #335 on: August 21, 2018, 12:09:23 PM »

Welcome to the club. I did the same bonus and the good news is that if they follow the same procedure as with my account, the first 3 months of maintenance fee is waived. I received the bonus roughly 90 days after meeting the requirements and was able to close the account without any fees assessed.

Oh, that's great news! I've seen conflicting reports on how many months are waived and whatnot, so hopefully I will have the same experience as you. $400 for ~1 hour of work is insane.

What did you have to do to close the account?

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache

bernardnb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #337 on: August 21, 2018, 02:40:48 PM »

Did you use a true DD or one of the bank transfers that have qualified as a DD in the past?  I used a transfer from Chase, which there were several data points on that working, but was getting nervous it won't trigger.

I'm coming up on 90 days, so good to hear that you received yours around then.  Had seen some posts on DoC that people were getting their bonuses in the 2nd month.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #338 on: August 21, 2018, 07:00:19 PM »
Can someone answer my dumb question about chase bank bonuses?  :)

Does the 6 months to avoid an early termination fee start when the account is opened?  Ie not when fully funded, bonus posts, etc.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #339 on: August 21, 2018, 07:23:39 PM »
Can someone answer my dumb question about chase bank bonuses?  :)

Does the 6 months to avoid an early termination fee start when the account is opened?  Ie not when fully funded, bonus posts, etc.

Generally, yes, it's from when the account is opened.  I generally call the bank while I've got the account open and they'll tell you the exact date that you must keep the account open through.  Often I'll do it through the online message center so I can save a screen shot of their reply.  Then there's no question if they erroneously try to charge an account closure fee, although I've never had an erroneous fee charged to me by Chase.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #340 on: August 21, 2018, 07:25:02 PM »
Thanks! @secondcor521

Very helpful as always.

Zacharias

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #341 on: August 22, 2018, 08:27:06 AM »

Oh, that's great news! I've seen conflicting reports on how many months are waived and whatnot, so hopefully I will have the same experience as you. $400 for ~1 hour of work is insane.

What did you have to do to close the account?

I sent a secure message through their website using the Contact Us > Banking Questions > General Comments/Concerns and then selected account closure as the topic. They are slow to respond but it gets done without needing to go in branch.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 08:35:19 AM by Zacharias »

Zacharias

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #342 on: August 22, 2018, 08:31:18 AM »

Did you use a true DD or one of the bank transfers that have qualified as a DD in the past?  I used a transfer from Chase, which there were several data points on that working, but was getting nervous it won't trigger.

I'm coming up on 90 days, so good to hear that you received yours around then.  Had seen some posts on DoC that people were getting their bonuses in the 2nd month.

I used a transfer from my Amazon Payment account. Regarding the differing time table I'm not sure how they determine 2 or 3 months for the bonus. My wife and I opened accounts 1 day apart and sent our transfers on the same day but her bonus posted in month 2 while mine was month 3.

Gatzbie

• Stubble
« Reply #343 on: August 26, 2018, 10:00:40 AM »
Due to 401k kicking in soon (75% of paycheck will be going bye bye). Will meet direct deposit goal for checking account bonus at US bank but not enough to avoid monthly fee. Anyone familiar with alternate methods for direct deposits besides paycheck deposit by employer? Considering using PayPal as it might count.

Resource I found to meet direct deposit requirement (many other banks listed on here):
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/knowledge-base/list-methods-banks-count-direct-deposits/#US_Bank

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #344 on: August 26, 2018, 10:22:24 AM »
I've recently jumped into this and am happy with the results so far.

Bonuses paid:
$300 Bank of America checking
$300 TD Bank checking
$150 Discover savings
$150 Discover savings #2 (spouse)
$200 Capital One money market
$200 Capital One money market #2

Pending:
$400 Citizens checking
$200 M&T checking
up to $250 Bank of America--submitted a number of referrals which should yield $25 per successful referral

Totals:  $1300 paid, $600-850 pending

Looking to do soon:
Santander
Citizens #2
TD Bank #2
M&T #2
Small local bank offering 4% APY reward account up to $15k to hold loose cash between deployments.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 10:24:59 AM by Pizzabrewer »

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #345 on: August 26, 2018, 10:46:00 AM »
Due to 401k kicking in soon (75% of paycheck will be going bye bye). Will meet direct deposit goal for checking account bonus at US bank but not enough to avoid monthly fee. Anyone familiar with alternate methods for direct deposits besides paycheck deposit by employer? Considering using PayPal as it might count.

Resource I found to meet direct deposit requirement (many other banks listed on here):
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/knowledge-base/list-methods-banks-count-direct-deposits/#US_Bank
USBank has a way to keep the account fee free regardless of deposit if your credit score is high enough
https://www.usbank.com/bank-accounts/checking-accounts/credit-score-checking-account.html

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #346 on: September 04, 2018, 11:39:35 AM »
I see citi bank is offering a $400 bonus for a 15k deposit after 60 days.  Does anyone know how long you have to keep the account open?  I couldn't find it anywhere in the small print.  I know chase makes you keep the account open for 6 months.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #347 on: September 04, 2018, 12:31:18 PM »
I see citi bank is offering a $400 bonus for a 15k deposit after 60 days.  Does anyone know how long you have to keep the account open?  I couldn't find it anywhere in the small print.  I know chase makes you keep the account open for 6 months.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-400-600-personal-checking-savings-bonus-available-nationwide-direct-deposit-not-required/#Early_Termination_Fee

No early Termination Fee from what I can see

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #348 on: September 04, 2018, 12:33:17 PM »
I just added up all of my bonuses, I am at $2,300.  This is both personal and business checking accounts, there are some seriously lucrative business checking bonuses out there.

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #349 on: September 04, 2018, 01:39:48 PM »
I just added up all of my bonuses, I am at $2,300.  This is both personal and business checking accounts, there are some seriously lucrative business checking bonuses out there.

Nice!  I plan on doing the citi bonus for both my wife and I plus start looking into some small business accounts.  My goal is to try and cover our Christmas spending with bank bonuses.