Author Topic: Another vehicle win!  (Read 2309 times)

trammatic

• Stubble
Another vehicle win!
« on: November 13, 2012, 06:32:17 AM »
So the ABS sensor on my wife's Toyota went bad.  I poked around online and found that it is sold as one unit with the rear wheel hub.  I looked more closely at the sensor in question and noticed that it had just fallen out.  Before dropping $150 on a new hub to install, I used some J&B Weld to stick the sensor back in, and it's been working fine since...no light, and I slammed the brakes from about 30 MPH in an empty parking lot (thanks to Sandy) and everything buzzed and anti-locked perfectly.

Yay for a $1 (5 minute) fix, instead of a $150 (2 hour) DIY bill, or a $750 (half-day) shop bill.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Another vehicle win!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 06:49:31 AM »
Yay for that!

My Dad is a mechanic, and he's always trying to avoid having to buy new parts, by gluing or siliconing something in my truck.

HumanAfterAll

• Stubble
  • Targeting 2021
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 08:33:23 AM »
Awesome!

So much for the myth that modern cars are impossible to fix at home :)

Flynlow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 02:12:35 PM »
Well done!  The very definition of shade-tree mechanic! :)

It always pays to look at what you're replacing before you buy the replacement parts...what can you damage?  It's already broken! :)  Similar story: the dome light in my car wasn't working, bulb looked OK, so I pulled the light housing down, and sure enough the connection from the bulb to the car's harness had broken.  A 5 min soldering job and it was good as new.