Author Topic: Asbestos disposal - it's done!  (Read 3332 times)

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
Asbestos disposal - it's done!
« on: October 24, 2017, 12:50:05 AM »
We're renovating a house, and for some reason the previous owners decided covering the timber verandah with asbestos sheeting would be a good idea.

We got quotes. It was going to cost us somewhere between $6k and $9k to pay someone to remove and dispose of it for us.

So I did some research. And discovered that legally, in my state, I'm allowed to remove up to 20 sq/m of asbestos sheeting without any certification, or for $125 I could get a certificate that allowed me to remove an unlimited amount of asbestos sheeting from my own home.

So that's what I did. $125 for the cert, about $300 for the protective garb and plastic and $530 for the proper plastic lined skip bin to get rid of it.

We currently have a shower cubicle that's lined in plastic sheeting stapled to the walls (I wasn't going to pay a 2nd $530 for a skip bin later!) and every muscle in my body aches - that shit is heavy - but I saved us $5,000. That's about a month's salary for me, and it really only took me about 30-40 hours of work (puling up the nail AND glued down sheeting, double wrapping everything in manageable bundles and carrying it to the bin. Through the house and down the back steps because Husband in his excitement decided to take a sledgehammer to the front steps before I'd finished the job...).

Anyway, it's done, and I'm actually pretty proud of my achievement!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
Re: Asbestos disposal - it's done!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 03:28:25 AM »
Oh wow, that's huge! Well done! Massive savings.

We paid to have our (probably) asbestos eaves removed professionally but given about half of it was nearly 2 storeys high (and one piece held in place with a piece of gaffer tape :/) we were happy to pay for it.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 04:17:51 AM »
That's badass.

I'm scared of asbestos. I think I'd call in the professionals.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 05:08:12 AM »
Nicely done Primm, very badass (and good to see you took all the proper precautions!)

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 10:44:50 AM »
Well done you for not being intimidated!

I removed some asbestos tile from our basement floors (less than 125 m2).  It *is* heavy!

Leisured

• Pencil Stache
  • Retired, and loving it.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 09:42:46 PM »
In Australia it is permissible to leave asbestos sheeting in place, so long as it is painted, and nobody drills holes in it, such as for a power point. Painted asbestos suppresses small fibers drifting off into the surrounding air. My siblings collectively owns a beach house which as some asbestos wall covering, built just before asbestos was outlawed.

The asbestos facing into the wall cavity is unpainted, as would be the inner faces of the eaves of the poster who removed his asbestos eaves.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 01:35:33 AM »
The asbestos facing into the wall cavity is unpainted, as would be the inner faces of the eaves of the poster who removed his her asbestos eaves.

FYP

Just to be clear, we only removed the (probably) asbestos sheeting in the eaves because the wooden fascia was rotting and everything was starting to fall apart (which is why some of the sheeting was being held up with gaffer tape so it wouldn't crash down on the concrete path below. So we paid to have it all replaced, including new modern gutters which can cope better with big downpours and colour bond steel fascias that don't need painting.

If the eaves, fascia and guttering had been in good condition we would have been happy to leave it in place indefinitely.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 04:56:14 AM »
Last year I was talking to a roofer about removing some asbestos: he had all the relevant qualifications to deal with it.  He said that the people for whom asbestos is a big problem tended to have been working in commercial buildings, because the really dangerous stuff was used for lagging pipes etc., drilling through it indoors is a big risk and many workers were contaminated before the risks were known and taken seriously.  Roofers dealing with asbestos sheeting were at very little risk because the type of asbestos used was less dangerous, they were outside in the open air rather than a confined atmosphere, the roofers tended to be above the sheeting and any loose fibres rather than working on material above their heads, and they knew the risks and took appropriate precautions.

It sounds to me as though Primm had the proper training and equipment and did everything by the book when working on one of the less dangerous, outdoor situations with sheeting rather than lagging.  All props to her.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 11:06:30 AM »
BADASS!!!☆☆☆☆☆

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 05:07:53 PM »
Well done! You've inspired me to look into whether I can remove some vermiculite insulation which may contain asbestos from my attic myself. Left alone it's not a hazard, but it will deter buyers when I eventually come to sell my house. I don't particularly want to pay the $10K to have it removed by pros, but if I can do it myself with a bit of training and a fancy protective suit, that's another story!

First step, which I omitted because I was 99.9% sure, is to get it tested. About $200 for an accredited lab report (not the cheapest, but potentially a massive money saver). If it doesn't contain asbestos you're gold.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 09:03:40 AM »
Well done! You've inspired me to look into whether I can remove some vermiculite insulation which may contain asbestos from my attic myself. Left alone it's not a hazard, but it will deter buyers when I eventually come to sell my house. I don't particularly want to pay the $10K to have it removed by pros, but if I can do it myself with a bit of training and a fancy protective suit, that's another story!

First step, which I omitted because I was 99.9% sure, is to get it tested. About $200 for an accredited lab report (not the cheapest, but potentially a massive money saver). If it doesn't contain asbestos you're gold.

If the basic PLM method (EPA 600/R-93/116) shows a low level of asbestos (say, between 1 and 5 %) it is almost certainly worthwhile to pay for the more expensive "point count" method, which is far more accurate.

(not an endorsement of the below lab, but they have an informative site)

http://www.seattleasbestostest.com/seattle-asbestos-lab5.html
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 09:05:36 AM by TomTX »

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 09:04:36 AM »
That's badass.

I'm scared of asbestos. I think I'd call in the professionals.

I've seen what certified professionals will do to try and cut corners even when they know you are inspecting their work. I'd be more comfortable doing it myself if I had the proper training.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 05:04:23 PM »
I too removed asbestos siding. There wasn't even any real dust to the process. Pry the slate off with flatbar. Place in cardboard box.Repeat.

The danger with asbestos is working with it constantly, such as in mines, construction, manufacturing, and similar jobs. The exposure an individual receives from popping off outdoor shingles is negligible compared to what workers in those industries endured. It's similar to the difference between getting an x-ray and working with nuclear waste 40 hours a week for 20 years. Yes, getting one x-ray could cause the cancer that kills you, but we take our chances in exchange for the benefits.

That said, I would not sand, drill, or saw asbestos - not even once.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 09:45:00 AM »
Way to go!

I too have a project next year- will get some siding tested soon (but pretty sure it's asbestos)

I've read up on the removal and disposal, only have to figure out how much it will cost to dispose of as there are only a few places that accept it.

Enigma

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 12:12:15 AM »
Luckily my small county allowed disposal of asbestos siding in a special dump container.  They didn't charge anything either.  Probably considered a county issue they are trying to fix.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 04:41:57 AM »
Cool!

Doing it yourself and being certified. Well done.

headwinds

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 08:10:52 PM »
Strong work. You must be courageous, motivated, and resourceful to have pulled this off.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2017, 08:50:59 AM »
Awesome! Hope your husband is dispensing backrubs on demand for making the job harder by taking out the stairs.