Author Topic: Achievements in plumbing  (Read 3023 times)

Heather in Ottawa

• Stubble
Achievements in plumbing
« on: August 27, 2015, 09:28:32 PM »
Hooked up a tub! This is celebratory since:

1) It's not easy to select the right drain assembly puzzle pieces to line up with two floating points in a three dimensional space (the drain and overflow). Then, glue those pieces in place with almost instant bonding, no misalignment. The penalty for failure is to reach into the awkward hole in the floor and painfully cut out your shame with a saw that has about an inch of clearance. Since this was a necessary step to cut out the old drain, you know exactly how much it would suck. But... Success!

2) On the water supply side of things, husband rocked the soldering job of heating up the old joints to take off the old fitting, and getting the new ones in place. This was his first ever. I'm the plumber in this relationship, but I'm mostly at work while he does this "side hustle" during his vacation.

3) The side hustle benefits us, since he's being paid, and also my sister's family, since they are saving several thousand off what contractors were quoting. They're also getting a chance to be hands-on for some of this reno, and so are picking up useful DIY skills.

4) The family has been able to escape to our parents cottage (which has a shower) and have a vacation, without needing to worry about contractor's hours vs. baby's sleep, or even to be home at all while the work gets done.

5) And speaking of baby, they come home tomorrow for the big reveal... Lots of work yet to go in this reno, but that tub is now ready for two kiddos to have their bath time :D

Anyone else have some plumbing triumphs to share?

Bajadoc

• Stubble
Re: Achievements in plumbing
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 10:08:06 PM »
Nice work! I like plumbing. A few days ago I replaced a bathroom faucet along with the stopper and drain pipe. I seem to regularly snake out clogged sinks and the occasional backed up toilet. Nothing like the feeling one gets after a successful plumbing adventure. I am trying to be the same way with auto maintenance and light repairs. Besides saving money, which is nice, one gains a better understanding how things work. Also, I have a better appreciation for, and care more for things I have fixed.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 09:26:11 AM »
I've always been able to unclog toilets, swap out faucet cartridges, etc., even replaced a balance spool on the tub faucet that was pretty tricky to do.  Last year I replaced my first toilet. I had heard it was pretty easy to do, but always been a little afraid to try it.   Our main upstairs toilet managed to build up so much sediment, calcium deposits, etc. in the air supply that it was not flushing correctly and overflowing, so time for a new toilet. Plus it was an old water hog, and the new one is low-flush, so saves a ton of water.  I now wonder why I was so afraid to do this - it was pretty simple, other than wrestling the old toilet out and to the curb.  I'm a 60-something weakling, so hubby had to help for this. But I did the install totally by myself - proud bows all around! There is at least one more toilet that I will replace next year, and I'll be doing that one myself too!  This house is very un-mustachian, and has 4 bloody toilets!   Next house (if we buy another) will have maximum 2.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 09:00:28 AM »
I would love to be your second pair of hands and help with that, I want to replace my toilet down the road.  Right now it would be a "call a plumber" job, but if I could learn . . . Are you anywhere near Ottawa?  Right now I have gardening muscles, but by spring I will be a 60-something weakling too.

I've always been able to unclog toilets, swap out faucet cartridges, etc., even replaced a balance spool on the tub faucet that was pretty tricky to do.  Last year I replaced my first toilet. I had heard it was pretty easy to do, but always been a little afraid to try it.   Our main upstairs toilet managed to build up so much sediment, calcium deposits, etc. in the air supply that it was not flushing correctly and overflowing, so time for a new toilet. Plus it was an old water hog, and the new one is low-flush, so saves a ton of water.  I now wonder why I was so afraid to do this - it was pretty simple, other than wrestling the old toilet out and to the curb.  I'm a 60-something weakling, so hubby had to help for this. But I did the install totally by myself - proud bows all around! There is at least one more toilet that I will replace next year, and I'll be doing that one myself too!  This house is very un-mustachian, and has 4 bloody toilets!   Next house (if we buy another) will have maximum 2.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 12:55:44 PM »
I would love to be your second pair of hands and help with that, I want to replace my toilet down the road.  Right now it would be a "call a plumber" job, but if I could learn . . . Are you anywhere near Ottawa?  Right now I have gardening muscles, but by spring I will be a 60-something weakling too.

Unfortunately, we live in London, so about a 7 hour drive away.  Otherwise, I would be happy to help.  But really, it is SO easy, as long as the flange, etc. is still intact and usable.  Even if it's all rusted, a good plumbing supply place will be able to sell you a repair kit.  (our local Rona has a fabulous plumbing department - staffed by retired plumbers).  The worst part was probably getting all the water out, and hoisting the damn thing off.  It helps if your toilet is in 2 pieces.  We took it off intact, but next time I will do it one piece at a time.  Same for installing it - if you buy a 2 piece, install the base first, and then add the tank.  Easier on the muscles!   I was worried about getting the wax seal to line up, etc., but again, if you line up the anchor bolts correctly, (and that would be hard to mess up), everything else is exactly where it needs to be.   A friend told me to put the seal on the toilet itself, not the flange, to aid in installation.  Once the base is on the flange, sit backwards on the base (cowboy style!) to compress and seal the wax.   Worked perfectly.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 05:48:19 PM »
It sounds fairly easy.  I am a bit chicken for things like this, I have a vivid imagination for thinking of things that could go wrong.  Maybe some time when DD and her boyfriend are here.

You are well over 6 hours driving away, before stops, Ontario is a big province!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!