Author Topic: Almost Fuck you money is empowering, yet frightening  (Read 5759 times)

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
Almost Fuck you money is empowering, yet frightening
« on: August 23, 2017, 12:50:10 PM »
Careful what you ask for - the power of being mortgage free and saving 45% of income can make you tell your boss I'm requesting a six week Leave of Absence and I'm not coming to work.  Some bosses might ask you to not bother coming back, no matter how much unpaid overtime and weekends you've put in.

Well, now my SO is coming to Italy with me on a work/vacation trip, then looking for a new job.  Im down to putting away 15% to retirement accounts and paying car insurance monthly instead of annually now till that three letter bad word gets resolved.

I'm proud of her for standing up to the man! 

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
Re: Almost Fuck you money is empowering, yet frightening
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 01:47:58 PM »
Sounds like you're not worried about her finding a job, and she was happy enough to leave her current one. FU money for the win. It's only frightening if you make claims you can't stand behind. Doesn't seem to be the case for you this time.

Keep up the good work!

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 02:31:45 PM »
funny thing about the beginnings of FU money is when you use it you may end up making a lot more money.

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 02:40:35 PM »
funny thing about the beginnings of FU money is when you use it you may end up making a lot more money.

Thats the biggest reason we are OK with quitting an underpaid under appreciated job.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 02:59:12 PM »
Ha! I hope it all works out well for you both :-)

But yes, before getting carried away with the force of almost FU money it's important to have thought out what you'll do if The Man calls your bluff and says, "OK, off you go, I don't need you anyway."

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 03:06:07 PM »
Oh, she wasn't bluffing.  Flights were booked and paid for. 

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 03:18:41 PM »
Ha! I hope it all works out well for you both :-)

But yes, before getting carried away with the force of almost FU money it's important to have thought out what you'll do if The Man calls your bluff and says, "OK, off you go, I don't need you anyway."

Meh, just be polite and don't actually say Fuck You when you FU bounce. Just say its not working you are pursuing other opportunities blah blah.  They don't know what to do if they don't own you like they do the other sheep.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 01:28:12 AM »
Careful what you ask for - the power of being mortgage free and saving 45% of income can make you tell your boss I'm requesting a six week Leave of Absence and I'm not coming to work.  Some bosses might ask you to not bother coming back, no matter how much unpaid overtime and weekends you've put in.

Well, now my SO is coming to Italy with me on a work/vacation trip, then looking for a new job.  Im down to putting away 15% to retirement accounts and paying car insurance monthly instead of annually now till that three letter bad word gets resolved.

I'm proud of her for standing up to the man!

We're not mortgage free, but the $1800 profit on two rentals covers our housing expense of $1500/month rent. However, it's enough of a cushion to not be afraid at work.

I asked for 12 weeks of family leave this year due to a new born baby. I'm actually entitled to 4 months/year for qualifying events, such as a baby. My co-workers advised me not to do this because it would make things more difficult for my superiors and I would be risking my job. I replied, "well, I just have to get a better job, then" That pissed a few people off, but I don't really care.

Dexterous

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 08:13:09 PM »

Good timing, the weather is becoming nice and tourists are leaving.  :)  Let us know if you need any advice regarding Italy... we've lived here twice.

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 06:36:38 AM »
One of my coworkers just did something very similar. He had booked a long cruise with family, and the boss decided he couldn't go, and would be terminated if he didn't show up to work. Coworker went cruising anyway; I haven't seen him since. Sometimes you have to stand up to folks.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 12:31:24 PM »
With great power comes great responsibility..:)

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 02:33:39 PM »

Good timing, the weather is becoming nice and tourists are leaving.  :)  Let us know if you need any advice regarding Italy... we've lived here twice.

We are now both in an airbnb in Brescia, paid by my company for the next six weeks.

I saved the company many Euros by bringing two bikes instead of renting a car to drive 3 km to work.  Tomorrow we ride to Sirmione on Garda!

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 02:38:29 PM »
And she did get two job offers in her last day of work.  Literally - "call me when you get back!"