Author Topic: Airport to town -- a transit/walking wiki (sorta)  (Read 10002 times)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
Airport to town -- a transit/walking wiki (sorta)
« on: November 24, 2013, 04:41:03 PM »
As I travel more for business and fun, I'm slowly realizing which airports have good access to town, either on foot or by transit. I thought it would be nice for us to build up a list of airport-transit hacks for each city we know... the money you save on a taxi or shuttle can pay for an extra hostel night or a meal!
I'll start...

Toronto (terminal 1): all the way downstairs and to the far right, then out the doors for the TTC's #900 express bus (the "Rocket") to the Kipling subway station. $3.25, no transfer needed unless you want to take another bus at the far end of your subway trip. Late at night, take the #300 night bus instead (it runs all the way east across the city). Walking's not on... the access roads have no sidewalks.

San Diego: This one rocks! The 992 bus takes you downtown in about 10 minutes. If you're heading in the other direction (toward Point Loma or Ocean Beach), walk out to Harbor Dr. and take the #923. You can also take the free parking lot shuttle that lets you off at the Middletown tram station, which is better if you want to buy a transit pass. Walking is easy from this airport -- downtown along Harbor Dr. (mostly along waterfront paths) takes half an hour to an hour, depending on where you're going. In the other direction, it's about an hour to Point Loma.

Montreal: Take the "747" express bus to the Lionel-Groulx subway station (25-30 minutes). $10 includes a 24-hour transit pass. You could also walk to the Dorval city bus terminus (about half an hour) and take a slower city bus for about three bucks. Walking elsewhere, unless you actually want to be in Dorval, is not really an option.

St. John's (NL): Mon-Sat between about 8 am and 11 pm, the #14  city bus ($2.25) stops at the airport (out the door, turn right and follow the sidewalk). It's about a half hour meander to the university, where you can transfer. Or, you can walk into town along Portugal Cove Road (turn left out the door, follow the sidewalk to a gap in the fence to Airport Rd.).

Vancouver: Skytrain! Fare depends on distance travelled, and the ticket vending machines at the airport add a $5 airport surcharge. You can apparently avoid the surcharge by buying a day pass ($9.75) from the 7-11 or Pharmasave on the arrivals level. Walking: I know I've walked in the past, to a bus stop, and it looks like you still can, along Sea Island Way, but I don't see the bus stop. I guess you could walk to the Richmond Night Market, Fri-Sun in summer.

Los Angeles (LAX): take the G shuttle (stops in front of each terminal) to the Aviation/LAX stop on the Metro green line; from there, the green and blue line (or harbor fwy express bus) will take you downtown (note that you're expected to pay a fare for each separate vehicle you ride, so a day pass is a good idea). If you're going to Venice or Santa Monica, take the C shuttle to the LAX bus transit centre (ask the driver) and catch the #3 or #R3 Big Blue Bus. To Manhattan Beach, the #232 from the same transit centre.
Walking? I don't know if you can, or where you would go. If you do want to walk, I would take the C or G shuttle anyway, and walk from there.

London Heathrow: From terminals 1, 2, and 3, you walk through a surprisingly long tunnel to the Tube station (terminals 4 and 5 apparently have their own stations). Fare into town is 5 pound 50. If you're going to be there long or often, buy an Oyster Card, which will give you much cheaper rides for the rest of your trip (and magically convert itself into a day pass if it's to your advantage). I've never walked anywhere from Heathrow.

Baltimore: Another excellent transit connection. Go to the far right hand end of the terminal, out the door, and you're almost on the platform for the Light Rail. Super cheap: $1.60 for a one-way, $3.50 for a day pass good on the bus and metro, too. You can also take transit into DC from here, but it's more of a MacGyver: M-F you can take a free shuttle to the MARC train, on the weekend you take the B30 (scenic!) to the Greenbelt metro station and thus into town.

I know a few more, but I should stop now, especially as some of you probably know them better than I do.

(edited June 10, 2019, to reflect changes in San Diego, Toronto, and St. John's)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 10:42:34 AM by Gerard »

stripey

• Pencil Stache
Re: Airport to town -- a transit/walking wiki (sorta)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 10:10:47 PM »
This is cool! Can't talk about US ones much though (have only been to the US once).

Heathrow Tube from terminals 4 and 5 is dead easy. Don't be tempted to take the Heathrow Express as although it is quicker it is much more expensive.

Moscow (Domodedovo) Take the Aeroport Express which costs about $25-30 USD per trip. Has instructions and announcements in Russian and English. Goes direct from airport to a station called Pavaletskaya, from there buy a Metro ticket 50RUB, approx $1 USD, and you can go anywhere on the underground metro, which services everywhere in central Moscow very well (and is a tourist attraction in it's own right).
Don't be tempted to take a taxi. From what my friends have said it is slower and more expensive.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 05:17:15 AM »
RDU: if not in a hurry (and being in a hurry is un-Mustachian anyway), there are 2 dollar buses to any of the big 3 Triangle towns. Sadly no service on Sundays and possibly a bunch of special holidays too.

Gatwick/Stansted: Skip the train, use easybus.co.uk or National Expresses coaches or any of the other coach services from various central London locations. Prices anywhere from £3-10 depending on booking time. Don't even think of transferring between any of the London airports unless you know what you're doing and have plenty of time on your hands.

MilwaukeeStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 08:52:02 AM »
Chicago Midway (MDW) Orange line (L train) to downtown runs 5:00 AM - 1:00 AM.  Follow the signs for CTA bus and train, the walkway is enclosed but it involves some weaving through parking garages. $3 each way

Chicago O'Hare (ORD) Blue Line (L train) to downtown runs 24/7.  Maybe a 40 minute trip.  I believe it leaves from Terminal 1 (It's been years since I flew O'Hare) There's a people mover to get between terminals and again look for signs saying CTA.  There's also a Metra (Commuter Train) from here but it's not useful enough to really matter. $5 to Downtown, $3 to O'Hare

Milwaukee Mitchel (MKE) Green Line (bus) Runs 4 AM to 3 AM.  30 Minute trip to downtown.  Outside baggage claim 1. $2.25 cash each way

All of these run often enough that you can just go the the stop and wait.

etselec

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 09:21:39 AM »
Boston Logan (BOS) The Silver line bus runs directly to South Station (connections to the Red line T and South Station commuter rail lines), and it's FREE from the airport, with a free transfer to the Red line. There is also a free shuttle bus to the Blue line of the T for connections to North Station commuter rail.

Philadelphia International (PHL) There is a Regional Rail train to Center City ($8 one way) that runs every half-hour from 5am - midnight. For the cheap and adventurous, the 108 bus runs from Terminal A to 69th St. Transportation Center, where you can transfer to the subway to Center City - that costs $2.25 cash fare or a token + $1 transfer, and I wouldn't recommend doing it at night, as 69th St. can be a bit dodgy after hours.

Another hidden gem for those flying into Philadelphia is the ZFV "airport", which is actually a flight to Newark plus an Amtrak ticket to 30th St. Station. It's often worth price-comparing that with flying into PHL, since you would need to take a train from PHL to Center City anyways, and the price of the Amtrak ticket is included when you buy your "flight" to ZFV.

ArcticaMT6

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 12:32:58 PM »
Seattle has a light rail that takes you to/from SeaTac to downtown for $2.75 at the most. From there, $2.50 for any bus will get you most places you would want to be.

VB90254

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 03:53:32 PM »
I know a few more, but I should stop now, especially as some of you probably know them better than I do. Anyone from Miami? I used to take the amazing M150 express bus to South Beach, but I hear there's a metro station now. How well does it work? And Newark -- I know you can take a city bus (62, GO28) downtown to the rail station to avoid the airport rail surcharge, but I've never done it.

From my one trip to Miami (South Beach) a couple years ago, I found that a rental car was the way to go there.  With lower rental car taxes, cars were much cheaper there than most other places I've been ($30/day).  There wasn't nearly enough worthwhile public transit, and the cost of taking a cab out and back at night was more than the daily rental car fee.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 05:45:11 PM »
Dane Co. Regional Airport, Madison WI (MSN) The #20 bus goes both east toward East Town Mall (lots of hotels there) and west toward downtown/UW. 30 minutes between runs on weekdays, hourly on weekends.

Empire Business

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 08:39:41 PM »
Seattle has a light rail that takes you to/from SeaTac to downtown for $2.75 at the most. From there, $2.50 for any bus will get you most places you would want to be.

In Spring 2016, the same train will be running to Capitol Hill and the University of Washington as well.  A few years later, points even farther to the north.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 02:03:26 PM »
Thanks, all! I thought of a few more:

Portland, OR (PDX): The MAX (Light rail) red line takes 40 minutes to downtown, costs $2.50. Board at the luggage level of the airport. It's quite pleasant. Looks like it might be walkable if you were going somewhere in the north end (maybe an hour), but not downtown.

Halifax, NS (YHZ): The #320 bus (out the door, off to the far right) runs somewhat infrequently to downtown. Fare's $3.50. It's waaaay too far to walk. Also, some inter-city buses stop at the airport, so you can get from there to (say) Truro without going into town.

New York (LGA): The M60 bus runs through Astoria and Harlem to subway connections at 106th/Broadway (or sooner along 125th). $2.75. Recently, I've preferred the Q70, which runs to 76th/Broadway in Queens, which is a *great* neighbourhood for street food and cheap restaurants, and connects to a couple of subway lines.

Newcastle, UK (NCL): Excellent frequent light rail system ("Metro") covers a large area, including taking you to the seaside. From the airport, 3 pound 20 to most places.

(edited June 10, 2019, for LGA update)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 10:45:44 AM by Gerard »

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 02:39:19 PM »
This is such a great thread!

As I will be flying into San Diego in February, I will definitely be using the info posted above by Gerard.

Thanks!

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 10:13:29 PM »
This is such a great thread!

+1
A very useful thread. Thank you.

amha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 05:25:43 AM »
Geneva, Switzerland (GVA): Uh, not a very Mustachian destination, unless you're a physicist at CERN, in which case you can WALK to downtown from the airport! There is a bike/pedestrian path that goes right up to the terminal. The walk took me about 40 minutes to downtown; I imagine on a bike you could do it in 15.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 06:39:18 AM »
Washington Regan (DCA) -  The best of the Washinton metro area airports, because the Yellow AND Blue lines have a stop right at the airport.  Fares vary based on location travelled, but it will generally run you $2-$6 depending on where you are going the the time of day.  You can easily get to downtown DC and various locations in Maryland and Virginia.  You can also get to Union Station for easy connections to Amtrak and local rail options.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 11:08:56 AM »
Washington Regan (DCA) -  The best of the Washinton metro area airports, because the Yellow AND Blue lines have a stop right at the airport.  Fares vary based on location travelled, but it will generally run you $2-$6 depending on where you are going the the time of day.  You can easily get to downtown DC and various locations in Maryland and Virginia.  You can also get to Union Station for easy connections to Amtrak and local rail options.

IAD has a pretty cheap bus that'll take you to the metro also.  It just takes forever.
SFO you can take bart
OAK you can take a bus to bart or possibly your destination

All of the above under $10.  But most of this info is available on each airport's website.

fragglebock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 11:44:01 AM »

Baltimore: Another excellent transit connection. Go to the far right hand end of the terminal, out the door, and you're almost on the platform for the Light Rail. Super cheap: $1.60 for a one-way, $3.50 for a day pass good on the bus and metro, too. You can also take transit into DC from here, but it's more of a MacGyver: M-F you can take a free shuttle to the MARC train, on the weekend you take the B30 (scenic!) to the Greenbelt metro station and thus into town.

The MARC train is now running from Baltimore to DC on weekends as well.

http://mta.maryland.gov/marc-begins-weekend-service-december-2013

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 12:29:32 PM »
Beijing The airport express subway line takes you to two centrally located subway stops in town where you can transfer to other lines that will take you close to most major hotels.  25 RMB for the airport express line, plus 2 RMB for the regular subway fare (roughly US$4.50 at current exchange rates)

There are also several dedicated express bus lines that go to most parts of the city.  18 RMB standard fare (roughly US$3)

Or, if you are feeling REALLY adventurous, you can take the local buses.  Standard long-distance fare is 2RMB, but only 0.8 RMB if you buy a local transit card. 

Walking?  Wouldn't recommend it.  Distance is about 20km from airport to downtown, and you're risking your life to walk on those roads, especially if you aren't used to how Chinese drivers drive.

Hong Kong  Can't remember the details, but Hong Kong's subway is AWESOME and connects directly to the airport.  Good express bus system, too, if where you are going is not near a subway station (unlikely in HK)

Tokyo  Another marvelous city for subway travel.  Subway system connects directly to the airport and will take you most places you need to go for a very reasonable price.  Good express bus connections, too. 

Seoul  As long as you arrive during reasonable hours, the subway and express bus systems to Seoul Incheon are great.  Good thing, because the airport is a ridiculous 70-80 km outside of the city -- won't be walking that unless you are on a trekking vacation!  Unfortunately during a recent trip we arrived at 1am and had no choice but to take a taxi to get to our hotel in Gangnam, to the tune of around US$80.  Express bus fare for the three of us would have been about $40 (15 each for me and DS, 10 for DD).  Subway connects and would have been cheaper than the bus, but would require multiple transfers.

In Hong Kong, the cheapest way to the city is via public bus, and it is easy to get to and from the airport from practically anywhere in this huge city. I usually stay in Kowloon and take bus A21, and get off on Nathan Rd. The kiosk to buy your ticket is at the ground level, outside the airport terminal, and is easy to find by following the To City sign. I can find my way much quicker in HK (and most Asian cities) even if I don't speak a word of the local languages, than in most major North American or European cities. The airport express bus is a little more expensive at about $HK100, while the bus takes you quickly to many places in Kowloon and Hong Kong Island for under $HK40. Depending on where you need to go, you can chose from 12 different buses. Check the website for accurate information at http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/transport/to-from-airport/bus_from_hkia.html

Calgary: the cheapest way is to jump on city transit bus 300 for Rapid, limited-stop service to downtown via centre street.
Operates every 30 minutes between 5:00 a.m. and midnight, seven days a week. You pay with either a ‘Calgary Transit Boarding Pass’ (available for $8.50 at the Mac’s stores in the airport terminal) or if you have a monthly pass it is free. You can also take a regular city bus (#100 to McKnight, then LRT) for $3 but it will take you much longer. More info at http://www.calgarytransit.com/html/airport_service.html

There is also a $15 shuttle (ticket counter at the arrivals level) that takes you to most downtown hotels quickly. For your return, you must book in advance and the pick-up locations are the major hotels. Info here http://www.airportshuttlecalgary.ca/

I was a flight attendant for five years so I also can give you information on a number of obscure places you don't really want to visit, but if you must go, PM in private :)

electriceagle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 10:14:33 AM »
San Francisco Badass Version:

Samtrans Busses 292/397 go between SFO and downtown SF, with a couple of stops in between. I believe that the trip from the airport is $2 while the trip to SFO us $4. Much cheaper than the $8 or so charged.for BART.

Super badass version:

If you live close enough and are traveling light, SFO has bike racks. The airport is near the Bay Trail which goes between SF and the south bay. I havent used the bike racks but Ive heard that they are supervised so that you dont have to worry about parts of your bike going missing.

Empire Business

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 09:31:01 PM »
I just came to Washington DC for the first time and managed to purchase a SmarTrip card and take the Metro from the airport to my hotel flawlessly.  Okay, it took me a few seconds to figure out which machine dispensed SmarTrip cards, and another few seconds to figure out that it has RFID but no magnetic strip and therefore I must tap it on the tap thing rather than insert it in the reader, but after that it was CAKE.  The train is fast.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 09:35:29 PM »
Speaking of "wikis" how could we forget this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Wiki_Shuttle

gazzamatic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 09:44:22 AM »

San Antonio (SAT): City bus route #5 goes from the airport to downtown (about a block to most riverwalk hotels) in about 45 minutes.  The cost is $1.20, 15c more if you need to transfer onto another bus.  Google maps will be your friend with schedules etc.  Taking a taxi saves you 15-20 minutes, but costs about $25-30.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 08:04:03 AM »
I just used the 992 bus last night to get into downtown San Diego from the airport--it cost me $3.  Would have been $2.50 but I forgot to get change somewhere ahead of time.  Still way cheaper than a cab would have been, I'm sure.  And the bus driver was very helpful.

Thanks for this thread!!

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2019, 11:06:18 AM »
Got new ones!

Brownsville / South Padre Island, TX: This one has a free shuttle, both into downtown Brownsville and out to Port Isabel, where you connect to another free shuttle to South Padre Island. Schedules vary, so google "Valley Metro Brownsville blue line" when you need it. Brownsville city buses cost $1.

McAllen, TX: #4 bus ($1) stops right at the airport and will take you into town. You can also easily walk from the airport to the nearby cheap hotels, or to the Quinta Mazatlan nature/history site. Bus map at https://www.mcallen.net/metro/riding/maps.aspx

Note that neither of these cities have their bus systems plugged into Google Maps (as I write this), so you need to go to their sites to plan your trips.

While on the topic, I'd like to put in a plug for south Texas as a frugal vacation (and maybe retirement?) destination -- flat for cycling, low accommodation costs, great food, lots of birds, free bus to the beach (see above), and a more liberal accommodating attitude than my Canadian stereotypes of Texas led me to expect. Downside: unexciting restaurant scene, hot humid summers.

and Victoria, BC: the #88 bus will pick you up right in front of the terminal and take you to the #70 or #72 express buses to downtown. But I prefer walking south, through a beautiful forest across from the airport, then along Dickson and E Saanich to the #72 stop. Note that Victoria charges you $2.50 per bus, so you should probably buy a $5 day pass when you board the bus.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 06:58:34 AM by Gerard »

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2019, 12:06:16 PM »
Toronto City Airport

Exit plane & security. Follow tunnel under lake. Come out in the middle of downtown. Seriously the most delightful travel experience I've ever had to walk off the plane and into my hotel room 20 minutes later. Makes it a perfect weekend escape from Chicago!

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2019, 07:52:24 AM »
mlipps, Toronto City (Billy Bishop) is great! Luckily I can walk there from the apartment I'm retiring to.

More:

New Orleans: a bit of an odd one. You want the Jefferson County E2 bus ($2), which goes downtown M-F daytime. Evenings and weekends, it only goes as far as Carrollton & Tulane in mid-town... from there, you can transfer to a city bus or walk down Carrollton and catch the Canal St. trolley. There seems to be a (new?) RTA express bus too, designed for airport workers, but it's infrequent and I'm not sure all buses go to the passenger part of the airport.

Ottawa: out the door, to the right, city express bus #97 rides the transitway (bus-only corridor) into town, half an hour or so, $3.50. If you're coming from Toronto, your Presto card will work here!

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2019, 11:32:34 AM »
does anybody have a handle on Hamilton international airport, in Ontario,
I tried it from Toronto to Hamilton, took 3 hours and changing TTC, GO bus, Hamilton bus

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2019, 05:51:15 PM »
San Jose, CA (SJC): Airport bus route 10 takes you either to the light rail (Downtown San Jose access) or to the Santa Clara Transit Center (Caltrain access)

Phoenix, AZ (PHX): Has a Sky Train to the Phx light rail line (downtown access)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2019, 09:14:21 PM »
I tried it from Toronto to Hamilton, took 3 hours and changing TTC, GO bus, Hamilton bus

That doesn't seem too unreasonable, though... it's in a different city and 80 km away.

Arian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2019, 09:22:07 AM »
Nice, France - Walk from the airport to the Promenade des Anglais and catch a local bus into the city. The ticket will cost you 1.50 Euros and can be used on all buses and trams for 1 hour and 15 minutes. There are also dedicated 'Airport' buses that are slightly more expensive. The public transport system in the area is very good value and efficient.

Arian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2019, 09:39:02 AM »
Malta - The bus service on the island is good value. The bus stop is just outside the Departures hall of the Airport. 

Last time I went to Malta I used a prepaid transfer service, but I was so impressed with the public transport that I would just use that next time. See the link for details on the public transport.

https://www.publictransport.com.mt/en/bus-card-and-ticketing

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2019, 09:41:07 AM »
This makes me realize I fly too damn much.

Amsterdam: Take the train to the city, last time it was €2.10, probably around €2.50 now. From both the airport station and the central station in Amsterdam you can also get everywhere in the country. One-way discounted tickets (via Actievandedag.nl - a Groupon-like website) are usually €10-12

Eindhoven: Take bus 400 or 401 into the city. With a public transport card it's around €2.50, a single ticket is more expensive but I'm not sure how much.

Hanoi, Vietnam: Take bus 17 for a whopping 5000 VND ($0.22) for a long ride to the Old Quarter. If you want to take the faster tourist bus 86 you'll pay 35000 (around $1.50). The tourist bus doesn't go before 6 AM though. There's also a shuttle between the domestic and international terminal, but it's walkable too.

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam: Take bus 152 (5k VND) for the long ride to Ben Thanh market or bus 109 (20k VND) for a faster ride that takes you even closer to the tourist/backpacker area on Pham Ngu Lao.

Bangkok: The city center isn't the area where most tourists stay for this city. I haven't taken transport into the city center properly, but you can take a 150 baht ($5ish) to the Khao San Road area, which is where most tourists stay.

Denpasar, Bali: No public transport, but you can walk to Kuta in 30-60 min depending on where your hotel is. Quite a nice walk over the beach. If you have too much luggage or stay further out, don't get into one of the airport taxis but walk out a bit for a couple 100 meters and order a Grab/Uber/GoJek for a fraction of the price of a taxi.

Pisa, Italy: Just walk out of the airport and tadaaa, you're in the city center.

Innsbruck, Austria: Also has an easy public transport option names 'bus F'. Price is €2.50 or so and you're in the city center in 20-30 min depending on your stop.

I may add some more later. Have been to plenty of other European and Asian airports and they're fairly underrepresented here :)

Catica

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2019, 04:05:22 AM »
Does anyone know the best way to get to the city from GRU airport in Sao Paulo?

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2019, 07:32:19 AM »
Thanks to everyone for input!

Winnipeg (YWG): Super easy, just a frequent-ish regular city bus (the 15 east to downtown, or the 20 south/southeast). $2.95. Out the door to the right. Attractive wooden bench to sit on while you wait.

Thunder Bay (YQT): Out the door to the left. The #14 takes you into the nearest half of T-Bay (Fort William?), where many transfers are possible. $2.75.

Istanbul (IST) airport has just moved waaaaay out of town, and the proposed metro line won't be running for at least nine years (!). For now, it looks like highway buses (H-1, H-5) to the metro are your best bet. Buy an Istanbulkart! About 6 TL (cheap).

These systems are in Google Maps and thus pretty easy to use.

Laura Ingalls

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2019, 07:20:36 AM »
Des Moines (DMS)
I just checked the bus route does not go to the airport.  Sounds like a conspiracy

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2019, 01:21:45 PM »
Paris (CDG) & (ORY) Charles de Gaulle/Roissy and Orly

There are regular buses (RoissyBus, OrlyBus) to the center of Paris (Opera, Denfert-Rochereau) or you can take the RER-B.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 01:31:11 PM by nouveauRiche »

Tracyl-5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2019, 03:08:50 PM »
This is a great thread, thanks!  Glad to see it resurrected after a 5 year hiatus!

Honolulu (HNL)  From the upstairs, departures level, take The Bus, routes 19 or 20 to Waikiki.  Available from 4:45am to 11:45pm, takes 45-60 mintues.  Costs $2.75. 

http://www.thebus.org/Route/Routes.asp

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2019, 08:15:59 AM »
Des Moines (DMS)
I just checked the bus route does not go to the airport.  Sounds like a conspiracy

You kid, but until recently our local airport bus only went sorta-kinda near the airport, to avoid cutting into taxi profits!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2019, 08:54:17 AM »
Denver (DEN) USA Follow the signs out of the airport to take the escalators down below the Westin, pay $10.50 at the kiosk for a transit day pass. Electric train departs every 15 minutes for Union Station, which is the city transit hub with lots of connecting rail lines. Note there are two FREE parallel bus lines running from Union Station(ish) to the far end of downtown. I used the 16th street mall line of free electric buses. Just stand on the corner south of Union Station, they come every couple of minutes, stopping every block. The other line is north of Union Station.

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2019, 05:16:23 AM »

That doesn't seem too unreasonable, though... it's in a different city and 80 km away.
Yes you are right, there is a better option though if you take the Megabus Toronto-Hamilton airport.  One ride 1.5 hour. Only there is only one bus a day !  $21 +Tax, one way.

HenryDavid

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2019, 12:57:01 AM »
Hamilton airport in Canada: few good options here! Call a friend, or assemble your bike and ride. The rural roads are not too bad. Have a flashing light. Plan a route in advance.

Calgary: there’s a bike assembly station outside, and a path downtown. Get the bike path map online. Also a city bus.

Toulouse, France: a streetcar goes downtown from the front exit, takes 30 minutes maybe.

Venice: walk out front and get the boat! (Vaporetto.) The best way. Or fly to Trentino and ride the bus for an hour, no problems.

FrugalFan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2021, 06:47:34 AM »
Posting to follow!

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2021, 12:14:52 PM »
Looks like Hamilton, Ontario airport now has a bus! The #20 A-line, although it runs only weekdays, and stops early in the evening. https://www.hamilton.ca/hsr-bus-schedules-fares/schedule-routes-maps/pdf-bus-schedules

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2021, 01:05:20 AM »
Atlanta is another airport with a light rail stop in the airport. It takes about 40 minutes to get downtown. After living in Atlanta I’m really disappointed by cities that don’t have a rail or direct bus connection from their airport to downtown. I used to live a 15 minute walk from a MARTA station and it made catching a flight so easy.

Burbank airport has a metro link station right outside, but the trains only run a few times per day, so unless your flight times happen to work out you’ll be stuck waiting at the airport for hours.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2021, 04:26:31 PM »
Nice, France - Walk from the airport to the Promenade des Anglais and catch a local bus into the city. The ticket will cost you 1.50 Euros and can be used on all buses and trams for 1 hour and 15 minutes. There are also dedicated 'Airport' buses that are slightly more expensive. The public transport system in the area is very good value and efficient.

Last year, or maybe it was late in 2019, the new airport tram went into service.  It stops outside both terminals and ends up at the Port, with stops along the way.  It is AWESOME and costs the same as the bus:  you can get a "multi" bus pass, 10 trips, for 10 Euros.  The last time we used the tram was when we had to flee last March when COVID took hold and borders were starting to close.  Can't wait until we get to use it again.

norajean

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2021, 10:45:29 PM »
Nearly every airport in the world is staffed by people who use public transportation so they all have some form of it available.  You can usually Google up each one. Some are designed with travelers in mind and some are not. All are cheap and run all hours.

Lordy

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2021, 07:20:33 AM »
Frankfurt (FRA): Express trains S8 and S9 take you directly to both Central Station and City Center (Stations Hauptwache and Konstablerwache). One-way ticket is 5€ for adults, a little under 3€ for children. Trains run every 15 Minutes, travel time is between 15-25 minutes, depending on how far into the city you go.

Munich (MUC): Express trains S1 and S8 take you to Central Station. As the Airport is far outside the city, travel time is 45 minutes and cost is around 12€ per adult. Do not take a Taxi, they cost about 5x that.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!