Author Topic: Badass Thrift Store Shopping  (Read 56934 times)

affordablehousing

• Pencil Stache
Re: Badass Thrift Store Shopping
« Reply #200 on: June 17, 2022, 05:54:13 PM »
Just found a vintage Cosanti bronze wind chime at the street store! So excited I've always wanted one just didn't want to pay the $100.

Nutty

• Stubble
  • Late but haven't missed the train.
« Reply #201 on: June 20, 2022, 06:37:28 AM »
Picked up a cute little silver trash can on the last trip.  Why is it so heavy?  Oh, it's made from 304SS and is a 10 gallon barrel for $8.  No lid, but will work for brining turkeys!  Now I don't need a 10 gallon crockware for brining foods, it's deep and wide enough for most pieces of meat.  Just pull the shelves from the refrigerator and we are good. 

The complete barrels are $150 to $250 from an online search and used for brewing beers.  I'd like to find a lid and ring clamp for it, but I don't brew.  Yet.

I bet there is more than $8 of SS scrap value.  The things you find when you aren't looking.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #202 on: June 20, 2022, 08:45:15 AM »
I am trying to mostly sew with upcycled fabric, so I've been picking up stuff at Goodwill, the bins, Buy Nothing.

Last week I came home with a heavy-ish piece of black and white fabric for $2. Upon inspection it's a yard of vintage Marimekko from the 70s, and kind of valuable. Now I feel bad about making a tote bag! It may have to be pillows...

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #203 on: June 20, 2022, 09:03:03 AM »
I am trying to mostly sew with upcycled fabric, so I've been picking up stuff at Goodwill, the bins, Buy Nothing.

Last week I came home with a heavy-ish piece of black and white fabric for $2. Upon inspection it's a yard of vintage Marimekko from the 70s, and kind of valuable. Now I feel bad about making a tote bag! It may have to be pillows...
Hmmm, Katy over at the Non Consumer Advocate frequently finds Marimekko fabric and resells it tor very good prices on eBay. Whatever makes you happiest is the right thing to do, no matter how valuable the fabric. Someone clearly had it for a long time without doing anything with it.

Related: I worked a shift at the Thrift Shop last week and someone donated eight or nine bolts of fabric cheery. It caught my eye, but I couldn't visualize a use for it. I decided that passing on it meant someone else was going to be thrilled.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #204 on: June 20, 2022, 05:05:17 PM »
I needed a platter to take some food to a party. Ran to my nearest thrift store, found two new matching platters for 99c each. The tag color was 50% off that day so I was able to get both for $1!
I forgot them at the host's home but it doesn't matter if I don't get them back.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #205 on: June 22, 2022, 07:01:54 AM »
Found a cute Star Wars backpack, new with tags, and it had the 50% off tag so it was like $4.  I didn't tell my son where it came from.  He hates the thrift store (where have I gone wrong??). 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #206 on: June 22, 2022, 07:44:52 AM »
Found a cute Star Wars backpack, new with tags, and it had the 50% off tag so it was like $4.  I didn't tell my son where it came from.  He hates the thrift store (where have I gone wrong??).
Don't despair, he's young and still has plenty of time to change his mind.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #207 on: June 22, 2022, 07:04:59 PM »
I just passed up a vintage marimekko bag at goodwill tonight.  Last summer I was selling stuff on eBay but I’ve slowly let myself stop, and have recently been considering just donating my box of items I intended to sell… so while this bag was very tempting to flip, it wasn’t in great shape, and I didn’t want to obligate myself to flipping and selling it and all the other things… right now my time is better spent on my family and my day job and I’d benefit from letting go of excess stuff.  Shew. So I let marimekko sit. I did text a photo of it to a friend who does some flipping, so maybe she’ll benefit.

And in great practical finds, I bought the car charger for my breast milk pump for 99cents.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 07:07:04 PM by PMG »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #208 on: June 22, 2022, 10:26:49 PM »
I just passed up a vintage marimekko bag at goodwill tonight.  Last summer I was selling stuff on eBay but I’ve slowly let myself stop, and have recently been considering just donating my box of items I intended to sell… so while this bag was very tempting to flip, it wasn’t in great shape, and I didn’t want to obligate myself to flipping and selling it and all the other things… right now my time is better spent on my family and my day job and I’d benefit from letting go of excess stuff.  Shew. So I let marimekko sit. I did text a photo of it to a friend who does some flipping, so maybe she’ll benefit.

And in great practical finds, I bought the car charger for my breast milk pump for 99cents.
You are one badass thrift store shopper, PMG!

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #209 on: June 23, 2022, 07:35:43 AM »
Don't despair, he's young and still has plenty of time to change his mind.

Yes, my girls were horrified by thrift/yard sale stuff as tweens/early teens, and they definitely all got over it - especially once it was their own money they were spending!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #210 on: June 27, 2022, 04:04:18 AM »

I did my regular Sunday shift working at the local thrift store yesterday.  Excitement for the day was that someone donated a leather Peter Millar rolling duffel bag that retailed for $1600 new.  (Wuttt?  Who buys something like that?)  I passed on it because I have no need, but was glad the thrift store will benefit.  I had no idea what price to put on it, and left it for the regular weekday crew that will come in Monday morning. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #211 on: June 27, 2022, 03:07:08 PM »

I did my regular Sunday shift working at the local thrift store yesterday.  Excitement for the day was that someone donated a leather Peter Millar rolling duffel bag that retailed for $1600 new.  (Wuttt?  Who buys something like that?)  I passed on it because I have no need, but was glad the thrift store will benefit.  I had no idea what price to put on it, and left it for the regular weekday crew that will come in Monday morning.
Wowza!

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #212 on: June 27, 2022, 06:17:19 PM »
Still no good thrift stores happening here, but I’ve been killing it at the garage sales lately.   A few weeks ago I got went to a huge community sale and lucked out by finding a guy that was moving and selling everything, he had a garage full of tools and fishing gear that I got really cheap, so I asked him if he had any hunting stuff and he said I could buy all his gear for $500, so I went into the house and had a look, it was easily worth $3k used so that was a huge score.  A week ago I went to a sale that was advertised, but they canceled due to weather, so I asked the guy what he had, it was basically all tools, so I got to have a look before anyone else and picked up a full truck load of tools and equipment for $1100, including a snowblower, tiller, mig welder, makita compressor, stihl chainsaw and a large assortment of other tools.  Then today I stumbled upon another tool sale and the guy was blowing stuff out at stupid cheap prices, including a Honda water pump, weed whacker, set of tires and a ton of tool boxes and misc tools and a fancy hiking backpack all for $130. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 06:55:30 PM by JAYSLOL »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #213 on: June 27, 2022, 11:43:30 PM »
Wow! Badass indeed!

Mountainbug

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #214 on: June 28, 2022, 06:30:15 AM »
This weekend my family was driving to Lowes to buy a mirror for our garage gym with some cash from selling our unwanted things. Stopped by a garage sale in our neighborhood and found two mirrors in the approximate size I was wanting, $5 each. The nice lady running the sale even threw in a toy each for my little gremlins. So glad I told the hubs to stop!

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #215 on: July 24, 2022, 06:12:37 AM »
We had a couple of nice scores from our local op shop: a good, clearly hardly used Dutch oven and a Tefal frying pan (together for 6 bucks) plus a beautifully coloured (albeit a bit worn) Persian rug, 9x9 feet, for less than 50 EUR. DH has a thing about handmade old rugs, so we have gotten most of our rugs this way or from flea-markets. And the colour is really beautiful. The most threadbare corner fits nicely under the sofa, and the texture is very pleasant.

It seems that the op shop gets most of their stuff from well-off boomers dying off, so the stuff has often been quite expensive in their days. The heirs seem to not want to bother with ebay sell-offs, so they just drop it at the thrift store.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #216 on: July 24, 2022, 08:06:41 AM »
Was wanting some plastic storage bins for clothes (as the place I'm storing my stuff has mouse problems).  Stopped at a garage sale and got 4 huge bins for $15   (saw single bins at aldi that were half the size for $10 each). 

Went to a thrift shop in Dubuque on vacation, got a pair of black patent snake print with short heels - Stuart Weitzman for $2.  Regular retail around $475.   Too bad they're not more comfortable, have to be selective about what events to wear them.   

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #217 on: July 24, 2022, 08:46:05 AM »
I like deep, white ceramic bowls for oatmeal, because they don't boil over. I found a set of four from Crate & Barrel that are the perfect size yesterday, priced at $4/set. Bonus: it was 40% off everything day, so they ended up being 40 cents per bowl.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #218 on: July 25, 2022, 10:52:32 AM »
Swung past goodwill to look for shorts for me and T-shirts for Mr. InCO. Found a couple of decent shirts for him (two Tees and a button-down), and two pairs of shorts that fit me. One was white, but I realized: hey! I'm well past menopause, so the worst that can happen is I sit in something, or spill on myself, or try to wipe off my hands on my shorts, and for $5, I'm willing to risk it!

Also picked up a couple of smaller-than-our-cereal bowl sized bowls (we've been having a lot of cold soups lately, and I'd prefer slightly less enormous bowls for that) and a smaller-than-our-serving-bowl sized serving bowl, because we're about to be down to just two of us, and it's a good size for, say, two people's worth of fruit salad for dessert.

I'm actually trying to equip us with all the smaller serving pieces we need to just be making nice-looking dinners for two, and also to replace some of our mixing bowls with something prettier. (I'm planning a kitchen remodel, and thinking about replacing some upper cabinets with shelves. Glass multi-use (mixing and serving) bowls will look just lovely on those, and meanwhile I get to touch something prettier every time I mix one thing with another.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #219 on: September 16, 2022, 09:30:02 AM »
We just moved to a new location where winter is a thing.  I decided to hit up the local goodwill to see what they might have suitable for my 6-yo (I'm a bit less concerned about husband and self, as we aren't changing size every year we have a reasonable stash of cold weather gear, also looking for stuff for 3 people was just more than I had time/mental capacity for).

Anyway, I got some good stuff!  Not rock-bottom cheap, but in decent condition and way cheaper than new.  I got:

-Columbia brand puffy jacket, with hood and that reflective interior stuff that makes it extra toasty.
-REI brand winter jacket (basically a heavy duty rain jacket with a thick fleece lining)
-long underwear bottoms
-snow pants
-a pair of regular pants (all his current ones have holes in the knees thanks to his tree climbing addiction)
-a couple of lightweight technical long-sleeve t-shirts, which should be about the right size next summer when it's 100 degrees and humid out.

All of that was $50, so like I said, not quite rock bottom.  But the puffer jacket alone retails for $130 and apparently school recess is held outdoors unless the windchill goes to minus 10 or lower so...yeah.  Feeling pretty good about my haul!

lifeandlimb

• Stubble
« Reply #220 on: September 16, 2022, 09:52:15 AM »
My friend recently turned me onto online secondhand shopping specifically for outdoor technical clothing (expensive stuff!). I was surprised at how many quality pieces I've seen in really good shape. She chalks it up to many people trying to get into new hobbies and then finding out they don't enjoy them.

This is especially handy for someone at the extreme end of the size range like me. Sometimes shops don't even stock my size in new clothing.

In the past year I've gotten:
-Merino wool outdoor shirt for half off on Poshmark
-Expensive fleece jacket for half off on REI Used Gear
-Designer dress for over half off on Poshmark

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #221 on: September 17, 2022, 05:57:54 AM »
My friend recently turned me onto online secondhand shopping specifically for outdoor technical clothing (expensive stuff!). I was surprised at how many quality pieces I've seen in really good shape. She chalks it up to many people trying to get into new hobbies and then finding out they don't enjoy them.

This is especially handy for someone at the extreme end of the size range like me. Sometimes shops don't even stock my size in new clothing.

Ooh, thanks for this Intel. Paging @NinetyFour...

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #222 on: September 17, 2022, 06:10:39 AM »
Thanks, @Dicey and @lifeandlimb !  I have not yet checked out REI Used Gear, but I will!

snic

• Bristles
« Reply #223 on: September 17, 2022, 01:01:29 PM »
We were in Iceland, of all places. There's a thrift market every weekend in Reykjavik. We visited on a whim half an hour before it closed. My daughter found a puffer coat that fit her perfectly and was almost new, $11. (She also bought a nearly-new Patagonia jacket at a thrift shop in LA for $1.)

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #224 on: September 17, 2022, 01:05:32 PM »
We had a few good scores this year in terms of carpets and llama hair blankets from the op shop. This will come in handy for this winter's heating challenge. I don't need any new clothes, but DH has gotten some really good high quality boots and jackets for the winter. He estimates 600 quid worth of good quality stuff for basically 20 bucks.

Other than foodstuff/pet supplies and tools/renovation items, we only buy second hand. It's amazing, what ppl give away. DH really got an eye for bargains, coming from a family of milliners and farmers, who thrived on quality recognition. This is probably part of the reason why our things last for ages. His motto: "I am too poor to afford shitty things".

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #225 on: September 19, 2022, 12:05:00 PM »

Is there a trick to shopping REI Used Gear? I can see items, but can't click on anything. I don't see any particular instructions about requiring a log-in to shop, etc. Help!

affordablehousing

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #226 on: September 19, 2022, 03:00:03 PM »
I have only been able to get used gear at the store, maybe they don't let you buy it online as it's too hard to judge condition.

On another note, does anyone know why it's so hard to find good minifridges that fit under the counter on the street? I've had it on my list for a couple months and I don't see any good ones. Are they really popular? I feel like people would throw them out all the time.... but maybe not? I haven't bought any small appliances in so long I just can't really imagine starting now.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #227 on: September 19, 2022, 04:50:37 PM »
I have only been able to get used gear at the store, maybe they don't let you buy it online as it's too hard to judge condition.

On another note, does anyone know why it's so hard to find good minifridges that fit under the counter on the street? I've had it on my list for a couple months and I don't see any good ones. Are they really popular? I feel like people would throw them out all the time.... but maybe not? I haven't bought any small appliances in so long I just can't really imagine starting now.
Might be a timing thing. End of semester/school year in a college area would be easy pickings, I'd think. You might also post "ISO" (in search of) ads on your favorite listservs.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #228 on: September 19, 2022, 10:02:38 PM »

Might be a timing thing. End of semester/school year in a college area would be easy pickings, I'd think. You might also post "ISO" (in search of) ads on your favorite listservs.

Yep, especially in the pre-Craigslist days, the student housing areas were amazing places to find tons of free stuff like mini fridges, sporting good and tons of random stuff all left out for free at the end of the school year because they couldn’t bring it home.  Now I’m not sure as much as people can easily throw things on marketplace and get cash before moving out, but I’m sure there’s at least more supply of that kind of thing at the end of school year

lifeandlimb

• Stubble
« Reply #229 on: September 20, 2022, 08:21:09 AM »
@Dicey @NinetyFour I just realized that the REI Used Gear section probably requires a REI membership/login. I got one about a decade ago, so I just checked what it entails now. It's a $30 one-time fee and as far as I know it lasts a lifetime.

I believe without a membership you can still shop REI Outlet (more past-season deals rather than pre-owned. I think the discounts aren't as large).

affordablehousing

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #230 on: September 20, 2022, 10:19:38 AM »
That sounds about right. And the REI membership I think entitles you to a dividend check on all the normal price stuff you get (which often is nothing since most things are on sale). I can vouch for the outlet though. I got a really powerful headlamp for $20 that kept me in bright light for my whole cripple wall brace and bolt project. It was a $100 lamp discounted and seemed to have been in as-new condition. Not as good as a street find, but for something specific a great deal.

Yes I've been surprised at the fridges. I keep the college schedule on my radar, have a scout that lives nearby, walks a dog and is supposed to alert me to any things on my list. Maybe students aren't keeping dorm fridges as often anymore? Are there more like full size fridges in common rooms now?

We just found a portable dishwasher on the street. Maybe I'll sell that and the 6 heaters I've been saving to sell in the winter heating season and just buy a fridge. Not sure why I'm so indignant the street store isn't providing here, I just really feel let down by it. L'Avenue usually knows what I want.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #231 on: September 20, 2022, 10:36:30 AM »
I see dorm fridges on Buy Nothing/Zero Waste pretty often.

Recently found a whole bunch of actually nice yarn at Goodwill @ $2.99/skein. I was surprised - they usually just have half used balls of acrylic and I think the nicer stuff goes to the online store. But there's my winter's knitting sorted.

My Goodwill had a ton of high end summer stuff last week, so I think the local stores have shipped their summer clearance out. I bought some Prana tops for next summer.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #232 on: September 20, 2022, 12:35:19 PM »
This thread inspired me.  I needed some new-to-me clothes for my new part-time gig, and scored 4 pairs of pants and one shirt at our Goodwill for $30.  Shopping for clothes is usually a dreadfully tedious chore for me, but today the clothing goddesses were with me, as it was a pretty painless trip.  Yay!!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #233 on: September 21, 2022, 09:56:30 AM »
@Dicey @NinetyFour I just realized that the REI Used Gear section probably requires a REI membership/login. I got one about a decade ago, so I just checked what it entails now. It's a $30 one-time fee and as far as I know it lasts a lifetime.

I believe without a membership you can still shop REI Outlet (more past-season deals rather than pre-owned. I think the discounts aren't as large).
I have a membership that's so old, I paid nothing for it. Logging in was the first thing I tried. Maybe the site was having problems. I might try using a different browser today.

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #234 on: September 21, 2022, 01:12:43 PM »
Most recent street-store find: a free but banged up patio table from a neighbors move-out pile. 2 cans of rust-oleum ($20--when did paint get so expensive???) and one set of plastic hardware ($15?), and I have the turquoise table I had been fantasizing about.

Poshmark is hit-or-miss for me. I sold a pair of slightly-too-small Frye boots (sigh, having 2 kids made my feet grow) and got back nearly what I paid for them. I bought one Eileen Fisher wool cardigan that was absolutely gorgeous, but so soaked in someone else's perfume that no amount of handwashing would get rid of the smell. I sent it to ThredUp along with a few other items, and now I have a $50 credit for a replacement.

I'm a big fan of ThredUp these days, because thrift stores in my area are not great, and I do not have the time to sift through the piles looking for gems. ThredUp at least lets me set up filters so I can find exactly what I need.

My best ThredUp find was like-new suiting, which I used for job interviews last winter and this spring. I got a black wool Banana Republic suit jacket and pants for $24 total. They fit beautifully, and wearing them, I got a new job that pays about 40% more than my previous job. That was by far my baddest-ass score.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 01:16:16 PM by tyrannostache »

affordablehousing

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #235 on: September 23, 2022, 10:52:06 PM »
Just found another dinner on the street - two gallons of EVOO, two pounds of whole bean coffee, mac and cheese for the kids, bread loaves, tofu that was still cold, a sealed bottle of zyrtec, and to trade for the food I didn't find, 60' of short cuts of 2 gauge copper wire. How does this particular assemblage occur? Like, I'll throw out my pantry, and while I'm at it cut apart my main house power line? Copper has come down in price, I'll add it to the stash in case there's an upswing.

nyxst

• Bristles
    • AgainstAllOdds
« Reply #236 on: September 24, 2022, 08:56:36 PM »
I found a new with tags collared shirt for my son at the thrift store for $1.50.... on a half-off day, so I paid $0.75. It has little bicycles all over it and when I brought it home he loved it! It was a little too big. He decided it was going to be his school picture day shirt.
That was 10 years ago... and he wore it for EVERY school picture since... it became a running joke! He just had his high school senior pictures done (now he is 6'1" and around 200lbs..., so a little bit bigger than when he was 8 years old!), and he squeezed into it one last time! It looked fantastic :) That was a good thrift store find for sure! Now I want to pack It away in the event he has kids in the future I could pass it down :)
He's a very funny kid :)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #237 on: September 25, 2022, 12:15:27 AM »
I found a new with tags collared shirt for my son at the thrift store for $1.50.... on a half-off day, so I paid $0.75. It has little bicycles all over it and when I brought it home he loved it! It was a little too big. He decided it was going to be his school picture day shirt.
That was 10 years ago... and he wore it for EVERY school picture since... it became a running joke! He just had his high school senior pictures done (now he is 6'1" and around 200lbs..., so a little bit bigger than when he was 8 years old!), and he squeezed into it one last time! It looked fantastic :) That was a good thrift store find for sure! Now I want to pack It away in the event he has kids in the future I could pass it down :)
Except that I don't want it to end, I would declare this post the winner of the thread. Love it!

This Senior Mustachian, with the authority vested in me by [somethingsomething] officially confers upon him the honorific of "Bad Ass Badass". It's a very prestigious award, usually conferred by a dragon with a car, but he's busy right now, so I'll happily do the honors.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #238 on: September 29, 2022, 11:37:32 AM »
I bought a giant piece of framed art at thrift store for $35. The frame and glass were what I wanted, the print was ick.

I ordered an art print  I like for around $100 and a color appropriate mat for $25. I tarted up the silver frame with silver leaf, to match the finish of the cabinet below it. The entire big piece cost around $175.
While that ain’t cheap, I compare it to a newly minted print and a new framing job by a professional, one I bought a few weeks later. That bill was $600.00.

I now have certain frames on my thrift store shopping list.

JupiterGreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #239 on: September 29, 2022, 12:47:06 PM »
Most recent street-store find: a free but banged up patio table from a neighbors move-out pile. 2 cans of rust-oleum ($20--when did paint get so expensive???) and one set of plastic hardware ($15?), and I have the turquoise table I had been fantasizing about.

Poshmark is hit-or-miss for me. I sold a pair of slightly-too-small Frye boots (sigh, having 2 kids made my feet grow) and got back nearly what I paid for them. I bought one Eileen Fisher wool cardigan that was absolutely gorgeous, but so soaked in someone else's perfume that no amount of handwashing would get rid of the smell. I sent it to ThredUp along with a few other items, and now I have a $50 credit for a replacement.

I'm a big fan of ThredUp these days, because thrift stores in my area are not great, and I do not have the time to sift through the piles looking for gems. ThredUp at least lets me set up filters so I can find exactly what I need.

My best ThredUp find was like-new suiting, which I used for job interviews last winter and this spring. I got a black wool Banana Republic suit jacket and pants for $24 total. They fit beautifully, and wearing them, I got a new job that pays about 40% more than my previous job. That was by far my baddest-ass score.

I've never heard of ThredUp, would you say that Poshmark or Thredup is better for selling? I've got a whole pile of sell worthy clothes some name brands are quite pricy so I was thinking Poshmark, but saw your post and thought I'd ask your opinion about selling on both of these platforms.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #240 on: September 30, 2022, 08:27:28 AM »

I've never heard of ThredUp, would you say that Poshmark or Thredup is better for selling? I've got a whole pile of sell worthy clothes some name brands are quite pricy so I was thinking Poshmark, but saw your post and thought I'd ask your opinion about selling on both of these platforms.

I feel like Postmark is a bit more for trendy brands than ThredUp, but if it's designer stuff look at RealReal?

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #241 on: September 30, 2022, 08:56:13 AM »
Yesterday I scored a whole set of red cookware, matching my Big Chill red stove. These pants are really a nice condition, they are not bent or worn in any way. I was standing in the aisle when they were putting the sat out on the shelves so boy was I there at the right time.

JupiterGreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #242 on: September 30, 2022, 11:23:55 AM »

I feel like Postmark is a bit more for trendy brands than ThredUp, but if it's designer stuff look at RealReal?

Oh thank you, I've heard of that one I'll check it out!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #243 on: September 30, 2022, 07:33:05 PM »
With ThredUp, you send your items in blind. They take what they can consign and when they sell, a small percentage of the sale price goes into your account. You can use it as store credit or cash out. They post the clothes to the site and shoppers buy from ThredUp and ThredUp ships them out. If they decide your clothes aren't worth selling, you have to pay to get them back. There's no way to find out what they will sell for.

Poshmark is more of a direct sale site. You take pictures and set your price and the shopper buys from you. You ship the item.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #244 on: October 01, 2022, 08:42:03 AM »
Except that I don't want it to end, I would declare this post the winner of the thread. Love it!

This Senior Mustachian, with the authority vested in me by [somethingsomething] officially confers upon him the honorific of "Bad Ass Badass". It's a very prestigious award, usually conferred by a dragon with a car, but he's busy right now, so I'll happily do the honors.

Fantastic...all of it--the shirt, photos and then topped off with a Bad Ass Badass award-ceremony--doesn't get much better :)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #245 on: October 03, 2022, 03:37:49 AM »

My DD and I volunteer at a thrift store, and one of the perks is that we can buy clothing and shoes for 50 cents a piece.  This past week DD scored a brand new pair of beautiful leather Merrell shoes.  50 cents!

It was serendipity because she was starting a new job and really needed a nice looking pair of shoes.   

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #246 on: October 03, 2022, 06:24:53 AM »
My dh has season tickets to the college football games. Last year, they sat in a "white" section so his game shirts are white. This year they're in a "red" section. Yesterday I solved his game shirt issue by picking up both a long sleeved and short sleeved shirt in the *right* colors. I didn't even wait for them to be half price!

Licensed team stuff is so expensive...

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #247 on: October 03, 2022, 07:03:13 AM »

My DD and I volunteer at a thrift store, and one of the perks is that we can buy clothing and shoes for 50 cents a piece.  This past week DD scored a brand new pair of beautiful leather Merrell shoes.  50 cents!

It was serendipity because she was starting a new job and really needed a nice looking pair of shoes.

That’s crazy, the “thrift” stores around here are notoriously overpriced, like when you see a dollar store item that has been donated to them they will literally slap their (larger) pricing sticker of say $4.99 over the $1 price tag from the dollar store down the street.  $5 shirt new from Walmart that’s now used?  Yup, it’s $8.99 on the rack at the “thrift” store, suckers. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #248 on: October 03, 2022, 08:59:57 AM »

That’s crazy, the “thrift” stores around here are notoriously overpriced, like when you see a dollar store item that has been donated to them they will literally slap their (larger) pricing sticker of say $4.99 over the $1 price tag from the dollar store down the street.  $5 shirt new from Walmart that’s now used?  Yup, it’s $8.99 on the rack at the “thrift” store, suckers.
Oof, I feel that way at Goodwill.  Even though there's one extremely close, pass it every day close, I rarely darken their door. If I do it's usually to donate something "my" thrift shop doesn't need/can't sell.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #249 on: October 03, 2022, 09:00:31 AM »

Sweet!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!