Author Topic: Back from a free 7 day vacation in Kauai  (Read 3228 times)

PatronWizard11

• Stubble
Back from a free 7 day vacation in Kauai
« on: March 17, 2016, 01:34:30 PM »
and in less than 7 days, book my 2017 February Hawaii vacation. (booked so far out because American Airline is about to devalue a little bit)

My family of 4 (Wife/2 kids) stayed at the Grand Hyatt for 6 nights and flew on Delta. $33 TSA fee was all we paid to get there and back plus free lodging.

This time, we're staying on the Big Island for 4 nights (Hilton) and then Oahu for 2 (Hyatt) so we can do Pearl Harbor. Same deal with $33 TSA and everything else is free.

all from credit card points

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:31:48 AM by homelesshobbit »

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
Re: Back from a free 7 day vacation in Kauai
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 01:37:33 AM »
Good job. However, I think the title should say "free flight" and not "free vacation"

Alaska airlines does a $99 companion fare (plus taxes) each year with their credit card. My wife and I fly back and forth from Kauai to Denver. Last winter we paid $800 for a regular fare ticket around Christmas. When we added in the companion fare it was $950 for 2 tickets. First checked bag is free for everyone in your party with the card too. Most connections are through Seattle.

PatronWizard11

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 09:07:13 AM »
Good job. However, I think the title should say "free flight" and not "free vacation"

Alaska airlines does a $99 companion fare (plus taxes) each year with their credit card. My wife and I fly back and forth from Kauai to Denver. Last winter we paid $800 for a regular fare ticket around Christmas. When we added in the companion fare it was $950 for 2 tickets. First checked bag is free for everyone in your party with the card too. Most connections are through Seattle.

free flights, the resort stays plus checked bags being free, 150 resort credit for lunches, breakfast in the room cereal, AA points for the car rental, free beach, no resort fees. paid for some meals off site and made sandwiches some days too. So, Almost free vacation but it was way more than free flights.

I just noticed you live in Kauai...man, that must be awesome...all the pictures I took on my camera are pretty much desktop wallpaper ready. from the beaches, waterfalls, hiking trails, the beautiful water, just everything!

my current desktop

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:30:08 AM by homelesshobbit »

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 09:22:58 AM »
$33 TSA fee was all we paid to get there and back plus lodging.
This wording was unclear. You meant the trip "including lodging" was free.

Very cool!  I find it harder to get extended hotel stays for free, but I've gotten lots of free airfare since I started travel hacking.

PatronWizard11

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 09:31:25 AM »
$33 TSA fee was all we paid to get there and back plus lodging.
This wording was unclear. You meant the trip "including lodging" was free.

Very cool!  I find it harder to get extended hotel stays for free, but I've gotten lots of free airfare since I started travel hacking.

Ahh, I see the disconnect. Yep, bad wording on my part; I appologize.

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 09:48:06 AM »
Awesome!  Our next vacation is likely to be a trip to Kauai.  Congratulations on your free vacation for your whole family, nice work!

smedleyb

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 05:47:11 PM »
Mmmm, Kauai Grand Hyatt.  One of my faves.  Probably missed the OP by a week.