Author Topic: Asked for a raise and paid vacation, and got it!  (Read 3060 times)

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
Asked for a raise and paid vacation, and got it!
« on: March 05, 2020, 07:00:57 PM »
I came to my current position about 20 months ago. They started me at $700/day with $980/wk per diem with no paid time off. After 6 months they upped me to $850/day along with the per diem, without me even asking!

I’ve really been killing it the last year, taking on more projects, more hours, and a bigger role, than basically anyone else on the project team.

2 weeks ago I asked to go from 850/day (based on 10 hour days, I work 55-60 hrs a week) to switch to hourly at $90/hr + per diem with time and a half overtime (I’ll continue working the same hours), plus, 3 weeks paid vacation!! Maybe paid holidays, but still not 100%.

I couldn’t be more pumped. I know I’ve been busting my ass and running circles around my coworkers, so glad that it’s being recognized by my bosses. I started off in the skilled trades 10 years ago and have moved up in construction, very fortunate to have made it to where I’m at.

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
Re: Asked for a raise and paid vacation, and got it!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 04:24:33 AM »
Nice work.  They obviously recognize what a good job you're doing.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 05:39:40 AM »
You are almost outstripping my abilities at mental arithmetic.  Congratulations.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 08:01:01 AM »
Good shit!! That's some crazy high pay, but you work your ASS OFF!

Staunch Aim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 09:08:46 AM »
Aaaaaawesome!!!

EliteZags

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 03:54:06 PM »
what position/industry, do you have to work out of some remote location thus the per diem

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 07:11:44 PM »
what position/industry, do you have to work out of some remote location thus the per diem

In many large industrial construction projects (think Chemical Plants, Nuclear Plants, Refineries, Power Plants, Pipelines, Terminal Stations) they hire a huge amount of contractors for temporary positions. If you’re not local to the area (they cannot typically find enough skilled local workforce’s) they nearly always pay a per diem. The downside to this, is that in the last 10 years I’ve probably moved 20+ times and lived in around 8-10 states. So it’s not for people who aren’t willing to take risks, move a lot, and be comfortable without job security knowing that at the end of projects they’ll likely be laid off.

I started in the industry about 10 years ago. After I left my first job 8 years ago, I have never worked at a project without per diem. My per diem for the last 8 years has ranged from $560/wk to $1100/wk, always tax free. Currently, I’m also given a tax free $500/mo trip home allowance.

On another good note, I was told today that I will also get paid holidays.

On an even better note, our project director (who manages all our project managers) reached out to two of my project managers this morning and out of nowhere, told them that he thought it was time they needed to increase my compensation. He is typically notorious for thinking that contractors get paid too much, and to lay them off as soon as the projects slow down. For him to reach out to my PM’s and request that, could not be a bigger compliment on top of everything else.

lcmac32

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 07:55:55 PM »
So what was the position?