Author Topic: Affirming the Move  (Read 3572 times)

shedinator

• Bristles
Affirming the Move
« on: May 21, 2012, 08:50:51 PM »
So as you can see from my "location," and have read on this site, we're in the process of relocating. Finally found an apt just outside KCMO, and will be mailing the deposit tomorrow morning. If we weren't sure about this move before, we are now. The apt is larger than our current place, and comes with a garage and laundry room (neither of which we currently have). But here's where it gets fun:

When we get our security deposit back from this place, we will be able to use it to pay two months' rent at our new abode, AND have some cash left over.

Now if I can just track down a more fulfilling job... :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Affirming the Move
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 09:36:38 PM »
Congrats!  That's a pretty exciting budget change.

Did you already calculate your new time to FI/RE?  ;)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

shedinator

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »
Congrats!  That's a pretty exciting budget change.

Did you already calculate your new time to FI/RE?  ;)

Not yet. Wife's job won't transfer, and mine has a COL adjustment that we haven't got the final number on. Once she's found another p/t gig and I've got a set pay range, we'll recalculate. Something tells me it'll be sooner :)

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 09:44:51 PM »
Congrats, that's awesome.

We lived in Mission, KS for about three years. Lots of great memories there. We really miss the BBQ.

iamsoners

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 08:25:01 AM »
Welcome to the neighborhood shedinator!  We just moved to KC 6 months ago from the East Coast--mostly to be close to family but also because we couldn't ever imagine surviving on one (or none) incomes out there.  Getting out of the rat race has been great.

We don't have kids but if you do, you'll love this city--so much great free stuff for families to do.

Oh, and I would add, our rent here vs. DC is 35% lower and our place has an additional bedroom and a yard.  Love it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 08:26:41 AM by soners »

Guitarist

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 02:22:30 PM »
Welcome to KC!
I know we talked already but I hope you enjoy the place you found. Living here can be oh so cheap compared to the coasts. KC does have a lot to offer either cheap or free. It's nowhere near what I would call a Mustachian City, but there is worse.