Author Topic: 7 years in...SWAMI status achieved!  (Read 3184 times)

HopefulMustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
7 years in...SWAMI status achieved!
« on: April 05, 2021, 02:01:15 PM »
Long time reader, first time poster

Wanted to share our successes with like minded Mustachians! Despite my 5 o'clock shadow status on my forum profile, it's been 7 years since I first devoured all the MMM articles and redesigned our lifestyle. In 2014, my then boyfriend (now husband) and I were working in a big city, at jobs we didn't love and were thinking of our next moves in life. I could not wrap my head around having to choose a career that I would be stuck in for the rest of my life (30+ years). My love of environmentalism and minimalism lead me down an internet rabbit hole that eventually lead me to MMM. I was hooked. Since that time we have relocated, changed careers, bought and paid off a house, eloped, and exercised our frugality muscles daily.

As of this week WE HAVE OFFICIALLY REACHED FIRE STATUS at the age of 30 + 31!!! (as we have more than enough saved to cover our annual expenses - and are members of the double comma club!)

We currently both have jobs that are flexible and will be working to scale back our responsibilities from full time to part time to achieve ultimate SWAMI status!

Since we aren't actually quitting, it's a little anti climactic as we aren't able to share this information with anyone and nothing in our daily lives has really changed.

We did have a little dance party to celebrate though!

Happy we can share this dope ass news with like minded individuals!

« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 02:03:19 PM by HopefulMustachian »

spartanswami

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: 7 years in...SWAMI status achieved!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 02:29:42 PM »
Congratulations!!

Anti-climatic yes, but something to celebrate and relish for sure.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 02:57:14 PM »
Impressive. Most impressive!

DirtDiva

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 07:56:10 AM »
Congratulations on a huge achievement.  You’re so young! I am truly amazed at your ability to make the changes to create  the life you wanted.  The world is your oyster!

smileyface

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 08:03:29 AM »
Wow! That's super impressive! Congratulations!

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 08:28:20 AM »
Congrats! I hope we get to that point in 2-3 years. Hopefully there is someone IRL that you can share this with and they will be excited for you.  I would love it if one of my friends told me this!  I wish I could let that be known, ha.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 10:40:57 AM »
wtf is swami

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/04/30/weekend-edition-retire-in-your-mind-even-if-you-love-your-job/

From the stream of interesting comments and the reader statistics, it seems we already have a broad and varied family of people reading together here at MMM. Some are looking to solve a problem of pressing debts and stress. Others are planning a full escape from the rat race. But a third category is the Satisfied Working Advanced Mustachian Individual (Swami).

Swamis have seen through the tricks of our consumer society for years, and as a result they live relatively efficient lives, and thus have no shortage of money. But they also are good at their jobs, and they enjoy them. Because of their financial independence, they have no fear of losing their jobs, and this actually makes them more valuable workers.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 01:37:29 PM »
Well done, @HopefulMustachian!

I hope you are starting to enjoy your part time adventures.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 04:51:13 PM »
A belated congratulations -- this is a great accomplishment, and you sound very happy.

It sounds like you've been investing for about 9 years max before hitting double commas, right?  It took us 18 years to get there, maxing out pre-tax all the way and then some.  But the bulk of that time was 2000-2009; be thankful you've been investing only during one of the longest bull markets ever!

The corollary: try to remain sanguine when the next crash comes.  Keep investing and you'll come out twice as strong on the other side.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2021, 07:38:51 AM »
Congratulations. SWAMI with FU Money is an awesome level to be at. You get to pull the strings or walk away when things aren't right. Double Comma, woo hoo! Keep the green army marching on course even if a crash occurs. Wife and I lived through the last one, the savings came in handy to pick up real estate (home and rentals).

Focus_on_the_fire

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2021, 10:38:13 AM »
YEAH!! So happy for you both. Nice job!

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2021, 06:44:26 AM »
Congrats on SWAMI status. I feel like this aspect has been underrepresented on MMM over the past 5 years. I would like to hear more stories similar to this. I am a self-proclaimed SWAMI and will most likely never retire. We will see what happens.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!