Author Topic: Accomplishments CTD (conception-to-date)  (Read 3948 times)

burly

• Stubble
Accomplishments CTD (conception-to-date)
« on: February 08, 2013, 09:48:56 AM »
So, I'm sitting here in the hospital with my wife waiting for our first baby to be born... just a few cm left to go, so I figure about 3-5 more hours before full dilation.. Anyways!

I was reading a lot of the accomplishments here and thought I would reflect on all the changes I've made since we found out my wife was pregnant.

1. Went from 5k to 30k in emergency fund. (will pay down some debt after babies here and health bills paid)
2. Sold many of my youthful toys.. (serious airsoft collection, bowflex weights, gaming computer, and other misc. electronics ) Pure elimination of 'stuff' - feels great
3. Maxed out my wife's IRA for 2012.
4. Put 4k into my health savings account.. (will be blowing my max cashout for my policy today)
5. Reduced living expenses to $1,200 per month (not including debt)
6. Refinanced student loans and car loans at substantially lower rate. 5% for student loans, 2.77% car loan
7. Put a plan to reduce all debt within 12 months
8. Received a ton of baby stuff for free! (1st grandchild on both sides has its perks!)
9. Reduced total cellphone bill to $45/mo (2 smart phones with straight talk - company reimburses mine)

We still have a nasty negative NW due to student loans, but after the baby's here we'll start pounding away at them rather than increasing our emergency fund.

#10. Will become a father in ~4 hours?

Phoebe

• Stubble
    • Phoebe's Journey
Re: Accomplishments CTD (conception-to-date)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 10:15:08 AM »
Way to go Nathan!! Those are some awesome accomplishments (especially becoming a father and upping your e-fund!).  I am also really impressed by your total cost for monthly living expenses - how did you get it so low?

burly

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 10:27:42 AM »
Well, we're fortunate that we do not pay rent or mortgage.. We live in my parents house since they are living on their sail boat for most of the year.

Our budget consists of (newly revised today @1303.33)
Groceries - $350/mo
Me Gas - $150/mo
Electric Bill - $200/mo (varies... jan was 300, but summers are around 50)
Car Ins + Maintenance - $125/mo
Restaurants - $125/mo
Allowance - $108.33 (each get $25 per pay period for fun money)
Baby - $100 (no idea on this, just a rough number to start off with)
Wife gas - $50 (was laid off before thanksgiving so really she doesnt even drive anywhere now)
Cable internet - $50
Cell Phones - $45/mo (2 straight talk phones iPhone & Nokia lumia, work reimburses mine)

Total is 1,303.33 now. (added baby's part)

feistygg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 10:35:56 AM »
That's awesome! Congratulations. Love your low budget!

burly

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 12:39:49 PM »
woohoo!

SunshineGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 01:04:00 PM »
Congratulations!!!!

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 04:12:21 PM »
This just won the thread of the week award.  Congratulations!  Squeeeeee, babies!  :)

savingtofreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 09:54:21 PM »
Wow congratulations!!! So exciting.

Also very impressive that you and your wife got your act together so quickly.  I have a girlfriend in a similar situation and they are making some tough decisions.

I hope to be there sometime soon too so trying to get the finances and house in order before then. 

Would love to hear your lessons learned about raising a frugal baby as you learn them.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 07:14:43 AM »
Congrats on both your newfound badassity, and your new infant!

Best of luck with the sleepless nights I hear about for new parents. :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

burly

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 07:24:01 PM »
So far I can tell you that people are extremely generous. My old boss is giving me all of his daughters clothes and baby items.. (she's about 1 yr old), so assuming that continues, I will have a nice flow used items!

Also, my mother-in-law and I ran out to buy premie clothes (my daughter is quite small!) and the woman at the register gave me her phone number and offered all of her daughters old clothes..

People are very generous when it comes to kids!

And yes, we don't sleep anymore. ~4hrs a day. The baby has her nights and weekends messed up.

Would love to hear your lessons learned about raising a frugal baby as you learn them.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!