Author Topic: Australian mobile plan guide!  (Read 42447 times)

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
Re: Australian mobile plan guide!
« Reply #150 on: August 10, 2018, 11:10:05 PM »
My wife recently switched from Virgin to Vodafone through Kogan for 20% off via ebay for 365 day plans. She gets 7G a month data, unlimited local/national call for just over $13 a month. She's used it around Canberra, Sydney and in between with no issues at all. I'll be joining her in Jan when my phone contract with Virgin is completed.

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #151 on: August 10, 2018, 11:20:29 PM »
Thanks for all your hard work, Dean.

I am currently sticking with ALDI and take the $15 a month prepaid pack. It now includes 1.5GB of data and the data will rollover each month to a cap of 30GB.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Got that mustache feeling.
« Reply #152 on: August 12, 2018, 09:44:04 AM »
Right, I think itís probably time to bring this guide in to land.
[snip]
Peace *drops microphone*

Wise closing words have been snipped. Heed them, gentle readers.

Dean, it's been a pleasure all these years, and I appreciate your own efforts and our personal back and forth on this stuff. We had a good run.

alsoknownasDean

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #153 on: August 20, 2018, 10:02:18 PM »
Right, I think itís probably time to bring this guide in to land.
[snip]
Peace *drops microphone*

Wise closing words have been snipped. Heed them, gentle readers.

Dean, it's been a pleasure all these years, and I appreciate your own efforts and our personal back and forth on this stuff. We had a good run.

Thanks Daley, I've also much appreciated our discussions and your advice/input.

After a bit of thought, whilst the guide with list of carriers/plans is more effort to maintain than I can be bothered sparing, I wonder if there's still some value in a discussion thread (this or a new one) here about these topics (from an Australian perspective/situation). Potentially the scope could change as a result, especially with the ongoing NBN rollout and with 5G on the horizon.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 10:20:05 PM by alsoknownasDean »

alsoknownasDean

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #154 on: August 20, 2018, 10:51:33 PM »
I signed up to Kogan Mobile back in March when it was heavily discounted. The Vodafone network has generally been fine, I've seen over 200mbps from speedtests here in Melbourne, and coverage has been good (I did have a couple of small spots of missing coverage when on holiday but nothing major). I paid for the annual 16GB recharge, which I've found is far more than I tend to use, even when I went on holidays away from wifi, and this month I've barely used half of it despite doing a bunch of speedtests. I should have saved the $50 and gone for the 6GB (now 7GB).

I tried Google Play Music and Apple Music, and ended up going back to Spotify. The $11.99 for premium is a price I'm more than happy to pay.

What about home internet? How many of you have switched providers upon connecting to the NBN? The NBN hasn't yet arrived in my area, but I'll have probably moved before it arrives. For now I'll stick with my reliable iiNet ADSL.

Notch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #155 on: August 21, 2018, 05:06:57 AM »
What about home internet? How many of you have switched providers upon connecting to the NBN? The NBN hasn't yet arrived in my area, but I'll have probably moved before it arrives. For now I'll stick with my reliable iiNet ADSL.

I switched from paying Telstra $75pm for 100GB of 12/1 ADSL2+, to paying Belong (Telstra) $50pm for 100GB of 12/1 NBN :)

alsoknownasDean

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #156 on: September 19, 2018, 08:13:44 AM »
Who here has been lining up to pay $2000+ for the latest iPhone (iPhone XS Max 512GB is $2369AUD)? No-one? Good.

Crazy how expensive the things are nowadays.