Author Topic: A day of negotiations  (Read 1739 times)

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
A day of negotiations
« on: November 15, 2018, 12:51:27 PM »
Feeling accomplished.  Was on the phone a lot this morning.

- Found a cheaper auto insurance plan, saving ~15%.
- Got my internet bill reduced
- Got my cell phone plan reduced
- Successfully got Capital One to credit back my annual fee on my Spark business card (even though the fee hit like 6 months ago), and it has been permanently removed going forward.  My business puts huge spend on this card, just one less thing to think about.  They probably thought I was a cheap bastard requesting this be removed given how much volume we do on the card.  Recurring fees and spam are two things I try to eliminate from my life.  It seems to be an impossible battle, but I've reduced these things as much as I can.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 12:55:12 PM by dustinst22 »

Peter Parker

• Stubble
Re: A day of negotiations
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 09:35:07 AM »
I pick a date and go through all my expenses line by line.  I then ask myself these questions:

1.  Can it be eliminated?
2.  If it can be eliminated, do I want to eliminate it?
3.  If I don't want to eliminate it, can I find it cheaper (that's what you did)

It is amazing how billing continues to get higher and higher, but it is equally amazing how with a little work you can significantly reduce costs....insurance, cable, internet, phone, etc.

Nice job!

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 09:46:33 AM »
When my insurance was up for renewal I got a bunch of online quotes and ended up cutting the price in half. When I didn't see a referral bonus show up when it was supposed to I chatted with an agent and got him to apply it even though he said I forgot to enter the code. When I was charged bullshit long distance charges I got them credited after calling and explaining why I thought it was wrong. I always put up a fuss and most companies really don't want to lose you as a customer so it's better for them to just give you what you want keep you happy. When they won't I just switch, I saved over 50% on my internet by switching providers.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 04:17:07 AM »
I pick a date and go through all my expenses line by line.  I then ask myself these questions:

1.  Can it be eliminated?
2.  If it can be eliminated, do I want to eliminate it?
3.  If I don't want to eliminate it, can I find it cheaper (that's what you did)

It is amazing how billing continues to get higher and higher, but it is equally amazing how with a little work you can significantly reduce costs....insurance, cable, internet, phone, etc.

Nice job!

^+1

Since I fire'd it just about this time of the year I go through pretty much your list and a few other things and do the same thing. Seems like now is when I start to get the up charge on everything so at the very least I try to find away to get back to equal of what i was paying.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!