Author Topic: Approaching Zero Waste  (Read 21986 times)

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
Re: Approaching Zero Waste
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2016, 02:48:24 AM »
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/recycling-debate/msg1232912/#msg1232912

Recycling debate thread. Good read.

Love all the ideas to reduce here though. So many good suggestions and motivating stories.

dorothyc

• Stubble
Re: Approaching Zero Waste
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2016, 11:06:24 AM »
Allsummerlong
Do you have a store with a peanut butter grinder? Our closest Whole Foods has one. I used it for the first time yesterday. I chickened out of trying to get the washed out jar I took with me tare weighted, as there was no one on customer service at the time, but I'll wash out the PET container I used and refill it next time. I already decanted the peanut butter into my glass jar at home as I am trying not to store wet or oily foods in plastic. I have a ways to go phasing out all my plastic storage containers. Replacing them as funds permit but I'll need some huge ones for flours.

Diniecita

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Zero Waste?
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2016, 10:30:51 PM »
I am part of a ZW Facebook group that is really helpful: https://www.facebook.com/groups/journeytozerowaste/

I'm a part of this group too. I like it for the most part. I get a bit annoyed at the vegan vs. meat eaters arguments though.
We are 2 people, and a mini farm of animals We make 1 bag of trash every couple of weeks and if it wasn't for my nosey dog I would probably use a smaller trash can. We have recycling pick up every 2 weeks and we usually put out one bag and an empty box.
I've been working on a lot of things for zero waste. I love our local cooperative. I'm also almost done with some things in the bathroom. I'm so close to being completely zero waste there. The kitchen is a bit harder. I understand the plight with the cheese. I'm looking for a local raw milk provider, but it's illegal to sell it here. Hoping I can barter for it soon.
Composting is so easy and keeps the trash from smelling so I can wait until the bag is actually full before it has to go out.

Keep up the good work guys.