Author Topic: Baby Steps!  (Read 1819 times)

PinkFrugalRunner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Baby Steps!
« on: March 31, 2015, 09:52:26 AM »
Awhile ago, I posted about my resolve not to buy any new clothes, shoes, etc. for at least a month after discovering Mustachianism and quickly realizing my closet was already overstuffed. I'm happy to say I've taken a baby step forward in my journey to FIRE, not only not purchasing ANY new clothes or other wearables for 9 weeks (and I'm tacking April on to my personal challenge too!) but by consigning a lot of what I don't need. You can follow my journey here: https://renaissancerunnergirl.wordpress.com/2015/03/31/vivacious-vegetables-roasted-parmesan-cauliflower/

(as for the name of the link, I included a recipe in my recap post!) I've also gone Costco-exploring and will be posting about some delicious and frugal finds there soon...

Cougar

• Bristles
Re: Baby Steps!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 10:07:50 AM »

congrats.

i finally broke down and bought new shirts in march this year, but my previous stops of jos a bank and nordstroms are now just places i pass by. got shirts at steinmart i liked just as much for 1/3 less.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Baby Steps!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 10:34:20 AM »
If you stop and think about it--we almost never really need new clothes. Even poor quality clothing last much longer than the average person keeps it. The consumeristic purchasing of new clothing is a huge drain on the bank account for most people. The Commerce Department actually categorizes clothing as an "entertainment" expense, since that's mostly what it is for most people. It's one of the easiest ways for most people to start saving serious money.